THE BROWNS BOARD

Weeden & McCoy have good exhibition.

Dick Mellon

Brandon Weeden is among the NFL leaders in passing thus far, having a great day in a Cowboys uniform, posting a 111.oo QB rating, completing 13 outta 17 for 107 yards, with one TD, and zero INT's.

All yinz here who had such a raging hardon for him should check out his highlight reel from that game.

He looks great.

Colt McCoy posted the same good numbers, completing 8 outta 9 for 102 yards, one TD, and no INT's for a 150.oo QB rating.

Jason Campbell had an erratic outing, completing 8 passes, two of them for TD's and two for INT's, leading to a QB rating of 55.4.

Thad Lewis completed 10 out of 16 for 87 yards, no TD and one INT. He did not look that good and might get cut if BUF keeps only 2 QB's.

Check back later as more former Browns starters show that they can still play in the NFL.

Good reminder that you shouldn't pay too much attention to preseason games.

Discussions as such are not new for me.

Please forgive me, in that I look at these games from the perspective of a coach, rather than that of a fan.

I love the preseason, in that we get to see guys play that we otherwise rarely see.

I also love the human interest perspective of guys fighting for a job and a very good job at that.

The preseason should be very special to Browns fans coz yinz can see so many former Browns startng QB's.

We have thus far seen:

Weeded

McCoy

Campbell

Lewis

Stay tuned for:

Luke McCown

Bruce Gradkowski

Derek Anderson

Seneca Wallace? (last I checked he was waiting for his phone to ring)

Brandon Weeden is among the NFL leaders in passing thus far, having a great day in a Cowboys uniform, posting a 111.oo QB rating, completing 13 outta 17 for 107 yards, with one TD, and zero INT's.

All yinz here who had such a raging hardon for him should check out his highlight reel from that game.

He looks great.

Colt McCoy posted the same good numbers, completing 8 outta 9 for 102 yards, one TD, and no INT's for a 150.oo QB rating.

Jason Campbell had an erratic outing, completing 8 passes, two of them for TD's and two for INT's, leading to a QB rating of 55.4.

Thad Lewis completed 10 out of 16 for 87 yards, no TD and one INT. He did not look that good and might get cut if BUF keeps only 2 QB's.

Check back later as more former Browns starters show that they can still play in the NFL.

Yeah Weeden played great in preseason last year too. How'd that turn out?

Discussions as such are not new for me.

Please forgive me, in that I look at these games from the perspective of a coach, rather than that of a fan.

I love the preseason, in that we get to see guys play that we otherwise rarely see.

I also love the human interest perspective of guys fighting for a job and a very good job at that.

The preseason should be very special to Browns fans coz yinz can see so many former Browns startng QB's.

We have thus far seen:

Weeded

McCoy

Campbell

Lewis

Stay tuned for:

Luke McCown

Bruce Gradkowski

Derek Anderson

Seneca Wallace? (last I checked he was waiting for his phone to ring)

If you looked at them as a coach, you'd see that these guys are playing against second and third stringers and wouldn't put as much stock in their performances as you seem to be doing thus far.

If you were looking as a coach, you'd realize that the talent divide between offense and defense grows the further down the pecking order you get.

If you were looking at them as a coach, you'd realize that those four quarterbacks you mentioned have a combined 23 seasons of NFL experience and are playing against guys vying to make a starting roster.

If you were looking at these games as a coach, you'd realize that, for experienced NFL vets, preseason speed, team organization and individual player discipline is about 75% of what you'll see on Sundays in the regular season.

But you're not looking at them as a coach, you're looking at them as a fan of a rival team pretending to be a coach.

So, you can have your preseason "I told you so". Because when the regular season starts, these QB's are going to go back to doing what all former Browns QB's do...riding the bench.

Not sure why you're getting flak for an objective outlook on previous browns. To everyone who's being an asshole, nothing OP said implies that they're going to succeed in the regular season. I'm not surprised that Weeden and McCoy looked good against second stringers, they're about at the middle of the bell curve for backup QBs.

If you looked at them as a coach, you'd see that these guys are playing against second and third stringers and wouldn't put as much stock in their performances as you seem to be doing thus far.

If you were looking as a coach, you'd realize that the talent divide between offense and defense grows the further down the pecking order you get.

If you were looking at them as a coach, you'd realize that those four quarterbacks you mentioned have a combined 23 seasons of NFL experience and are playing against guys vying to make a starting roster.

If you were looking at these games as a coach, you'd realize that, for experienced NFL vets, preseason speed, team organization and individual player discipline is about 75% of what you'll see on Sundays in the regular season.

But you're not looking at them as a coach, you're looking at them as a fan of a rival team pretending to be a coach.

So, you can have your preseason "I told you so". Because when the regular season starts, these QB's are going to go back to doing what all former Browns QB's do...riding the bench.

Homey don't play dat game.

I'm not into the whole, "I told you so thing."

Yeh, OK, when I saw Weeden in college, I thought that he was a decent college grade QB, unlikely to be NFL starter quality.

I guess I was right about that one, which is quite notable coz I'm usually wrong about everything.

So many former Browns starting QB's in the NFL that every so often, they play against each other, which was the case today, when Thad Lewis (BUF) played against Drek Anderson (CAR).

Many consider Drek to be the best backup in the NFL and that may be true if Mike Vick continues to fight for and win that starting job with the J E T S.

So many former Browns starting QB's in the NFL that every so often, they play against each other, which was the case today, when Thad Lewis (BUF) played against Drek Anderson (CAR).

Many consider Drek to be the best backup in the NFL and that may be true if Mike Vick continues to fight for and win that starting job with the J E T S.

Why Browns have sucked = very good at acquiring quarterbacks with backup potential to be starting quarterbacks. Is that what you're getting at?

I dont agree that preseason is meaningless. I think you can get hints of what will happen during the season.

The flip side is if a player stinks it up in the preseason, the bust labels come flying out. If they do well and...oh its just preseason.

Agree... In preseason hints are there, on the tape. Where they are not, in the stats.

All we can effectively evaluate at home are the lines, the RBs and, to an extent, the LBs because they are on our tape from snap to either end of play or the ball is away.

We cannot effectively evaluate QBs, WRs and DBs... for that we need wide shots. Normally we only see those during replay teaching moments when our color commentator du jour wants to strut his stuff...

I think the quarterback position is difficult to evaluate during the preseason. The defenses dont gameplan and so many players are held out these days. Things that us armchair generals can look for are pocket presence. I was not a fan of Bridgewater and you saw his lack of pocket presence in his first preseason game. Its a trait that great quarterbacks have naturally. Manziel has excellent pocket presence. I think you have to see basic accuracy and how he runs the huddle and the tempo of the game.

Side note: Blake Bortles was impressive. You could see some good qualities.

Agree.. you can get a sense of a QB. Just saying that with out the full field view you cannot evaluate the reads or lack thereof and IMO that is what matters most in the NFL.

I disagree about Manziel's (shocker, I'm sure) pocket presense. Like most running QBs, I think he bails far to easily... but we shall see tonite.

I have not watched Bridgewater's Vikes debut as yet, but did watch most of the Jags/ Bucs game this AM.

Both starting QBs, McCown/ Henne, looked "dull" with McCown making the worst single throw of the nite, a classic back-footed INT.

Both 2nd teamers, Glennon/ Bortles, looked sharper... much more decisive in their throws.

I came away thinking that the Jags will be hard-pressed to stick to their QB plan.

This is the dumbest thing ever posted on TBB.

Weeden? McCoy?

Hey, let's just give them both the Lombardi, admit we were wrong, and move the franchise to Fargo.

Weeden is a Loser, McCoy is a nice guy, but still a loser.

The world is surely going to end because I agree with Ghoulie on this lol!!!

By the way ..................... is a Dick Mellon something like a cantaloupe??

Nine Browns starting QB's, past, present and future, after preseason week one, listed by passer rating in descending order.

1. Colt McCoy – 8/9 – 102 yards – 1 TD – 0 INT – 150.9 rating

2. Derek Anderson – 5/7 -- 65 yards – 1 TD – 0 INT – 139.9 rating (10 yards rushing)

3. Brandon Weeden -- 13/17 – 107 yards – 1 TD – 0 INT – 111.6 rating (10 yards rushing)

4. Bruce Gradkowski – 8/12 – 66 yards – 0 TD – 0 INT -- 80.6 rating

5. Johnny Football -- 7/11 – 63 yards – 0 TD – 0 INT – 79.0 rating (27 yards rushing)

6. Brian Hoyer – 6/14 – 92 yards – 0 TD -- 0 INT – 65.2 rating

7. Thad Lewis -- 16/27 – 150 yards – 0 TD – 1 INT – 59.2 rating

8. Jason Campbell – 6/15 – 72 yards -- 2 TD – 2 INT – 55.4 Rating

9. Luke McCown – 7/10 – 49 yards – 0 TD – 1 INT – 41.2 Rating

Archived