THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Haden got smoked again

WalterWhite

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So wow even Mike Pettine acknowledges he's getting burnt and the stats and numbers support my claim but somehow I'm still wrong. I hate to say it but I told you so.

I love Joe but he has to fix this shit quick.

And now you love Joe?

With you its not about being right or wrong, it's about your knee-jerk, reactionary tirades that lack depth, conviction and longevity.

Case in point... according to you all we need to do to fix Haden is cut his pay. Did Pettine say that as well?

I guess it depends on the player. I imagine some players will get butthurt over getting called out publicly for poor play. Others will likely use it as motivation to not suck.

I like accountability so long as Pettine realizes it goes both ways.

All true...

I'm not too concerned about Pettine holding himself accountable. Not sensing a reality gap there...

I am somewhat concerned that he talks about players fairly freely to the press, but apparently reserves details of his staff criticism for meetings. Other than the following any knowledge of his reported staff reaming seems to have come from source leaks.

"'I thought for the bulk of it the players played well enough to have a victory. I put this one on me. We didn’t coach well enough to win today. I’m not going to get into too much of the specifics until I get a chance to go through it. The list is long,' Pettine said, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/22/pettine-blames-himself-for-browns-loss/

"League's worst QBR 'when targeted'"??

I'm actually curious to see how many times he's been targeted compared to the NFL average. I haven't been able to find that stat, but that is the one that shows how good a "man coverage" corner actually is. If you're only targeted 5 times a game, but give up 4 catches that isn't that bad. TDs are the killer, and he's given up 2 to Graham which I'm sure hurts the stat-line...

Worst in the NFL?? LOL

I'm actually curous about the same state for Gilbert. He hasn't been thrown at that much, but when he's been challenged deep he's been beaten...

Comparing CBs is difficult because you can't watch them every play on TV...

No goofy, its about a top 5 elite CB who got...

If you're going to resort to name calling, at least get original...

"League's worst QBR 'when targeted'"??

I'm actually curious to see how many times he's been targeted compared to the NFL average. I haven't been able to find that stat, but that is the one that shows how good a "man coverage" corner actually is. If you're only targeted 5 times a game, but give up 4 catches that isn't that bad. TDs are the killer, and he's given up 2 to Graham which I'm sure hurts the stat-line...

Worst in the NFL?? LOL

I'm actually curous about the same state for Gilbert. He hasn't been thrown at that much, but when he's been challenged deep he's been beaten...

Comparing CBs is difficult because you can't watch them every play on TV...

Only one I that currently does what I think you're asking is ProFootballFocus, but it is a pay site (see below).

I think another site does similar stuff, but doesn't start until there's more data... week six or so. It may even be NFL.com as they wait for data accumulation for some stats.

Sportingcharts.com does little data manipulation, but provides raw player data that can feed analyses, e.g., player snap counts. Haden has only missed 2 of 209 so far; Gilbert has only played 120. Same for stats.washingtonpost.com.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/pff-signature-stats/#Coverage

"Coverage (3-4OLB, 4-3OLB, ILB/MLB, CB, S)

Reputation can scare opponents from challenging certain defenders, or it can put a target on the back of a cover man. That reputation can be well deserved or the product of unfounded hype. In order to cut through the noise, you need to see the numbers. This set of Signature Stats tallies all things coverage related, from snaps spent in coverage to Yards After the Catch on completions aimed at each defender.

The numbers for all linebackers and defensive backs when deemed the primary cover man are here and they add up to some never-before-seen measures (Yards Per Cover Snap, Cover Snaps Per Target, and Cover Snaps Per Reception) that will help you sort out who’s getting the job done. To top it all off, as we did with the WR Rating, we’ve back-calculated the Passer Rating opponents produce when throwing at each defender."

We're a couple of play away from being 3-0. Browns convert on that 3rd and seven, and we're not having this discussion. Yes, Haden has been uncharacteristically bad so far. Putting him solo on Graham in the Saints game was a mismatch- and I dare anyone to tell me otherwise. OK, he's given up some big plays- so does ever other CB.

We're s couple plays away from being 0-3, too. Lets stop talking about what could've happened and focus on what DID HAPPEN.

After 3 weeks, the Browns have the NFL's 31st ranked defense................... Wow.

Even with that sieve of a unit, we are 2 plays away from being 3-0. Before the season, most of us were stressing the QB and WR positions and didn't even think twice about the D....... Go figure.

Joe has always been overrated by the fans. Until last year, he never covered the other team's #1 WR. He just played a side. Horton asked him to step up. He did..........somewhat, but he seemed to give up a lot of late plays that were huge in us losing games.

I think Joe does better against bigger receivers. He is very physical. He gets them off their rhythm. Smaller, quicker receivers give him more problems.

The new emphasis on not being handsy is hurting Joe. He is not a quick-footed guy. He relies on his hands. This rule enforcement takes away some of his effectiveness, and fortunately, he is getting away w/more than most because of his rep.

I think the guy is okay, but he isn't even close to deserving the top CB money in the NFL. That is a freaking joke.

After 3 weeks, the Browns have the NFL's 31st ranked defense................... Wow.

Even with that sieve of a unit, we are 2 plays away from being 3-0. Before the season, most of us were stressing the QB and WR positions and didn't even think twice about the D....... Go figure.

That is very true. Good point.

We're s couple plays away from being 0-3, too. Lets stop talking about what could've happened and focus on what DID HAPPEN.

OK, what DID HAPPEN is West moved on a 30 yard completion to Manziel, Cundiff doinked a 50 yard FG, and had another one blocked. Then a third down incompletion with 2 minutes left had it been complete would have won the game. Yup, all Joe's fault.

In YPG, yes, but to me it's more about how we're near the bottom in YPG. Being 28th against the run and 26th against the pass is a double barreled fail.

Some of the early ranking is luck of the draw as to who you play. We've drawn three pretty good pass offenses, and the Steelers and Saints had respectable running games to boot. But the Ravens? Minus Rice and Pierce? That gets my "............Wow".

Well at least we are only 24th in PPG... nothing to brag about, but better than 31st.

Archived