THE BROWNS BOARD

Behind the 8 Ball

OldBrownsFan

There are no good answers that I see. We would have to give up way too much to get Mariota in the draft and Manziel has shown so far he has neither the ability or the maturity to be an NFL quarterback. Without looking back on our prior draft picks (it is spilled milk now) what are the best options to make the most of next season? I would like to try and get Hoyer back with some improvements on the offensive line with our draft picks.

The poor play of Hoyer was about the time our running game disappeared and all this happened after Mack went out. We started out the season with a decent running game. I thought Crowell did well when there there was any kind of opening and he would hit the hole and make good yardage but it seemed after Mack got injured the O line was not opening the holes to run. I like Mariota and would love to see him here but we need to shore up too many areas to give up the farm to get him. I believe Pettine and Farmer will do better in the draft as long as we keep the homeless guy away. They have some tough decisions to make this year.

If Hoyer could get the ball within 5 yards of the receiver when he throws downfield I would agree with you.

That's his major weakness- he's not so much inaccurate as he is erratic. The long TDs to Cameron were perfectly thrown. Other times he's had guys wide open deep, and couldn't get the ball in the same area code. Brian just isn't consistent enough to be a starting qb in the NFL. I could see the Browns offering him a two year contract at top backup money.

If Hoyer does not come back are we banking on Manziel? A third string quarterback? A veteran quarterback? Hoyer's quarterback rating and stats went way down the last half of the season and I have to believe that will make a difference with other teams wanting him.

If Hoyer opts out (my guess is I don't think he will) the Browns will have to bring in someone who is a viable starter & please not Cutler. I don't trust Manziel to develop enough in the off season to be that guy.

If Connor Shaw comes in and plays well against the Ravens is it a decent possibility these same three qb's could be back again with the Browns? I'm thinking this could be a good thing. You will have two quarterbacks well familiar with Shanahan and his offense and Manziel coming back with a lot to prove and even without giving his best effort this year he had to have learned some valuable things in all those practices, team meetings and watching game films. We wouldn't get anything out of trading Manziel so might as well let him try and prove himself. I am starting to get a clue that there is whole lot to returning veteran players who have a natural advantage of knowing the team's system over those who are new and having to learn a new system.

Does anyone think that Eddie Goldman DT from Florida State would be their first pick? Also Jaelen Strong WR, Arizona St. I have my iPhone app tracker all ready. I sure can't see them taking a quarterback when they have so many other needs. They can end up with a veteran free agent, Shaw, Manziel, for the start.

The poor play of Hoyer was about the time our running game disappeared and all this happened after Mack went out. We started out the season with a decent running game.

Whatever happened with Tate? I could find nothing about how he got into the situation which made cutting him a viable option. He should've fit right in with Shanny's system (if it was anything like he - his dad - or Kubiak ran in Houston).

If Hoyer could get the ball within 5 yards of the receiver when he throws downfield I would agree with you.

I think the receivers were so used to underthrown balls that when strong armed Manziel came in he overthrew them because they quit on their routes.

If Manziel would retire in the off season I would be happy but I don't think that is going to happen. I have said all along Hoyer is our best shot for next year due to our bust at drafting Manziel. I don't think we would get anything out of a trade for Manziel. What do we do with him? I shudder to think of the Browns going into next season without Hoyer and banking on either Manziel, their third string quarterback or some veteran qb. I like Pettine and Farmer and believe Haslam was the one who pulled the trigger on Manziel. I posted before Manziel is a good salesman and promoter of himself and unfortunately the Browns were the team who bought into his sales pitch. If we had made the right draft pick for qb we would not be behind the 8 ball. This team does a $100,000 study to tell them the qb to take is Bridgewater and then they don't follow the recommendation of their own study. I don't care if Bridgewater said he didn't want to play for the Browns. This is the NFL not college and you don't get to pick your NFL team you get drafted.

At first I thought maybe Haslam wanted Manziel to bring fans to the stadium with his "star" drawing power but I don't think that is the case. The Browns have the most loyal fan base and following of any NFL team in the country and they sell plenty of tickets without having to resort to getting a hyped up player like Manziel to bring in the fans. So if Haslam brought in Manziel to try and bring winning football to Cleveland I just hope he learned a lesson and will let Pettine and Farmer handle the draft picks in the future. I don't want former owner Randy Lerner back for sure. I just believe with Hoyer back next year and the Browns may (MAY) have found a real diamond with Shaw we can keep building into next year.

I could see the Browns offering him a two year contract at top backup money.

If Hoyer signs, he's the 2015 starter. Not as a condition of signing, he'll just win the job again.

Given his deep ball limitation other FA QBs will be considered. In the end it will be some weighted combo of the candidates' (Arms+Heads)/$$$ that will determine who we sign.

I think the receivers were so used to underthrown balls that when strong armed Manziel came in he overthrew them because they quit on their routes.

All the overthrows I remember were not on vertical routes, but rather crosses and such. So I guess you meant to say that our receivers got shorter to show solidarity with JM.

I like Pettine and Farmer and believe Haslam was the one who pulled the trigger on Manziel.

This is the NFL not college and you don't get to pick your NFL team you get drafted.

I don't think Farmer picked anyone he did not want to pick. He may have paid a little higher price than he wanted to pay in the counter offer that landed us the #22, but once that trade was made, with Haslam's "blessing" he willingly made JM the pick.

As for the "don't get to pick your team" bit... two names... John Elway and Eli Manning. Not much of a stretch to also add a third, Bernie Kosar.

Bernie Kosar and John Elway. I try and stay positive on this site but I for one am sickened how shabbily the Browns organization have treated Bernie. His comments against the Rams were not so bad that a simple apology would have been in order. I loved hearing Bernie do the color on the pre season with the Browns. I was always amazed at his football knowledge in all areas of the game not just offense. When I see Elway in the front office with the Broncos and this organization pulling the plug on Bernie I will just say I hate to see it.

As for the "don't get to pick your team" bit... two names... John Elway and Eli Manning. Not much of a stretch to also add a third, Bernie Kosar.

of all the knocks against Eli, this is by far the most glaring. Anyone who would prefer New Jersey to San Diego needs psychiatric evaluation.

of all the knocks against Eli, this is by far the most glaring. Anyone who would prefer New Jersey to San Diego needs psychiatric evaluation.

unless all your daughter's mommas live in jersey. (but F them, i'd be in san diego in a heartbeat).

oh and btw, something about big hair, a big mouth and chewing gum that equal a great blowjob..........all the while listening to some crap franki valli song.

Archived