THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Lions Preseason Game Night Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pay most attention to penalties with the younger players. Those are a good indication how comfortable/confident they are out there.

Cut McFadden now. And send Thigpen along with him.

The mods got butthurt because I came in with sobering judgment about how the past Browns played. I was said to have been ALWAYS NEGATIVE. Hence the negative nancy avatar that they applied and locked to my name. Eh i dont care, its just a picture.

I'll see if I can get Zombo to relent on the Avatar.

If that's what you want, then you got the wrong guy. His running ability is emergency chord not a gameplan

Announcers said he took off with guys wide open- the same criticism I leveled at him at A&M. JF admitted he made some mistakes.

Exciting start for Manziel. Very happy.

Some boogers think I have a personal vendetta against Manziel- well, I don't. He did play well in his first outing.

Seriously. Qbs are throwing for 5000+ yrds and 50+ TDs a year. And the nfl is becoming more stringent on what corners can do???? What a fucking joke

You are not kidding- 5,000 yards passing is going to become the norm with the no-touchie rule.

We once again have a mediocre starting line up with no talent or depth on the second/third teams..

If pettine starts mr delicate (hoyer) with the second team guys during the pre-season he will not make it to start in the pukesburg game..

Yet again the lack of capability on either side of the ball and the obvious lack of coaching disipline with the second team thusfar is downright scary..

Manziel looked like colt mccoy 2.0 and saying the second team offensive line looked leaky was a severe understatement..

Pettine looks like a white copy of romeo crennel on the sideline while kyle shanahan looked more like the head coach another zombie dud defensive coach?

Hoping for a 5 win season may be asking to much of this bunch..

i was going to say......guy sounds like an asshole.

was he watching the same game everyone else was. lack of capability, on defense, really? you know Detroits offense is pretty good right? and for a couple of solo gaffs by certain players i thought they did above average,

ehh?

My take, As the season goes on, our run game is going to be beastly. Tate has to hold on to the rock though. We have 2nd team Dline that is just as good as the starters. Also, how good is the Bryant kid, the guy was always in the back field, what a find he was last year. Our offense was without Cameron, so I am not to worried about the WR's. if Gordon is gone then we may be in a little trouble. I was overall happy with the QB's, a few high passes, but overall not bad. I do have to say though, Manziel needs to slide feet first in stead of head first.

I was really impressed with the way Taylor Gabriel played. He was a decent return man and seemed to run some crisp routes and watch open a lot for Manziel.

Charles Johnson also looked pretty good once he got into the open field, although I do think I remember him having one bad drop.

Well for a good bit of the thread it was like I was watching a replay... and then the QB battle broke out...

I watched last nite as a fan, so only have a couple impressions to share at this point. I will breakdown the recording today or tomorrow... with the sound down because...

My first game impression was that Solomon Wilcotts was in mid-season form. I was so looking forward to the Detroit announcers in the 2nd half, but no... it was Solomon all the way. Don't know if I can handle any more of his inane color commentary.

My second game impression was that absolutely nothing happened to change the QB competition.

My third game impression was that we have a ways to go in all facets of the game. I was expecting better...

Well for a good bit of the thread it was like I was watching a replay... and then the QB battle broke out...

I watched last nite as a fan, so only have a couple impressions to share at this point. I will breakdown the recording today or tomorrow... with the sound down because...

My first game impression was that Solomon Wilcotts was in mid-season form. I was so looking forward to the Detroit announcers in the 2nd half, but no... it was Solomon all the way. Don't know if I can handle any more of his inane color commentary.

My second game impression was that absolutely nothing happened to change the QB competition.

My third game impression was that we have a ways to go in all facets of the game. I was expecting better...

Lol! Yes I was a little disappointed. The only place we have depth is at d line. Other than that if we lose a starter we're screwed.

I saw a ton of blitzing last night by the browns. Usually its just a vanilla defense for preseason but I guess pettine wants to use all this time to get the guys into the system.

I do think our running game will be improved. God knows it can't get worse.

Lol! Yes I was a little disappointed. The only place we have depth is at d line. Other than that if we lose a starter we're screwed.

I saw a ton of blitzing last night by the browns. Usually its just a vanilla defense for preseason but I guess pettine wants to use all this time to get the guys into the system.

I do think our running game will be improved. God knows it can't get worse.

I didn't understand all the blitzing either.

The running game can't be any worse then last year for sure

And the QB play can't do anything but improve.

You've been reading this board enough to know they are going with the local career backup, while hedging by saying Manziel needs time.

That way, when he eventually takes over, which is what you plan to do when you move up to take a QB in the 1st round, they can say "oh we were on board with Johnny all the time".

Mikey? That you?

We'll see next week whan he is with the 1's whether there is marked improvement.

IF that's still the plan... Pettine seemed genuinely pissed when asked about that report in the postgame...

"I haven't seen that report. That decision has not been made yet."

I think the above is close to a true quote. Not sure because it was edited out of the video on the Browns web site.

Tour-That seemed to be exactly what he said. That does not mean he closed the door, just that he had not decided yet. The reporter who said that he was told JM would start with the 1's did not attribute it to Pettine, just someone in the Brown's organization. Obviously it wasn't the HC.

I haven't read every comment but I am the only one who saw Manziel staring down receivers a decent bit last night? It's just one pre-season game but still those throws aren't gonna cut it in the regular season.

Certainly appeared to be the case as a prelude to a "one and done" progression. But as Pettine said in the presser, "I'm sure in some of the situations tonite he did not have much choice." ;)

Tour-That seemed to be exactly what he said. That does not mean he closed the door, just that he had not decided yet. The reporter who said that he was told JM would start with the 1's did not attribute it to Pettine, just someone in the Brown's organization. Obviously it wasn't the HC.

Agree... I still think JM starting against WSH is the likely scenario. But while that was openly discussed as a possibility over the past week or so, I got the impression that Pettine would like the name of the future-ex-employee that sourced that little tidbit as a certainty.

I haven't read every comment but I am the only one who saw Manziel staring down receivers a decent bit last night? It's just one pre-season game but still those throws aren't gonna cut it in the regular season.

I'm watching it on gamepass right now and that is the first thing I noticed. Staring them down big time.

I'm watching it on gamepass right now and that is the first thing I noticed. Staring them down big time.

Hoyer's high notes were the same as last year. He doesn't stare down receivers, makes quick decisions and gets the ball out quick. He was a bit off target. Manziel looked shifty, but needs to learn to slide. Some passes were great, others not so much. Room for improvement with both. No way to pin a starter yet

Hoyer's high notes were the same as last year. He doesn't stare down receivers, makes quick decisions and gets the ball out quick. He was a bit off target. Manziel looked shifty, but needs to learn to slide. Some passes were great, others not so much. Room for improvement with both. No way to pin a starter yet

I thought Manziel was on point with his runs, he slid or got out of bounds on all of em, the only time he was touched was inside the pocket.

First Pre-Season game not quite what I was expecting.

Lot of work to be done over the next few weeks or it's going to be a really long Season.

WR's . . . looking a bit rough right now.

Did Burleson even play, I don't recall seeing him targeted?

Krause is gone, his head seems to be somewhere other than Football.

Snead didn't help his case after hearing good things about him in TC.

Gabriel might be working himself into a spot.

OL needs work, especially the second teamers.

I saw one play where McQuistain (sp?) shot out and didn't seem to have anyone to block - meanwhile the rest of the line was collapsing.

Run game looks to have a bit more potential this year, though I was not real happy to see the ball on the ground like it was last night.

QB's were better than expected for the most part.

Considering Hoyer hasn't had any real action since the Buffalo game last year he looked good, even though he had a few high throws.

Manziel played better than I expected, though I don't know that I've seen a WR star down as bad as the first play he was in.

Overall I think Manziel looked good for a Rookie, but Hoyer's still the guy at this point - Manziel still has some plays and nuances to learn.

Thigpen looked decent until the 2 minute drill with 1:05 left - though it may be the plays called.

Every play during that drill it looked like they were going for the home run instead of moving the chains down the field - they had three timeouts still.

Special Teams looked bad on kickoff coverages.

They almost let a few of them go the distance - Oby saved one that I recall, the others were just long returns.

The Defense was softer than I expected and was a bit of a disappointment.

Considering they had the 1's in longer they didn't dominate.

The Run D was bad, there was one play they fell for three or four times for big gains.

Desir was a bit of a let down as well - another I've read good reports about in TC.

Robertson seemed to be better.

Kirksey, this kid looks good, if he keeps progressing and gains a bit more weight he could be a really good one.

Refs definitely need some work themselves.

We got robbed on the Fumble on the KO return, and then they took the TO from us as well, even though they admitted it was a Fumble and they'd made the wrong call.

You are not kidding- 5,000 yards passing is going to become the norm with the no-touchie rule.

Hell, they may get 5,000 yards in Penalties - what a total Bullshit rule change.

Outside of this rule, McFadden actually looked pretty good, now he's gone.

Like I said on another thread, we're going to get nailed by this new rule at the worst possible time, and last night we saw it - three in a row, and one Int taken back.

Might be difficult to watch Football this year with such nonsense going on, worse than usual.

Based solely on yesterday's game, I think we're better off starting Hoyer. Yes, it's clear Manziel has a MUCH higher ceiling, but Hoyer looked so smooth and got the ball out quickly. Just like he did last year before getting hurt.

The thing is, the reason Hoyer looks relatively good could be because we have rarely had good QB play since 99. We will see.

they were reporting on nfl network before the game last night that manziel is starting the next 2 preseason games. i didn't think much of it then, but now.......

they were reporting on nfl network before the game last night that manziel is starting the next 2 preseason games. i didn't think much of it then, but now.......

The conspiracy theorist in myself says ESPN and NFL told the Browns they would start Manziel against Robert Griffin the turd

I especially found the poor tackling troubling. I also saw defenders taking bad angles and essentially

running themselves out of the play.

I can see the upside in Manziel, but after last night I just hope they let him learn and don't rush him out there. There's still a ways to go till week one though so he might hit that curve by then.

Archived