THE BROWNS BOARD

There Were "Some" Positives

TypicalBrowns

Defense hasn't let up 6 yet to any first teamers. Red zone stand was AWESOME

KIRKSEY is developing

Dansby looked better

Armory Bryant was a STEAL and the best 7 th rd pick the Browns have had.

Haden is Haden

Gilbert was raw but had a pass break up and tackled well

Gipson with a good pick.

Our D line is crazy good, may have the best depth in the league

We did actually sack some QBs this time

There is not one positive on offense. Maybe Tate running the ball on a few early plays. O has a long way to go still

How do we lose if the other team also can't score? Defense looks astounding

Now the dust has settled, the biggest positive from an offensive standpoint is that this game didn't count. This game will put all the coaches to the test because there's A LOT of film to look at learn from. Sometimes that can be good for a team though to grow. That's what I'm telling myself anyway haha.

It can't be understated that the defense played well. Those penalties are a league wide problem that hopefully gets addressed. Mingo needs to find a nose for the ball but he's definitely showing flashes of disrupting the play.

I liked the defense, RBs and WRs (minus Puffy). Yes, I said WRs. I liked their separation last night............. That being said, I'm still pressing the panic button.

Positives for me:

Ben Tate ran well

Goal Line Stand

Armonty Bryant played very well. Again.

D in general

Special teams (missed FG aside), including returns.

Connor Shaw!

DL depth

Kirksey playing well, forcing robertson to step up. If they can both play, maybe that'll mean dansby can rest the odd snap.

Negatives:

Neither QB looked ready to take the starter's job, by some distance.

No receivers played well - even pro-bowlers Gordon and Cameron.

Royce Adams...

Terrance West didn't particularly impress, again. Call it small-school growing pains, and I think he'll be fine.

2nd team OL didn't look great, again.

I don't think that is how you spell his name, but yes, he looks fricking awesome.

Our DL is gangbusters. I'm not sure what we are doing with Sheard, he is too slow to cover receivers, I think I start Mingo and Freddie and use Sheard as a situational pass rusher.

With these new rules, all teams are going to pass 60-65% of the time, even on first down, and Sheard is a liability covering a back or tight end.

Zombo

With no offense, I'm not sure what RB you're watching? The West I'm seeing keeps his legs moving, doesn't go down on initial contact, and hits the hole with authority. Averaging just a hair under 4ypc

behind an admittedly leaky (at best) 2nd string Oline. I'd like to see him get more time with the 1st team squad. When he gets carries in the 2nd quarter, he'll rip off a run that's a physical 7-9 yard gain. Next play he'll have a guard blown back into his lap. My fear is that because he's had such shoddy oline play when he does get real game carries, he'll be prone to make things happen on his own instead of being patient and trusting the blocking.

With no offense, I'm not sure what RB you're watching? The West I'm seeing keeps his legs moving, doesn't go down on initial contact, and hits the hole with authority. Averaging just a hair under 4ypc

behind an admittedly leaky (at best) 2nd string Oline. I'd like to see him get more time with the 1st team squad. When he gets carries in the 2nd quarter, he'll rip off a run that's a physical 7-9 yard gain. Next play he'll have a guard blown back into his lap. My fear is that because he's had such shoddy oline play when he does get real game carries, he'll be prone to make things happen on his own instead of being patient and trusting the blocking.

No offense taken (assuming you're talking to me). Maybe I'm looking at it too much in yards gained, and he certainly ran with power. There were just a lot of times he got stuffed at the line, although that might have more to do with the OL. I'll rewatch at some point.

the scariest stat from last night was we lost a game (preseason or not) in which we created 5 turnovers ( 3 INT, 1 F, 1 Turnover on Downs) including a pick 6...I think the running game will have a much bigger impact on ball control behind a starting line and the opposition D wearing down over the course of the game - but talk about shitting the bed Brian Hoyer.., this job should be yours right now.

Our DL is gangbusters. I'm not sure what we are doing with Sheard, he is too slow to cover receivers, I think I start Mingo and Freddie and use Sheard as a situational pass rusher.

Pettine said Sheard was going to be Cleveland's Mario Williams... guess what... Mario can't cover either. Both are best utilized as 4-3 DEs... And Sheard simply cannot be opposite Krueger in a 3-4.

I have not broken down the tape yet, but so far I'm not seeing the rebirth Kruger's been touting. Good pressure once or twice, but only sack was due to Winn flushing RG3 out. And on one off-tackle run Kruger set the edge, but did not shed the blocker to make the tackle.

Sorry... was supposed to be about positives in this thread.

D-line was stout... Phil and Armonty seemed to stand out. Especially the latter who tried to impersonate Clowney with his run-stuff/ sack daily double...

Big Phil was doing his best Shaun Rogers impression early on. I know lateral movement is important in defending the stretch play but Phil carried the center towards Morris a couple times early on. That disrupts everything from the Center exchange to the pull to the RB's read. Even Hughes did that a bit later. Very encouraging. As for Kruger? Well, he isn't doing that damned jump step anymore. You know, like last year when he'd take a half step to the outside of the tackle, then try to go inside shoulder like he was crossing him over.

Mingo had some nice pressures. On that first pass to Jackson, Mingo put the spin move on the tackle but took it a bit wide. (while being slightly held) - If he tightens that move up, he'll be in RG3's back pocket. Played the roll out quite well.

Armonty has a motor from hell, I love that kid. The 2nd team pass rush with a combination of him, Winn and Sheard or Kruger should keep us humming along. All in all, I'd expect the run game to be much more prevalent in the regular season. Especially when we're that high on the +margin of the turnover ratio. Basically this team needs to emulate the 2011 Niners.

What about the most obvious positive? JM looked so bad last night that we probably won't have as many fanbois on here trying to type messages while performing fellatio on their hero at the same time.

Will certainly cut down on the misspellings and bad grammer in the future.

I thought D looked pretty good.

Was really impressed with West and Bryant. West may be out best rb. Bryant was a great pickup.

Offensive line, especially depth there, wr drops, and bad qb play plague us as they have for many years.

Defense hasn't let up 6 yet to any first teamers. Red zone stand was AWESOME

KIRKSEY is developing

Dansby looked better

Haden is Haden

Gilbert was raw but had a pass break up and tackled well

Gipson with a good pick.

Our D line is crazy good, may have the best depth in the league

We did actually sack some QBs this time

There is not one positive on offense. Maybe Tate running the ball on a few early plays. O has a long way to go still

How do we lose if the other team also can't score? Defense looks astounding

The last part. We will lose if the O does the same as last year with three and outs over and over and over again. D gets tired, they start giving up points. I hope it's not the same shit over again this year, but judging from last night.....

Defensive depth is most impressive and will keep the Browns in games all the way to the end. They may not wear out as much as some think due to so many players that are first level caliber at least two deep. Kirksey is headed for greatness.

On O West and Tate give what is needed for an O line that will struggle on passing plays.

I'm really not all that worried about QB. Once one is chosen and given all the reps with first team things will clean up a lot. That two possession merry go round was a really crappy idea. Made everyone look much worse that they really are.

But we still really need a stud at RT to go with Thomas on the other side. Atlanta had that in Jake Matthews until the LT went out for the season. Matthews is now switching to LT. The Browns need a player with that kind of versatility on the R side.

I'm still willing to give Schwartz more time. He had a solid game against a superior Dline in Detroit.

He looked good when I went to camp. The line as a whole didn't have a good game. Getting a more established #1 under center will help with a lot of that and vice Versa.

Edit: speaking of versatility, Schwartz was a starting left tackle at Cal for the tail end of his career. That should speak volumes to his potential.

The biggest positives(and I do see many) are that 4 of our first 5 picks look very good right away!....I don EVER remember such a solid early showing from a group of rookies.....anyway, the game was rough.....I know well get better.....this is a fun watch after what weve been through......

Archived