THE BROWNS BOARD

This article sums up my biggest frustration with the Browns!

BrownsKidd

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/12/22/7433427/gm-ray-farmer-responsible-for-whiffing-on-high-draft-picks

How many drafts have we missed on some incredible players in this league? The number is stockpiling and it's rather sickening.

Don't blame Mike Pettine: the GM Procures the players!
In Ray Farmer's first draft which he had several months to prepare for, and is his primary responsibility for the year and possessing both the 4th and 26th picks in the first round, Farmer proceeded to pass up on the likes of Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Kelvin Benjamin and Brandon Cooks, all the while knowing that Josh Gordon would most likely miss the bulk of if not all of the season. So, instead: he trades out of the 4th pick in exchange for Buffalo's 9th pick and their first round pick in 2015. Then trades up from 9th to 8th to grab the horribly disappointing Justin Gilbert. Then the famous "let's wreck this league"'move from 26 to 22 to pick Manziel when Teddy Twatwater, Derek Carr and Jimmy Garappallo were still all on the board, not to mention the most of those stud wide receivers I mentioned earlier. Not all of his picks were disappointing. Joel Bitonio; for example but you can't whiff on 2 first round draft picks and not draft at least one wide receiver to try to help which ever QB WOULD BE UNDER CENTER FOR THE YEAR! Then; if that wasn't incompetence enough, he failed to trade for offensive line help once Alex Mack went down. Couple that with ignoring the glaring needs on the special team punt return unit and you watched a 7-4 team headed for the playoffs fall to 7-9( after next week game )and we are right back to were we were at the end of last year. JIMMY HASLAM will likely give him one more bite at Apple to see if Manziel and Gilbert can turn it around but if we lose more games next year than we did this year, Farmer should and will be fired.

He drafted the top CB when it was one of the top positions of need...

He took a risk on a "wild card" QB who could turn out to be a great player, when we had our potential safety valve in Hoyer...

Sure, the results THIS year turned out terrible from our 1st round picks, but look at the rest of the moves he's made ... Bitonio, Kirksey, West, Desir, Williams, Crowell, Gabriel; Plus, signing Dansby, Whitner, and re-signing Mack...

I am more than happy with that. I don't like missing on top tier talent in the draft, but when a guy can add contributors later in the draft and in FA it is MUCH more important...

Let's see what happens with 2 more first round picks this year... shall we...

Did you write this article? Why the need to slander Teddy who has played great as a rookie? Why the need to yell with caps lock? This reads like a butthurt fan post, not an article.

It's not capitals genius. It's a couple points larger font.

Sorry if the attacks on Bilgewater hurt your butt.

WSS

I read the article on Dawgs by nature. This was something that most of us complained about on draft day and the ensuing weeks. I also read where Justin Gilbert hardly played even though Haden was injured. Dansby says that Gilbert feels entitled and isn't transitioning yet into the NFL. It's a sad commentary when Pettine tells the media that Gilbert and West had a bad week of practice. What does that mean? As for Manziel, who knows? But the Browns do have two picks in the first round and could get DT and wide receiver.

As for Bridgewater and Carr, they're here to stay. Something we can't say about all three of our quarterbacks.

But make no mistake! Pettine was a good hire. He should have had more input in the last draft. This coming draft will be the test.

Archived