THE BROWNS BOARD

One to keep an eye on

gftChris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28206581

This will probably end up in court I guess, and I'm interested to see what happens, as I'm sure are plenty of people.

"A Christian-run bakery that refused a customer's request to make a cake with a slogan supporting gay marriage could face a discrimination case in court."

Exactly. Gay behavior is a twisted emotional ploy for attention,

so much so, that it should be considered part of the Don Quixote

syndrome.

See, Quixote was the fool who would fight windmills, just to fight, and

think that the impossibleness of winning makes him a martyr.

Being extremely off the wall, and demanding that the "off the wallness" be considered "normal",

is emotionally rewarding to some with desperate needs to attention.

That's my best guess to explain forcing a Christian baker to violate his beliefs and his own honor as a human being.

A lot like obamao trying to force Christian orgs to provide insurance for ALL 20 birth control methods,

instead of only 16.

don%20quixote.gif

It's all related to a twisted martyr complex.

Examples of martyrdom: (from Wikipedia)

Common features of stereotypical martyrdoms[6]

1. A hero A person of some renown who is devoted to a cause believed to be admirable.

2. Opposition People who oppose that cause.

3. Foreseeable risk The hero foresees action by opponents to harm him or her, because of his or her commitment to the cause.

4. Courage and Commitment The hero continues, despite knowing the risk, out of commitment to the cause.

5. Death The opponents kill the hero because of his or her commitment to the cause.

6. Audience response The hero's death is commemorated. People may label the hero explicitly as a martyr. Other people may in turn be inspired to pursue the same cause.

The trouble is, I don't see that being a martyr is all that

aggressive.

Forcing a Christian baker to bake a cake violating his beliefs, really, makes

the baker the martyr, He never chose the fight.

not the forcer. Don Quixote fought nonsense, impossible battles for the fight of it.

That's how i see it. It's like the left fighting to destroy, at first in part, our 1st and 2nd Amendments.

And real marriage. And private property ownership. And fighting for redistribution of wealth, from

those who have any wealth.

Like fighting to make perversion to be accepted as normal. That's the left - instigating nonsense fights

to destroy the "windmills" of society, to try to get the emotional return of a false martyrdom.

Cal knows a lot about being gay. Kosar

hey, I don't know a "lot" about much, and you know it....

(eh....wait a minute...that doesn't sound right...)

A question I want to know the answer to is with the limited scope of gay marriage, why do they keep targeting Christian bakers? Is it really that difficult to find a gay friendly bakery?

This is oy the second one we've heard about, right? Based on averages it was going to happen eventually. I can't say they're "targeting" anyone

I agree, how dare those gays try to get equal rights. Trying to force everyone into treating them the same. Just a liberal power play!

Luckiky, in a few years, your attitudes will be treated no better then a Klansman fighting for segregation. Sadly though, that isn't the case now.

If the klansmen want segregation, they're perfectly welcome to go and buy some land somewhere and not allow any black people to live on it. But if they go in to town trying to shoot dem negros, then there'll be consequences. If they try to go to court to plead that blacks (or any ethnic group) are second class citizens, then the case will be thrown out because they have no scientific grounds.

I wonder if the bakery actively advertised itself as Christian - otherwise there would be no way the couple knew they were 'targeting' anyone in particular.

gays are not an ethnic group. Color of skin is a meaningless, and extremely invalid factor when it comes

to human beings' rights, or respect.

Color of skin does not translate into a generalization of choices, or behavior.

the other, is a major behaviorial factor. It's a choice to be known as that.

liberals don't get much. They just see things emotionally, in any way that benefits them, and makes them

feel uplifted.

gays are not an ethnic group. Color of skin is a meaningless, and extremely invalid factor when it comes

to human beings' rights, or respect.

Color of skin does not translate into a generalization of choices, or behavior.

the other, is a major behaviorial factor. It's a choice to be known as that.

liberals don't get much. They just see things emotionally, in any way that benefits them, and makes them

feel uplifted.

You think it's a choice to be gay? Tell me, who in their right mind would *want* to be gay? I mean really now, look at all the shit they have to put up with.

Standard reply (to save time): they can choose not to sleep with other men.

And how exactly does that affect you?

You think it's a choice to be gay? Tell me, who in their right mind would *want* to be gay? I mean really now,

look at all the shit they have to put up with.

Shit on your dick can't be too much fun.

Robin Williams in 'Man of the Year' pretty much sums up my personal views on gay marriage:

"What do I think of gay marriage? Well, I believe that gays have every right to be just as miserable as the rest of us"

Having said that, why on God's earth would you sue someone who loathes your very existence in order to force them

to prepare something that you are going to eat?

So if I went to a bakery in the hood and ask them to bake me a cake with black people heads on a monkeys body?

Or perhaps and Muslim bakery and asked for Muhammad getting boned in the ass?

Or asking a kosher bakery for swastika cookies?

Of course I know the answer since some of you guys are so selective in your outrage.

WSS

Robin Williams in 'Man of the Year' pretty much sums up my personal views on gay marriage:

"What do I think of gay marriage? Well, I believe that gays have every right to be just as miserable as the rest of us"

Having said that, why on God's earth would you sue someone who loathes your very existence in order to force them

to prepare something that you are going to eat?

The special ingredients should give anybody reason to stop and think...

:o

WSS

You think it's a choice to be gay? Tell me, who in their right mind would *want* to be gay? I mean really now, look at all the shit they have to put up with.

Chris - you're being the liberal again. I never said being gay was a choice. What I refer to, is openly

telling people you are. It isn't supposed to make any difference, so why force others to know, then try to force

them to accept you, then sue them if they refuse to make you a cake? That is why "don't ask, don't tell" worked.

Liberals always want to force people to give up all their principles and beliefs, when the libs don't have beliefs.

See, if I was an alien from mars, I sure as hell wouldn't let it be known, eh? However, if I was a liberal,

and as usual, I wanted desperately to be a victim, why, I'd let everybody know, to force others to accept

me being from Mars, or I'd sue them for stuff, and call them "marsalienphobe" and...

see, Chris? and as to your last question - it affects me only when you try to force all of the rest of us

to bake cakes, condone your gayness in all public events and activities, be afraid to voice our

religious/moral beliefs.... let gay teachers teach kids that gayness is not abnormal or perverse, etc etc....or else.

So if I went to a bakery in the hood and ask them to bake me a cake with black people heads on a monkeys body?

Or perhaps and Muslim bakery and asked for Muhammad getting boned in the ass?

Or asking a kosher bakery for swastika cookies?

Of course I know the answer since some of you guys are so selective in your outrage.

WSS

I know what you're saying, but you're being quite extreme in your cases. Gay people have never attempted to persecute Christians in any way (although I'm sure someone will make a case for it happening in the last 5 years) - the other way round in fact, overwhelmingly.

It's difficult for me personally to come to a conclusion on this because, while I keep coming down in favour of not forcing Joseph & Mary's Bakery of Jesus to bake a fellatio cake, you are potentially opening a precedent for companies to opt out of a lot of things on religious grounds - and that starts getting in to shaky territory potentially. You start getting in to legal debates over interpretations of the bible - for example, whether you can refuse service for someone with a tattoo because it's against leviticus (and all the other stuff nobody really pays attention to anymore but is actually in there), or refusing service to someone who is divorced etc.

I have no doubt they have a moral objection to supporting something like this. I certainly wouldn't want to force them to do it. What should happen is that the gay couple here should respect the views of the bakers - like they're asking everyone else to accept their own views. The baker should advertise the fact, somehow, that they're christian, and would like to kindly decline the invitation to provide a custom cake supporting gay/divorce/tattoo* rights.

*delete as appropriate

I for one wouldn't want to force a tattoo artist to do something he objected to for obvious reasons. I also imagine that a cup of piss in your cake might even go undetected.

I will say that any group it goes out of their way to offend others should be held responsible for normal people disliking them.

But it's so much more fun to make headlines and pissed people off than to actually solve your problems isn't it?

WSS

Chris - you're being the liberal again. I never said being gay was a choice.

OK, my misinterpretation - but you certainly wouldn't be the first, hence my misunderstanding.

What I refer to, is openly telling people you are.

People don't run around screaming "I'm gay, look at my fabulous gay shoes and hairstyle!" It's just a bit obvious when walking around holding hands with your other half, perhaps having a cheeky kiss and generally being affectionate.

It isn't supposed to make any difference, so why force others to know, then try to force them to accept you,

You're not forcing people to know, you're living your life. Going to a romantic restaurant, for example and holding hands across the table. The things you do when you're in love. Am I shoving it down everyone's throat that I'm straight by having a cuddle with my gf?

As for forcing people to accept you, they're not asking for everyone to approve, just not interfere with things that don't affect them.

then sue them if they refuse to make you a cake?

See my previous post on that - the gay couple should just accept that the Christian baker is offended by it. They can feel free to tell all their friends that the baker refused to serve them, and then it's up to the friends if they want to boycott the baker - like Steve keeps saying about market forces.

That is why "don't ask, don't tell" worked.

A liberal policy, backed by you? Now I've seen everything ;)

Liberals always want to force people to give up all their principles and beliefs, when the libs don't have beliefs.

Wrong. Liberals want everyone to get along, and respect that other people have beliefs and try to co-exist - because it is possible. You'll find plenty of religious liberals.

See, if I was an alien from mars, I sure as hell wouldn't let it be known, eh?

Why?

However, if I was a liberal, and as usual, I wanted desperately to be a victim,

Objection, antagonistic!

why, I'd let everybody know, to force others to accept me being from Mars, or I'd sue them for stuff, and call them "marsalienphobe" and...

Why wouldn't you accept someone from Mars? Sure, they'd be different, but really, why would it matter? Of course, if they start attacking people, then no, you don't need to approve of that, but why would you not accept them if they were just living a normal life?

see, Chris? and as to your last question - it affects me only when you try to force all of the rest of us

to bake cakes

Should not, as per previous post

condone your gayness in all public events and activities,

In what way?

be afraid to voice our religious/moral beliefs....

People get it, Christians generally think gay people are evil and going to hell. But there are only about 2 billion Christians in the world, and yet you don't see WBC picketing a buddhist church telling them they're going to hell? Certain sections of the religious world feel they really need 'cure' all the gayness out of people, when gay people are just a very small fraction of the people who according to Christian beliefs are going to hell.

let gay teachers teach kids that gayness is not abnormal or perverse, etc etc....or else.

Let's bear in mind, the perversion is only in the eyes of religious people. For everyone else it's basically "dude, that's gross, but whatever makes you happy," and given that education should in theory be secular, there should be no teaching that being gay is wrong. I went to a secular school, and I wasn't taught anything about being gay. In fact, my primary school was Christian, and nothing was mentioned about being gay. There's no great indoctrination, you can't teach people to be gay.

Yeah, I basically am disagreeing with everything here, except the cake baking, as I've described above.

In what way?

eh. Lawsuits to allow gay scoutmasters.

Extremely off color gay parades, gay floats...

in front of children.

Forcing via the courts, a perverted new definition of marriage,

that has held for many centuries.

That's three.

Cal knows a lot about being gay. Kosar

hey, I don't know a "lot" about much, and you know it....

(eh....wait a minute...that doesn't sound right...)

except you "seem" to know about everything Obama does......................that you don't agree with

I suspect there's plenty we don't know about, yet......

Just like Bush the first, and Reagan, and Bush the dubbya

No one knows everything the potus does

Well, unless you were Billy Clinton. And then there is a HUGE multi-million dollar investigation.

And after all the money spent by Carl Rove and his buddies, we still don't know how many interns Good ole, Billy had.

We only know he had Monica.

In what way?

eh. Lawsuits to allow gay scoutmasters.

Why shouldn't there be gay scout masters? Seriously, not trying to be antagonistic, please elaborate. As you may recall I have a lot of experience in this area.

Extremely off colour gay parades, gay floats...in front of children.

Are you worried the children will be converted to gayness? Or will learn that it's ok to be true to yourself and love the person you love, regardless of gender?

Forcing via the courts, a perverted new definition of marriage, that has held for many centuries.

The definition of marriage has changed, many many times. Most recently about 150 years ago (in America) to make polygamy illegal. Prior to that as well, marriage was largely arranged by the parents (and still is in places today). You don't think changing from being forced to marry so that your family can gain social/political/financial status, to being able to marry who you love is a redefinition of marriage?

That's three.

Only responding to one point? By your logical that means you can't argue any of the others. Win! :D (I assume you just picked whichever you felt most needed answering in fact...)

I wish we lived in a world where people could openly discriminate, sure would make a lot of decisions much much easier.

anarchy is democracy taken seriously.

It seems like you can openly discriminate now.... There will just be consequences

Archived