THE BROWNS BOARD

Braylon Edwards

Guest AdaM

Show me a good WR who isn't a me first player and doesn't always want the ball in his hand, and 9/10 time you'll be showing me a #2 at best WR.

Ego and me first is the nature of the WR position in the NFL. It's part of why you need a mentally strong leader at the QB position.

You are absolutely right about the WR position. It is loaded with primadonnas. But, Fitzgerald isn't the "me" first guy that Boldin is. Do you want to call Hines Ward a #1. Andre Johnson seems to have both feet on the ground and never says shit, even when he doesn't get the ball.

I think my point in the matter is that Crabtree has gained the rep as a guy with very high character and a team player. I have never read a report of him running his mouth or complaining about not getting the ball. So I gauge Edward's value and see if the opportunity is there for a trade if the Browns take Crabtree. If not, I'm sure there are some teams that would love to trade up to get Crabtree.

I don't think Edwards is a waste, but I believe he will walk next year as a free agent. That's want "Me" first guys do. They play hard their contract years and look for the biggest paycheck, it's not about winning to them.

Guest Dacaddyman
I agree.....wanting the ball is different from being a me first player.

Ward isn't a me first player....he is a team guy.

Braby doesn't have anything to do with team.

He also doesn't alienate fans like Edwards does.

Show me a good WR who isn't a me first player and doesn't always want the ball in his hand, and 9/10 time you'll be showing me a #2 at best WR.

Ego and me first is the nature of the WR position in the NFL. It's part of why you need a mentally strong leader at the QB position.

There are so many great ones that had a good attitude and were team players.

Marvin Harrison is about as soft spoken as a player can get.

Jerry Rice was not egotistical.

Steve Largent was a team player.

There are more but that's off the top of my head.

Ego and a "Me first" mentality IS NOT a prerequisite for a quality WR

All Edwards has to do to get along in Cleveland is #1) keep his stupid mouth shut , and #2)catch the damn ball .

#1 Impossible (because he is all mouth)

#2 Improbable (because he lacks guts)

But what about the five hour energy drink?...he has some 'friend' that asks for some every day on his way to practice....but I guess he is the Five Hour Energy Driver

Edwards is a self serving tool

there are two problems with trading edwards: 1) we have no one to replace him and 2) his value is at its absolute lowest. a smarter move would be to let edwards play out the final year on his contract, then franchise him the following year to trade him.

even if we can draft crabtree, it's often said that receivers need two years in the league before they really make the jump to being a superstar, so it could even be a good move to have edwards and crabtree on the field together. if defenses have to account for a second viable receiver, they can't blanket edwards as much and he'll be more productive, thus increasing his trade value once we franchise him the following year. plus, it would keep defenses from stifling and frustrating crabtree so he, too, can have a productive year.

this will be edwards' fifth year in the league. he made the leap after the first two then regressed in his fourth. if we trade him now, we get nothing near what we could if we wait and let him have a productive year. hell, a halfway decent year in 2009 will be far better than the pile of shit he and the rest of the browns produced in 2008.

be patient, people. edwards' value likely can't drop any lower than it already is. we have to wait for his stock to rebound, then franchise and trade him. getting rid of him right now would be selling far too low. also, he'll be less of a whiny little bitch if the team plays better. winning cures almost all ills, unless you're terrell owens. that dude is bona fide batshit insane. braylon's nowhere near that bad.

Guest Masters
There are so many great ones that had a good attitude and were team players.

Marvin Harrison is about as soft spoken as a player can get.

Jerry Rice was not egotistical.

Steve Largent was a team player.

There are more but that's off the top of my head.

Ego and a "Me first" mentality IS NOT a prerequisite for a quality WR

Um...Jerry Rice was actually known for having a huge ego. He just kept his mouth shot until late in his career (he through temper tantrums while with the Raiders especially). You read any story or interview with him, Montana, Jones, or Craig, they'll all tell you that in the huddle all 3 guys were demanding Joe get them the ball.

Largent was know for the same.

Harrison you don't hear about, but Peyton has said he demands the ball.

2 out of those 3 got to play on great teams. Winning always keeps guys more quiet, as far as in public. 2 of those 3 also played a lot of their career in a time when there wasn't quite the media attention there is today.

Braylon hasn't been out there saying CLE isn't winning because he isn't getting the ball, because they aren't throwing to him, that he's the only guy that cares, etc. Basically he hasn't run his mouth like TO does everywhere he goes, Keyshawn used to do, the way Moss did at the end of his MIN days and pretty soon into his Raiders days. Those are me first behaviors imo.

Braylon likes to play, he likes to win, and he likes Braylon. Nothing wrong w/ any of those 3 characteristics. Braylon had a bad season, he knows it, and he lashed out when boo'd. God forbid he be human. CLE needs to see if he can bounce back. Before the season a large majority on this board were calling him the best WR in the NFL (which I didn't agree with). Now it's ship him off. Let the guy try and bounce back. CLE doesn't lose out if he returns to being the player he was in 2007, which is where his talent level actually is.

Guest Masters
All Edwards has to do to get along in Cleveland is #1) keep his stupid mouth shut , and #2)catch the damn ball .

#1 Impossible (because he is all mouth)

#2 Improbable (because he lacks guts)

Funny, up until the very end of 2007 Braylon was making the big catches and taking hits, which is guts. But when the QB keeps leading you into big hits or setting you up for them with bad passes, you tend to get alligator arms. No WR likes to keep getting creamed, especially when that is just about every time you are targeted. People were noticing this at the end of the 2007 season. Not just from Edwards, but also Winslow. They quit fully extending on the tough plays, and regularly shaking their heads after a bad DA pass.

Braylon can easly return to the player that made big play catches like he did before his first injury and like he did most of 2007.

But what about the five hour energy drink?...he has some 'friend' that asks for some every day on his way to practice....but I guess he is the Five Hour Energy Driver

Edwards is a self serving tool

I still can't figure out who his friend would be................................................maybe Stallworth. LOL

Um...Jerry Rice was actually known for having a huge ego. He just kept his mouth shot until late in his career (he through temper tantrums while with the Raiders especially). You read any story or interview with him, Montana, Jones, or Craig, they'll all tell you that in the huddle all 3 guys were demanding Joe get them the ball.

2 out of those 3 got to play on great teams. Winning always keeps guys more quiet, as far as in public. 2 of those 3 also played a lot of their career in a time when there wasn't quite the media attention there is today.

Braylon hasn't been out there saying CLE isn't winning because he isn't getting the ball, because they aren't throwing to him, that he's the only guy that cares, etc. Basically he hasn't run his mouth like TO does everywhere he goes, Keyshawn used to do, the way Moss did at the end of his MIN days and pretty soon into his Raiders days. Those are me first behaviors imo.

Braylon likes to play, he likes to win, and he likes Braylon. Nothing wrong w/ any of those 3 characteristics. Braylon had a bad season, he knows it, and he lashed out when boo'd. God forbid he be human. CLE needs to see if he can bounce back. Before the season a large majority on this board were calling him the best WR in the NFL (which I didn't agree with). Now it's ship him off. Let the guy try and bounce back. CLE doesn't lose out if he returns to being the player he was in 2007, which is where his talent level actually is.

The whole point is you want to give him another chance and he has 1 year left on his contract and he is moving on. do you expect that he would resign with the Browns. We aren't going to the super bowl next year so give me something for him (like Crabtree) and let's move on and build a winning team.

Um...That actually doesn't make much sense.

The fact that Rice kept his mouth shut, wouldn't that equate to being a team player? In other words, his ego obviously did not interupt the team's ability to win. He kept his mouth shut. Something Braylon Edwards needs to learn in the worst way. Your own words actually makes my point. He may have had an ego, we all do, especially athletes. But he kept his ego in check. He didn't cry to the media. Montana may have seen an ego, but Rice kept it inside the lockeroom or the huddle. Again, something a team player would do. He didn't advertise it to the world....i.e. Braylon Edwards, T.O. etc.

Finally, The point you made isn't even close to the class of WR that is being dicussed in this post.

Show me one article about Steve Largent's ego being a disruptive force. I want to see one. It's easy to post what you've written but I'd like to see it written somewhere.

I don't know if you realize that Largent, ego in check, gave Rice permission to wear his #80 Jersey when he was aquired by the Seahawks even though Largent's #80 had been retired by the Seahwaks.

It's well known that Largent is a class guy.

Finally your claim about Harrison....Are you sure you are not thinking of Reggie Wayne? Again, I'd like to see where Peyton has said Harrison demanded the ball or that his ego ever caused a problem.

I'll never forget Harrison's record breaking catch. Peyton and Harrison had just broken Young's and Rice's record for most TD passes between one QB and WR...Peyton tried to give Harrison the ball as they ran out of the end zone together. Harrison wouldn't take it. He told Manning to keep it. Sure, Marvin has a huge ego. He's no team guy.

I've heard Peyton talk of Marvin a lot. He loves the guy.

In the 80's their wasn't the media attention that there is today? Are you kidding? The NFL was in the middle of huge growth.

Montana's pass to Dwight Clark in the end zone is an iconic image of the NFL. The NFL was televised on the three major networks and ESPN sure covered it heavily. How about Haye's Stickum and the Boz? The Bear's Super bowl Shuffle? Dan Marino was the biggest thing in Florida since Hurricane Cleo...Well, maybe the biggest thing since the undefeated Dolphins.

Walter Payton breaking the career rushing record? The 1982 OT playoff games between the Dolphins and Chargers is almost as famous as any game. The Dolphins Hook and Latteral in that game...The camera in Kellen Winslow's face as he was being carried off the field after the OT becasue he was too exhausted to walk....Another iconic image of the NFL from the 1980's.

There are many example of the NFL's huge popularity in the 80's. I don't think much has changed since the 80's. The only big change is there are more media whores like T.O.

I keep thinking of the Raiders when it comes to Edwards. Something about Edwards makes me think he would fit well into the silver and black.

I'd love to see the Browns send him there for a 2nd round pick. With the Raiders #2 the Browns could grab Kenny Britt.

I know you'll all think I'm crazy but that's how much I'd like to see Edwards gone. I think he'll be a cancer and then he'll be gone via being an UFA anyways.

I love all this hate for "me first" receivers.

Wake up. The league is filled with them and they win championships. Let's see:

Moss - New England

Plaxico - New York

Holmes - Pittsburgh

Last three Super Bowl winners had bigger mouths on their teams than Edwards by a long shot and "managed" their egos to championships.

Who's going to be our number 1 receiver next year if we trade Edwards? Crabtree? If available, he'll break the usual pattern of underwhelming first year before blooming in years 2 or 3. He'll struggle his first year. Stallworth? Un huh.

Nope, Mangini will put some discipline on Edwards (may be what he needs, worked at Michigan) and playing in a contract year we'll get huge numbers from him.

Moss - New England

Plaxico - New York

Holmes - Pittsburgh

Last three Super Bowl winners had bigger mouths on their teams than Edwards by a long shot and "managed" their egos to championships.

Moss has never won the superbowl.

Moss - New England

Plaxico - New York

Holmes - Pittsburgh

Who's going to be our number 1 receiver next year if we trade Edwards? Crabtree? If available, he'll break the usual pattern of underwhelming first year before blooming in years 2 or 3. He'll struggle his first year. Stallworth? Un huh.

Nope, Mangini will put some discipline on Edwards (may be what he needs, worked at Michigan) and playing in a contract year we'll get huge numbers from him.

I agree with Moss and Plaxico, but Holmes is a real big stretch. Holmes is a team first guy and always has been. I'd like to see Edwards throw just one block downfield like Holmes does. Plus, at least those guys catch the ball. Big mouths who never accept the blame for dropping passes because of their egos like Edwards, TO and Chad Johnson are cancers that ruin teams. BTW NE and NY weren't one man teams. They both had pro bowl QBs that those guys had to respect.

Guest Masters
The whole point is you want to give him another chance and he has 1 year left on his contract and he is moving on. do you expect that he would resign with the Browns. We aren't going to the super bowl next year so give me something for him (like Crabtree) and let's move on and build a winning team.

If he does return to form, CLE can always finally use that franchise tag. You don't work in a new QB (who has 2 career starts) with no established #1 WR. If CLE can actually grab Crabtree in round 1 at the #5 pick, then maybe trading Edwards will make sense. But that's also using the assumption that Crabtree will come in and play like a #1 WR from day one at the NFL. That is a big gamble. Not just at WR but w/ your QB too.

Guest Masters
Um...That actually doesn't make much sense.

The fact that Rice kept his mouth shut, wouldn't that equate to being a team player? In other words, his ego obviously did not interupt the team's ability to win. He kept his mouth shut. Something Braylon Edwards needs to learn in the worst way. Your own words actually makes my point. He may have had an ego, we all do, especially athletes. But he kept his ego in check. He didn't cry to the media. Montana may have seen an ego, but Rice kept it inside the lockeroom or the huddle. Again, something a team player would do. He didn't advertise it to the world....i.e. Braylon Edwards, T.O. etc.

Finally, The point you made isn't even close to the class of WR that is being dicussed in this post.

Show me one article about Steve Largent's ego being a disruptive force. I want to see one. It's easy to post what you've written but I'd like to see it written somewhere.

I don't know if you realize that Largent, ego in check, gave Rice permission to wear his #80 Jersey when he was aquired by the Seahawks even though Largent's #80 had been retired by the Seahwaks.

It's well known that Largent is a class guy.

Finally your claim about Harrison....Are you sure you are not thinking of Reggie Wayne? Again, I'd like to see where Peyton has said Harrison demanded the ball or that his ego ever caused a problem.

I'll never forget Harrison's record breaking catch. Peyton and Harrison had just broken Young's and Rice's record for most TD passes between one QB and WR...Peyton tried to give Harrison the ball as they ran out of the end zone together. Harrison wouldn't take it. He told Manning to keep it. Sure, Marvin has a huge ego. He's no team guy.

I've heard Peyton talk of Marvin a lot. He loves the guy.

In the 80's their wasn't the media attention that there is today? Are you kidding? The NFL was in the middle of huge growth.

Montana's pass to Dwight Clark in the end zone is an iconic image of the NFL. The NFL was televised on the three major networks and ESPN sure covered it heavily. How about Haye's Stickum and the Boz? The Bear's Super bowl Shuffle? Dan Marino was the biggest thing in Florida since Hurricane Cleo...Well, maybe the biggest thing since the undefeated Dolphins.

Walter Payton breaking the career rushing record? The 1982 OT playoff games between the Dolphins and Chargers is almost as famous as any game. The Dolphins Hook and Latteral in that game...The camera in Kellen Winslow's face as he was being carried off the field after the OT becasue he was too exhausted to walk....Another iconic image of the NFL from the 1980's.

There are many example of the NFL's huge popularity in the 80's. I don't think much has changed since the 80's. The only big change is there are more media whores like T.O.

I can look them up, or so can you. Keeping your mouth shut to the media is a difference in games and the sports coverage of the gaem today. Your whole point on the media is off base. Yeah, the sport, as far as for on the field was being covered. Not the every day of every player. You didn't hear every word a player utters in the locker room after a game in the 80's or even the early 90's. You didn't hear about every time a player got a DUI or beat his women either. That is the point. The sports media didn't go looking for the Enquirer headline/story like they do now. That's why you hear more from guys being unhappy, complaining, etc.

I will go to the Harrison one though. How many times have you even seen a reporter put a mic in front of him? Not many. Just cause the guy is smart enough to not answer baiting questions by the media doesn't mean he doesn't have an ego. Just because Braylon doesn't like being boo'd doesn't mean he is a "me" first player. If you read any of those stories, where do they always start? With a leading/baiting question. He answers it.

Again I ask, has Braylon said CLE losing was not because of his pay? Has he said CLE isn't winning because he isn't getting the ball? Has he actually said anything similar to what TO or Moss (pre-NE) has ever said, or done?

The answer is no.

Guest Masters
It doesnt matter that we don't have an immediate replacement. Trade him now, when you will get the most for him. Someone who actually catches most of the passes thrown his way is a better option. Successful business plan for the day after tomorrow and not just tomorrow.

So basically you want 2007 Braylon and not 2008 Braylon. Because in 07' Braylon did actually catch most of the passes thrown his way.

And who is the guy who will actually catch most of the throws CLE will get, and will also be a deep threat?

Guest Masters
I agree with Moss and Plaxico, but Holmes is a real big stretch. Holmes is a team first guy and always has been. I'd like to see Edwards throw just one block downfield like Holmes does. Plus, at least those guys catch the ball. Big mouths who never accept the blame for dropping passes because of their egos like Edwards, TO and Chad Johnson are cancers that ruin teams. BTW NE and NY weren't one man teams. They both had pro bowl QBs that those guys had to respect.

So Holmes was a team player by missing meetings, and having two run in's with the law (including one this season that the team suspended him for)? That wasn't thinking of himself first?

Braylon caught the ball all through the 07' season, and season's before, for the most part. He had one bad season, all while having a QB who was getting him killed most of 2007 and the first half of 08'.

So Braylon has actually run to the media and put on antics like TO or Chad? I haven't seen that. I've seen the media come to him, in the locker room, and answer the question possed to him (such as "how do you feel about the fans booing you"). Those are huge differences.

I agree YT.....Holmes is a team player.

If Edwards was playing more like Moss or TO, I could look past the attitude, but he isn't, so I can't.

He is a lot closer to Quincy Morgan than he is to Randy Moss

Guest Masters
I agree YT.....Holmes is a team player.

If Edwards was playing more like Moss or TO, I could look past the attitude, but he isn't, so I can't.

He is a lot closer to Quincy Morgan than he is to Randy Moss

And what were you saying about Braylon after his 2007 season?

Damn, talk about what have you done for me lately! Sheesh!

With fan support like this who needs rivals.

Braylon's lucky Masters came upon this thread.

Braylon's a future all-pro......probably for years. He's just taking a minute to fully develop.

Some seem to forget the difference between a BE and a Travis Wilson. Or a Dennis Northcutt.

Do any of you feel all 32 teams in the league have a more legit #1 than he is? Upside notwithstanding?

It always helps me to take a few minutes and go back and watch Langhorne and Slaughter drop a few. I highly recommend it for proper perspective--it'll only take one game.

Hey now :o ....just keepin' it real. ^_^

The best thing the Browns could do is get a legit #1 or equivalent on the roster...like a Houshmanzadeh type guy that can truly challenge Braylon to compete in ways Donte Stallworth could never dream of.

Ocho, Boldin, anybody to make him eat, sleep, and breathe practice. (Holt last year and this never even happens)

Do that and you're done. It would work itself out from there in favor of all parties involved.

--one man gathers what another man spills--

And what were you saying about Braylon after his 2007 season?

About the same minus the trade talk since we still had him for 2 years....now we have him for this season and need to get rid of him before we have to overpay big time or get very little for the guy.

Archived