THE BROWNS BOARD

Saints Week

TopDawg31

Based on what Atlanta did and the way our offense started to show some life, I'm thinking we should be able to put up 500 yards of offense. We just have to figure out how to keep Brees from doing the same.

Brees may very well put up 500 passing against us. We need to get to him, and swiftly. If not, we are screwed.

Based on what Atlanta did and the way our offense started to show some life, I'm thinking we should be able to put up 500 yards of offense. We just have to figure out how to keep Brees from doing the same.

The Saints have a much better passing game than the Steelers. It's gonna be extremely difficult stopping them

Like was said above. We need to run it effectively, and get pressure on Brees. He's not the tallest of QBs so collapsing the pocket, even without sacks, is key to getting him off rhythm. I think with D.Bryant back (hopefully) it should help. Problem is we may be without Mingo (shoulder injury) which means Sheard and Kruger will need to step it up.

Yep. Gotta run a lot. Eat the clock and beat down their D.........and we should be able to chew up large chunks of time and yardage against their d......

Defensively.....Take away Graham. Ghost him with Dansby on the inside, while covering him with a CB(NOT A LB!) He eats LB's for lunch....NE did this last year and he went without a catch. Totally shut him down.

Then , while Brees is looking for pass option #2 or #3....WHACK HIM!!!

Pettine laid down a challenge to the fans to be loud, give us something to be proud of or the loud will be negative.

The two keys on defense will be guarding Graham and not letting him get a mismatch, especially on a "Go route" against a LB, and the other will be stopping their RBs when they turn into receivers out of the backfield. The Saints know these 2 things KILL an aggressive defense. Also, look out for the crossing routes which are "man-coverage killers." Big Ben and the Steelers knew it would be hard for our CBs to guard these in man-coverage, which they also knew Pettine would utilize, and took advantage in the 1st half.

I expect to see Poyer and Bademosi on the field as extra DBs, particularly guarding Graham. They have the size and experience that could help us quiet him. Haden should do well against Colston, and I expect Skrine to be guarding Cooks quite a bit. We really have to get pressure from 4-man fronts so we can play good coverage, otherwise this is going to be brutal.

Its a rob Ryan defense. Gives up chunks of yardage when he starts selling out to stop the run game. Play action is gonna burn him time and time again.

Its all about limiting points. Bree's isn't infallible, get to him and this is a win.

I also heard the Saints are 1-7 in their last 8 outside games "on grass"....weird stat, I know, but sometimes these things have a reason.....

That can't be correct. Last season, we beat the Bucs in Tampa and the Bears in Chicago and both of those fields are grass. We also beat the Eagles in Philly last year in the playoffs and they have a grass field too.

Counting the playoffs, the Saints were 3-1 playing outside "on grass" last season.

That can't be correct. Last season, we beat the Bucs in Tampa and the Bears in Chicago and both of those fields are grass. We also beat the Eagles in Philly last year in the playoffs and they have a grass field too.

Counting the playoffs, the Saints were 3-1 playing outside "on grass" last season.

Your right, I worded it wrong....."7 out of the last 8 of the games that the Saints lost were outside'....

Atlanta...dome....then...

Panthers twice

Rams

Seattle

Jets

Patriots

Giants....

Agree... Brees was not on top of his game in their opener... especially down the field. Much as Hoyer was a tad off, down the field. Hopefully Brian improves and Drew not so much...

Pettine laid down a challenge to the fans to be loud, give us something to be proud of or the loud will be negative.

Did he offer to buy the first round?

The two keys on defense will be guarding Graham and not letting him get a mismatch, especially on a "Go route" against a LB, and the other will be stopping their RBs when they turn into receivers out of the backfield. The Saints know these 2 things KILL an aggressive defense. Also, look out for the crossing routes which are "man-coverage killers." Big Ben and the Steelers knew it would be hard for our CBs to guard these in man-coverage, which they also knew Pettine would utilize, and took advantage in the 1st half.

I expect to see Poyer and Bademosi on the field as extra DBs, particularly guarding Graham. They have the size and experience that could help us quiet him. Haden should do well against Colston, and I expect Skrine to be guarding Cooks quite a bit. We really have to get pressure from 4-man fronts so we can play good coverage, otherwise this is going to be brutal.

Yup... controlled aggression... Steelers screened us early (and often) and hurt us bad. Screened us late and got in position for the winning FG.

Match up-wise... Obviously Graham is key. Agree our back up Safeties are next up, but was expecting one of our tall, new DBs to take on that challenge. I like the Haden/ Colston match up.... Quicks and speed tend to give Haden fits, not size. What about Haden on Graham? Too physical for Haden?

Last season, we beat the Bucs in Tampa...

Who dat dat gots a mouse in dere pocket? Welcome to de Browns Board...

As a Saints fan the expectation is that we actually play Rob Ryan defense this week. Last week we sat back in a zone defense and only brought four rushers. Only on 12 occasions (12% of Atlanta's snaps) did we bring a fifth rusher or more. Unheard of for a Rob Ryan defense to be that laid back. Also played Byrd 20+ yards off the line for the majority of the game.

Hopefully this week we get back to doing what we are good at. Saints played conservative last week because they were scared of getting beat over the top. I don't think that happens this week. I think we give Hoyer a lot of different looks, bump at the line on man coverage, and bring more pressure. That's what I hope anyway.

I was really hoping the Saints pulled out that victory last Sunday. A disgruntled Brees and crew coming off a close, rivalry loss doesn't bode well. Although the Browns are in the same situation I suppose. The way I see it, the only way to get to these elite QB's is put them on the ground even if it's not a sack. I really was encouraged about the pass rush the Browns got Sunday, especially in the 2nd half. Send the blitz early and often, because dropping eight has Brees smiling from ear to ear.

From an offense side of things, I said in a prior thread that I really hope the Browns form an identity on pounding the rock 30+ times a game. Not only does that allow clock management, it plays perfectly into Hoyer's strengths (see 2nd half of Pitt game). There's no need to get fancy or cute out of the gate. Line the big boys up, make a statement that we think our guys can maul your guys, and see what happens. This type of strategy has also been shown to really work for some elite teams in the NFL. IF Tate comes back somewhat like himself, we could establish our own Earth, Wind and Fire backfield (someone make a better name!).

Another week where I'd be betting against the spread. This game is definitely winnable.

Looking at the Saints backfield, I'm surprised they no longer have a scat back with Sproles gone, I figured they would have replaced him with a water bug back. That element out of the backfield takes away another option for them on offense.

Like most have said, the best defense against Brees is keeping him on the sideline.

Let West and Crowell chew the clock up. Score TD's instead of field goals. Put more points up than the other team and you usually win the game! Haha

Looking at the Saints backfield, I'm surprised they no longer have a scat back with Sproles gone, I figured they would have replaced him with a water bug back. That element out of the backfield takes away another option for them on offense.

Like most have said, the best defense against Brees is keeping him on the sideline.

Let West and Crowell chew the clock up. Score TD's instead of field goals. Put more points up than the other team and you usually win the game! Haha

Pierre Thomas is the out of the backfield back now, he's not as flashy as Sproles but he is effective. 6 catches last week, 77 last season.

As a Saints fan the expectation is that we actually play Rob Ryan defense this week. Last week we sat back in a zone defense and only brought four rushers. Only on 12 occasions (12% of Atlanta's snaps) did we bring a fifth rusher or more. Unheard of for a Rob Ryan defense to be that laid back. Also played Byrd 20+ yards off the line for the majority of the game.

Hopefully this week we get back to doing what we are good at. Saints played conservative last week because they were scared of getting beat over the top. I don't think that happens this week. I think we give Hoyer a lot of different looks, bump at the line on man coverage, and bring more pressure. That's what I hope anyway.

So you are saying you are not as scared of our WRs as you were the trio of Jones/White/Hester???

I watched the NFL Rewind of your opener and if I had not seen Rob on the sideline, I never would have guessed he was still your DC. So many times that 4-2-5 personnel were on the field. Nothing exotic...

Pierre Thomas is the out of the backfield back now, he's not as flashy as Sproles but he is effective. 6 catches last week, 77 last season.

More like Thomas is out of the backfield again...

He's been your feature back off and on for years. While I've always liked him, he never seemed to me to be built to handle that role and his injury history seems to support that opinion. He's been your constant, your "fallback" guy, throughout a long search for an impact, feature back to replace McAllister. And now that Ingram has developed into a decent back, Pierre is once again back in the role that suits him best. Agree?

Archived