THE BROWNS BOARD

Bolstering Our DL

WPB Dawg Fan

Alex Magee (3rd round) 6'3" 295 (quick feet)

Evander Hood (2nd round) 6'3" 298

Jarron Gilbert (2-3) 6'5" 287

Ricky-Jean Francois (3-4) 6'3" 290 (fast for a big guy)

Mitch King (3) 6'2" 275 (4.75 40, nonstop motor)

I think we need to be focusing on the DE spots to allow our LB's the freedom to move without having OL in their face. If we can put a couple of bookends around Rogers/Rubin...we will likely see a huge improvement in the play of ALL our LB's..but Wimbley and Hall in particular.

Guest Aloysius

I love Mitch King. Instead of listing a position after his name, they should just put "football player". He may be a better fit playing in a 4-3, but I wouldn't mind seeing us bring him in.

Here's a great list of 3-4 DE prospects that Brent "SOBO" Sobleski put together:

Tyson Jackson LSU - Near 300 lber who really turned it on at DE this year in the bayou. Current Projection: Late First

Fili Moala USC - Quick and athletic big man who has some experience as a 34 end in Carroll's system. Current Projection: Solid 2nd rounder

Jarron Gilbert San Jose St. - Perfect example of a guy who is freakishly athletic, very very strong, but needs to develop into the position some. Current Projection: 2nd/early third (depending on just how well he tests)

Roy Miller Texas - Been harping on Miller quite a bit, but he's very good at eating up blocks, using his hands to get off of them, working his way laterally down the line, and making tackles. Great lunchpail guy I would overdraft to play the position. Current Projection: 3rd/4th rounder (but likely to go lower)

Chris Baker Hampton - The Pirates used to be a 34 team, and believe they still are. Baker has been flying up boards with very good physical numbers. He'll have to measure in at a solid 6'2' though. Current Projection: Early 5th

Dorell Scott Clemson - Might be a little heavier than what you like at the position at a listed 310 (probably slightly bigger) but he does a very nice job eating up blocks and splitting doubles. Pretty athletic and could take some reps at nose as well. Current Projection: Solid 5th

Alex Magee Purdue - Good example of a guy starting at both DT and DE while in college and he's 295 lbs. Not the greatest against the run, but certainly a solid interior pass rusher. Current Projection: Solid 5th

Mitch King Iowa - Not big enough to be a true DT, and not athletic enough to be a 43 pass rushing end. Problem is, he's still small for a 34 DE as well. But boy does he know how to play the game. Put 10 lbs. on him and then you're cooking. Current Projection: Late 6th/early 7th

Vance Walker Georgia Tech - Little bit on the short side at 6'2' even, but he can eat up blocks. Really doesn't do much more than that. Current Projection: 7th rounder

Ra'Shon Harris Oregon - Has the prototype size you're looking for at 6'5' 300 lbs with long arms. but he just doesn't move that well Current Projection: 7th rounder/undrafted

John Navarre Maryland - Has plenty of 34 experience and was very good at the position. Blue collar type that won't stick out in any certain area but is a very nice fit in the systme. Current Projection: Late 7th/undrafted

Pannel Egboh Stanford - Big lanky kid who won't be a 43 end. Has the frame to really develop into a 34 end in a few years. Current Projection: Undrafted

John Gill Northwestern - Another smart and blue collar type who would be a good fit in the system. Current Projection: Undrafted

Will Johnson Michigan - Tall hardworking kid who played both DT and DE in college. Current Projection: Undrafted

Pat Kuntz Notre Dame - Played some 34 end in college, hustle player. Will need to add a little bulk. Current Projection: Undrafted

Rulon Davis Cal - Watched a little bit of Davis just recently and liked what I saw. Played in a 34 in college. Is decently athletic, and has nice long arms. Current Projection: Undrafted

In the write up I saw...they said Mitch King could lose 10 lbs and be a LB....but on about 10 lbs and be a DE...or stay the way he is now and be a situational pass rusher. I like that kind of versatility.

With his speed and tenacity...I would love to see him put on about 10 lbs and take over at RDE for us.

Guest Aloysius

I think his best fit is to gain 10-15 pounds and play under tackle in a 4-3. He'd be the same size as Jonathan Babineaux, who plays 4-3 UT for the Falcons.

The LB projection thing can be a bit tricky. He came to Iowa as a 230 pound linebacker, so he has some experience at the position. But what does it say that the coaching staff moved him to DT?

There was some similar LB talk about Rutgers DT Eric Foster last year, and he ended up playing UT for the Colts.

Should be interesting to see how he fares at the Combine. If he runs a 4.75 40 at 275 pounds, his stock could rise a little bit.

Alex Magee (3rd round) 6'3" 295 (quick feet)

Evander Hood (2nd round) 6'3" 298

Jarron Gilbert (2-3) 6'5" 287

Ricky-Jean Francois (3-4) 6'3" 290 (fast for a big guy)

Mitch King (3) 6'2" 275 (4.75 40, nonstop motor)

I think we need to be focusing on the DE spots to allow our LB's the freedom to move without having OL in their face. If we can put a couple of bookends around Rogers/Rubin...we will likely see a huge improvement in the play of ALL our LB's..but Wimbley and Hall in particular.

Isn't that what we did last year and they finally realized that LBs make the 3-4, not DL. Our DL is good enough our LBs suck and it isn't because the other teams OL is in their face. Slow LBs who can't get off blocks or over run plays aren't going to be helped by more DL.

Isn't that what we did last year and they finally realized that LBs make the 3-4, not DL. Our DL is good enough our LBs suck and it isn't because the other teams OL is in their face. Slow LBs who can't get off blocks or over run plays aren't going to be helped by more DL.

What DL did we have last year?

C.Willams was hurt and playing a new position

R.Smith was on the IR

S.Smith is a NT playing DT

Thomas is a journeyman at best

Rubin was a rookie backup

Our DL was a HUGE mess. So many holes not even Rogers could plug it.

you can never have to much depth on either line, at any position, really, so it's a good idea to look at low-round guys as either developmental or rotational players to help your team stay complete in every phase of the game. yes, LBs drive the 3-4, but if there's no d-line to keep the opposing team's o-line off our LBs, then the defense will still suck. it's the same problem that ray lewis had for a couple ineffective years in baltimore before they got haloti ngata.

Guest Aloysius

Pitt's defense really struggled last year ('07) after DE Aaron Smith went on IR. For the season, their defense gave up 89.9 yards per game. But when Smith was out, they gave up 158.5.

Not having scrubs like Shaun Smith and Santonio Thomas playing DE should really help our run defense next year. Hopefully, Robaire comes back strong, but we need to sign or draft a guy who can start if he doesn't.

Pitt's defense really struggled last year ('07) after DE Aaron Smith went on IR. For the season, their defense gave up 89.9 yards per game. But when Smith was out, they gave up 158.5.

Not having scrubs like Shaun Smith and Santonio Thomas playing DE should really help our run defense next year. Hopefully, Robaire comes back strong, but we need to sign or draft a guy who can start if he doesn't.

VERY good points Aloy!

- Tom F.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius
Will Johnson Michigan - Tall hardworking kid who played both DT and DE in college. Current Projection: Undrafted

Sounds like this guy has the strength to play 3-4 DE:

William Johnson measured 6042/281-pounds to start the day. He ran sub 5.10 seconds in the forty, 7.43-seconds in the three cone, 4.55 seconds in the shuttle. His vertical jump measured 27.5 inches. Sources who watched Johnson complete the bench press told us he did 35 reps without stopping, then did the final twelve with small breaks at completion. The room went crazy after he completed the 47 reps.

Johnson reportedly looked a little tight-hipped during his workout, but he may be a guy to consider on Day Two of the draft.

Sounds like this guy has the strength to play 3-4 DE:

Johnson reportedly looked a little tight-hipped during his workout, but he may be a guy to consider on Day Two of the draft.

I like it. We need to concentrate on getting more agile and quick on the DE's or our OLB's are still going to get mauled this year.

We definately need to get more agile on both ends but at the same time not sacrifice size and strenth to remain versitle..

I like moala,clemson,miller,gilbert and jackson any one of these guys would easily replace robaire smith immediately..im not convinced williams cant be a great DE but he may soon get a restructure/release offer williams is tuff as nails and mangini has to like that...

What DL did we have last year?

C.Willams was hurt and playing a new position

R.Smith was on the IR

S.Smith is a NT playing DT

Thomas is a journeyman at best

Rubin was a rookie backup

Our DL was a HUGE mess. So many holes not even Rogers could plug it.

You forgot Leonard and Purcel. Now we also have Mosley.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

A name to add to the list is USC's Kyle Moore, a guy the Browns are bringing in for a visit. He needs to add some bulk to his 270 pound frame, but he's the type of athletic DE WPB's looking for - Moore ran a 4.70 40 at USC's pro day.

Another guy I like is Louisville DT Adrian Grady. I've read some teams are looking at Grady as a developmental 3-4 NT, but I think he moves well enough to play some DE.

The knocks on him seem to be that he's not a great pass rusher (2 sacks in '08), lacks great length (6'1 3/8" tall, 31 1/2" arms), and has had some trouble in the past staying healthy. Still, I think he could help us as a rotational run-stuffing d-lineman. I'd take him in the late rounds or sign him as a priority rookie FA.

The folks at Draftguys TV put together a nice profile of the Louisville product:

Archived