THE BROWNS BOARD

Bands that you can't stand

There has been this great debate: Who was #3 behind the Beatles and the Stones of the great British Invasion bands. Most advocated for either Led Zeppelin or The Who.

But in my mind, it was no contest. It was The Who.

I may be wrong - and I AM being anal - but not sure that either The Who or Led Zepplin qualify as 'British Invasion' Bands. Maybe the early Who.

Any way, The Kinks, The Animals, Herman's Hermits, The Zombies, Hollies, etc. are better categorized as being part of the British Invasion.

How about Jerry and the Pacemakers, WSS?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong - and I AM being anal - but not sure that either The Who or Led Zepplin qualify as 'British Invasion' Bands. Maybe the early Who.

Any way, The Kinks, The Animals, Herman's Hermits, The Zombies, Hollies, etc. are better categorized as being part of the British Invasion.

I love them but they weren't very important. 3 or 4 hits, no real longevity.

WSS

Just referring to the story you once told me about a friend knocking on Jerry Marsden's front door.

In any event, the were part of The Invasion

Chad and Jeremy

Yeah and Gerry still lives there. I'd love to go to Liverpool and knock on his door as well.

I'm not sure if Chad and Jeremy or a prefab group or not but they did have a couple hits.

WSS

Page is freaking amazing. There are so many catchy riffs and licks that he plays, and when you combine it with his technical prowess, I don't think anyone aside from Jimi comes close. Hendrix would probably be my #1 if he didn't die early - there's so much he left on the table. Anyways, I don't care who you are or what you listen to, I guarantee that there is a Led Zeppelin song that you like. While I love The Who, I don't think I could say the same thing about them

Certainly there are LZ songs that I like. (Kashmere....Cashmir sp? among the best) Are you saying there are no Who songs you like? Seriously?

Of course, the one thing about Page is that he was a ripoff artist on occasion. Whole Lotta Love was almost an exact rip from a previous a Small Faces/Willie Dixon song......uncredited and which Page claimed was his own composition...even the lyrics. A 1985 lawsuit against him by Dixon was settled in Dixon's favor. Don't think so? Listen:

Do you watch CSI?

Yeah and Gerry still lives there. I'd love to go to Liverpool and knock on his door as well.

I'm not sure if Chad and Jeremy or a prefab group or not but they did have a couple hits.

WSS

My Aunt Elaine (by marriage....my uncle...my Mom's brother died) who lives in Liverpool is a pal of Gerry's.

There is hardly a better song.

Well, Page came out of the Yardbirds, Jones from Herman's Hermits. LZ formed from BI band members....but it did start later

The Who was definitely among the wave of British invasion acts. My Generation was 1965...right in the heart of the BI.

Certainly there are LZ songs that I like. (Kashmere....Cashmir sp? among the best) Are you saying there are no Who songs you like? Seriously?

Of course, the one thing about Page is that he was a ripoff artist on occasion. Whole Lotta Love was almost an exact rip from a previous a Small Faces/Willie Dixon song......uncredited and which Page claimed was his own composition...even the lyrics. A 1985 lawsuit against him by Dixon was settled in Dixon's favor. Don't think so? Listen:

[/color]

Do you watch CSI?

Its actually kashmir and damn whole lotta love was a rip off

Its actually kashmir and damn whole lotta love was a rip off

I don't think it was the only one either. It is one thing to do a cover of another band/artist's song. The Beatles et al did many of those...but acknowledged it. But to blatantly take a song and give no credit to the originator...and to claim credit for yourself.....has always made me leary of Led Zep.

In fact here is a whole list of them.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/6250/20140520/7-songs-other-than-stairway-to-heaven-that-led-zeppelin-stole.htm

Apparently they have even been accused of ripping off their seminal piece of work: Stairway to Heaven. At least the intro....from this song:

It is pretty clear that they did. (yes, the Spirit song came out first)

That's a fairly common type of roof for anyone who plays guitar. I don't think you can copyright a chord pattern so despite some similarity I don't see a rip. I thought the Sam Smith Tom Petty dust up was inadvertent also.

There is probably no pop song in the world the doesn't have a few notes from somewhere else. Almost impossible to avoid.

WSS

That's a fairly common type of roof for anyone who plays guitar. I don't think you can copyright a chord pattern so despite some similarity I don't see a rip. I thought the Sam Smith Tom Petty dust up was inadvertent also.

There is probably no pop song in the world the doesn't have a few notes from somewhere else. Almost impossible to avoid.

WSS

Yea, but Whole Lotta Love was notes/lyrics etc.

And while I think that Stairway to Heaven intro was taken from Spirit....there at least they did an entire whole other song that was apparently original.

Yea, but Whole Lotta Love was notes/lyrics etc.

And while I think that Stairway to Heaven intro was taken from Spirit....there at least they did an entire whole other song that was apparently original.

Like I say you can't copyright a chord progression. The Spirit song and stairway were just almost basically the same chords but not the same inversions or played the same way.

WSS

Like I say you can't copyright a chord progression. The Spirit song and stairway were just almost basically the same chords but not the same inversions or played the same way.

WSS

Of course, George Harrison got the shit for ripping off He's So Fine when he Wrote My Sweet Lord.

The Who and Zeppelin are the same to me now-a-days.

They are played way too much and I could go the rest of my life without hearing either of them ever again.

That being said, back in the 70's when I started listening to Rock and Roll, I liked the Who better.

The Kinks were/are better then all those other bands you mentioned. IMO

• 11 months later...

There are a million that suck. Some big ones that I just never understood why? are

U2

Grateful Dead

REM

ZZTOP

Phish

Nickleback

Fleetwood Mac

Bruce Springsteen

The Doors

All the 80's hair bands(Ratt, Poison, Motley Crue, etc)

Gotta say Poison again, because they sucked THAT bad

I despise black sabbath. They're horrible. The only song I sort of like is "fairies wear boots"

That's what makes this thread funny. Music is so subjective, it's as tough to debate as politics.

Sabbath has been my favorite since Vol. 4 came out in 1973. I still listen to them, especially at the gym with my ear buds. Their 1st 8 albums with Ozzy, were great. Then Dio hopped in and while different, they still jammed. Ozzy as a solo artist, I don't like a whole lot.

Tony Iommi and Jimmy Page are masters of the guitar in my opinion.

Bands I can't stand is a tough one. Certain genres, like rap, I can't stand. I guess if I had to name one that I never understood how popular they are, it would be U2.

That's what makes this thread funny. Music is so subjective, it's as tough to debate as politics.

Its a foolish endeavor to debate taste in anything. Cant really do it. Arguing about music would be comparable to arguing whether pizza tastes good. It one thinks it tastes bad, then it tastes bad. Same deal with music/art/etc. People probably only debate these things to add confirmation that their own taste is best.

I always thought Black Sabbath was just ok, but the Heaven and Hell album(with Dio) was amazing!

Archived