THE BROWNS BOARD

What Bernie Kosar Said

OldBrownsFan

I feel bad for Kosar. He still is more a Brown than any of the assholes in the FO. As bad off as he is, I wish they could find a plce for him. I think the pride of being part of the Browns would do a lot for his self esteem. But alas, the Browns are not in business to help Kosar. As such, the poor guy really is fucked.

The last article I read about Bernie he is doing very well now and I'm happy for him. I think if the Browns showed a little bit of loyalty to Bernie it would go a long way not just in helping him but it would be "therapeutic" for the Browns as well. There is something about character that will stick with an old friend and not kick them to the curb when things are going bad for them.

Well at least just an asshole.

Be it fact you crave laddie, today, right now, at this point in the present the Cleveland Browns are the superior football team to the Pittsburgh Steelers and will remain such until your rabble defeats us on the field of battle should that happen again. Thank you.

WSS

Now that is funny....when you make a joke you should put a smiley face up or something to show that you are making a joke.

I don't think he was making a joke.....just an observation. The last time the two teams met it was a very lopsided affair. A route. One team manhandled the other. The better team won. It was no aberration.

Certain factors later cause each team to go in a different direction. But the better team won that day.....and who is to say the same won't happen the next time they meet.

While it is possible you are correct about Kosar, there are a myriad of reasons that prevent a QB from having a good coaching career. Maybe he doesn't want to move from his home, maybe he wants to be affiliated with the Browns only. Maybe some of his personal issues have scared teams off. Doesn't mean he has a lack of football knowledge. Although, it also could mean other teams thinks he has a lack of football knowledge.

I really don't think the Browns or any other team question Kosar's football knowledge. I think the Brown's and every other team steer clear due to his myriad of off the field issues. Honestly when he was still on the TV broadcast his shifty eyes really gave me the creeps. Perhaps it was just me but it was clear there was something creepy going on in that head. If he could ever get it together I would be 100% for finding him some sort of position with the Browns. As you point out however that doesn't necessarily mean in a coaching position as the ability to play a position and the ability to teach a position can be two different things.

How about we discus Kosar without the emotions involved?

The drawing the play in the sand and disobeying Belichik is way overrated. It didn't prove anything. Kosar took a chance, rolled the dice and his skill, luck and the dynamics of that moment came together and the threw a touchdown. The takeaway from that moment depended on your point of view. Fans hated Bill so they believed it proved that Kosar knew more about football than the coach.

If you were an NFL owner, executive or network official, that play, coupled with Kosar supposedly punching Belichik in the tunnel, and Bernie's defiance, insisting that he knew best, you came away with a very negative image of Bernie. Has Kosar been blacklisted because of that? Who knows, BUT.... WSS Steve is completely correct.... IF Kosar was so intelligent, the NFL surely would have had opportunities for him post Browns.

I always believed that Kosar got a reputation for being the most intelligent QB because announcers could not with a straight face compliment his athletic game. They had to say something good about the guy, so they came up with some shit that nobody can really debate.

In "The Drive" game... Kosar got the ball first in overtime. Where was his "play in the sand"? Where was his "brilliant audible ability" when he had the chance to burn a badly fatigued Denver defense and take the Browns to a SB? Sorry, the folklore about this guy's football smarts is totally bullshit. He was a little better than average QB with a good team around him and he played with a lot of heart.

His legacy as a QB, outside of Cleveland, really is no more than a tree that fell in an uninhabited forest. Nobody is in awe of what the guy did. Again, nobody outside his crib.

For a supposedly intelligent man, Kosar has done a shitload of stupid things, including squandering his "intelligent" money and not leaving something for a rainy day. Going on television drunk probably was bad enough, but the real final straw for him was his behavior afterwards. Instead of admitting he was an alcoholic, certainly no sin, he made the biggest ass out of himself that he could have. He blamed his drunkenness on head injuries and THEN listed his head trauma doctor as

Jim (Ron?) Sponaugle................a fucking shyster who runs a detox center. C'mon, how stupid can you get? Can't you just see it now.......... a loved one has a serious head injury in a car accident and you take him to............................... A DETOX CENTER?

I feel bad for Kosar. He still is more a Brown than any of the assholes in the FO. As bad off as he is, I wish they could find a plce for him. I think the pride of being part of the Browns would do a lot for his self esteem. But alas, the Browns are not in business to help Kosar. As such, the poor guy really is fucked.

i always said that...it was the 3rd down play in that game that could have chg'd his career...it did not happen therefore to me, i loved the guy for all the heart he had...but that is about it...if he only had 1 iota of mobility...just 1 iota....oh well, no way an nfl hall of famer, not even close...cleveland hof, probably...

Hi . Without a doubt Bernard Kosar was and is the smartest QB to ever play the game. He had no skills but won games with his brain. Why he never was offered a head coaching or GM position with us is beyond me.

wow. very well said.

agree 100%.

now go suck some balls! :P

These squealer trolls crack me up. All they do is get shit on, everyone laughs at their ignorance, they are the idiot "friend" that you keep around for entertainment purposes only--their stupidity provides laughs every now and then. You can even change their screen name to something derogatory and they still hang around. They're too stupid to catch on.

Gotta say Im not on the whole Kosar as a coach bandwagon.....

Im not so sure that having knowledge adds up to being a good teacher or communicator....thats a talent being able to boil it down and instill it in another......and Bernies communication skills are lacking, if you ask me....

coaching is a profession and one that rewards hard work and effort. There are very few NFL coaches(dare I say none?) that just get "offered" a job outta the blue, some 20 years after they retire, just because.....

hey....if Kosar wanted to coach, he shoulda put himself out there 20 years ago and started learning the ropes like they all do.....

Agree... world of difference between consistently getting pre-snap reads correct in a pre-season broadcasts and teaching the QB position.

Although Bernie trying to teach "throwing over the top" could be entertaining...

Agree... world of difference between consistently getting pre-snap reads correct in a pre-season broadcasts and teaching the QB position.

Although Bernie trying to teach "throwing over the top" could be entertaining...

I just would like to see Bernie back doing the color commentary on the pre season games. I thought at first he might be a good QB coach but in reality he might be too far removed from the game now, plus the other things that go into coaching. I would not have been disappointed if Pettine had wanted him but I would rather see Pettine get the people in place he wants.

Archived