THE BROWNS BOARD

The G.O.A.T.

The Gipper

Im writing an algorithm for QB goat right now, with over 20 catagory entries......been working on it for the last week or so, but need a some opinions/input on whats "most important" to you for GOAT....some are stats guys, so what stats matter to you?.....some go for winners?....super bowls?.....longevity?

so, whats tops on your Goat list Sb wins? or passer stats? accumulated stats?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im writing an algorithm for QB goat right now, with over 20 category entries......been working on it for the last week or so, but need a some opinions/input on whats "most important" to you for GOAT....some are stats guys, so what stats matter to you?.....some go for winners?....super bowls?.....longevity?

so, whats tops on your Goat list Sb wins? or passer stats? accumulated stats?

I look forward to it....and I believe that all those factors have to go into it.

Though, like I said, there has to be some factor involved for comparative eras.

As noted above....A 2800 yard passing season in the 50s may equate to a 5000 yard passing season in the 2010s.

Dominance of contemporary opponents would be a factor.

I am glad you are doing the math, and not me.

One thing I am not sure how you will handle is the longevity factor. Guys like Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins could be among the top ten in certain volume career stats, like yards, attempts, completions....but I wouldn't expect to see many people argue for them as part of the GOAT discussion.

I'm not sure why you seem to view a post, any post, as an opportunity for you to spew a diatribe; just your M.O. I guess... but my original point was simple.

I viewed it as an opportunity to engage in an interesting discussion....and to extrapolate on a point made....or to counterargue your point. Sorry you can't follow along.

As good as Brady is, you can't help wondering how great a few of the others in his era would be considered if they played under Belichick.

I have always wondered how mediocre Belichick would be without having Brady play for him.

Without Brady as his primary starter? In 7 years he has a losing record in 5 of them.

I look forward to it....and I believe that all those factors have to go into it.

Though, like I said, there has to be some factor involved for comparative eras.

As noted above....A 2800 yard passing season in the 50s may equate to a 5000 yard passing season in the 2010s.

Dominance of contemporary opponents would be a factor.

I am glad you are doing the math, and not me.

One thing I am not sure how you will handle is the longevity factor. Guys like Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins could be among the top ten in certain volume career stats, like yards, attempts, completions....but I wouldn't expect to see many people argue for them as part of the GOAT discussion.

The longevity factor is an interesting one, in that it will have positive and negative calculations that are factored in....ie credit has to be given for some accumulated stats(yds, td, etc) and value added for being a long term quality performer, though negative factors will play in and be balanced by avgs/per season etc....when I submit the final calculation, i will also offer a brief description of all the factors....

Archived