THE BROWNS BOARD

She comfortable wit it.

DieHardBrownsFan

Generations of people living off of the government. Ex; pillbillies in WV.

The Jacob Young documentary from '91 "the dancing outlaw" (the original documentary on the whites) is equally amazing (probably moreso) w/o the sensationalist bullshit that the jackass crew is known for.

The system is there to help people who really need it - not be a life-time crutch for people who can't be bothered to get themselves a job.

Yes Chris. Intellectually you and I both know that. What I'm saying is that if it is as easy as it is to continue on the dole what's the glamour of getting off? Seriously these people are born and raised knowing no other way of life.

And like so many other moral choices we've seen cast aside in the past few decades as acceptance becomes the rule. I don't think it's wrong that there should be some shame involved. I also believe that those who need help should get it and when they get back on their feet should want to pay it forward. Just like if a friend bails you out of a tough situation. But politicians get rich from telling people (black and white) they've been wronged and that this compensation is the least the government should do.

As I've said before there are people in the third world living under really horrendous conditions who go through their lives happily enough. Human beings can adapt to anything. Poverty in America or England is a lot easier to live with than poverty in Zaire.

WSS

The problem is this attitude is NEVER going away. Because ANY politician or party, for that matter, that stands up and says enough, will never get re-elected.

The D's keep these programs going and the R's whine and complain about them. But the R's know they will never win this fight. If they mess with the free money they will be out of office in the next election.

Yes, it's been a way of life for generations in some communities, but that doesn't make it ok. They tried to introduce a system here (not sure if it succeeded?) whereby if you're on benefits for more than 6 months, the government finds you work to do - not much, maybe like 16 hours per week or something, just doing menial tasks like picking up litter or scrubbing graffiti, things like that. I think it's a great idea, and also means that people who genuinely fall on hard times and then bounce back aren't really affected, but those that want to spend their life on benefits actually give something back as well.

Yes, it's been a way of life for generations in some communities, but that doesn't make it ok. They tried to introduce a system here (not sure if it succeeded?) whereby if you're on benefits for more than 6 months, the government finds you work to do - not much, maybe like 16 hours per week or something, just doing menial tasks like picking up litter or scrubbing graffiti, things like that. I think it's a great idea, and also means that people who genuinely fall on hard times and then bounce back aren't really affected, but those that want to spend their life on benefits actually give something back as well.

They tried to institute it in the U.S. but then the people living on welfare opted to get on disability instead of having to work. Back injuries and mental illness are easily faked.

Yes we've done that here. I don't know how far it goes but it was one of the main topics of a Michael Moore film. One of his case studies, if you call it that, was some woman in Detroit who had to go to work and while she was there her kid swiped her boyfriend's pistol and shot somebody. I think that was the case if not it was very similar. Michael Moore decided to harass Dick Clark. Why? Because the woman was working part time at Dick Clark's American Bandstand grill.

That's the mindset of the left here.

We've fucked up our system pretty badly here. For instance you will lose children's benefits food stamps etc if the baby daddy lives in the house. If you marry baby daddy he will become responsible for the child.

I've always thought that ADC recipients could spend 16 or 20 hours a week at a public daycare center for the children of other ADC recipients.

WSS

So sad. You can't help people who won't help themselves.

Way too much sloth. Sadder still, that these leeches have a vote,

to vote for anybody who will condone their entitlement ways.

Folks on the dole, who don't own property, voting for ...

raising property taxes.

nobody wants to be gouged or blackmailed by the teachers union.

WSS

That is a big problem. If test scores and grades are low, why should more money be given to the same broken system/bad teachers? I can only see passing levies if the facilities are in poor enough condition that it would effect the teaching conditions (ex: my sixth grade health class had a hole in the wall the size of a softball and they filled it with newspaper).

A few years back after several failed attempts at yet another Levi, they cancelled bus service for anyone living within 5 miles 'due to budgetary constraints'. Traffic was backed up for a mile or more with people dropping off their kids. The next levi passed. I suspect the same thing may happen again.

Yes we've done that here. I don't know how far it goes but it was one of the main topics of a Michael Moore film. One of his case studies, if you call it that, was some woman in Detroit who had to go to work and while she was there her kid swiped her boyfriend's pistol and shot somebody. I think that was the case if not it was very similar. Michael Moore decided to harass Dick Clark. Why? Because the woman was working part time at Dick Clark's American Bandstand grill.

That's the mindset of the left here.

We've fucked up our system pretty badly here. For instance you will lose children's benefits food stamps etc if the baby daddy lives in the house. If you marry baby daddy he will become responsible for the child.

I've always thought that ADC recipients could spend 16 or 20 hours a week at a public daycare center for the children of other ADC recipients.

WSS

A good trigger lock could put a stop to that.

Thats why a lot of school levies fail. Here in NR, the last 4 school levies have failed. People who have no kids or kids are grown don't want there property taxes raised.

The school levy in Strongsville failed multiple times. The school then cut bussing, which meant parents had to take time to drive their kids in to school every day. The next levy passed. We've also had to cut some classes from due to failed levies. And this is a mostly middle to upper middle class town. You think people could manage the few extra bucks.

You think people could manage the few extra bucks.

What an arrogant shit bag level of thinking from a single millennial.

with Housing, Mortgage, Insurance, Groceries, Car Payments, Gas, Clothing, Kids, College, etc. people don't have a "few extra bucks" to go to some shitty school that won't make a difference at all. I'm glad these levies fail and hope they do.

Want to save money? Cut the administration jargon, study halls, elective bullshit, lunches (make it open campus or a la cart),

i'll never vote for a school levy again. Its unconstitutional to begin with.

When is enough enough? Westlake tried that bullshit about cutting buses also.

But they can afford to pay teachers 90,000 plus??

I'll bite the bullet and send my kids to a private school where the focus is education not babysitting.

There is definitely waste in the system, like most systems, but cutting funding leaves the students as victims. We were close to cutting a lot of AP classes, that would have screwed me. We're talking like 25 extra bucks a month.

I had a great public school experience. My teachers were fantastic and it set me up for success at Michigan. I'll vote for the school levy if the case is there to be made. Better educated students benefits everyone.

But yes, there are a lot of other issues that also need to be addressed within the system. I was lucky in my experience, for sure. I'd like everyone to have access to the same type of education.

Archived