THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumor: Browns interested in trading up for Mariota

WalterWhite

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screw that..... why are these people too stupid to find the first 6'-4" 220 lb. strong arm qb with an IQ over 100, in the later rounds? That's what Bellichik did.

While I don't believe Belicheck is 100% responsible for that pick, there is a bit of luck involved as well. He had a GM and scouts, that did the real work on Brady. Kudos to them, but other then Brady how many quarterbacks have become stars like Brady after being drafted after round 3? There is a reason why 95% of them fail. Brady is the exception. For every Brady I can name 10 other quarterbacks who failed.

Another thing is, a lot of this depends on the team they go to. If they go to crappy teams, it won't matter where they are drafted. If they go to teams that are decent already, it greatly helps their development.

I agree, 23...

If the FO thinks MM has the talent to make it, they have to go get him. There are really no "other" questions around him. But if they do, I wish I could see what they see.

Essentially they can create a 2014 reset by signing Hoyer and sitting another first-round rookie... or let the rook sit behind Shaw, if they think enough of Connor.

I agree, 23...

If the FO thinks MM has the talent to make it, they have to go get him. There are really no "other" questions around him. But if they do, I wish I could see what they see.

Essentially they can create a 2014 reset by signing Hoyer and sitting another first-round rookie... or let the rook sit behind Shaw, if they think enough of Connor.

Do you really trust the FO after they TOTALLY blew the 1st round last year?

Do you really trust the FO after they TOTALLY blew the 1st round last year?

I sure as hell don't.

I mean, they were completely ineffective all year. Bitonio is garbage. Can't believe we wasted a second rounder on him. And getting two runningbacks, one through UDFA? Terrible. Hey Farmer, YOU CAN ONLY START ONE RB AT A TIME, IDIOT. WHY DO WE NEED TWO.

Then going out and finding some random no-name UDFA WR, I think the dude's name was Peter Gabriel? Fucking idiotic. That guy sucks ass. And don't even get me started on that Williams dude. What kind of team starts a UDFA DB?

I say fire them all, let's go get Josh McDaniels.

I sure as hell don't.

I mean, they were completely ineffective all year. Bitonio is garbage. Can't believe we wasted a second rounder on him. And getting two runningbacks, one through UDFA? Terrible. Hey Farmer, YOU CAN ONLY START ONE RB AT A TIME, IDIOT. WHY DO WE NEED TWO.

Then going out and finding some random no-name UDFA WR, I think the dude's name was Peter Gabriel? Fucking idiotic. That guy sucks ass. And don't even get me started on that Williams dude. What kind of team starts a UDFA DB?

I said the first round.

Yes the FO did well after that, but they blew it in round 1.

BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure as hell don't.

Yet another person who doesn't know football. Here is what people who actually know said about Bitonio http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000448750/article/rookie-watch-2015-pro-bowl-picks-and-snubs

I believe he is even is/was in consideration for offensive rookie of the year honors.

Yet another person who doesn't know football. Here is what people who actually know said about Bitonio http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000448750/article/rookie-watch-2015-pro-bowl-picks-and-snubs

I believe he is even is/was in consideration for offensive rookie of the year honors.

Ever hear of sarcasm?

I agree, 23...

There are flashes I've seen. However, its usually accompanied by a breakdown in the play and MM extending said play. You can't continuously live off of that in the NFL.

To his credit, Mariota appears to have a better feel for pressure and slide more efficiently in the pocket.

Would I invest a high 1st round pick in him though? No. Especially considering it would cost us a shot at Shelton or Brown.

I said the first round.

Yes the FO did well after that, but they blew it in round 1.

BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

Nothing will ever change.

Nothing will ever change......................You are right on that but to the degree there will always be negative rain clouds like you two. The first round isn't the draft. We did very well in the latter rounds and free agency. It also remains to be seen if the first round was a bust. If either Gilbert or Manziel improve this year and we use the extra pick from the Bills wisely first round rocks too.

I am guessing the Browns as a whole could give less than two shits about a pair of negative nancies like yourselves. Go root for another team please and do the Browns and all of us a favor.

And now your post is in consideration for Idiot of the Year Honors.

I agree, 23...

If we traded as much as it would take to land this guy, there is no way in hell he sits his rookie year...

And to be honest, given his skill-set, he seems like the kind of guy who could start right away. Not sure he'd be any less effective than Hoyer/Manziel/Shaw from day 1. Remember, it'll be a whole new offense for everybody to learn...

Nothing will ever change......................You are right on that but to the degree there will always be negative rain clouds like you two. The first round isn't the draft. We did very well in the latter rounds and free agency. It also remains to be seen if the first round was a bust. If either Gilbert or Manziel improve this year and we use the extra pick from the Bills wisely first round rocks too.

I am guessing the Browns as a whole could give less than two shits about a pair of negative nancies like yourselves. Go root for another team please and do the Browns and all of us a favor.

I just call it like I see it. And as I type this both 1st round picks sucked. The rest of the offseason was good to great

I would be ELATED if Johnny turned out to be a good QB. Same with Gilbert.

I have been a Browns season ticket holder since 1999. So the Browns DO actually care what I think.

I just want the dark cloud of Gordon and Manziel gone....

Mariota would most certainly help this. I've been a firm believer in Mariota having watched 75%-85% of his games. Also the system comments and the Dixon, Masoli, Thomas comments are ridiculous. Compare their stats to Marcus' and you'll be blown away

Pros:

- Great pocket movement, looks to throw while moving around

- Phenomenal/NFL quality acceleration

- Compact, quick release

- Humility and work ethic. Improved every year. Never threw a teammate under the bus yet shares/credits his success with them

- Frame should allow for another 10 lbs or so

- Very, very low interception ratio for his entire career. Simply takes care of the ball (while throwing)...

- Absolutely mastered his offense and was in command of everything. This to me is very underrated.

Con's

- Virtually no experience under center

- Deep ball accuracy is hit or miss (wildly!)

- Fumbles quite a bit (correctable)

- Usually contorts his body to absorb impact, however, I have seen him take massive shots while trying to do too much rather than "living to play another down"

Mariota would most certainly help this. I've been a firm believer in Mariota having watched 75%-85% of his games. Also the system comments and the Dixon, Masoli, Thomas comments are ridiculous. Compare their stats to Marcus' and you'll be blown away

Pros:

- Compact, quick release

- Humility and work ethic. Improved every year. Never threw a teammate under the bus yet shares/credits his success with them

- Very, very low interception ratio for his entire career. Simply takes care of the ball (while throwing)...

- Absolutely mastered his offense and was in command of everything. This to me is very underrated.

Con's

- Usually contorts his body to absorb impact, however, I have seen him take massive shots while trying to do too much rather than "living to play another down"

Still the biggest con for me when evaluating QBs in college, the defensive scheme or lack there of is a big problem.

Chump Kelly is all hot and bothered over Marky Mark and wants to trade up to grab him, we can help them. Toss them a 2nd and a mid rounder for Nick Foles or even swap a 1st and give 'em a mid round pick. Grab Foles and let them blow their draft load on Mariotta. Use the rest of the draft on WR's and TE's for Foles to throw to.

That sounds like a plan to me.

Pros:

- Compact, quick release

Con's

Not so much cons but further observations.

- It takes a while for Mariota to get through his progressions when the first read is gone. Fortunately he has the mobility to extend plays and to keep his eyes downfield.

- His intermediate accuracy while on the run isn't great. If the Browns were to take a shot, that would have to improve as his legs make him viable with the bootleg.

- He doesn't always reset his feet and deliver with quality mechanics when forced to move in the pocket. This is the hallmark of a great passer.

- He has had little freedom at the line as the checks are usually made by the Oregon coaching staff. In an offense that isn't conducive to an NFL passer.

edit: If this front office loves Mariota - they should pass on him. Lord willing, Tennessee scoops him up that way he doesn't fall to us. If they're enticed by anyone, I'll take Grayson out of Colorado State in the 2nd round. Drop a 4th-5th rounder to move up a few spots, won't bother me. I love small(er) school QB's that shine without being surrounded with primo talent. Mariota has had the advantage of working with the best offense in the Pac.

Archived