THE BROWNS BOARD

who do you think the worst pick would be at #5

Solon16

I don't think it's necessary to draft all our missing pieces this year. I think we should focus more on getting 2 impact starters on defense and a RB.

Given that..

Who is the best player at their position for:

Safety

OLB

RB

Michael Jenkins

Aaron Curry

Beany Wells / K. Moreno

If we do not trade down from 5, who is a better player at their position?

To me the worst pick the Browns could have at #5 is Everette Brown. i think Curry,Orakpo, even Maybin will the better. I'll even risk Beanie wells over EB.... Who is yours????

I was just looking at draftee comparisons on OBR and they compare Brown to a high motor Dwight Freeney with more explosion. They compare Maybin to a Cam Wimbley type of tweener.

I think once the combine is over we will have a better grip on Brown (weight and height) and his speed. His play speaks for itself.

Actually I think the worst pick at #5 would be Wells. Not about his ability or potential but there are a lot of power backs available late 2nd and early 3rd. Best pick looks like Curry or a trade down.

I was just looking at draftee comparisons on OBR and they compare Brown to a high motor Dwight Freeney with more explosion. They compare Maybin to a Cam Wimbley type of tweener.

I think once the combine is over we will have a better grip on Brown (weight and height) and his speed. His play speaks for itself.

Actually I think the worst pick at #5 would be Wells. Not about his ability or potential but there are a lot of power backs available late 2nd and early 3rd. Best pick looks like Curry or a trade down.

OK ... who to you is the WORST pick the Browns can make>????

I don't think it's necessary to draft all our missing pieces this year. I think we should focus more on getting 2 impact starters on defense and a RB.

Given that..

Who is the best player at their position for:

Safety

OLB

RB

Michael Jenkins

Aaron Curry

Beany Wells / K. Moreno

If we do not trade down from 5, who is a better player at their position?

ADAM...the WORST pick?

I'm all about the trade down, that would stockpile picks for us and we could probably still get our stud LB.

The only way I see that happening is if crabtree is still on the board when we pick, then we have the dilema of actually picking him.

It's going to a fun draft no matter what, not like last year when we all had to wait till day 2....

OK...Who would be your Worst pick?

So Beanie would the the worst pick at 5 for you?

As of right now. I'd say so. I find myself going back and forth as to what a "reach" would really be. I favor Moreno over Wells anyway and feel that while we desperately need another RB they can be found in round 2-3. So that is kind of what I'm basing this on.

For me it would be Beanie.

The guy could be a stud RB, but at number 5 I want a sure thing, and with his injury history, there is no sure thing with him.

He missed 3 games his entire college career, all this season. Why does everyone think he has an injury history?

Anyway,

To me Wells @ 5 is a reach

Curry @ 5 is a value

Jenkins @ 5 is a value

Considering the Browns biggest needs, wells is the worst pick i think.

there are four guys who would be terrible for us at five who will likely be there when we pick: aaron maybin, chris wells, michael oher and mark sanchez.

maybin's going to flop because he came out too early and doesn't have a position to play. he's got the size of an LB but has only played DE. he needs to bulk up to be an OLB but needs at least two years of weight training. meanwhile, he'll get killed by NFL tackles while rushing the passer and any lineman and likely some TEs will maul him in the run game.

wells plays football for money, not because he loves it, and guys like that don't last or have particularly productive careers. he has the ability, but he lacks drive, and that's what really separates average players from great ones in the NFL. when so many people have similar physical abilities, it's intangibles that set great players apart, and wells has none.

oher's not good enough to play either tackle spot in the NFL and will be an average guard at best. it's a mystery to me why this guy is mentioned as a top 10 pick, or even a first round guy. he's gotten by on pure physical ability alone and hasn't particularly shown himself a willing (or even capable) learner. he's a big, dumb guy who's somehow agile and fast for his size. he's got all the makings of a complete bust because he'll never learn the mental side of the game, which, again, is far more important in the NFL because everyone's huge and strong.

last, sanchez is bad for us, not that we'd ever pick him, but this is really just an exercise in throwing shit against the proverbial wall, because we already have an unknown at QB and adding an unseasoned guy who'll take two years to develop would, yet again, cripple our ability to build towards the future.

of the four, sanchez would be the worst, but of the three we'd actually pick, maybin would hurt the most. he'd be taking playing time away from guys who know the scheme better, like wimbley, or guys who've shown promise, like alex hall, so he could eventually fall on his face and be a null player. then again, oher would get quinn killed, so it's possible he'd be even worse.

of the non-curry/crabtree crowd of guys we should draft, brown could pan out (even though i think he won't), as could orakpo (who i actually like). jenkins wouldn't be a terrible pick. of the OTs, i like andre smith the most, and he's also better suited to RT, which would give us a completely dominant OL. knowshon moreno will be a quality back. even getting raji couldn't be bad even though NT isn't a particular area of need for us.

this coaching staff, with its defensive pedigree, is far more likely to focus on D than O in the first couple rounds because we were so bad there. the only way i see us taking an offensive player is if we go after one of the linemen, but even that's a stretch.

Thank you...your pick Sanchez...thank you for understanding the thread! I think EB will bust..... Although I don't want anything to do with Wells at #5...It is intriguing to me how he will pan out in the NFL...want to see his 40 time...cause he has everything else. feet, vision, tackle breaking and a mean ass stiff arm....not quite break away speed....I wish you could have a measurement on a guys heart...To me hugely important intangible. I should clarify....I'd rather bust on Wells than Everette Brown...think brown is a bigger risk! orakpo scares me some but I've seen enough of him to think he'd be somewhat safe

He missed 3 games his entire college career, all this season. Why does everyone think he has an injury history?

Anyway,

To me Wells @ 5 is a reach

Curry @ 5 is a value

Jenkins @ 5 is a value

Considering the Browns biggest needs, wells is the worst pick i think.

And the games he did miss he would of played if tressel let him. That tells you about his toughness, which I think is what people should look at instead of the games he did miss. In the NFL everybody plays hurt, except stallworth. But wells would of played had it been a NFL game, were they encourage you to play hurt.

I agree brown would be the worst pick. I like B.J. Raji myself then linebacker in the second

.wells plays football for money, not because he loves it, and guys like that don't last or have particularly productive careers. he has the ability, but he lacks drive, and that's what really separates average players from great ones in the NFL. when so many people have similar physical abilities, it's intangibles that set great players apart, and wells has none.

I agree completely. I talked about this on an OSU board and about got ran out of town. I will never understand how these OSU fans didn't see this. I think the guy has very little heart. Wonderful talent and a blessed body. But there is just something missing there.

If he played for money he would of entered the draft last year, but he came back because he wanted to win a national championship.

What makes you think he doesnt have heart? Dont understand that one

with his physical skillset, wells should have been a dominant, unstoppable back in college, especially in a weak conference like the big 10. i think he doesn't have heart because his potential still far exceeds his production, which means he isn't getting the most out of what he's been given. it also doesn't help that OSU played a weak, weak schedule outside of USC so we don't have a great body of work to judge him on.

also, if he thought he was going to be in any position to win a national championship with OSU this past year, dude is mad delusional.

with his physical skillset, wells should have been a dominant, unstoppable back in college, especially in a weak conference like the big 10. i think he doesn't have heart because his potential still far exceeds his production, which means he isn't getting the most out of what he's been given. it also doesn't help that OSU played a weak, weak schedule outside of USC so we don't have a great body of work to judge him on.

also, if he thought he was going to be in any position to win a national championship with OSU this past year, dude is mad delusional.

he averaged 5.8 yards a carry for his career, what else could you ask for

i don't really know. i was thinking about the argument and knew it was flimsy. there's really not a great reason that i say he doesn't have heart, so you're pretty much right that i'm more or less looking for a reason not to like him because there's something about him that leaves me thinking he could do more.

you win. he'll be a great pro.

edit: his small injuries are a concern. he gets a lot of them, and whether it's the coaches' decision to have him play or not, it could show that he's lacking some drive/desire.

i don't really know. i was thinking about the argument and knew it was flimsy. there's really not a great reason that i say he doesn't have heart, so you're pretty much right that i'm more or less looking for a reason not to like him because there's something about him that leaves me thinking he could do more.

you win. he'll be a great pro.

edit: his small injuries are a concern. he gets a lot of them, and whether it's the coaches' decision to have him play or not, it could show that he's lacking some drive/desire.

agree to disagree

If he played for money he would of entered the draft last year, but he came back because he wanted to win a national championship.

What makes you think he doesnt have heart? Dont understand that one

Jew and myself aren't the only ones...I was listening to Buckeye roundtable last year and Chris Speilman went absolutely postal on the show over Beanie's constant running off the field because his finger hurt or something else minor was bothering him. Speilman said...and this is almost verbatim..."Beanie needs to learn that you don't run off the field all the time becasue you hurt your finger...This is a game for big boys and playing hurt is part of that".

Speilman was unhappy! That's what I love about Speilman on these shows. He is not PC!

Jew and myself aren't the only ones...I was listening to Buckeye roundtable last year and Chris Speilman went absolutely postal on the show over Beanie's constant running off the field because his finger hurt or something else minor was bothering him. Speilman said...and this is almost verbatim..."Beanie needs to learn that you don't run off the field all the time becasue you hurt your finger...This is a game for big boys and playing hurt is part of that".

Speilman was unhappy! That's what I love about Speilman on these shows. He is not PC!

you could be right, they said the same thing about adrian peterson last year to. will just have to wait and see. Spielman also said he was the greatest back to ever play at Ohio State, thats really saying something

you could be right, they said the same thing about adrian peterson last year to. will just have to wait and see. Spielman also said he was the greatest back to ever play at Ohio State, thats really saying something

No. They didn't. Peterson came off of the field for LEGIT injuries. Beanie is in and out constantly.

What's it say about a guy when he's sitting on the sidelines during the bowl game. If he had heart he would be with the coaches trying to get them to put him in.

At #5, Beanie would be a bad pick for us. Any RB at #5 would be a bad pick for us, because we don't have the rest of the pieces. RB comes last when the other pieces are in place, because RB can ramp up quicker, but also has a shorter career.

If you watched the USC game you would no he was begging the coach to put him in, and in the bowl game he had a concussion.

A concussion isnt a legit injury? And I agree we shouldnt take him with the 5th pick, never said we should but to question his toughness when no one know's the extent of the injuries he had is unfair. The guy only missed 3 games in three years, thats unheard of for most rb's.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, he deserves credit for speaking his mind. During the USC-Cal game, he ripped into Maualuga for just shoulder checking guys instead of wrapping them up; said something along the lines of, "That's not something a great linebacker should be doing."

If you watched the USC game you would no he was begging the coach to put him in, and in the bowl game he had a concussion.

A concussion isnt a legit injury? And I agree we shouldnt take him with the 5th pick, never said we should but to question his toughness when no one know's the extent of the injuries he had is unfair. The guy only missed 3 games in three years, thats unheard of for most rb's.

Bottom line is some can question all they want but enough GMs think he's the real deal and he will be a 1st round pick in the NFL draft and maybe ended the year as one of the best backs in the country. Tressell wouldn't have played the guy if he didn't have heart..............................WTF, some of this shit is unbelievable.

Archived