THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting Options Developing in Browns QB Situation

Frenchie

Completely false. Unless the Browns make the playoffs Manziel will start at some point next year regardless if Hoyer is healthy. PTI spent time today mapping out what everyone, other than Browns' fans realize.

And before I get called a Manzelot or troll, I think Hoyer has been excellent and in no way deserves this situation. I was not a fan of drafting Manziel. The cold hard truth that everyone outside of Cleveland realizes, you don't draft a QB in the first round, especially with the hype of Johnny Football and keep him on the bench for 2 seasons unless you have the guy you want to be your QB the next 5 plus years.

?

Phillip rivers?

Aaron Rogers?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the QBs drafted in the first round in the last 10 years name the ones who did not start at least one game in one of their first 2 seasons?

Aaron Rodgers, who sat for 3 years behind a top 10 QB of All Time in his prime

the new CBA changed all of that, so you can't compare the 2.

Give a Hoyer a 4-5 year deal. It's possible that for the final 2 years of that deal he's the backup...nobody knows. He should get paid, not Peyton Manning paid mind you but paid nonetheless. If he has a problem with Johnny Manziel sitting on the bench waiting to step in for him than Hoyer isn't who we thought he is. He wants to be the man, fine...but to be the man you have to stay the man. If he plays like shit for an extended period he's going to get replaced...that's football. I'd rather him be replaced by someone like JF than Connor Shaw. We've got Manziel on the cheap for a couple years till his rookie contract runs out. Let's give Hoyer the team until Johnny has to be let go, traded or resigned. If Johnny has made serious improvements and looks better than Hoyer in TC, well than guess what? He's gonna start. If he continues to play better than oh well I like Hoyer but it is what it is. Whoevers better gets to start.

Hoyer should be signed to a deal, he's earned it. He's the clear cut starter and damn good QB

If Hoyer refuses to sign due to Manziel being on the roster, that's about as childish as you can get and putting himself in front of the team.

I'm not worried at all, Hoyer will get signed to a 4-5 year deal with around 8-12 million a year

Manziel, like a fine bourbon will only get better with riding the pine with time

So imagine that you've been working for five years at business and you finally are about to get that promotion you've been looking for. You're damn good at your job, but you don't have the best pedigree, say you went to a mid level business school like Dayton. All of a sudden you're boss hires this young hotshot fresh out of Harvard's MBA program. You feel threatened that he may get that promotion that you deserve just because of what he did back in college and not what he could actually bring to your business.

This is obviously isn't a perfect example, but it kind of shows you how Hoyer may feel with Manziel there. These rumors seem a bit off based, but he probably is sick of being asked about the new guy repeatedly by the media. It's too bad he didn't get the rest of last season to prove himself, but he has to prove he can continue his level of play and dispel any more Johnny Drama for the rest of the season. These next three games are crucial because he has prove he can beat the teams we should be able to beat.

Wait, Hoyer isn't asking for 15m is he? Please Tell me he's not asking for Peyton Manning money.

No one at this point has any clue about what $$ number Hoyer might be thinking.

Completely false. Unless the Browns make the playoffs Manziel will start at some point next year regardless if Hoyer is healthy. PTI spent time today mapping out what everyone, other than Browns' fans realize.

And before I get called a Manzelot or troll, I think Hoyer has been excellent and in no way deserves this situation. I was not a fan of drafting Manziel. The cold hard truth that everyone outside of Cleveland realizes, you don't draft a QB in the first round, especially with the hype of Johnny Football and keep him on the bench for 2 seasons unless you have the guy you want to be your QB the next 5 plus years.

You don't know that yet- as long as Hoyer keeps winning- Manziel sits. Yeah- even for a couple of years. It matters not Hoyer isn't Brett Farve- as long as he's winning. Kurt Warner good will certainly be adequate. I doubt Pettine gives a rat's ass how much hype JF had when he came into the league. His job depends on wins, not public opinion- especially not anything BSPN's Wil-bum and Cornholer think who should start. Really- you're going to toss JFF in there next year over a guy who has say- a 97 qbr at the end of the season? Fucking nuts to even think that.

Reiterating, damn incredible at this point some people thinking we're going to shit- can a guy with a 6-2 record starting, 97 qbr, and tossed 100+ passes until his first int over an unproven rookie. OK, Washington offers us three firsts and a second- well, time to listen to a deal like that.

There's certainly a scenario if Manziel can't beat out Hoyer, should he turn into Johnny Crybaby, Farmer would entertain offers to unload the distraction. Hi Jerry, what you give us? Guess what JFF? You're going to be sitting behind Romo instead of Hoyer.

The only divide I see is Hoyer fans anxious to be rid of competition. I like Manziel, but I am perfectly happy with him on the bench. I am not calling for Manziel to play. We don't have to make that call for 2-3 years.

I say wait a while to see how this play out. How is that unreasonable?

You mean some Hoyer fans- that's certainly a minority opinion.

Franchise Brian? No... Don't see top 5 bucks in his future.

I've said before a good, three-ish year deal with a mutual option year, and a base salary in the top half of starters plus incentives should do the trick. At least I believe this will do it now... but the longer we wait...

And Johnny's no issue if Brian goes into camps as THE announced starter for as long as he is on this roll. No telling how long that will be...

+1. Why on Earth wouldn't we keep both? I like Hoyer but Manziel has more physical tools. IF (and it looks like a big if) Manziel can prove or learn to have the goods between the ears that Hoyer has, Manziel will become the better QB. For that reason we need to keep both: So Manziel can try to learn from Hoyer and so we have Hoyer if he doesn't.

Good point! They both get those names from poor decisions they made. But at least I am not pretending that Ben is something he is not.

I don't think riding an inflatable duck while drunk and rape are really in the same ballpark of poor decisions.

This is where you have to remove your brown colored glasses. If you apply the same logic to JF that you apply to Ben, then JF is a coke addict and a dozen or so other derogatory things; and Shaun Rogers is a terrorist because why else would you attempt to smuggle a gun on to an airplane at the Cleveland airport. Ben and JF both made very poor decisions to put themselves in situations where nothing but bad can result......end of story.

Okay, I stand corrected, apparently being stupid enough to try to bring a gun on a plane, and doing drugs are as bad as raping a woman. Apparently the legal system would disagree with you, as rape carries a maximum sentence of life in prison whereas drug possession carries a maximum of two years. It must've been hard to see the difference with those Steeler-black-colored glasses.

Right now Johnny is an athlete playing QB, but what happens when he becomes a QB who is an athlete?

I'm sure you understand what I mean by that and it changes everything. Pettine sees it which is why he keeps saying what he does about Johnny for the long run.

How good of "a QB"?

As long as Hoyer is playing at the level he is, it changes nothing.

I think that when the Browns organization drafted JM they had no idea that Hoyer would be great. They thought at least pretty good, probably good, possibly very good, but great was never factored in.

The PTI guys bought Cole's "reporting"... did not question it at all. Very disappointing... Tony K is an unabashed Manzelot because JM is good press times two: "exciting" to watch on the field and at the center of something or other off. Makes him a 12-month story perfect for 24/7 sports media.

As for the whole first round thing... what may have been true draft day does not have to remain true in light of current circumstances. Since that pick was turned in BH's stock has risen dramatically while JM's has fallen.

Sometimes you have the guy you want and don't know it...

Shaun Rogers is a terrorist because why else would you attempt to smuggle a gun on to an airplane at the Cleveland airport.

I'm pretty sure Shaun was just a huge, Barry Switzer fan...

Stop whining. It's a Brownsboard. You don't like it, too bad...

Even ratbird fans hate the steelers, and steeler fans.

I just hate the steelers, it's fun, and very justified.

However, I will say, that I never considered Jack Lambert as a dirty player.

One of the meanest, yes, but not a cheapshot artist. Watched him play in college,

and met him one night at the Robin Hood Inn.

But go watch that hit Polly did in college - watch that video again and again. Eventually,

you'll see what I'm talking about. Sometimes, it takes time to sink in for some steeler fans.

Take Hoyer out of the equation, how would we be reacting to Gilbert not playing until year 3? He'd be a wasted pick.

Quarterbacks are different in that they are commodities that you can store. Favre, Brady, Rodgers, and many others didn't play their first year, Rodgers sat 3 or 4 I think. Hardest position in sports to learn and play, if the talent is there you keep them. Cornerbacks are no good to you if they aren't on the field, they are taking up roster spots. Gotta have a #2 QB.

Zombo

Take Hoyer out of the equation, how would we be reacting to Gilbert not playing until year 3? He'd be a wasted pick.

If Gilbert could master the QB position in two years, I'd be willing to wait.

Quarterbacks are different in that they are commodities that you can store. Favre, Brady, Rodgers, and many others didn't play their first year, Rodgers sat 3 or 4 I think. Hardest position in sports to learn and play, if the talent is there you keep them. Cornerbacks are no good to you if they aren't on the field, they are taking up roster spots. Gotta have a #2 QB.

Zombo

Not to mention Manziel didn't go through four years of college. If anyone needs to sit for 3-4 years, it is him, and I'd be perfectly happy with that so long as Hoyer continues to play at current levels.

The PTI guys bought Cole's "reporting"... did not question it at all. Very disappointing... Tony K is an unabashed Manzelot because JM is good press times two: "exciting" to watch on the field and at the center of something or other off. Makes him a 12-month story perfect for 24/7 sports media.

As for the whole first round thing... what may have been true draft day does not have to remain true in light of current circumstances. Since that pick was turned in BH's stock has risen dramatically while JM's has fallen.

Sometimes you have the guy you want and don't know it...

Didn't realize the PTI guys bought the Bleacher Report garbage hook, line, and sinker. You'd think they'd do a little research before running their mouths. On further review- yup- BSPN wants to see Johnny Football out there, not boring Brian Hoyer- even though should Hoyer take the Browns to the playoffs- it is easily the top surprise of the year. Same way they're still sucking up to non-story RG III.

CBA has been in place since 2011 and no change.

You can also include 2nd rounders in that mix since 2011 only Denver and New England have kept their pick on the bench.

Any why is that Bacon? IT'S BECAUSE THE GUY STARTING AHEAD OF HIM WAS BETTER. DOH!!! Right now Hoyer is the better qb, and it's not even arguable. Who did Bortles replace? Carr? Bridgewater? A who's- not -who list of bums. BTW, expectations for a qb taken in the top 5 are a lot different than a qb taken in the 20s.

Z pointed out other position players are viewed differently that quarterbacks. Manziel didn't even have a playbook at A&M. I mean get used to the idea- as long as Hoyer is playing at a high level, Manziel sits. Yes, next year too. And maybe even the year after that. No decision needs to be made until his rookie deal runs out- after his 4th year in the league.

BTW, right now the last thing I would want to see happen is Hoyer get hurt- the Manzealots get their wish- and JFF goes out there and starts making a ton of rookie mistakes.

Maybe he's getting frustrated that this team is finally coming together and playing real, pro level football, he's trying to concentrate on keeping that going and all these so-called "reporters" want to do is create bullshit chaos by asking stupid, unfounded questions about the rookie on the bench who is doing nothing to contribute right now. I know I sure am.

How good of "a QB"?

As long as Hoyer is playing at the level he is, it changes nothing.

I think that when the Browns organization drafted JM they had no idea that Hoyer would be great. They thought at least pretty good, probably good, possibly very good, but great was never factored in.

What I mean by that is he shows he can play QB at the highest level and retains the ability to escape would-be tacklers while finding open receivers downfield. That would mean he is playing better than Hoyer. And the jury is still out on whether Hoyer is "great". Too small a sample size to determine that yet. Win 7 of the next 11 and get past the first round of the playoffs, then I would start to concede that point. And you would then be correct, it would not matter what JF is doing in practice. As dear old DKR once said of his longhorns, "We'll dance with the ones that brung us."

Didn't realize the PTI guys bought the Bleacher Report garbage hook, line, and sinker. You'd think they'd do a little research before running their mouths. On further review- yup- BSPN wants to see Johnny Football out there, not boring Brian Hoyer- even though should Hoyer take the Browns to the playoffs- it is easily the top surprise of the year. Same way they're still sucking up to non-story RG III.

Any why is that Bacon? IT'S BECAUSE THE GUY STARTING AHEAD OF HIM WAS BETTER. DOH!!! Right now Hoyer is the better qb, and it's not even arguable. Who did Bortles replace? Carr? Bridgewater? A who's- not -who list of bums. BTW, expectations for a qb taken in the top 5 are a lot different than a qb taken in the 20s.

Z pointed out other position players are viewed differently that quarterbacks. Manziel didn't even have a playbook at A&M. I mean get used to the idea- as long as Hoyer is playing at a high level, Manziel sits. Yes, next year too. And maybe even the year after that. No decision needs to be made until his rookie deal runs out- after his 4th year in the league.

BTW, right now the last thing I would want to see happen is Hoyer get hurt- the Manzealots get their wish- and JFF goes out there and starts making a ton of rookie mistakes.

Actually it's because Manning and Brady are two of the best QBs to ever play the game, Hoyer has had a good start to the season. As soon as the Browns lose a game everyone thinks they should win or he starts to slip a bit all the talk will be about Manziel. I hope it doesn't happen because I simply don't think Manziel has what it takes physically to be a franchise QB but it's not what I think, it's what Farmer and Haslam think and as soon as they drafted him Hoyer's days were numbered.

Archived