THE BROWNS BOARD

2013 victory over Bengals = key to beating Pitt tomorrow

Frenchie

As a warm up to tomorrow, I rewatched last year's game 4 (a victory against the Bengals). Keys to victory were: Defense: 1) Stout against the run; 2) Skrine/Hayden played really well (Hayden covering Green but Skrine with key interception and a hard-hit on 4th down late in the game to break-up a long pass attempt). Need for improvement: Pass Rush and covering the Tight End on a route behind the middle linebackers. Offence: 1) Well balanced (this was Obi's and McG's best game) run/pass with excellent short screen plays. 2) Good pass protection/timing/accuracy/catching the ball -especially in the first half. (Great game by Bess). 3) OL opened running lanes and protected Hoyer. Need for improvement: 1) Stretch the field with long pass attempts ( even if they are lower percentage plays, Hoyer has the arm, the WR's have the speed). 2) Creativity - throw in a reverse or pump-fake or something new at least once. 3) Reduce failure rate of trying to run for one yard when everybody knows it's a running play (i.e. 3rd and 1 or 1st and goal from the 1).

What are your thoughts on keys to the game this Sunday.

Last year's final game was pretty competitive until Campbell got hurt in the mid- second quarter (eventually replaced by Weeden in the 3rd quarter) and we had many turnovers (Obi fumble leads to FG, Campbell Strip Sacked TD, and Weeden had an almost pick-6 (to the 4 yard line which became a TD on the very next play). We can't give them 17 points like that tomorrow. I think this game will be closer than most experts are predicting. Let's hope we see a different team out there!

Archived