THE BROWNS BOARD

Re-watched the Browns Steelers game...

WalterWhite

I might hate the Steelers, but I love defense and the game itself. That first call was pure bullshit. The second was still too damn close to call.

You're referring to Polamalu's hit? And then (I forget who) but the 2nd one right after? I thought the 2nd one was a quite a bit iffy. The first one was helmet to helmet hit on Owen Daniels. Not that bad of a hit since he held onto the ball and got up right away, but in today's NFL that's a no-no.

You're referring to Polamalu's hit? And then (I forget who) but the 2nd one right after? I thought the 2nd one was a quite a bit iffy. The first one was helmet to helmet hit on Owen Daniels. Not that bad of a hit since he held onto the ball and got up right away, but in today's NFL that's a no-no.

OK, on the hits, there were 4 in that game:

A. The penalty call on the BR sack in the first minute of the game was complete BS. That was a textbook hit. It was a very hard hit....and I guess it is a penalty now just to hit a QB too hard....even though it was otherwise completely legal.

B. The Ravens hit Brown and knocked him out for a while. There, a penalty probably should have been called but wasn't. That was a forearm to the head.

C. Polamalu's hit was a legit penalty. He hit him with the crown of his helmet into the other players head.

D. The followup call on the Steeler DB (can't recall the name), to me was BS. He hit his shoulder into the receivers shoulder. It was just a hard hit. It was not a hit to the head or neck. Again, sorry, when is just a clean hard hit illegal?

K. Let's just wait until this season is over and we'll see where he rates.

Wait till the season is over???....to see what?....if he gets taller?.....or if he suddenly becomes a deep threat??.....

right now, he's a tier 2 receiver(which is damn good, but not tier 1).....and he'll never be tier 1 because he's not big enough or strong enough to do the things Gordon, Johnson, Bryant and Green can do....

One look at his average per catch kinda shows the huge diff between him and REAL deep threats.....

A. The penalty call on the BR sack in the first minute of the game was complete BS. That was a textbook hit. It was a very hard hit....and I guess it is a penalty now just to hit a QB too hard....even though it was otherwise completely legal.

B. The Ravens hit Brown and knocked him out for a while. There, a penalty probably should have been called but wasn't. That was a forearm to the head.

C. Polamalu's hit was a legit penalty. He hit him with the crown of his helmet into the other players head.

D. The followup call on the Steeler DB (can't recall the name), to me was BS. He hit his shoulder into the receivers shoulder. It was just a hard hit. It was not a hit to the head or neck. Again, sorry, when is just a clean hard hit illegal?

Ok. I missed the first two as I didn't see much of the 1st qtr. I agree with you on the second two hits I did see.

Bet the squealers would trade for Schwartz in a heart beat......

lol...

I dropped (Owen Daniels) in my one league. I picked him up in the very last round of the draft too. With all the talk of Pitta, I figured he wasn't worth holding on to. Might just be one good lucky week for him?

As any of the Texas influx that are still around will testify, Owen is a solid, veteran TE who was a borderline star early in his 8 years with Houston. Then injuries started...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaniOw00.htm

As much as the Ravens have employeed the two TE offense in the past, Owen is worth consideration.

A. While I hate the call on Upshaw's near-perfect, form tackle, it has precedent and was correct per the rules.

A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture for example, (a) forcibly hitting the passer’s head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him, or (b.)lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the passer’s body.

Not that the Ref could have seen it from his angle, but Upshaw lowered his head just enough to lead with the "forehead/'hairline' parts of the helmet".

B. The Raven DB drove his shoulder into Brown's shoulder... the forearm follow through was even lower. Browns' head was never contacted. Clean hit.

C. Last night I would have sworn I saw the side of Palu's helmet glance off Owen Daniels' helmet, but can't see that in the replay on NFL.com. So last nite I was convinced it was a penalty... today not so much.

D. Mitchell's (the player's name) hit on Smith Sr. at the goal-line was shoulder to shoulder. I think the call was wrongly made due to a bad angle, and the facts that Mitchell's was the 2nd hit and the ball was out just before the 2nd hit was delivered.

lol...

As any of the Texas influx that are still around will testify, Owen is a solid, veteran TE who was a borderline star early in his 8 years with Houston. Then injuries started...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaniOw00.htm

As much as the Ravens have employeed the two TE offense in the past, Owen is worth consideration.

A. While I hate the call on Upshaw's near-perfect, form tackle, it has precedent and was correct per the rules.

A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture for example, (a) forcibly hitting the passer’s head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him, or (b.)lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the passer’s body.

Not that the Ref could have seen it from his angle, but Upshaw lowered his head just enough to lead with the "forehead/'hairline' parts of the helmet".

B. The Raven DB drove his shoulder into Brown's shoulder... the forearm follow through was even lower. Browns' head was never contacted. Clean hit.

C. Last night I would have sworn I saw the side of Palu's helmet glance off Owen Daniels' helmet, but can't see that in the replay on NFL.com. So last nite I was convinced it was a penalty... today not so much.

D. Mitchell's (the player's name) hit on Smith Sr. at the goal-line was shoulder to shoulder. I think the call was wrongly made due to a bad angle, and the facts that Mitchell's was the 2nd hit and the ball was out just before the 2nd hit was delivered.

So, essentially, any doubt is resolved in favor of the QB or WR and against the defender. Anything borderline gets called. (but then why was the hit on Brown not called.....that is the only one that actually constituted a blow to the head...for which the player was sidelined for a period.

Except for the fact that Brown was not hit in the head... yes... it's still "when in doubt, throw the flag."

We're going to have to end up reviewing these penalties. Too much pressure on the Refs to protect the skill players and the plays happen too fast. Hell, even in slo-mo we can't agree what we are seeing.

Ultimately, like every other replay situation, these hits will have to be reviewed as they have too much game-altering potential to get them wrong.

Except for the fact that Brown was not hit in the head... yes... it's still "when in doubt, throw the flag."

We're going to have to end up reviewing these penalties. Too much pressure on the Refs to protect the skill players and the plays happen too fast. Hell, even in slo-mo we can't agree what we are seeing.

Ultimately, like every other replay situation, these hits will have to be reviewed as they have too much game-altering potential to get them wrong.

I wonder if all of this "protecting the skill players" at all cost is actually inducing more injuries.. When I say that I mean.. Is it causing the players to play differently.. because as soon as Goodell got on this trip... It only seems to me that injuries have gone up.. not down...

How did Brown get a potential concussion if he was not hit in the head. His head did not hit the ground when he fell.

How did Brown get a potential concussion if he was not hit in the head. His head did not hit the ground when he fell.

One... he returned so he wasn't concussed if you believe in the "protocol" (not that I do)...

Gip, as I understand it any rapid enough change of direction of the head can result in the brain impacting the skull producing a concussion. While far and away direct blows to the head by a moving object orthe head hitting an immovable object, e.g., the turf, are the most common causes, they are not the only ones.

"What is a concussion?

A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury that is caused by a blow to the head or body, a fall, or another injury that jars or shakes the brain inside the skull.

What causes a concussion?

Your brain is a soft organ that is surrounded by spinal fluid and protected by your hard skull. Normally, the fluid around your brain acts like a cushion that keeps your brain from banging into your skull. But if your head or your body is hit hard, your brain can crash into your skull and be injured."

http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/traumatic-brain-injury-concussion-overview

Archived