THE BROWNS BOARD

Kiper on Curry

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

This surprised me a little, especially given that he has Curry #2 on his big board.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. is one of those who projects Curry to the Browns. But he didn't seem as high on him as Mayock.

''He probably falls into that category as the safest guy, maybe not a boom, but not a bust,'' Kiper said. ''Curry doesn't have any real weaknesses, although he's not as fast as some would prefer.''

Kiper expects Curry's 40 time will probably be in the 4.6 range and doesn't put him in the same category as Jerod Mayo, the NFL's defensive rookie of the year who was picked 10th overall by the New England Patriots.

Guest Aloysius

Here are some of the mythical SOBO's thoughts on Curry:

Curry is the best LB I've watched since starting to do this, and the best I've seen since Arrington.

About Curry occasionally getting juked in the open field:

Curry will play a little flatfooted at times. I've seen him tackle an amazingly agile CJ Spiller in the open field with ease. And he can cover in the slot. Sometimes his technique gets the best of him and doesn't always allow him to cut loose. Just watch this year's bowl game to see that.

Guest Aloysius

Btw, here's Kiper's updated big board:

Michael Crabtree So. WR Texas Tech

2. Aaron Curry Sr. LB Wake Forest

3. Matthew Stafford Jr. QB Georgia

4. Jason Smith Sr. OT Baylor

5. Andre Smith Jr. OT Alabama

6. Eugene Monroe Sr. OT Virginia

7. Jeremy Maclin So. WR Missouri

8. B.J. Raji Sr. DT Boston College

9. Mark Sanchez Jr. QB USC

10. Brian Orakpo Sr. DE Texas

11. Aaron Maybin So. DE Penn St.

12. Malcolm Jenkins Sr. CB Ohio State

13. Everette Brown Jr. DE Florida St.

14. Brandon Pettigrew Sr. TE Oklahoma St.

15. Tyson Jackson Sr. DE LSU

16. Percy Harvin Jr. WR Florida

17. Vontae Davis Jr. CB Illinois

18. Beanie Wells Sr. RB Ohio St.

19. Brian Cushing Sr. LB USC

20. Larry English Sr. LB No. Illinois

21. Rey Maualuga Sr. LB USC

22. Knowsh. Moreno So. RB Georgia

23. Peria Jerry Sr. DT Mississippi

24. Michael Oher Sr. OT Mississippi

25. Clay Matthews Sr. LB USC

Interesting that English is now ahead of Maualuga.

I would imagine it will start to change drastically after this week. Just a month or so ago the top two LBs were Maualuga and Laurantis.

Every year you got the guys that start a climb up the boards and guys that start falling.

Btw, here's Kiper's updated big board:

1. Michael Crabtree So. WR Texas Tech

2. Aaron Curry Sr. LB Wake Forest

3. Matthew Stafford Jr. QB Georgia

4. Jason Smith Sr. OT Baylor

5. Andre Smith Jr. OT Alabama

6. Eugene Monroe Sr. OT Virginia

7. Jeremy Maclin So. WR Missouri

8. B.J. Raji Sr. DT Boston College

9. Mark Sanchez Jr. QB USC

10. Brian Orakpo Sr. DE Texas

11. Aaron Maybin So. DE Penn St.

12. Malcolm Jenkins Sr. CB Ohio State

13. Everette Brown Jr. DE Florida St.

14. Brandon Pettigrew Sr. TE Oklahoma St.

15. Tyson Jackson Sr. DE LSU

16. Percy Harvin Jr. WR Florida

17. Vontae Davis Jr. CB Illinois

18. Beanie Wells Sr. RB Ohio St.

19. Brian Cushing Sr. LB USC

20. Larry English Sr. LB No. Illinois

21. Rey Maualuga Sr. LB USC

22. Knowsh. Moreno So. RB Georgia

23. Peria Jerry Sr. DT Mississippi

24. Michael Oher Sr. OT Mississippi

25. Clay Matthews Sr. LB USC

Interesting that English is now ahead of Maualuga.

I know a lot of people mock Kiper, but I tend to like his mocks the best. He's not the most detailed or scientific draft analyst ... but I think he has pretty good intuition, especially when it comes to playmakers. I'm not surprised he has Crabtree #1.

Zombo

This surprised me a little, especially given that he has Curry #2 on his big board.

Me too BUT does Kiper REALLY want us to draft Curry?

Hopefully this will make you feel a little better about it. If Curry runs a 4.6 forty that's ALOT quicker than T-Suggs ran forties; and he turned out to be a pretty freakin good pick for Kiper's favorite team. That ain't slow for a LBer. Ray Lewis can't beat ALOT of LBers in the forty that he can play faster than on Sundays. THAT is why you gotta watch the game films. Does the speed carry over? Chaun Thompson and David McMillan came to us running 4.5s and neither proved to be keeper material. Curry's 1st step instincts make him look fast on the footages I've seen thus far. I realize alot of that is confined to his greatest plays though. Curry reminds me of a Carl Banks or a Clay Matthews. Meanwhile, Clay Matthews Jr reminds me of Chip Banks (if we should seek a tradedown).

There's alot of former Pro Bowl players and Hall of Famers that only ran in the 4.6s like Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith and Ernest Byner. We traded Byner for the Mike Oliphant 4.3s; so 1 team got the Superbowl Workhorse (AND All Pro) while the other team got the guy looking for the rubber track surface.

- Tom F.

That's because Kiper is an idiot.

Has he stopped ranking his players based solely on hype yet?

-Al

I think he's an idiot as well.

My favorite Kiper moment was in 2002 when the Cincinnati Bengals drafted levi Jones in the first round. Kiper had a cow and went on to say "That's whay they are the Cincinnati Benglas". He really made a big deal of it.

Jones has went on to have a stellar career for the Bengals.

Some of the picks right after Jones?

Dante' Stallworth

T.J. Ducket

Jeremy Shockey

William green

Ashley Lelie

Daniel Graham

Nepolean Harris

Byran Thomas

The Jones pick may have been a surprise but you never make an ass of yourself like Kiper did that day by ripping on the Bengals like he did. You say it's a surprise and move on.

Many people might not remember it, But I thought he acted like such an ass I was going to remember it in case Jones went on to have a fine career.

Me too BUT does Kiper REALLY want us to draft Curry?

Hopefully this will make you feel a little better about it. If Curry runs a 4.6 forty that's ALOT quicker than T-Suggs ran forties; and he turned out to be a pretty freakin good pick for Kiper's favorite team. That ain't slow for a LBer. Ray Lewis can't beat ALOT of LBers in the forty that he can play faster than on Sundays. THAT is why you gotta watch the game films. Does the speed carry over? Chaun Thompson and David McMillan came to us running 4.5s and neither proved to be keeper material. Curry's 1st step instincts make him look fast on the footages I've seen thus far. I realize alot of that is confined to his greatest plays though. Curry reminds me of a Carl Banks or a Clay Matthews. Meanwhile, Clay Matthews Jr reminds me of Chip Banks (if we should seek a tradedown).

There's alot of former Pro Bowl players and Hall of Famers that only ran in the 4.6s like Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith and Ernest Byner. We traded Byner for the Mike Oliphant 4.3s; so 1 team got the Superbowl Workhorse (AND All Pro) while the other team got the guy looking for the rubber track surface.

- Tom F.

Flugs, if thats the case why would we not be better trading down getting additional picks and drafting Mathews, Cushing or English

I just question if Curry at #5 is that much better than other LB's we can get from the 10-18th slot and the pay would be much cheaper

I keep hearing people talk of curry as a safe pick,Flugs, I am sorry but I don't want a safe pick at #5, I want a guy who is going to be a Pro Bowl player the next 5-6 years and a guys thats a difference maker on this team not a guy thats just a solid player, I want a solid player if I am drafting in the teens not with the 5th selection in the entire draft and IMO after watching alot of Curry I don't see him as that type of player.

Flugs, let me ask you this question do you think if you add Aaron Curry to this defense is he going to make it that much better than say a Rey Maulauaga (sp) or Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews or Larry English or if you were to add Michael Crabtree would we make the offense that much better? I think we need to look at what player will have the biggest impact on either side of the ball and me I don't think adding Curry as a inside LB is going to make the defense that much better than a guy who can rush the passer will do more for our defense than a rookie inside LB JMO.

I think he's an idiot as well.

My favorite Kiper moment was in 2002 when the Cincinnati Bengals drafted levi Jones in the first round. Kiper had a cow and went on to say "That's whay they are the Cincinnati Benglas". He really made a big deal of it.

Jones has went on to have a stellar career for the Bengals.

Some of the picks right after Jones?

Dante' Stallworth

T.J. Ducket

Jeremy Shockey

William green

Ashley Lelie

Daniel Graham

Nepolean Harris

Byran Thomas

The Jones pick may have been a surprise but you never make an ass of yourself like Kiper did that day by ripping on the Bengals like he did. You say it's a surprise and move on.

Many people might not remember it, But I thought he acted like such an ass I was going to remember it in case Jones went on to have a fine career.

Every year people talk about Kiper and these other draft guys and all the mocks they put out, yet go back and look at these guys mocks and what they say about these players and they usually have 4 or 5 players going to the correct teams with their mocks and when you read how they project players they are WRONG 75% of the time. just go back and look at there mocks and player projections the past 5 years and you would laugh how wrong these guys are.

The guys on this board should consider performing our own mock draft with members who participate given a team to select for. A 2 round mock draft would be kind of cool...........Just a thought

The guys on this board should consider performing our own mock draft with members who participate given a team to select for. A 2 round mock draft would be kind of cool...........Just a thought

We went 3 rounds at BrownsRevolution.com in 2006. It was ALOT of fun. The logistics are a nightmare, but tons of fun.

I had the Saints (the Draft after Hurricane Katrina). I didn't care what team I got, and I wouldn't care this time, neither. I'll gladly participate and you can give me any team.

-Al

Flugs, if thats the case why would we not be better trading down getting additional picks and drafting Mathews, Cushing or English

I just question if Curry at #5 is that much better than other LB's we can get from the 10-18th slot and the pay would be much cheaper

I keep hearing people talk of curry as a safe pick,Flugs, I am sorry but I don't want a safe pick at #5, I want a guy who is going to be a Pro Bowl player the next 5-6 years and a guys thats a difference maker on this team not a guy thats just a solid player, I want a solid player if I am drafting in the teens not with the 5th selection in the entire draft and IMO after watching alot of Curry I don't see him as that type of player.

Flugs, let me ask you this question do you think if you add Aaron Curry to this defense is he going to make it that much better than say a Rey Maulauaga (sp) or Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews or Larry English or if you were to add Michael Crabtree would we make the offense that much better? I think we need to look at what player will have the biggest impact on either side of the ball and me I don't think adding Curry as a inside LB is going to make the defense that much better than a guy who can rush the passer will do more for our defense than a rookie inside LB JMO.

I hear ya SONY so I'll try to clarify some. On defense, I have Curry as my 1A and Rey as my 1B. What seperates the 2 has nothing to do with safe and it'svery close. The reason I have Curry slightly ahead of Rey at this time is that he can be flexible enough to play inside or outside for us and I'm not sure ANY of the other guys you've/we've mentioned are as capable. He's more like Clay Matthews IMO than Clay Matthews Jr. When I watch the films of Curry I'm VERY impressed. I think this is why Mayock recently had him rated as his #1 player.

What I like about Rey is he's always in highlights for vicious hits and jarring footballs loose. Not to mention, he's already been playing in a 3-4 coached by a former NFL DC/Head Coach. That's got a sudden impact appeal to it that makes my football wood factor go from Balsa to Sekoya. If Curry goes before we pick - I wouldn't be disappointed with a trade down or to see us snagging Rey. I've seen drafts where the first 26 teams didn't consider Ray Lewis or T-Suggs as safe. Guess what? You gotta watch film to cross your t's and dot yourt i's.

Meanwhile, a guy like Charles Rogers was once the Michael Crabtree of HIS draft and the consensus player you just weren't supposed to pass up in the top 5. Speaking of Crabtree, he will probably become a GOOD pro. That said, he's going to have to adjust from being 1 of 4 WRs every down in a Mike Leach (run and shoot) type of offense in a conference that didn't play any defense to NFL defenses that have an Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, or Troy Polamalu in Centerfield. BIG difference. Oklahoma just rolled their secondary and he had 2 harmless catches for 28 yards by the halftime deficit of 42-7. If that was overwhelming, just wait until he has to diagnose the hot read of a Dick LeBeau zone blitz. You don't play fast when you're confused or frustrated. Honestly, I see BETTER fits for Crabtree than the Cleveland Browns; but I've been wrong before. My favorite 2 WRs are speedier guys: Harvin (even though I'm learning he has baggage to overcome) and Maclin. Maybe the biggest steal of the WRs in this draft is Hakeem Nicks projected to go later. I like the guys that want to prove something. It's all about finding the BEST fit for us.

- Tom F.

Archived