THE BROWNS BOARD

2014 Week 1 Game Impressions: Browns @ Steelers

Tour2ma

What a shame that after 40 years as a fan, I create this user name. Ever since the move to baltimore, this team does NOT know how to win. Doesn't matter who coaches or who plays. we used to be known as the cardiac kids. Glad they made adjustments and played their hearts out in the 2nd half, but I'll be honest, I am absolutely fed up with being competitive and still losing week after week and ending up 4-12, 5-11, etc! Many thanks Modell, maybe they should start calling the Squealers the new cardiac kids. P.S. How about the play of Hoyer and our RB's today? With Ben Tate again suffering a knee issue, I think Terrance showed some great moves today.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rookie coach... rookie coaching decision... should've tried the FG.

Gilbert has a lot of growing up to do. It's going to be tough playing opposite Haden all season. He'll continue to be picked on, and really needs to step it up.

All in all, I'm not happy with a L, but I feel much better about this team NOW than I did at halftime.

Go Browns!!

He needs A LOT of improvement. He was out of position on the fake punt, and got smoked all day by the stoolers Wr's . He better get better quick

Haden didn't look too good today either. But improvement like a mofo in the second half. I expected to lose this game by a lot more points. I think we take them at home.

I absolutely do not understand how you do not try a 54 yd. game winning field goal with no wind and sunny skies 70 degrees to win the game with 4 minutes. Perhaps that is a head coach with a defensive mindset. Either way, if we pin them at the 1 yd line Big Ben will still burn one of your younger DB's to get into FG range.

Rookie coach... rookie coaching decision... should've tried the FG.

Gilbert has a lot of growing up to do. It's going to be tough playing opposite Haden all season. He'll continue to be picked on, and really needs to step it up.

All in all, I'm not happy with a L, but I feel much better about this team NOW than I did at halftime.

Go Browns!!

But Pettine and his staff showed today they are good enough for the NFL. Although I'm sad for this loss, I'm very positive for our season after today.

Dont push it vagitron

Teams make adjustments all season long. The steelers killed themselves with penalties in the second half and couldn't get the defense off the field as a end result. All of which lead to a run down defense in the second half.

Shanahan and Pettine, you definitely showed you know your trade. It is a shame that you will both have to experience the "brownscurse." Hopefully, after a couple of years in the brownscurse you will move on to greener pastures, where you can win, and we can bring in the next regime to also suffer the same fate. If Haslam was smart, he would not have bought the cursed franchise. Over time, this will be quite a blow to his ego. Did y'all see how redfaced he was in the booth when we started launching the comeback. I'd almost rather have had them flop like the old "Aints" of the 80's with their brown paper bag fans. At least, then, we could have an excuse (lack of player talent, coaching, etc). Bottom line is: We have talent: and great coaching. What I do know is this: With Brady or Peyton or Drew or Ben at QB, and Dorsett, Franco, Peyton, Dickerson, et al at RB, and Lynn Swann and Antonio Brown and Fitzgerald at WR, -- we still lose this game if they are in a Browns uniform. The curse lives on. Maybe I should embrace it instead of feeling frustrated.

Oh yea, you got it all figured out after week 1?

You guys sure don't- sweating bullets in the second half? Hmmmmm? Once the Browns shook of fthe preseaon rust- you had a ballgame on your hands.

You know guys I'm just so damn tired of talking about the "moral victories" season after season. It sucks, they looked good sure but the game was there to win. The browns, per the usual, played not to lose and lost the game. My only hope is that becomes a mistake Pettine makes once.

I absolutely do not understand how you do not try a 54 yd. game winning field goal with no wind and sunny skies 70 degrees to win the game with 4 minutes. Perhaps that is a head coach with a defensive mindset. Either way, if we pin them at the 1 yd line Big Ben will still burn one of your younger DB's to get into FG range.

And had we tried and missed the FG and the Steelers scored after being given the short field what woulod the two of you be saying?

I could not disagree more. Based upon what the D had done all 2nd half long... including the prior series where they had to shut down the Steelers twice due to the 4th down conversion n the fake punt... it was the right decision.

If there was an error it was in not staying with what worked on both sides of the ball late in the game.

Steelers played pinned up against their own endzone too many times In the second half and there is nothing slow about the steelers defense. We were giving up stupid penalties. Just gotta clean up their execution.

Bullshit... you came out of halftime feeling the game was won and got your ass handed to you in the second half.

See you in a couple weeks...

Shanahan and Pettine, you definitely showed you know your trade. It is a shame that you will both have to experience the "brownscurse." Hopefully, after a couple of years in the brownscurse you will move on to greener pastures, where you can win, and we can bring in the next regime to also suffer the same fate. If Haslam was smart, he would not have bought the cursed franchise. Over time, this will be quite a blow to his ego. Did y'all see how redfaced he was in the booth when we started launching the comeback. I'd almost rather have had them flop like the old "Aints" of the 80's with their brown paper bag fans. At least, then, we could have an excuse (lack of player talent, coaching, etc). Bottom line is: We have talent: and great coaching. What I do know is this: With Brady or Peyton or Drew or Ben at QB, and Dorsett, Franco, Peyton, Dickerson, et al at RB, and Lynn Swann and Antonio Brown and Fitzgerald at WR, -- we still lose this game if they are in a Browns uniform. The curse lives on. Maybe I should embrace it instead of feeling frustrated.

With all due respect, this curse thing is bullshit.

And had we tried and missed the FG and the Steelers scored after being given the short field what woulod the two of you be saying?

I could not disagree more. Based upon what the D had done all 2nd half long... including the prior series where they had to shut down the Steelers twice due to the 4th down conversion n the fake punt... it was the right decision.

If there was an error it was in not staying with what worked on both sides of the ball late in the game.

If we missed the FG, why would the D not be able to hold them if they had done so the entire 2nd half?

New FO

New Coaching Staff

Huge Roster turnover

Goofy Pre-Season "QB Competition"

New Defensive Schemes

New Complicated Offense

I have to tell ya, I thought what we were seeing the 1st half was this year's version of the Browns - it wasn't pretty and I was questioning whether to even watch it

2nd half . . . wow, haven't seen this Team come with adjustments and execution like that in more years than I care to admit.

Need to cut back on some of the cutesy type plays a bit, and a few series like that last drive play selection (awful).

I may be wrong, but it looks like we at least have a spark.

If we can build on what was shown in the 2nd half of today's game, then this Team may well have just turned the corner.

Need to see what we look like next week, but if we can come out of these first three games at least 1-3 we may be competitive this year.

Today is the first day I have actually considered removing my Browns License Plate (and I live in Nacogdoches, TX) Perhaps if I burn it, the curse will be browken. ha, ha

really? pleez do it. because we don't like little limp pickled fairies here. we like big hard cocked punch your girl in her donkey hole MFers.

while taking off that license plate on your bike please remove the doll basket from the front handlebars and the big 8' neon orange flag announcing your arrival from 50 yards.

if i was to browken your face in texas would i be iiebell in NY? or could we trade a dead deer for a dead armadillo (you bustle of tumbleweed catcher)?

Was the cardiac kids also bullshit? I think not. That team could pull it out at the very end; you simply knew it was coming. Of course the curse is BS, I'm just trying to lighten the sadness. Un giornio, il Browns vinceranno

I hear ya, but we didn't always pull it out, and in fact we lost it that way once or twice (Vikings game comes to mind).

With the new CBA, Teams can't practice like they used to back then - no two a days, three a days, and so forth.

Hell, our O-LIne is still gelling, and the Players are still learning the Playbook (Offense).

From what I've read and seen about this Offensive scheme is crazy complicated (18 words for a play?).

I really didn't expect to see Hoyer come out and have success with the up tempo Offense in the 2nd half as I've read they're no where near being ready for it (had a miscue or two today in it).

I'm tired of the loosing too, but at least I saw something today I haven't seen in some time.

Gotta agree with you. Missing that field goal could swing momentum and gives them a short field. Pin them back and rely on D. Too bad they didn't get the ball stopped at the 1 yard line.

Archived