THE BROWNS BOARD

2014 Week 1 Game Impressions: Browns @ Steelers

Tour2ma

And had we tried and missed the FG and the Steelers scored after being given the short field what woulod the two of you be saying?

I could not disagree more. Based upon what the D had done all 2nd half long... including the prior series where they had to shut down the Steelers twice due to the 4th down conversion n the fake punt... it was the right decision.

If there was an error it was in not staying with what worked on both sides of the ball late in the game.

Well I could not disagree more with you either. What you are describing is playing not to lose. The Browns have implemented that strategy about 40 times the past 6-7 seasons and lose almost every time. As Herm Edwards said "You play to win the game!". Punting there was playing not lose, period. If they miss that field I applaud that they had the balls to go for it, everytime.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong, but it looks like we at least have a spark.

... and it did not even involve Johnny Sparkplug... ;)

Speaking of which... I did not see him holding a clipboard all game. Does he still get a game check?

I actually enjoyed watching this game. There is a lot of hope from a lot of new players on this team. I expect the season to improve from here. I suspect we will see a lot more of the second half kind of play from the opening ko. The hurryup offense should be run from 1st possession on.

You guys sure don't- sweating bullets in the second half? Hmmmmm? Once the Browns shook of fthe preseaon rust- you had a ballgame on your hands.

Rust? Terrance west and Cromwell were both fresh and running the ball well out of a no huddle. It was a nice second half for the browns but teams make adjustmemts from week to week. If ike Taylor could just catch the momentum would have shifted much earlier in the second half. Penalties and an effective no huddle by the browns made the game close. The browns base is the most jekyl and hide group in all of professional football

... and it did not even involve Johnny Sparkplug... ;)

Speaking of which... I did not see him holding a clipboard all game. Does he still get a game check?

I saw him a few times.

In fact, when they came back from half time I saw him with his Helmet on warming up - thought he was going to play the 2nd half as bad as the 1st went.

Had to step out for a minute and came back to see us running in for a TD.

Well I could not disagree more with you either. What you are describing is playing not to lose. The Browns have implemented that strategy about 40 times the past 6-7 seasons and lose almost every time. As Herm Edwards said "You play to win the game!". Punting there was playing not lose, period. If they miss that field I applaud that they had the balls to go for it, everytime.

I'm pretty sure Herm would have punted...

So you're saying we disagree? I think if one says "could not disagree more" then it applies to the other automatically... but I digress...

Other games, maybe I agree with you, but in this case... no. The D did their job... twice in fact in the same series due to the uncovered gunner. But the damage to field position from that botched ST play plus Sheard's "de-helmeting" penalty on the Steeler punt triggered something in the ensuing play-calling that got us away from what had been working.

I'm pretty sure Herm would have punted...

So you're saying we disagree? I think if one says "could not disagree more" then it applies to the other automatically... but I digress...

Other games, maybe I agree with you, but in this case... no. The D did their job... twice in fact in the same series due to the uncovered gunner. But the damage to field position from that botched ST play plus Sheard's "de-helmeting" penalty on the Steeler punt triggered something in the ensuing play-calling that got us away from what had been working.

And the 7 yard sack on first down that put them in 2nd and long and throws off the play calling considerably.

Rust? Terrance west and Cromwell were both fresh and running the ball well out of a no huddle. It was a nice second half for the browns but teams make adjustmemts from week to week. If ike Taylor could just catch the momentum would have shifted much earlier in the second half. Penalties and an effective no huddle by the browns made the game close. The browns base is the most jekyl and hide group in all of professional football

They were running the ball down your throats early in the 3rd against a defense that wasn't on the field much in the 1st half.

I'll yield you the 4th qtr, maybe. But that 3rd your Dline just got walked on.

That's always the story with the browns though. It made sense at the time if only A, B, and C would have happened differently! That's the same sad story the Browns say every time they make decisions to play not to lose. Football is a game where you take what you have in front of you, IMO. I trust my kicker to make a long FG and put the Browns over the hump with momentum. I try and take the lead instead of hoping for the best. The "right" and "safe" calls burn the Browns year after year, game after game and I'm tired of it. I'll admit, at least they played damn well in the 2nd half and I feel like this team can win. But a FG attempt there quite possibly puts us away from the "moral victory" to the actual W. Nothing you could say would change my mind there, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Nothing you could say would change my mind there, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Not even if I should offer you say.... $1,000,000*???

* terms and conditions apply... not an actual offer... valid only if pigs fly up a camel's ass as it passes through the eye of a needle on or before 7 September, 2014...

Not even if I should offer you say.... $1,000,000*???

* terms and conditions apply... not an actual offer... valid only if pigs fly up a camel's ass as it passes through the eye of a needle on or before 7 September, 2014...

Well, I'd tell you what I'd do with that money:

They were running the ball down your throats early in the 3rd against a defense that wasn't on the field much in the 1st half.

I'll yield you the 4th qtr, maybe. But that 3rd your Dline just got walked on.

Can Thomas isn't a starting defensive end but keisel just came back and tuitt is still learning. It was part of the problem in the second half. It was very much the tale of two halves but I think its comical that everyone on this board just assumes the second half or the first half for either team is any kind of indicator for the rest of the season. Guess what the browns also still fvcking lost and the steelers had some really painful penalties.

Can Thomas isn't a starting defensive end but keisel just came back and tuitt is still learning. It was part of the problem in the second half. It was very much the tale of two halves but I think its comical that everyone on this board just assumes the second half or the first half for either team is any kind of indicator for the rest of the season. Guess what the browns also still fvcking lost and the steelers had some really painful penalties.

Should have had more but holding was optional in the 1st half.

If you don't have confidence to kick a 54-yarder... you need a new kicker, period.

I disagree 23. The way our defense was playing the entire 2nd half (minus one 4th down trick play) the smart play was to pin them deep. My real issue was with the last 2 offensive series' play calls. The second to last series when we were approaching their 30, shanny suddenly called 3 passes in a row, even though we were punching that tired ass, pathetic defense right in the mouth with our running game. End result, punt.

Then on the last series, we handed them the chance to beat us on that 2nd down inc pass. That should've been a run forcing them to either burn 1 of their 2 TOs, or let time tick off for overtime.

Bad game day management by Pettine and shanny.

Well, I'd tell you what I'd do with that money:

lol... good answer...

Guess what the browns also still fvcking lost and the steelers had some really painful penalties.

As painful as a kick in the face?

Tell us you weren't shitting bricks for 28 minutes of the second half...

If you don't have confidence to kick a 54-yarder... you need a new kicker, period.

How far was Billy hitting them from in pre-game? How about end of half time?

My real issue was with the last 2 offensive series' play calls. The second to last series when we were approaching their 30, shanny suddenly called 3 passes in a row...

Shanny had issues with staying with a working run game in WSH...

I disagree 23. The way our defense was playing the entire 2nd half (minus one 4th down trick play) the smart play was to pin them deep.

I agree with this. Especially given that no one seems to make long FG's in Pittspuke. The career long at ketchup field by the steelers own kicker is like 48 yards I heard during the game. Pin them at the one like we did except for the special teams fucking it up.

At the end of the day for me I'd rather see the Browns lose by playing aggressive than lose by making the "safe" decisions. I know there's pros and cons to the debate but the one thing the browns have shown consistently is their ability to lose the game in the 4th quarter by not being aggressive. Today was no different.

I missed most of the game due to work obligations, so l appreciate the thread.

I did catch the 1st 3 possessions and parts of the 4th qtr on the radio.

I not only say why didn't we go for the FG try, but why didn't we run the frickin' ball in the 2 plays before that?!? Hello field position?

I heard the Browns' last TD drive, and it seemed like West and Crowell were reeling off 1st down runs at will!

Edit: damn D Bone. As l was slowly typing you stole my thunder. Thunder thief!!!

At the end of the day for me I'd rather see the Browns lose by playing aggressive than lose by making the "safe" decisions.

Again... there's the question of how far was Billy hitting them in pre-game. The attempt would have been to the "easy end" of Heinz Field, but the Steelers' much shorter game winner flew as squirrely as hell to the opposite end.

I predicted this game as a, "pick-em" coz it did not apprear that either of these teams had their act together yet.

I give the Browns a "win" to lose by 3 with 1 second left.

We have become accustomed to da Browns fielding a top defense year after year, in spite of having a new coach every year, but I dunno?

They gave up alotta points.

I know PIT's "D" is a work-in-progress, so I'm not surprised to see the Browns score well against them,

Again... there's the question of how far was Billy hitting them in pre-game. The attempt would have been to the "easy end" of Heinz Field, but the Steelers' much shorter game winner flew as squirrely as hell to the opposite end.

For what it's worth...this is Carucci's take on the FG vs. Punt at the end:

>I don’t have a problem with Pettine opting to punt rather than having Billy Cundiff attempt what would have been about a 52-yard field goal with 4:37 left in the game and the score tied, 27-27. The distance was just a bit out of the range of Cundiff, who is outstanding at long kickoffs but doesn’t have great accuracy on long-range field-goal tries. And a miss there would have given the Steelers the ball near midfield. The Browns thought they would be able to pin the Steelers deep in their own territory, but the attempt to down Spencer Lanning’s punt inside the 1-yard line failed and the kick resulted in a touchback.

I agree with this. Especially given that no one seems to make long FG's in Pittspuke. The career long at ketchup field by the steelers own kicker is like 48 yards I heard during the game. Pin them at the one like we did except for the special teams fucking it up.

Ya, but Suisham might be the worst kicker in the league, my cousin is a die hard redskins fan and if you even mention that guys name he goes nuts...

Ya, but Suisham might be the worst kicker in the league, my cousin is a die hard redskins fan and if you even mention that guys name he goes nuts...

The longest made FG in history at condiment field is 52 yards so you're expecting Cundiff who isn't known for his long range ability anyways, to make one equal to the longest in the history of that stadium? I think the coach made the right choice. If the special teams guys don't fuck it up, the Steelers start inside the one and I'm willing to bet it's a different finish.

My impressions...i know you care.

Most of it has already been said, but i like how hoyer looked. Amazed by crowell, loved the adjustments by coaching staff. I see alot of good things, but then im an optimist.

You dont kick that field goal...

Unless its the last play of the game.

Cant wait for next week!!!!!!

I'm just saying. If you don't have a kicker who can make a 54-yarder to go ahead in the 4th quarter, you need to find a new kicker. Considering Cundiff sucks, it was a good call, but if we had a guy like Dawson (in his day) or the Denver kicker (before his suspension) we'd have had the lead, and they'd have had the same field position, and we'd be up 3 points...

It wasn't the only factor, but scoring points when you can is what great teams do. Even if that means converting go-ahead field goals, not just TDs...

Archived