THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting Options Developing in Browns QB Situation

Frenchie

Hoyer has never lost a Super Bowl; Jim Kelly blows compared to Brian Hoyer.

This is fun logic, I think I just became a better golfer than Phil,

Don't get your point. Tony Romo has never lost a Super Bowl either. Because he chokes before he gets there.

Zombo

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny Manziel has never lost an NFL game before.

NEVER.

he's never thrown 3 interceptions in a game.

He's never gone 16/41 and lost to the worst team in the NFL.

Are you starting to follow your logic?

HINT: HOYER HAS NEVER PUT HIMSELF IN A SITUATION TO CHOKE LIKE ROMO HAS. ITS INCREDIBLY SELECTIVE.

WE DON'T KNOW IF hOYER WOULD CHOKE WITH A PLAYOFF BIRTH ON THE LINE, OR IN THE PLAYOFFS

BECAUSE....

DRUM ROLL....

HE'S BEEN GETTING CUT AND PRACTICING.

Johnny Manziel has never lost an NFL game before.

NEVER.

he's never thrown 3 interceptions in a game.

He's never gone 16/41 and lost to the worst team in the NFL.

Are you starting to follow your logic?

HINT: HOYER HAS NEVER PUT HIMSELF IN A SITUATION TO CHOKE LIKE ROMO HAS. ITS INCREDIBLY SELECTIVE.

WE DON'T KNOW IF hOYER WOULD CHOKE WITH A PLAYOFF BIRTH ON THE LINE, OR IN THE PLAYOFFS

BECAUSE....

DRUM ROLL....

HE'S BEEN GETTING CUT AND PRACTICING.

You seem very angry about Brian Hoyer. This is his first season as a starter ... other than last year when he went 3-0 as a starter on a 4-12 team. So now at 7-3 you are saying "so what, he was a journeyman".

Yes ... was.

Then he got a chance to start. Then he started to win. Still happening.

So ... I think we're going to play this whole thing out if you don't mind.

Zombo

---so Tony Romo chokes ... at least you got Weeden ... the guy that lost his job to Hoyer!

Browns are winning because of good coaching/scheme and good defense plus a weak schedule. Hoyer is just doing enough to not fuck things up. Credit him for being a bus driver but at some point he is going to have to do more to keep them winning.

Romo has proven to play at a high level for many seasons. He had given the Cowboys a chance to compete each year despite having terrible defenses, bad offensive lines and no focus on the running game.

If you think Hoyer is in the same class as Romo, you are either being dishonest in your comments or just lacking in football knowledge.

I do not think they are in the same class. Romo is in the Choking Class and Hoyer is in the Remains To Be Seen Class.

Zombo

Romo is a clutch QB. His stats prove it. http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/7/10/5887977/tony-romo-dallas-cowboys-myths-elimination-playoff-hunt-games

Far from perfect, but ill take him over Hoyer any day of the week. I dont need to wait any longer to see what Hoyer is. Its clear as day.

So then, you too are impressed with a QB that goes 7-3 on a team that other wise goes 1-12 over two years?

Zombo

Browns are winning because of good coaching/scheme and good defense plus a weak schedule. Hoyer is doing enough to not fuck things up. Credit him for being a bus driver but at some point he is going to have to do more to keep them winning.

Romo has proven to play at a high level for many seasons. He had given the Cowboys a chance to compete each year despite having terrible defenses, bad offensive lines and no focus on the running game. Hell, include horrible coaching as well.

If you think Hoyer is in the same class as Romo, you are either being dishonest in your comments or just lacking in football knowledge.

Zombo's response should be: Hell, I sure as hell hope Hoyer doesn't prove to be in the same class as Romo. We want to win.

But,you are right....it certainly has not been Romo's fault that the Cowboys haven't won. They have been a bad to mediocre team.

He should ask to go somewhere else to get fresh start. He would look good in a Jets uniform, no?

#1. Hoyer is winning...so who cares right? Right. When you're winning you roll with it. Thats rule #1. Dont fix what aint broke.

I am just not impressed with Hoyer, sorry. No need to apologize. We're not too worried about what you think.

Manziel could do that. Um, probably. Im not aware of any one saying he couldn't

I saw a Browns defense that suffocated a Raiders offense. First time this year. It was timely for the D to show up. Until then, all the wins were on Hoyer and the Offense

ike i said, Browns won...who cares how it happened right? Exactly. A win is a win is a win. Even better when your team ISNT one dimensional and can & does win many ways. Defense, running, passing, turnovers, special teams. THATS the way to do it. Too many teams rely on one or 2 superstars, when having a balanced solid "team" can get er done

choking?

let's compare apples with baby apples

Romo:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=RomoTo00

Hoyer:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=HoyeBr00

Game Winning Drives:
(26) Tony Romo (26) Boomer Esiason
(3) Brian Hoyer (3) Ryan Leaf

4Th QTR Comebacks
(22) Tony Romo, (22) Jim Kelly
(3) Brian Hoyer, (3) Jamarcus Russell

Romo is a full 5-6 years older. Brian has time to prove that he may be a mediocre as Romo.

lol...

Romo was just given an extension. They rebuilt the O-line just for him. Given him all the weapons he needs. Why go to a Jets offense that has nothing?

Anyways, Hoyer isnt in the same mold as Romo. Manziel is similar to him. Much more athletic and faster. Hoyer is the mold of a Chad Pennington. Maybe Brad Johnson. Something like that. Serviceable. Stop-gap QB until they are ready to unleash #2.

Just for him? Pretty sure rebuilding an O-line is a sound move regardless. Not to mention that in order to afford rebuilding the O-line, Jerrah also had to substantially disassemble the D.

As for Hoyer... decent comparisons, but now the only thing unleashing #2 is bound to get you is a 21-day quarantine.

Romo was just given an extension. They rebuilt the O-line just for him. Given him all the weapons he needs. Why go to a Jets offense that has nothing?

Anyways, Hoyer isnt in the same mold as Romo. Manziel is similar to him. Much more athletic and faster. Hoyer is the mold of a Chad Pennington. Maybe Brad Johnson. Something like that. Serviceable. Stop-gap QB until they are ready to unleash #2.

Brad Johnson, that ol' "stop gap" that took three different franchises to the playoffs and won a Super Bowl ring?

Yes, I will take that over the guy with the pretty stats and loads of weapons that loses a chance to get into the playoffs three years in a row.

Zombo

Hoyer might be a good QB for a team with a top 3 defense.
His ability/luck/whatever it is that hasn't turned the ball over. No one can knock him there.That's legit.

But at some point, he's going to have to make a play when everything goes wrong.
I haven't seen the slightest hint at having that ability.

Look at this list of QB's with multiple Super Bowl starts, you see playmakers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_quarterbacks_with_multiple_Super_Bowl_starts

Hoyer might be a good QB for a team with a top 3 defense.

His ability/luck/whatever it is that hasn't turned the ball over. No one can knock him there.That's legit.

But at some point, he's going to have to make a play when everything goes wrong.

Look at this list of QB's with multiple Super Bowl starts, you see playmakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_quarterbacks_with_multiple_Super_Bowl_starts

why did you come back?

is the texas portal for douchebags back open? because we didn't see hide or hair from you the browns steam-rolled the steelers. now there's maybe a hint of trouble and all the JF fagboys come running back in with their dicks in their hands.

GTFO.

Ya ... if only we could see him perform when "everything goes wrong".

Like being down 28-3 on the road? And then throwing three TD passes to win the game?

Something along those lines?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000406000/Week-5-Browns-vs-Titans-highlights

Zombo

--Not the slightest hint, eh?

Because he has done nothing as a Cowboy. He may need a change of scenery.

Honestly....I expect the Cowboys to be close to that 8-8 record when all is said and done. Maybe 9-7 with this good start. It will be stupefying if they go to 10 wins.

Hoyer...to many here is similar to Brian Sipe. You probably don't remember him. Chad may be a good comparison.

JFF can't be compared to anyone because JFF isn't ready to play. The only comparisons that make sense from a speed, size, race perspective is Tarkenton...

Zach Martin had a second round grade? Not on any board I followed...

As for cap total... with three rookie deals starting, I'd hope it's cheap this year. Next year? Not so much with Free jumping from $6.5 to $11.0 and Smith from $5.0 to $13.0...

And at that a lot of folks thought Smith signed way too cheap (or at least too long) for the top talent he has shown he is.

$11.0M for a RT? Not feeling that's in the cards for 2015...

choking?

Romo:

Hoyer:

Game Winning Drives:

(26) Tony Romo ....in 116 career starts.... that is 22 pct

(3) Brian Hoyer ...in 10 career starts....that is 30 pct.

4Th QTR Comebacks

(22) Tony Romo, ...that is 18.9%

(3) Brian Hoyer, that is 30% (and he holds the record for largest comeback)

#1. Hoyer is winning...so who cares right?

That said. I rewatched the Raiders game again. I am just not impressed with Hoyer, sorry. He throws good bubble screens and check downs. Manziel could do that. 2 passes should have been pick-6s. I saw a Browns defense that suffocated a Raiders offense. Like i said, Browns won...who cares how it happened right?

Well ... Ya. Better than "Dallas Loses, But It Sure Looked Pretty!"

Zombo

romo is done. i'm sure they're not disclosing how bad he is really hurt.

"no structural damage" doesn't mean that you can barely move and the sciatica makes it feel like you're putting your legs through glass every time you take a step.

don't dislike the guy, in fact i feel sorry for him. sorry for him being on a dysfunctional franchise that would make cleveland look normal.

something about oil money makes a man crazy.

milkshake.jpg

choking?

Romo:

Hoyer:

Game Winning Drives:

(26) Tony Romo (26) Boomer Esiason

(3) Brian Hoyer (3) Ryan Leaf

4Th QTR Comebacks

(22) Tony Romo, (22) Jim Kelly

(3) Brian Hoyer, (3) Jamarcus Russell

Game Winning Drives:

(26) Tony Romo ....in 116 career starts.... that is 22 pct

(3) Brian Hoyer ...in 10 career starts....that is 30 pct.

4Th QTR Comebacks

(22) Tony Romo, ...that is 18.9%

(3) Brian Hoyer, that is 30% (and he holds the record for largest comeback)

So, there's that ....

Zombo

--Thanks for the assist, gip, didn't see this lameass post first time through

Archived