THE BROWNS BOARD

Did Gilbert and Mingo Play?

Opal312

I have to wait to watch the game on Rewind on NFLChannel but saw highlights. Did Justin Gilbert and Mingo play?. I now live in Tampa and had to watch the Bucs get creamed by the Ravens. But I would sure love to know who played on defense if anyone cares to reply.

Also a shout out to Alex Mack. Get well soon!

Both played. Mingo had great special teams play. Solid coverage on his assignments and several QB pressures that were almost sacks.

Gilbert did as well. Still a very raw rookie. Would have been responsible for a TD on a busted coverage had Ben not over thrown his target.

Thanks. I hate waiting to watch the games. All we get down here are Bucs, Dolphins and Jags. Ugh! But I sure hope that Mingo develops and hopefully Gilbert. I've been critical in the past about their first rounders and living among Buc fans its a little hard to keep track of individual players. Especially on defense. go Browns

i think the coaching staff are still trying to figure out how to utilize mingo in their scheme. i really don't get it considering both o'neill and pettine wanted to draft mingo, but maybe the talent on this team compared to buffalo's then is different and he's just not there. i personally think that's a mistake but then again who the F am i?

gilbert is still a rookie and is learning. both he and haden played toaday and made a couple of mistakes but show me one game today where a top CB or rookie CB didn't make a mistake?

ah-hem...cough seahawks.

I remember two plays for Mingo:

- his hit on the opening Kick off; and

- Ben easily side-stepping another out of control rush.

His agility just does not look to be there.

I didn't really see Mingo do shit yesterday. With Kruger at 80% I expected Sheard and Mingo to step up...they really didn't. Run D was still awful and yesterday shit was bouncing to the outside which means the OLB'ers are pinching in to try to help the interior. Dansby and Kirksey are still nowhere to be seen on most run plays. At the very least I thought we'd give up some run plays but get after Ben. The OLB'ers were nowhere to be seen around Ben most of the game. I think Mugshot got some pressure as well as one of the backup DL..that's it. Ben had all day yesterday and still came up Shiite which is why that win yesterday is on the secondary.

I didn't really see Mingo do shit yesterday. With Kruger at 80% I expected Sheard and Mingo to step up...they really didn't. Run D was still awful and yesterday shit was bouncing to the outside which means the OLB'ers are pinching in to try to help the interior. Dansby and Kirksey are still nowhere to be seen on most run plays. At the very least I thought we'd give up some run plays but get after Ben. The OLB'ers were nowhere to be seen around Ben most of the game. I think Mugshot got some pressure as well as one of the backup DL..that's it. Ben had all day yesterday and still came up Shiite which is why that win yesterday is on the secondary.

Thats because they weren't blitzing and were in cover instead. It's not like the LB's can just do whatever they want out there, like rush the passer every play. The D adjusted, fell back and covered, and that is the reason Ben still came up shiite. And Dansby was everywhere yesterday. Had a sack and double digit tackles. Maybe they were "bouncing to the outside", because the middle wasn't there. Doh.

Dansby and Whitner both showed up in the middle yesterday.

Whitner met Bell in the hole to help stop the Steelers' 2nd possession deep in our territory.

Donte was a force against the run yesterday. That alone will allow the team to continue to limit big runs while coming out in the nickel. Likewise for Dansby. The pass rush is obviously a concern but you can't quantify an effective

pass rush in the number of sacks. Mingo had some good pressures yesterday in the time he was lined up and beat Gilbert (Steelers Gilbert) Several times.

I think the coaching staff will notice moving forward that he should get an increased amount of pass rushing opportunities from a LE spot.

Donte was a force against the run yesterday. That alone will allow the team to continue to limit big runs while coming out in the nickel. Likewise for Dansby. The pass rush is obviously a concern but you can't quantify an effective

pass rush in the number of sacks. Mingo had some good pressures yesterday in the time he was lined up and beat Gilbert (Steelers Gilbert) Several times.

I think the coaching staff will notice moving forward that he should get an increased amount of pass rushing opportunities from a LE spot.

I agree that Whitner and Dansby both had big games yesterday....just the 2 of them combined for almost 20 tackles....Considering we only rushed 3-4 guys all day, I think we did swell....

Mingo had three QB hurries in 12 rushes. Sheard one hit one hurry on 32 rushes. Kruger one hit on 33 rushes

They should rush him more, I think they're torn with what to do with him and its stopping getting the best out of him. He's stuck in two places.

Don't forget about Gipson. He's quietly having himself quite a season...

I'll say this again, Gipson would be going to the pro bowl with better name recognition and a better pass rush in front of him.

Mingo had three QB hurries in 12 rushes. Sheard one hit one hurry on 32 rushes. Kruger one hit on 33 rushes

They should rush him more, I think they're torn with what to do with him and its stopping getting the best out of him. He's stuck in two places.

A product of Kruger going back to his jump step trying to setup the OT as opposed to attacking a shoulder and dictating leverage.

I think the coaching staff will love the film they put on of this game. Mingo's pressure came from the right side of the Oline with his hand in the ground. He'll have more than ample opportunities to get

after the QB against Jacksonville and Oakland. I hope he gets them in just that fashion. Pettine and O'Neil noticed their blitz happy scheme isn't conducive to the current personnel and rule changes.

Let us hope they start realizing that our best pass rush is with 4 hands in the ground.

I'd also like to credit Desmond Bryant for showing up and playing good yesterday. Held his own against the run and was solid at getting pressure of the middle. We need more of that.

Mingo needs to put on twenty pounds to fill out that big frame of his or he will continue to be outmuscled. Whens the next PED's piss test?

Mingo is only slightly lighter than Von Miller. He is however a fair bit taller. Keep in mind he is still very young, a male body doesn't reach full maturity until 25ish. As long as he keeps that speed, learns to keep

his pad level lower and not run so 'leggy' ( a problem Gilbert has) he'll get better.

You guys realize that one of your main critiques of DQ was he was making tackles downfield.....what game were you guys watching then when you praise our ILB'ers for having double digit tackles? Of course they had double digit tackles cause they were making all the tackles after 5-8 yds. I was at the game 6 rows up from the 50 so I had a good look at our defense. ILB'ers are supposed to fill the gaps and meet the runner at or pretty much as close as possible to the line of scrimmage. Neither of our ILB'ers was doing that. They were all crashing down after the play was already past them. I'm starting to wonder if the defensive scheme is to allow 6 ypc's to the opposing RB.

. Maybe they were "bouncing to the outside", because the middle wasn't there. Doh.

The steelers RB's went wherever they pleased tbh. Most of the runs were inside, just like the whole season. Difference was there was more to the outside on sunday than in past games. Our edge guys were pinching inside too much and that is tell tale sign that the inside needed too much help and the DC said fuck it and left it to the DB's and SS to cover the outside. It's not good. If it weren't for Hoyer forcing the Steelers to get away from the run game, yesterdays game could have been a lot closer. If that 1st quarter had kept up the whole game our defense would have been toast by the 4th quarter. I was talking with a Dr today who said if you're needing a cortisone shot to play football the writing might be on the wall for Kruger...you can only do that so many weeks. So Kruger might get shut down for the season in a few weeks if we can't rest him.

You guys realize that one of your main critiques of DQ was he was making tackles downfield.....what game were you guys watching then when you praise our ILB'ers for having double digit tackles? Of course they had double digit tackles cause they were making all the tackles after 5-8 yds.

No offense to our front 7, but they aren't the greatest at keeping the linebackers clean.

Well yesterday they didn't try to get upfield, they were holding theirs. And it's not like the Steelers line is great....at anything. I really can't say exactly how much should be put on the ILB'ers for what's happening but it's got to be the significant majority. Is it scheme still? Hell if I know. I just know they are not meeting the runners where they should. Dansby has his moments where he gets pressure, but I just don't see him utterly blowing up runs. Not once the whole season. He's made tackles yes, just not those meet me inside and let's see who swings more dick kind of stops that makes the RB's ask the QB for more outside sweeps in the huddle. Maybe Dansby just isn't that guy who knows.

No offense to our front 7, but they aren't the greatest at keeping the linebackers clean.

Then we're watching different players.........

Dansby leads the Browns in tackles & sacks

has 1 of only 4 (25%) of our interceptions

has 2 of only 6 (33%) of our sacks

and 7 tfl's (dq has 3, btw)

he also has 6 passes defensed(which is a lot for LB)

and has already had several huge plays at key times in just the first few games.....sacked Ben yesterday to end a drive, blew up the screen to end a drive, and how can we forget how he sacked Brees for a HUGE loss and WON the freaking game for cryin out loud!!!

If you ask me, he's making more big plays than ANY other defender.....and it started in the first game and has been consistent....who has done more???

The steelers RB's went wherever they pleased tbh.

You mean other than the endzone, right?

In our first meeting, and our first four games, we tried to stop our opponent's run game and failed. Sunday we tried to contain our opponent's run game and succeeded... and additionally by laying back we also contained their passing attack.

I think we forced them to play our offense settling for bits and pieces of yardage and they simply did not have the patience for it. Meanwhile we attacked them taking chunk after chunk and, as you pointed out, made them switch to what we wanted them to do... pass.

Seems kinda brilliant to me...

Like I said I fully believe that without air Hoyer they would have grounded us up by the 3rd quarter. Had Ben been able to hand off to Bell all day he would have started scouring us by the 3rd. Sunday was a game where the offense definitely helped out the defense. Pettine admitted that because of all the injuries the defensive playbook would have fit on a napkin..his words.

You mean other than the endzone, right?

In our first meeting, and our first four games, we tried to stop our opponent's run game and failed. Sunday we tried to contain our opponent's run game and succeeded... and additionally by laying back we also contained their passing attack.

I think we forced them to play our offense settling for bits and pieces of yardage and they simply did not have the patience for it. Meanwhile we attacked them taking chunk after chunk and, as you pointed out, made them switch to what we wanted them to do... pass.

Seems kinda brilliant to me...

and has already had several huge plays at key times in just the first few games.....sacked Ben yesterday to end a drive, blew up the screen to end a drive, and how can we forget how he sacked Brees for a HUGE loss and WON the freaking game for cryin out loud!!!

If you ask me, he's making more big plays than ANY other defender.....and it started in the first game and has been consistent....who has done more???

He has a few big plays this year I'll give you that but it doesn't even remotely make up for the complete facepalm the ILB'ers have put up in the run game. It shouldn't need to be repeated that we've been gashed by practice squad RB's. What game would we have lost this year if our run defense was even mediocre? We would have beat both Pgh and Blt. Dansby told us he was the man, did he not? He said he considers himself the best ILB'er in the NFL. So these tackles he's making 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, isn't that exactly the critique you guys had of DQ? Maybe there are things Dansby's doing in coverage that are better than DQ, would have to have that pointed out to me on tape but I'll concede the possibility. But him and Kirkseys pursuit of the ball carrier is AWFUL right now. The fact that Oneil is telling the OLB'ers to cave in is a direct admission that our inside guys aren't getting the job done. I refuse to believe it's ALL on the DL cause it's the same guys as last year and we didn't suck this bad. Both Dansby and Kirksey have had highlighted whiffs this year that you just don't see from guys who say "I'm the best". For our run defense problems to be all on the DL we would have to have the worst DL in football not just this year but historically bad. You know that's not the case. Somebody has to figure out what's going on. One of us needs to get the all 22 and see just wtf is up with our linebackers and the run game. Cause even with mediocre run defense we're looking down at the AFC north right now as the only undefeated team in the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...

Well yesterday they didn't try to get upfield, they were holding theirs. And it's not like the Steelers line is great....at anything. I really can't say exactly how much should be put on the ILB'ers for what's happening but it's got to be the significant majority. Is it scheme still? Hell if I know. I just know they are not meeting the runners where they should. Dansby has his moments where he gets pressure, but I just don't see him utterly blowing up runs. Not once the whole season. He's made tackles yes, just not those meet me inside and let's see who swings more dick kind of stops that makes the RB's ask the QB for more outside sweeps in the huddle. Maybe Dansby just isn't that guy who knows.

He has a few big plays this year I'll give you that but it doesn't even remotely make up for the complete facepalm the ILB'ers have put up in the run game. It shouldn't need to be repeated that we've been gashed by practice squad RB's. What game would we have lost this year if our run defense was even mediocre? We would have beat both Pgh and Blt. Dansby told us he was the man, did he not? He said he considers himself the best ILB'er in the NFL. So these tackles he's making 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, isn't that exactly the critique you guys had of DQ? Maybe there are things Dansby's doing in coverage that are better than DQ, would have to have that pointed out to me on tape but I'll concede the possibility. But him and Kirkseys pursuit of the ball carrier is AWFUL right now. The fact that Oneil is telling the OLB'ers to cave in is a direct admission that our inside guys aren't getting the job done. I refuse to believe it's ALL on the DL cause it's the same guys as last year and we didn't suck this bad. Both Dansby and Kirksey have had highlighted whiffs this year that you just don't see from guys who say "I'm the best". For our run defense problems to be all on the DL we would have to have the worst DL in football not just this year but historically bad. You know that's not the case. Somebody has to figure out what's going on. One of us needs to get the all 22 and see just wtf is up with our linebackers and the run game. Cause even with mediocre run defense we're looking down at the AFC north right now as the only undefeated team in the NFL.

Borrowed this from another thread. It looks like some some other people think Dansby is real good too. Im sure you'll attempt another spin to show he must be replaced, when he clearly is one of our best defenders(if not THE best).

screen-shot-2014-10-24-at-85817-ampng-76

Borrowed this from another thread. It looks like some some other people think Dansby is real good too. Im sure you'll attempt another spin to show he must be replaced, when he clearly is one of our best defenders(if not THE best).

screen-shot-2014-10-24-at-85817-ampng-76

Welcome ;)

Archived