THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts from Farmer pressy

Manzier

Listening to Ray Farmers press conf today was interesting. He rarely says much, but it seems like there were some pretty interesting comments. This is my "between the lines" interpretation:

On Hoyer and his contract: Very limited praise for Hoyer or his play. Was kind of non committal on everything Brian. Said he likes the wins, his attitude and his work ethic. Nothing specific about his play. Said the Browns will wait and see on his contract and then made the point that his home town/nice guy status wont earn him points(wow) & Hmmmm. Then, when asked about next year, just said right now JFF was under contract and Hoyer wasn't. True, but Hmmm. Odd answer again. Not once did he suggest they were planning or trying or wanting to sign Hoyer. He's certainly said otherwise with other players. Alex Mack quickly jumps to mind.

On Josh Gordons Return: Again. Very non commital on when or if we'll see him. Why? Then said for him to play "he has to fit in and earn the playing time". Also talked about how players gotta fit the team and the plan etc. Almost as if he ISNT in our long term plans. Just my take.

On Mike Pettines performance: Very animated and basically said he loves him. Offered high praise, actually calling him "awesome". He wouldn't come out of the box like this unless it was true. Pettine will be here for a while. :)

Mike Pettine on Greg Littles comments: He said "I would be more concerned if it had come from any other player". Oh my. Aahahahaha

On Josh Cribbs: It aint gonna happen. First, when asked by Grossi, he said " Cribbs? I think Ive heard of him". But not in a sarcastic way. More of a no respect way(to me). Then said it wasnt gonna happen. That they would have to cut someone who helps in multiple areas, just to keep a one dimensional player. So, we can shelf that idea

It seems to me Hoyer "may" have soured the front office towards him with the contract negotiations. I think his agent is asking for ridiculous money and there may really have been some talk about a Manziel being out of town stipulation. Just my suspicion, we'll see how it plays out. As much as I like Hoyer, if he was trying to strong arm the Browns in any way...especially as it pertains to his backup situation, than I dunno. It definitely sounds like the honeymoon with Hoyer is over and now they're being serious.

the agent's put these players in awkward situations although the player has to agree with the play.

dangerous game of poker for hoyer to play as both lines are starting to fall from the injury bug. not being able to get us to at least 9 wins will hurt his bargaining power IMO (even though it'd be four wins better than any other QB in the past 6 years).

Why doesn't someone ask the great Farmer why he stubbornly passed on Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham Jr., Kelvin Benjamin and Martavis Bryant. He did draft a quarterback and a corner in the first round without any reservations. How about the future of this team? He could have insured it with a solid receiver just in case of injuries. This GM reeks of arrogance and small mindedness.

I like Farmer's personality, seems like a guy who can get his point across. Whether or not he's a good personnel guy will be known 3-5 years from now.

I agree and am surprised that anybody cant be happy with this guy compared to what we had before. No reason NOT to..

Where were we a year ago? Banner Lombardi?

Lombardi Farmer Lombardi Farmer.

No brainer.

shoulda picked WR at 22 BUT we needed a QB of the future. if we make it to 500. or above this year i'm happy considering all the injuries to key personnel.

there'll be plenty of WRs next year. i think the injuries to DL and OL will have changed farmer's direction for next year, but i guarantee you there'll be a WR or two in his plans.

btw can people stop the bitching about watkins? and when did drafting a WR GUARANTEE the future of any team?

btw can people stop the bitching about watkins? and when did drafting a WR GUARANTEE the future of any team?

I know it stopped guaranteeing future success right around the time the Browns drafted Braylon Edwards #3 overall.

According to Haslam, both Farmer and Pettine report directly to him. So why would he make a comment on Pettine?

Because he was asked? Nothing wrong with talking about a co-worker... as long as it's positive.

To say Farmer was effusive in his praise of Pettine would be an understatement calling him "smart" and "a leader" among other things. And then saying, "I'm all in on Pettine."

I like Farmer's personality, seems like a guy who can get his point across. Whether or not he's a good personnel guy will be known 3-5 years from now.

Agree...

The one thought that occurred to me was "Farmer could be an HC." He has that kind of presence...

Only "odd" bit was the Gordon segment. It was as if Farmer was walking on eggshells there.

To say Farmer was effusive in his praise of Pettine would be an understatement calling him "smart" and "a leader" among other things. And then saying, "I'm all in on Pettine."

That was my take. Farmer usually chooses his words very carefully and can offer praise and support w/o going over the top.

But when given the opportunity, he chose to pile it on for Pettine, while taking a very moderate "wait and see" approach for both Hoyer and Gordon. It was very obvious to me.

My honest take on it, without choosing sides or starting a huge freaking debate, is that Hoyer and Gordon may not be in our plan for next year, >>>>UNLESS<<<<< we go big the second half of this season.

Playoffs = Hoyer/Gordon in 2015

8 - 8 = JFF and another draft pick (for Gordon) in 2015

Listened to the presser, I am not ready to ring the alarm bells on the Gordon comment. I think he was just taking a "wait and see" stance on Gordon primarily because we know Farmer puts a premium on high-character individuals and I suspect he wants to see if Gordon has turned the corner on this or not. It also could've been that he phrased it the way he did to challenge and motivate Gordon when he gets back.

Well if you don't draft a wide receiver how the hell do you get one? My point was if they had planned on Manziel all along then why not get him some weapons. I don't suppose Justin Gilbert is the reason the fans pay to watch games.

Well if you don't draft a wide receiver how the hell do you get one? My point was if they had planned on Manziel all along then why not get him some weapons. I don't suppose Justin Gilbert is the reason the fans pay to watch games.

if the team is getting trounced by getting beat on every throw, do you think the fans will stick around to watch the game?

w/o drafting a WR the browns have gabriel who is ranked #2 in YPC.

what are you just stoopid? will you quit crying when gordon comes back and the browns dominate in the passing game? (god knows we better cuz this OL ain't getting fixed anytime soon which means the running game is finute).

Archived