THE BROWNS BOARD

2014 Full In-Depth Schedule Analysis

TheClevelandSound

Hey guys...I'm back! Sorry for the absence. A lot has been going on over here but I will be back posting and modding as usual.

'Tis the season.

I recently accepted a job as a Cleveland Browns columnist for Hound Sports Live. There is an article I definitely need to share with everyone, as the season is about to commence.

http://houndsports.com/cleveland-browns-2014-season-prediction-depth-analysis/

If you are too lazy to click on the link, and please click, as I get credit for shares and hits, I will post the general texts of the article below. Let me know what you think!

---------------------------------------------------------

The season is now ready to begin. The schedule is out, the preseason is over, and the final cuts have been made. As a life-long Browns fan, this time of year brings unwarranted optimism and hope. However, the final result is always disappointment. Now, I will take you through an objective week-by-week analysis of the 2014 Cleveland Browns season and predict how our beloved Brown & Orange will fair this upcoming year. Enjoy!

Week 1: Cleveland Browns @ Pittsburgh Steelers, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Ben Roethlisberger

Team Stud: Antonio Brown

Head Coach: Mike Tomlin

2013 Record: 8-8 (T-2nd AFC North)

Last Matchup: 20-7 loss, 2013 Week 17

Analysis: The Cleveland Browns had a rough preseason but finished on a high note with some signs of fluidity from Brian Hoyer and the first team offense. The defense has struggled at times, but Joe Haden and Buster Skrine were not in the lineup, changing the whole complexity of the defensive backfield. Expect the Browns defense to be as solid as ever come opening day. This will be a low scoring game, but the Browns inept offense will inevitably allow the Steelers to prevail.

Conclusion: Steelers 21, Browns 13

Week 2: Cleveland Browns vs. New Orleans Saints, 1:00 PM, FOX

Opposing QB: Drew Brees

Team Stud: Jimmy Graham

Head Coach: Sean Peyton

2013 Record: 11-5 (2nd NFC South)

Last Matchup: 30-17 win, 2010 Week 7

Analysis: The Browns have never faired well in home openers or season openers. This year doesn’t look much easier, as the always potent offense of Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints travel to town. Not only are the Saints always dangerous through the air, but their defense stepped up tremendously last year under the direction of former Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Last time the Browns and Saints met, the Browns prevailed 30-17 at the Super Dome in 201o, so anything is possible. However, barring a miracle, this game belongs to the Bayou.

Conclusion: Saints 28, Browns 16

Week 3: Cleveland Browns vs. Baltimore Ravens, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Joe Flacco

Team Stud: Haloti Ngata

Head Coach: John Harbaugh

Last Matchup: 24-18 win, 2013 Week 9

Analysis: By now, the morale of the fan base is down but the hype to get Johnny Manziel in the fold is as high as ever. If Brian Hoyer doesn’t step up to the plate in Week 3, his starting role is in serious doubt after the Bye Week. Hoyer, known for his competitive smarts, steps up to the challenge. His chemistry with his receivers is finally there and he is ready to take the 2014 Browns to their first win. The Ravens are coming off a disappointing year and their defense is a far cry from what it was a few years ago. Their offense is strong but Joe Haden has one of those games and locks down a speedy Torrey Smith.

Conclusion: Browns 24, Ravens 20

Week 4: Bye Week

Week 5: Cleveland Browns @ Tennessee Titans, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Jake Locker

Team Stud: Kendall Wright

Head Coach: Ken Whisenhunt

2013 Record: 7-9 (2nd AFC South)

Last Matchup: 31-13 loss, 2011 Week 4

Analysis: With a young and injury prone QB in Jake Locker and an unproven team, the Titans are a big question mark this season. Their defense is their strong suit with veterans like Bernard Pollard, Kameron Wimbley, and Jason McCourtey. However, their receivers are extremely young and still learning the ropes of the NFL. The Browns will be able to shut this team down for most of the game, but will also struggle to score points themselves. The Browns will come away winners in a close thriller.

Conclusion: Browns 13, Titans 9

Week 6: Cleveland Browns vs. Pittsburgh Steelers, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Ben Roethlisberger

Team Stud: Antonio Brown

Head Coach: Mike Tomlin

Last Matchup: 20-7 loss, 2013 Week 17

Analysis: For some reason, the Browns tend to play the Steelers like a completely different team when they are at home. The dawg pound will be loud for this one and Hoyer will yet again, have one of those games where he shows what he learned under Tom Brady. Miles Austin and Jordan Cameron will play major roles in this game and the Browns will play a high scoring, close game. The wait for Johnny Manziel continues.

Conclusion: Browns 31, Steelers 28

Week 7: Cleveland Browns @ Jacksonville Jaguars, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Chad Henne

Team Stud: Toby Gerhart

Head Coach: Gus Bradley

2013 Record: 4-12 (3rd AFC South)

Last Matchup: 32-28 loss, 2013 Week 13

Analysis: If there was ever a game the Browns should dominate, this is that game. Jacksonville is in a total rebuilding mode. Although their defense shows some promise, their offense has a tremendous lack of playmakers. For some reason, no matter how good or bad they are, they always play the Browns close. However, the Browns will run the ball effectively against this lackluster team. Ben Tate will have the game of his season.

Conclusion: Browns 16, Jaguars 7

Week 8: Cleveland Browns vs. Oakland Raiders, 4:25 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: David Carr

Team Stud: Sebastian Janikowski

Head Coach: Dennis Allen

2013 Record: 4-12 (4th AFC West)

Last Matchup: 20-17 win, 2012 Week 13

Analysis: The Raiders always bring their A-game when playing the Browns, and this is no exception. David Carr has looked impressive so far in the 2014 season and the Browns defense has a bad day. Buster Skrine gets beat throughout the day by speedy receiver Denarius Moore and the front 7 fails to get in the Raiders backfield. The offense plays well, but it’s not enough.

Conclusion: Raiders 26, Browns 15

Week 9: Cleveland Browns vs. Tampa Bay Buccanneers, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Josh McCown

Team Stud: Vincent Jackson

Head Coach: Lovie Smith

2013 Record: 4-12 (4th NFC South)

Last Matchup: 17-14 loss, Week 1 2010

Analysis: The Buccaneers, with new head coach Lovie Smith, have been predicted to be the surprise team of the season. I will continue with that status quo. This team has a stout defense and a prolific offense that many teams will find hard to beat. Hoyer will commit a few turnovers and chants of “JOHNNY, JOHNNY, JOHNNY” will ring out through First Energy Stadium. This one will be ugly.

Conclusion: Buccaneers 28, Browns 10

Week 10: Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals, 8:25, NFL Network

Opposing QB: Andy Dalton

Team Stud: AJ Green

Head Coach: Marvin Lewis

2013 Record: 11-5 (1st AFC North)

Last Matchup: 41-20, 2013 Week 11

Analysis: The Browns seem to always play well on primetime, and this is no exception. The Browns play the Bengals tough, without exception, every single year regardless of both teams records. Joe Haden has had AJ Greens number for their entire careers, so you can count him out as a factor in this game. Hoyer manages the game well but is clearly still rattled from the previous week. The Browns prevail in an OT thriller, making this a possible turning point in their season.

Conclusion: Browns 21, Bengals 18

Week 11: Cleveland Browns vs. Houston Texans, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Team Stud: Jadaveon Clowney

Head Coach: Bill O’Brien

2013 Record: 2-14 (4th AFC South)

Last Matchup: 30-12 loss, 2011 Week 9

Analysis: The Houston Texans are in an extreme rebuilding mode and the Browns easy season schedule is boding well for their confidence. This game is all about the defense and Ben Tate showing his old team what they are missing. Simple enough, Browns win.

Conclusion: Browns 30, Texans 21

Week 12: Cleveland Browns @ Atlanta Falcons, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Matt Ryan

Team Stud: Julio Jones

Head Coach: Mike Smith

2013 Record: 4-12 (T-3rd AFC South)

Last Matchup: 20-10 loss, 2010 Week 5

Analysis: The Atlanta Falcons are not the same team they were in 2013. They have Julio Jones back and their defense is finally healthy. This team will play as the Falcons have always played in the 21st Century and the Browns will be overmatched on all fronts. Chalk this one up to a loss that is expected around the fan base.

Conclusion: Falcons 24, Browns 14

Week 13: Cleveland Browns @ Buffalo Bills, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: EJ Manuel

Team Stud: Sammy Watkins

Head Coach: Doug Marrone

2013 Record: 6-10 (4th AFC East)

Last Matchup: 37-24 win, 2013 Week 5

Analysis: This game is all about Mike Pettine coming into Buffalo. The Bills will have a chip on their shoulder with Pettine leaving them after such a good performance last year. Not only that, but Sammy Watkins will have that same chip with the Browns trading down in the draft and passing on Watkins. If EJ Manuel is healthy, the Browns could be outmatched. Hence, I am giving the Bills the upper hand.

Conclusion: Bills 14, Browns 12

Week 14: Cleveland Browns vs. Indianapolis Colts, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Andrew Luck

Team Stud: Reggie Wayne

Head Coach: Chuck Pagano

2013 Record: 11-5 (1st AFC South)

Last Matchup: 17-13 loss, 2012 Week 7

Analysis: This is another game of reunions with Rob Chudzinski, D’Qwell Jackson, and Mike Adams making their returns to Cleveland. However, all eyes will be on Andrew Luck. At this point in the season after some bad loses, Johnny Manziel has been given the keys to the car and two young quarterbacks will square off in an old fashion showdown. This will be a high scoring affair as both defenses will be tired come the end of the season. However, with the obvious abilities of Luck, the Colts will prevail as Johnny Manziel will lose his first start in the NFL.

Conclusion: Colts 34, Browns 27

Week 15: Cleveland Browns vs. Cincinnati Bengals, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Andy Dalton

Team Stud: AJ Green

Head Coach: Marvin Lewis

2013 Record: 11-5 (1st AFC North)

Last Matchup: 41-20, 2013 Week 11

Analysis: At this point in the season, the fans are looking forward to the 2015 draft and some fans are stupidly wanting the team to tank for a good draft pick. The Browns morale is low. Just like last year, the team gets off to a good start in this game but eventually collapses in the 4th quarter and the Dalton-Green connection will once again conquer the Browns in crunch time.

Conclusion: Bengals 26, Browns 13

Week 16: Cleveland Browns @ Carolina Panthers, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Cam Newton

Team Stud: Greg Hardy

Head Coach: Ron Rivera

2013 Record: 12-4 (1st NFC South)

Last Matchup: 24-23 win, 2010 Week 12

Analysis: The Panthers and The Browns have the same offensive problem in the 2014 season: they have no proven receivers. The Panthers lost their long-time veteran Steve Smith to free agency (signed with the Baltimore Ravens). They picked up marginal free agents such as Jericho Cotchery and Jason Avant and also drafted first round pick Kelvin Benjamin out of Florida State. However, they do have something the Browns don’t have: Cam Newton. The former Auburn QB shined last year and took his next step forward into becoming a franchise QB. 2014 is a year to prove that he can swing with the big boys, and this game will show that in action. Although the Browns will put up a fight, it won’t be enough.

Conclusion: Panthers 23, Browns 20

Week 17: Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens, 1:00 PM, CBS

Opposing QB: Joe Flacco

Team Stud: Haloti Ngata

Head Coach: John Harbaugh

Last Matchup: 24-18 win, 2013 Week 9

Analysis: By now, Cleveland Media has spurred rumors of yet another coaching change, but smart fans won’t have it and neither will the team. The players are completely behind Coach Pettine and although the record may not show it, Pettine has done as much as he could do with the roster he was given. He also turned the team into a Top 10 defense and built momentum for the 2015 season. The team plays strong in the finale, but once again, the ghost of Art Modell strikes and Baltimore wins on a game winning field goal, sending them to the playoffs.

Conclusion: Baltimore 20, Browns 17

2014 Record: 6-10 (4th AFC North)

I gave it a click (maybe I'll give it a few more for good measure if they don't go by ip addresses.)

I think this is a very realistic prediction, and honestly 6-10 is a step in the right direction, as 6 wins are better than 4. Can't see Pettine et al getting fired after a season like that

13-3

I wouldn't try to prognosticate in such detail past week 1 until after that game. Until we see how they play it is all pure speculation with little basis in what the reality may be.

That's what l was thinking. Seems like a lot of work when halfway through the season a fair amount of teams turn out better or worse than expected.

Based upon your past, overly optimistic predictions I think you are suffering from once, twice, thrice burned syndrome.

A good bit of your early analysis struck me as reasonable, but you lost me in the season's second half. EJ and the Bills are going to beat us at home? What is your prediction for a staff that finishes a 6-4 start with your 0-6 collapse?

Edit: FYI... Last year I predicted 6-10 and in 2012 5-11. This year I'd been at 8-8, but have just crept up to 9-7...

... and I gave you a click...

Edit: FYI... Last year I predicted 6-10 and in 2012 5-11. This year I'd been at 8-8, but have just crept up to 9-7...

... and I gave you a click...

I had us at 6-10 last year too.....and we definitely had the talent to be better than that.....we were in so many games that we just collapsed at the end....

I think weve corrected and really strengthened several areas like OL, corner, linebacker, running back.....but whats not mentioned too often, that I think will make a huge difference, are the additions of Dansby and Hitner and the leadership they provide!.......

They have the killer instinct and never say die leadership this team has been lacking and they WILL make a huge difference in the attitude of our players.....I think now, when we get the lead(which we did regularly last year), we will expect to hold it and succeed......So, Im looking for 8-8 maybe 9-7....we just gotta start strong and get on a roll......who know, if one of the QB's starts clicking and we are fired up.....10-5 isn't out of the question.....

I am glad you ended up at 6-10 because to me that's the Mendoza line. Anything less and I'll be disappointed. Anything more and I'll be the first to shout "exceeded my expectations". It's a tough early schedule and a team with many rookies so we fans have to be patient. A game 1 loss in Pitt is an easy prediction. But an upset this Sunday could propel the team on a different trajectory. If I ever wanted a W in a regular season game, this might be my first wish. Go Browns!!!

Archived