THE BROWNS BOARD

David Bowens

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

No need to get into pissing matches, but there's a point to be made here. Yes, Moore had a solid Combine and pro day, but that doesn't mean we should ignore what he did last year and at the Senior Bowl. So if I quote an article about Moore's pro day, then say later in the thread that he had a poor Senior Bowl, that's not me dissing him - it's me saying, "Yes, this is a positive, but I still worry about the negatives." I even brought up the possibility that Moore played poorly due to injuries, which is something Moore completely denied when asked about it at the Senior Bowl.

And all of that - looking at a prospect from every angle, with a critical eye - doesn't amount to me saying Moore's a linebacker.

Guest Aloysius
back to the topic at hand...

Barring an 11th-hour change of heart, linebacker David Bowens is expected to sign with the Cleveland Browns in the coming days, according to a person with knowledge of Bowens' thinking. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for Bowens.

via here.

Rotoworld's snarky comment on the article was kinda funny:

At 32, Bowens is on the downswing as a backup and special teams player. He reportedly "loves" playing for Eric Mangini, which puts him in select company.

I wonder about Mosley/Bowens/Barton wanting to sign with the Browns. The enthusiasm for playing under Mangini definitely is a positive, but I wonder how much of it is a function of Cleveland being the place they're most likely to get starting consideration. For Mosley, Cleveland may have been the only place he could compete to start. And for Barton, Mangini may be the only coach who'll pretty much guarantee him a starting gig.

Guest Aloysius
I think Mosley would have gotten some love around the league. He's young, quick, and versatile.

I don't disagree; I just think he probably would be seen by other teams as more of a wave player, whereas Mangini might see him as a starting option at RE, especially if Robaire doesn't come back 100% from the Achilles injury.

It's interesting that Mosley only signed a two year deal. If he proves to be a capable starter for us, he'll be in a position to be a 27 year old quality 3-4 DE heading into free agency in 2011. If that happens, he'll really get some love from other teams.

I can't see us benefiting from picking up the scraps that couldn't even help the poor Jets D last season. It's even funnier that everyone around here accepts bringing in ManKok's old players as if they are some special talent. I'd rather have anyone else in the FA market.

via here.[/color]

Rotoworld's snarky comment on the article was kinda funny:

I wonder about Mosley/Bowens/Barton wanting to sign with the Browns. The enthusiasm for playing under Mangini definitely is a positive, but I wonder how much of it is a function of Cleveland being the place they're most likely to get starting consideration. For Mosley, Cleveland may have been the only place he could compete to start. And for Barton, Mangini may be the only coach who'll pretty much guarantee him a starting gig.

Only Barton out of that group has a chance of being a starter. The others are brought in as backups and role players. The Pats and other winning teams believe that team players who know their roles are valuable pieces. Bowens was special teams captain in NY and a backup LB. The ultimate team player that will do anything you ask. He's a real hard nose player on the field. Mosley will be in the rotation at DE, Robaire Smith, Mosley, Williams and Leonard. Saun Smith will be on the roster until they are sure that Robaire Smith is healthy or until they find another backup DE/NT.

@ ytown: i'm the guy who's been saying that moore can't play safety in the league because of his coverage issues and that he'll have to be a cover 2 WLB.

but that's something i firmly believe after seeing him play two late-season games and in the senior bowl. whether because of injury or lack of ability, moore can't cover whatsoever, which is a severe deficiency that he won't overcome if he stays at safety.

I can't see us benefiting from picking up the scraps that couldn't even help the poor Jets D last season. It's even funnier that everyone around here accepts bringing in ManKok's old players as if they are some special talent. I'd rather have anyone else in the FA market.

Really? You would rather have someone come in that doesn't fit a 3-4 scheme or hasn't played in it? Well we have already tried that it was called the last four years of jamming a round peg into a square hole. I know these guys aren't all world but they have played in this scheme and are high charcter players. Which is what we have lacked for the last 10 years outside of Cribbs.

@ ytown: i'm the guy who's been saying that moore can't play safety in the league because of his coverage issues and that he'll have to be a cover 2 WLB.

but that's something i firmly believe after seeing him play two late-season games and in the senior bowl. whether because of injury or lack of ability, moore can't cover whatsoever, which is a severe deficiency that he won't overcome if he stays at safety.

We'll see what our new LB coach thinks since he coached him in college. After watching Jones the last two years, Moore looks like a shut down corner compared to him. Since we will be playing a lot of cover 2 he should be fine. But, that's why the draft is such a crap shoot. I actually like Chung better but Moore is a beast against the run.

We'll see which one goes after Delmas and how his career plays out.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, he was pretty bad in the bowl game.

After he got burned for the TD, I remember the color guy saying something like, "They really like that matchup." It sounded like part of Northwestern's gameplan was to exploit Moore's coverage issues by forcing him to cover receivers one on one. It definitely worked: he got beat by Andrew Brewer, who's a 4.6 guy.

We'll see what our new LB coach thinks since he coached him in college. After watching Jones the last two years, Moore looks like a shut down corner compared to him. Since we will be playing a lot of cover 2 he should be fine. But, that's why the draft is such a crap shoot. I actually like Chung better but Moore is a beast against the run.

We'll see which one goes after Delmas and how his career plays out.

Thanks for the laugh Ytown, that was some funny shit.

Archived