THE BROWNS BOARD

So what does Cleveland do about Gordon?

domcucch1994

The older wiser veterans need to mentor some of these players. The last person Gordon needed to be hanging around with was Johnny Manziel.

Completely agree. Like Andrew Hawkins or Miles Austin (just from his position). Johnny is a dumbass in my own personal opinion. From what I understand Gordon (when he drank the alcohol that will get him suspended this time on the plane) was with several of his fellow Browns players. You would think one of the group would be like "hey Josh you can't drink that", but nobody tried to help him.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would think one of the group would be like "hey Josh you can't drink that", but nobody tried to help him.

I would like to see this team get a little smarter about things like this. It should have not have happened. Someone needed to have a talk to Gordon about the consequences and tried to help him. Bottom line is Gordon himself knew he could get that call at any time to report for a drug test within 4 hours. That thought should have been front and center at all times whenever he got tempted to drink and sad some of the Browns players became enablers for him to mess up yet again.

I agree with you except that I believe a team WILL take a chance with him & I would wish him well. For the Browns, I don't think it's worth it to keep him. Not only does he make bad decisions, he plays without PRIDE. If he played with pride, he would play hard EVERY down & he clearly does not. He put himself under the microscope & has to live with being highly scrutinized. Sorry Josh, but YOU live with the consequences of your actions. Playing in the NFL is a privilege to be earned, not a right based on talent alone. Cutting him makes a strong & positive statement to those Browns' players who have worked their butts off to earn the privilege to be here, especially a few who have overcome previous off field issues. If he had HALF their pride & work ethic, he wouldn't be where he is now. Let another team babysit him. The Browns have supported him long enough. Also keep in mind that we won FOUR games in his ONE productive season & were more successful with him OFF the field than ON it in 2014. Could he come back to hurt us?..Possibly, but we don't know that. What we DO know is that he has & is hurting the Browns now as they are working to reverse a negative culture. Josh Gordon lacks the pride real winners have. Real winners don't blame their past for their shortcomings, they forge ahead to positive growth.

The Browns & their Fans deserve better.

Mike

Well said Mike. I agree Gordon has run out of strikes- at least with the Browns. If he goes on to have a HOF career with another team- it's a chance we're going to have to take.

If you are really looking for a villain you'll find one anywhere. This has basically become a witch hunt... get a grip.

Sorry PG- Josh by his previous actions- invited the witches into his house. Only he can drive them away- and a start would be to finally wise up. I don't know how much more of a wake up call it would be to piss away around $10 million- those were some mighty expensive drinks.

Let's not make a story bigger. How do we know if nothing was said to Josh about Drinking?? Not Team Babysitter's, Josh states he blew it and thought drinking suspension ended to league at end of season, (Yes Dumb) but if was asked by teammate's I would think that was his answer. Josh adult and responsible for his own suspension violations, I am sure he signed his restrictions and sounds like a agent should have told him soon as he heard the word Las Vegas..

If it was a 74 Pinto, sure. A 74 Vette might be a different deal

Well let's say it is a Corvette. Your mechanic tells you it might be a cracked block but he won't know until he tears it apart.

If the block isn't cracked he might be able to fix it and you would still have a pretty cool car or easily sell it. If you send it to the junkyard today you'll never know.

WSS

Well let's say it is a Corvette. Your mechanic tells you it might be a cracked block but he won't know until he tears it apart.

If the block isn't cracked he might be able to fix it and you would still have a pretty cool car or easily sell it. If you send it to the junkyard today you'll never know.

WSS

Let's say you have also had other issues with this really cool car and it has nickel and dimed you to death with one thing after the other has gone wrong. The car has been nothing but a headache. Now it sits in the garage and might have a cracked engine block. It is still too valuable to just junk it out, the body alone is worth some money so you sell it as is and get what you can. That is what I would do with Gordon. Try to get what I can later for a trade.

I think you guys are reacting out of anger. There is absolutely no benefit the cutting the guy now. None. But many of the fans in their hysteria just don't understand that. The worst that happens is that in the end he has no possible value. Which is what you by cutting him today.

Cutting the guy doesn't punish him whatsoever and it has absolutely no benefit to the team besides to assuage your anger.

A better metaphor might be if that Corvette stalls on the highway you get out and smash it to bits with a sledgehammer. Maybe you feel better for a second but...

WSS

I think you guys are reacting out of anger. There is absolutely no benefit the cutting the guy now. None. But many of the fans in their hysteria just don't understand that. The worst that happens question he has no value. Which is what you get like it.

Cutting the guy doesn't punish him whatsoever and it has absolutely no benefit to the team besides assuage your anger.

A better metaphor might be if that Corvette stalls on the highway you get out and smash it to bits with a sledgehammer. Maybe you feel better for a second but...

WSS

No. It shows that given that he has already had numerous chances, and repeatedly makes the same mistake, the consequence is being cut. The benefit is that is gives a warning to someone else who might be doing the same behavior.

So I have a serious question for you guys that say keep him. How many more screw-ups would it take before you all would say enough is enough? 1, 2, 3 more? Truth be told, I think cutting him is what he needs for his life. Maybe he needs to go a Ricky Williams type journey, I don't know. But let's make something clear that you people seem to not understand: He has NO value as a trade piece, zero. Are we also not forgetting how the guy clearly didn't give a shit out on the field when he came back this year?

I'm just not sure what it's going to take for some. Yes, there is value in cutting him loose. It sends a message that you can't keep screwing up and be coddled. It shows the Browns aren't a joke organization who has to desperately hold on to a guy who doesn't give a shit because he's talented.. Let him go, please Browns do it.

I am upset with some of the Browns players as well. Where was the mentoring and guidance for someone like Gordon? I read where the photos of the Browns players partying on the plane with Gordon and putting out some photos on instagram which someone in the NFL saw is the reason why when the plane landed Gordon had 4 hours to report for a drug test.

I am upset with some of the Browns players as well. Where was the mentoring and guidance for someone like Gordon? I read where the photos of the Browns players partying on the plane with Gordon and putting out some photos on instagram which someone in the NFL saw is the reason why when the plane landed Gordon had 4 hours to report for a drug test.

Well I agree with that wholeheartedly. It sure seems like there's an old pro or two that could put his arm around the kid and say dude watch out, you're throwing your life away. Too bad. It's not like Gordon is a genius to begin with.

WSS

after reading these posts from people who are a lot smarter than me (in their own minds) i guess it wouldn't 'kill' them if the browns just held onto him during his suspension. maybe he figures his life out, maybe he doesn't. who knows i guess we'll see in another 400+ plus days from now (by the way the balls rolling).

the only fear i have is the consequences this has on the locker room. if/when we sign/draft a kid to be our #1 does he all-of-a-sudden come down with the hoyer syndrome wondering when a dude is going to walk through the door and get him demoted? i know it's the nfl and everyone has to worry about being replaced but another year of a gordon suspension as a headline that can be pulled out of any reporter's ass on a slow day and then the manziel circus...................when does it end?

it ends when these clowns are not on the team. if they think they'll have to cut him (like i'm sure they all thought last year) then doesn't it make sense to make it quick and clean. this hanging on and dragging your feet shit is what has me (for the first time) disappointed in this FO and owner.

I keep hearing how the other players should somehow be responsible for Josh and gotta ask why????

Josh claims he didn't know he couldn't drink. So, then how should his team mates know?

And in a world of selfies, how can you blame his team mates for posting an innocent picture of their celebration???

And who, in this whole world, takes responsibility for their co-workers actions?

Its 2000% ridiculous that other players are in any way responsible for any of his crap.

The real question is what could we have gotten for him two years ago.

dude, for the life of me, why do you think like that? is this how you spend your days wondering what could have been?

should have drafted watkins. should have drafted evans. should have drafted bridgewater. should have. would have. could have.

you must agonize over the fact that the browns have past over 100s of hall of famers since their existence.

I get the feeling Pettine has a good control of the locker room. I like how he handled the situation with Gordon, Manziel and Gilbert the last game of the season. Gordon could not even make the trip to Baltimore and to further punish Manziel and Gilbert they had to stay in the locker room.

Before the game I read stories where Pettine had lost control of the locker room but I saw the Browns go out and play hard against the Ravens. Another story with no merit.

The players who did put out the effort got to see those who didn't get punished being banished to the locker room. I think that is important that those who work hard see those who don't not get rewarded.

Well I agree with that wholeheartedly. It sure seems like there's an old pro or two that could put his arm around the kid and say dude watch out, you're throwing your life away. Too bad. It's not like Gordon is a genius to begin with.

WSS

Any possibility that has already happened? Many times even? Who's to say?

Lets not knock the team leaders just because someone hasnt followed their example.

we had veterans calling out these guys in public and a lot of folks said it was wrong and they shouldn't have done it. So, lets assume that BEFORE they went public, they tried in private. It only seems reasonable. Josh was surrounded by leaders who worked hard, stayed clean, showed up and gave effort every day, which is HOW you lead.

It's insane to lump any of this on his team mates. And if "he" is, then he is the worst team player ever

Finally, whether he is "awed" by other players or not is irrelevant and a kind of stupid. What does that have to do with anything???

we had veterans calling out these guys in public and a lot of folks said it was wrong and they shouldn't have done it. So, lets assume that BEFORE they went public, they tried in private. It only seems reasonable. Josh was surrounded by leaders who worked hard, stayed clean, showed up and gave effort every day, which is HOW you lead.

It's insane to lump any of this on his team mates. And if "he" is, then he is the worst team player ever

Finally, whether he is "awed" by other players or not is irrelevant and a kind of stupid. What does that have to do with anything???

It mens that unfortunately he doesn't seem to respect some of the great veterans in the league. I thought that was clear.

WSS

I agree with you except that I believe a team WILL take a chance with him & I would wish him well. For the Browns, I don't think it's worth it to keep him. Not only does he make bad decisions, he plays without PRIDE. If he played with pride, he would play hard EVERY down & he clearly does not. He put himself under the microscope & has to live with being highly scrutinized. Sorry Josh, but YOU live with the consequences of your actions. Playing in the NFL is a privilege to be earned, not a right based on talent alone. Cutting him makes a strong & positive statement to those Browns' players who have worked their butts off to earn the privilege to be here, especially a few who have overcome previous off field issues. If he had HALF their pride & work ethic, he wouldn't be where he is now. Let another team babysit him. The Browns have supported him long enough. Also keep in mind that we won FOUR games in his ONE productive season & were more successful with him OFF the field than ON it in 2014. Could he come back to hurt us?..Possibly, but we don't know that. What we DO know is that he has & is hurting the Browns now as they are working to reverse a negative culture. Josh Gordon lacks the pride real winners have. Real winners don't blame their past for their shortcomings, they forge ahead to positive growth.

The Browns & their Fans deserve better.

Mike

You are 100% right. A team WILL sign him. That sadly is unfortunate for the Browns. Teams will always try and find a steal when they can. The Patriots have been doing it for years. The problem is, usually it takes that life hit of hitting bottom, and having your dream taken away before they realize they truly have something to lose. Until then, the Browns are nothing more then an organization of excuses when it comes to Gordon.

I don't want to lose a dynamic playmaker such as Gordon either, but he is a bad influence on this team whether he means to be or not. I wish him the best, but how can you expect anything other then the worst? He hasn't proven he can make good decisions. Even in his letter he makes excuses of not knowing, or he was just around weed, but didn't smoke. etc. This kid is damaged, and even with his future in doubt, still believes he didn't do anything wrong. That isn't the sign of a mature kid who understands his place in this world, and on this team. If he isn't mature enough to stay away from his so called friends who do this garbage, then he doesn't deserve anymore chances. He has had plenty of them. I wonder how many on this board, would continually fail like he has making bad decision after decision since high school? I bet 95% would have shaped up by now.

At some point you just have to cut the cord and let them fall on their face.

I feel like a lot of the people of this board don't know what it is like to grow up without a father. I personally don't know what it's like, but I imagine that you lack the discipline you would otherwise have if you did have a father. Personally, I know that I was always frightened by disappointing my father. Your mother is always there to coddle you, but your father is there to turn you into a man that will force you to own up to your own personal responsibilities. Not really defending Josh (he's a dumbass from my perspective), but you gotta walk a mile in his shoes before you scream "CUT HIM".

I am sorry but this has nothing to do with Josh Gordon. Can only a father teach a son right from wrong? Can only a mother teach a daughter right from wrong? Can only a married couple only teach kids there are consequences to your decisions? A missing father might have had some impact on him, but to say that is the reason he is who he is; is just crazy. There are untold amounts of people who had no father, and grew up and became at least upstanding citizens, if not successful citizens DESPITE not having a father. This is one of the all time biggest copouts to the upbringing of our children.

I am sure his mother taught him right from wrong, I am sure he learned and experienced what happens when you break the rules ( like getting kicked out of Baylor). This is his fault alone, and no other outside forces caused this. I personally cannot stand copouts, Life is simple, make good choices, and life will be better.

I put it like this...

If I own a business, and hired somebody who showed in one year that he COULD be great I'd be excited about what he COULD do in the future. BUT if he couldn't stay at work b/c he kept getting suspended (especially for a WHOLE YEAR), I'm pretty sure it'd be time to cut bait and move forward...

It's not impossible to find another good WR.

Also, it's not guaranteed that Gordon will ever be as great again as we saw in a small, 14-game sample size... Some players are one-and-done (Peyton Hillis anybody)...

Archived