THE BROWNS BOARD

Will Daven Holly ever play on the field as a Brown again?

sisky fringo

I haven't seen reports since '08 so based on what we know from last seasen:  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Daven Holly play on the field as a Brown in '09?

• YES!!
    • no
    • who?

the dude had one year of play and got torched nonstop. he managed 5 picks due largely to the sheer volume of passes being directed his way all season long--he's still a pro and managed to catch a few inaccurate ones--but for the most part his play is well below average.

his main saving grace was having ralph brown as a teammate to help shift some of the focus off his own personal suck. now he's damaged goods, personally i say stick a fork in him.

he couldn't even maintain professionalism on a phone call w/ shaun smith on Andre Knott's Red Zone show.

anyone willing to put stock in him for this season?

we dont know how they operate yet..
to an extent we do:

he couldn't even maintain professionalism on a phone call w/ shaun smith on Andre Knott's Red Zone show

even if we don't know mankok's answer it's ok to have an opinion.

it's not that much of a mystery to me Gips, a 100% healthy pre-injury Daven is still gone IMO, due to ability.

I usually don't get on Browns players much but ralph and daven are definitely the exception.

He's still head and shoulders above Terry Cousins.

i hear ya but side by side.....who really knows?

experience w/out height and quickness or adequate cover ability w/out experience--it's a toss up.

if he can return from the injury and play as well as before.....i'll admit he has some upside, being young etc.

He's still head and shoulders above Terry Cousins.

I was thinking the same thing, i recall watching other teams QB's stairing right at him when he was on the field knowing it was the safest pass play and normaly winding up in a first down. Then they would hurry up to keep him on the field.

He Sucks and Holly only sucks half as bad. for whatever thats worth.

I think he's much quicker than Cousins, and has way better tackling ability, he has a better push at the line to jam the bigger WR even though he's not as big.

Yes, his game isn't without his faults, but I think with our young DB's it would be wise to keep him another year and then evaluate him at the end of this season.

Agreed.

He's young and may have a lot left in him if the injury is healed up.

the dude had one year of play and got torched nonstop.

REALLY Sisky? I actually LOVED his skills. Great ability to stay on the hip, used the sidelines masterfully and when he DID get beat - I saw him swatting away the ball at the last second. I'm not gonna say I saw Pro Bowl level; BUT considering our anemic pass rush and inability to get off the field - he was our best corner in 2007.

I think he'd make an ideal 3rd corner for us right now. Hear me out. Anthony Henry is a TERRIBLE starting corner but as our 3rd corner when we had Jamir Miller's pass rush - he gave us 10 INTs right? Pass rush helps more than you can imagine. In fact, in 2001 - we led the entire conference in INTs with an average bunch in the secondary. I'll put Holly's skills up against anyone from that secondary we had in 2001.

- Tom F.

I see Holly Playing Nickel.... I hate repeating myself, but Im sick of all the B-mac hate once again.... I see people saying he aint a starter on other threads and Im beginning to think theyre Retarded... If you watch a game you will see that he has way more talent than Wright...

B-mac seems like a man coverage corner, and Wright is a zone corner... seing as how B-mac plays physical and has great recovery speed, whereas wright gives every reciever a 10 yard cushion

Anyway.... Any CB at this point will be better than Cousin... what a bad signing that was

I see Holly Playing Nickel.... I hate repeating myself, but Im sick of all the B-mac hate once again.... I see people saying he aint a starter on other threads and Im beginning to think theyre Retarded... If you watch a game you will see that he has way more talent than Wright...

B-mac seems like a man coverage corner, and Wright is a zone corner... seing as how B-mac plays physical and has great recovery speed, whereas wright gives every reciever a 10 yard cushion

Anyway.... Any CB at this point will be better than Cousin... what a bad signing that was

I loved B-mac's aggression but it's a double edged sword.

It puts him in a position to both make a big play and to have a big play made on him, you know, the old sink or swim thing.

Honestly I'd think B-mac's skills would make him shine in a #3 spot where he was more free to hawk than as a #2 to Wright.

But....

For right now I'd take Wright, McDonald and Holly as we build up the rest of the D's more glaring weaknesses.

Face it, with as bad as our pass rush was last season it wouldn't matter WHO was out there.

Oh, let's not forget the Giants won a Superbowl with 2 rookie corners because the opposing qb wasn't given enough time to let his recievers get open. Behold the power of pass rush.

I loved B-mac's aggression but it's a double edged sword.

It puts him in a position to both make a big play and to have a big play made on him, you know, the old sink or swim thing.

Honestly I'd think B-mac's skills would make him shine in a #3 spot where he was more free to hawk than as a #2 to Wright.

But....

For right now I'd take Wright, McDonald and Holly as we build up the rest of the D's more glaring weaknesses.

Face it, with as bad as our pass rush was last season it wouldn't matter WHO was out there.

Oh, let's not forget the Giants won a Superbowl with 2 rookie corners because the opposing qb wasn't given enough time to let his recievers get open. Behold the power of pass rush.

I can't help but feel the same. Last season the DB's , all things considered from a dreadful / non existant pass rush and a bunch of sissy LBs who couldn't tackle a pregnant grandmother, had some pretty decent performances. I rate BMac and Wright can be outstanding on his day. Holly will be keen to impress upon the team he is a starter and I think that the area we all dreaded at the beginning of last season is not the main focus for despair this off season. I'd like to see some instinctive, mobile, athletic blood hungry LBs behind our DL. So yeah, I'd take Holly back.

I can't help but feel the same. Last season the DB's , all things considered from a dreadful / non existant pass rush and a bunch of sissy LBs who couldn't tackle a pregnant grandmother, had some pretty decent performances. I rate BMac and Wright can be outstanding on his day. Holly will be keen to impress upon the team he is a starter and I think that the area we all dreaded at the beginning of last season is not the main focus for despair this off season. I'd like to see some instinctive, mobile, athletic blood hungry LBs behind our DL. So yeah, I'd take Holly back.

McDonald was also the victim of lack of support from our safties. There were more then a few times that the team was playing a cover two and McDonald didn't get any help over the top. so, I think him and Wright both have potential to be very good starters. Holly is good covering the slot receiver but struggles in press coverage. He's probably better playing zone. I don't thin he has the upside of McDonald or Wright but I'd resign him for the right price. I certainly wouldn't overpay for him.

• 3 weeks later...
Meanwhile, former Cleveland Browns cornerback Daven Holly began his visit with the Bucs Tuesday. Holly, 26, played in 29 games for the Browns in 2006-07, starting 18. But he suffered a season-ending knee injury last May during OTA's while competing for a jump ball with receiver Braylon Edwards.

The 5-foot-10, 185-pound Holly had five interceptions in 2006, returning one for a touchdown.

Holly was a seventh-round pick by the San Francisco 49ers in 2005 out of Cincinnati. He played three games for the Chicago Bears as a rookie.

via here.

We need to resign him IMO. If not, our depth is destroyed.

I'm just wondering how losing a 26 year old with promise in order to make room for a 31 year old retread qualifies as "rebuilding?"

It seems as if we are taking 9 steps back to move 1 step forward.

The more I read...the more frustrated I get and the more I hate this focking regime...pitiful...

I'm just wondering how losing a 26 year old with promise in order to make room for a 31 year old retread qualifies as "rebuilding?"

It seems as if we are taking 9 steps back to move 1 step forward.

After making that statement can you tell us if Holly has fully rcovered from his knee injury?

It's easy to make such statements and not know the facts. With all the comments in this thread, nobody here has a clue what Holly's health status is.

Maybe you need to qualify your response and say if Holly is healthy and back to the form he was in 2007 then losing a 26 year old in order to make room for a 31 year old retread.................................

So, let's give the new organization a break and see if they have a plan.

Well if he passes is physical with the bucs then we know.

I thought Mangini and co' aren't meeting with the team until the end of this month? If so how do they know about Holly's knee? it's not like they have practice to watch or anything.

Mangini has met with every player that is working out in Berea. He can't force the other players to come in. I'm just saying, people are dissing Mangini and they don't know if Holly is healthy or not. Also, you got to realize that some players would rather move on. It takes two to sign a contract. Maybe he just wants to play in a city he is from or for a coach he knows.

My point is you can't blame this staff without knowing the facts. There may be guys they like who aren't interested in the Browns and would like to move on. Maybe Holly doesn't think he can beat out McDonald and wants to look elsewhere.

I don't know, do you?

Archived