THE BROWNS BOARD

Braylon Edwards

Guest AdaM

BRAYLON BACKTRACKS

Posted by Mike Florio on December 19, 2008, 10:24 p.m.

Only a few days after teeing off on Browns fans, receiver Braylon Edwards is trying to make peace.

Good luck with that.

“I don’t want to be traded,” Edwards said Thursday. ”I want to be here in Cleveland. I want to make plays. I want to have fun, and I just want to enjoy it.

“I don’t know, maybe I care too much.”

Or maybe he’s just an idiot.

That’s really the only explanation. Edwards, who is signed through 2009, did his best to alienate a group of fans as loyal as any in the world, and now he wants to pretend it didn’t occur?

“I can’t apologize for what happened before I got here,” Edwards said, while failing to apologize for anything that has happened since he has arrived, including a rash of dropped balls that would embarrass even a popcorn-palmed urologist.

“I wasn’t a part of ‘The Drive.’ I didn’t fumble at the 1,” he said. “That wasn’t me. I think fans are still disgruntled about that, and they have every right to be because they’re fans, but that’s not me. I’m Braylon Edwards, and I just want to be Braylon Edwards.”

Fine, but being Braylon Edwards as a member of the Browns has suddenly become more difficult, and Braylon Edwards has no one to blame but Braylon Edwards.

he may pull a valuable pick...

my only real problem with him is that he's severely deluded.

instead of recognizing the real issues and working on those, he deflects any blame. ultimately, this will keep him from ever maturing as a football player, or even an individual. thus, he's not likely to improve.

trade his azz

if we can get something decent for him then i thing we should do it. if we don't get much then i say we keep him for another year and see how it works out. i think that his contract is up at the end of the year. if it is, can we franchise him and then trade him? we should at least get something for him if/when he leaves

exaclty, give the guy a break, he did great the year before, 1 bad year doesn't deserve a trade. especially when its something so easy to correct.

Is it really so easy to correct? Its not like we can stick some superglue on his hands, here. If the man dosn't care about catching balls, he's not gonna make an effort to make sure he dosn't drop them.

Is it really so easy to correct? Its not like we can stick some superglue on his hands, here. If the man dosn't care about catching balls, he's not gonna make an effort to make sure he dosn't drop them.

I honestly don't believe it was a matter of caring.

This is the simplest analogy I can come up with:

If every time you put your hand on the stove you get burned...you are going to reflexively pull it back.

If every time BE went for a catch..DA missed him or led him into a big hit...he is going to gator arm it and look to avoid the hit.

Eventually, that psyche becomes ingrained and the result is 2008 for BE.

Give him a off-season with a QB that is more accurate and doesn't get him killed...and I bet the dropsies go away.

I would trade him.

I don't care what he says....he wants out....and his value is good right now.

He is in his contract year....if we don't trade him we have 2 choices...transition him for a low tender number and watch him get scooped up and not get any value for him, or franchise him and have nobody touch him, and then we are overpaying for his services.

The Giants have a later first rounder and need a big receiver since Plax is done in NY...ship him to the Giants for that 1st rounder.

I honestly don't believe it was a matter of caring.

This is the simplest analogy I can come up with:

If every time you put your hand on the stove you get burned...you are going to reflexively pull it back.

If every time BE went for a catch..DA missed him or led him into a big hit...he is going to gator arm it and look to avoid the hit.

Eventually, that psyche becomes ingrained and the result is 2008 for BE.

Give him a off-season with a QB that is more accurate and doesn't get him killed...and I bet the dropsies go away.

Look, no one really knows why he dropped so many passes, but there were more than a few that hit him in the chest and he has all his fingers on. And while most players would be pissed or angry at themselves, Braylon acted like nothing happened every time. You could see it in his body language that he just didn't seem to care.

Look, no one really knows why he dropped so many passes, but there were more than a few that hit him in the chest and he has all his fingers on. And while most players would be pissed or angry at themselves, Braylon acted like nothing happened every time. You could see it in his body language that he just didn't seem to care.

What kind of body language would you have liked to see...

He responded exactly like i would have... move on... dont let anyone see that it botherd you.....

But he would get your sympathy if he layed on the field and cryed and then publicly apolagized?

The man was targeted 138 times and had 55 catches. That is a 39.9 completion/target rate.

Even if he caught EVERY dropped pass he would only have 71 receptions and a 51.4% completion/target rate. So, even if BE was PERFECT...DA still barely broke a 50% completion rate when throwing to him.

Name me one other TOP RECEIVER that has to put up with that kind of ineptitude.

As a point of fact...Brandon Marshall was second in NUMBER of passes NOT CAUGHT (77 to BE's 83) and had 12 drops and he had 183 Targets...for a completion rate of (104/183) 56.8%...and without his drops 63.4%.

Get the hint?

The question for me is - would another team be willing to give up their first round pick for him? I believe so. So what about this scenario...

If Crabtree is available at 5, we could pick him and then offer BE to another team hurting for a receiver for their #1. We could then use that pick to get the LB that we need so desperately need but might not be worth a top 5 pick.

The question for me is - would another team be willing to give up their first round pick for him? I believe so. So what about this scenario...

If Crabtree is available at 5, we could pick him and then offer BE to another team hurting for a receiver for their #1. We could then use that pick to get the LB that we need so desperately need but might not be worth a top 5 pick.

That's the move, because this is his contract year and he will walk next year and you will get nothing for him. And please don't blame Da for him short arming balls, he dropped a whole lot of balls in college and the FO knew it when they drafted him.

It's about his "ME" first attitude and giant ego. Remember, it will never be his fault because there will always be an excuse.

I like the idea of trading Edwards. Even if we cant get Crabtree we could trade back and get Maclin(which I think will be the better WR) That will give us another pick or 2 to help with the numerous holes on this team. Like someone said earlier hes a FA after this season and we arent going to the SB next year so find some core people to build around thru the draft. thats just my opinion

That's the move, because this is his contract year and he will walk next year and you will get nothing for him. And please don't blame Da for him short arming balls, he dropped a whole lot of balls in college and the FO knew it when they drafted him.

It's about his "ME" first attitude and giant ego. Remember, it will never be his fault because there will always be an excuse.

My favorite excuse last year was after the game in which he had all the second half drops. He said due to DA's inability to get him the ball in the first half when he was open so often, it caused him to lose concetration in the second half.

Nothing like throwing a teammate under the bus Braylon!

After that I knew this guy has some serious issues.

I think he really, really needs to go for the same reasons Ytown mentioned. I do realize the Browns can't just dump him without someone to replace him. But they need to work their hardest at rid of him..

Isnt this his contract year? He'll show up to play this year, then trade him.

If you want to trade him after this year, we would have to slap the franchise tag on him in 2010 in order to trade him.

He just had a bad year...

Here we go again with this "one bad year" bullcrap. He's had only one good year, the rest are all bad.

Look, no one really knows why he dropped so many passes...

I'm sure there's more than one reason why, but the predominant reason is that he is hearing footsteps. I've been calling him Braylon "Chicken Shit" Edwards for years. It's not hard to see that his eyes are on incoming defenders moreso than on incoming passes. I don't know how to explain those wide open bombs he drops with nobody closing in on him except to say that he has stone hands.

I say trade him!

-Al

Guest Dacaddyman

Seeing that Mangini is a "character" guy and "musts" guy, it would not suprise me if he waited 'til the Browns were on the board to see if Crabtree was still there,drafted him,then turned right around and traded Edwards to someone willing to give up a mid-level to low 1st round pick.I have heard people say that Crabtree is a definite top 10 pick so in my books that is a (must have guy). Since Edwards is in a contract year that means we don't have to resign him,we would get another pick to address another position of need,and be ridding the locker room of a huge ego (Character). It would be a win,win,win situation for Mangenius.

Shut up....... BE isn't going any where!

It is just Assinign to want to get rid of him!

He just had a bad year... you are acting like the NFL isn't a business.... he will go off this year!

It isn't asinine to want to trade him....and really, I am acting like the NFL is a business.

Trade him now while we can or be stuck with him with a franchise tag...which is to much money for that guy.

But you are right....he will have a good year since he has something to play for.....himself being his contract year.

Edwards is a Me player.

Here is a recent interview

I dont like BE's attitude or his take on the fans what the sam hell does "the drive" have to do with him?

I dont harbor any bad feelings for BE other than he sucked last year and didnt seem to even care..i dont care that he came from michigan all i care about is how he plays on sunday and his dellusional and mental cop out of blaming the fans shows he doesnt accept responsibility for the way he plays my thoughts are he lacks the work ethic and mental toughness to make a mankok team or at least to stay in cleveland long...regardless of what BE says its obvious he is disgruntled about being a brown and is slowly becoming a cancer and we dont need that..

That's why I posted what I did...he is a me first player.....just like Leon.

Braby needs to go. I have a feeling Mangini isn't going to like Edwards once he spends more than a few hours around him.

I believe that if Braylon had been born in Cleveland or Columbus and played for Ohio State he would get a free pass on every ball he dropped. He does need to improve his concentration, there is no question. He can be one of the top 10 receivers but he isn't there now

Your 100% wrong I don't give a crap where ANYONE plays college. The Browns are first in my book. Everyone else is second. I think he is the only person who cares he played for Michigan. HE HAS TO CATCH THE BALL AND STOP MAKING EXCUSES LIKE A BITCH, PERIOD.

I agree with trading Edwards as I don't think for a MINUTE that he'll resign with the Browns. I will also say that I don't think there is any way you'll get a 1st rounder for him.

We'll see.

Mike

Wow....lots of people like to make assumptions of what a guy "feels" or "doesn't feel". How do we know how he felt after last season? You're making assumptions. ....

I refer back to these stats posted by WPDAWG ....

The man was targeted 138 times and had 55 catches. That is a 39.9 completion/target rate.

Even if he caught EVERY dropped pass he would only have 71 receptions and a 51.4% completion/target rate. So, even if BE was PERFECT...DA still barely broke a 50% completion rate when throwing to him.

Name me one other TOP RECEIVER that has to put up with that kind of ineptitude.

As a point of fact...Brandon Marshall was second in NUMBER of passes NOT CAUGHT (77 to BE's 83) and had 12 drops and he had 183 Targets...for a completion rate of (104/183) 56.8%...and without his drops 63.4%.

We have way too many other holes on the team to worry about filling a spot vacated by a more than adequate receiver (note: I did not say "great")..We also have to put some of the blame on coaching. Leadership is key to instilling greatness in your players. Crennel did not have that quality!

Rosenhaus is shopping Buress, C. Johnson and Vick...Why don't we sign all 3 of them?...Because they are CANCERS!...We could do worse than BE.....He stays!....Anyone thought about where we will be at RB next season?

You have all made some good points. I'm still undecided about Edwards and lean more towards keeping him. If he's going to have a big year (for contract reasons, better coaching, improved QB, etc) let him have it with us!

I don't like prima donna attitudes and believe that if you start running your mouth in public, you better have the cahones to back it up on the field. BE hasn't done that. But knowing the chaos of the team this past season, I'm willing to give him another chance.

Let's see what the new regime, new offense, new TEAM (!), new confidence (hopefully) do for some of these players who could be BIG playmakers...give him one more year.

That's all you got is one more year because he will be a FA next year and you know he will be looking to leave for bigger bucks and fans that really appreciate him. Sounds more and more like Plaxico every day.

Guest Dacaddyman
It isn't asinine to want to trade him....and really, I am acting like the NFL is a business.

Trade him now while we can or be stuck with him with a franchise tag...which is to much money for that guy.

But you are right....he will have a good year since he has something to play for.....himself being his contract year.

Edwards is a Me player.

Here is a recent interview

:lol: I forgot about Leon!

Guest Masters
That's why I posted what I did...he is a me first player.....

Show me a good WR who isn't a me first player and doesn't always want the ball in his hand, and 9/10 time you'll be showing me a #2 at best WR.

Ego and me first is the nature of the WR position in the NFL. It's part of why you need a mentally strong leader at the QB position.

Archived