THE BROWNS BOARD

Kanye West storms Grammy stage, rants about Beck's surprise album of the year win

I don't even know who Beck is, I'm sure it's not Jeff Beck but......

Can't assholes like West be barred from public spaces?

Id love for somebody to slap him upside the head.

Kanye West storms Grammy stage, rants about Beck's surprise album of the year win
Published February 09, 2015
NOW PLAYING

Kanye storms stage again at Grammy Awards

Rapper Kanye West reprised his infamous stunt at Sunday night's Grammy awards, unexpectedly taking the Staples Center stage as Beck was accepting the Album of the Year award.

The singer-songwriter's win was the unquestioned shock of the night, as his "Morning Phase" album beat out both the night's top winner, Sam Smith, and the category's expected winner, Beyoncé.

Smith, however, didn't go home empty-handed. He won four Grammys, including Best New Artist and Record of the Year.

Beck, who also won Best Rock Album, seemed as surprised as the rest of the audience when he won the award and appeared to be looking around for help.

VIDEO: Watch Kanye storm the stage

That's when West popped up on stage and moved toward Beck as if he was about to take the trophy. Instead, West turned away and quickly jumped down, but not before getting laughs from Beyoncé and her husband, Jay-Z.

However, West wasn't laughing after the show, ranting that Beyoncé should have taken the gong for her self-titled album.

Appearing on the E! network's aftershow, West said, "I just know that the Grammys, if they want real artists to keep coming back, they need to stop playing with us. We ain't gonna play with them no more. And Beck needs to respect artistry and he should've given his award to Beyoncé.

"Because when you keep on diminishing art and not respecting the craft and smacking people in their face after they deliver monumental feats of music, you're disrespectful to inspiration," West continued. "And we as musicians have to inspire people who go to work every day, and they listen to that Beyoncé album and they feel like it takes them to another place."

The incident was an echo of the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, when West accosted Taylor Swift during her acceptance speech after Swift's "You Belong With Me" beat Beyoncé's "Single Ladies" for Female Video of the Year.

"Yo, Taylor, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish," West said after taking the microphone at Radio City Music Hall, "but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time! One of the best videos of all time!"

West was roundly criticized for his action and was even called a "jackass" by President Obama.

Recording academy president Neil Portnow said Kanye's moment was part of the excitement of a live television show.

"It's unpredictable," he said. "You don't know what's going to happen ... That turned out to be a fun moment at the end of the day."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Not sure what a 'Garbage Singer' is but I like her style.

Shirley Manson to Kanye: 'You Are Making Yourself Look Like a Complete Tw--'
Rolling StoneFebruary 10, 2015
dfab7e7d9809ec3a3065dc39ceeac01c19a55706

by Kory Grow

Garbage singer Shirley Manson has some harsh words for Kanye West, following the rapper’s claim that Beck should “respect artistry” and give his Album of the Year Grammy to Beyoncé. “It is you who is so busy disrespecting artistry,” she wrote on Facebook in a post that began with “Dear Kanye.”

"You disrespect your own remarkable talents and more importantly you disrespect the talent, hard work and tenacity of all artists when you go so rudely and savagely after such an accomplished and humble artist like Beck. You make yourself look small and petty and spoilt."

Beck Gracefully Responds to Kanye Grammy Diss

"In attempting to reduce the importance of one great talent over another, you make a mockery of all musicians and music from every genre, including your own," she continued. "Grow up and stop throwing your toys around. You are making yourself look like a complete twat."

The Garbage singer also added this biting post-script: “I am pretty certain Beyoncé doesn’t need you fighting any battles on her account. Seems like she’s got everything covered perfectly well on her own.”

West had made his comment backstage, shortly after storming the podium in a way that resembled the time he interrupted Taylor Swift at the VMAs. Although he demurred onstage, gesturing that he was kidding for the cameras, he shared his true feelings at E!’s post-Grammys show. “If they want real artists to keep coming back, they need to stop playing with us,” he said.

"I thought she was going to win," Beck told Us Weekly later, shrugging off West’s display during his acceptance speech. “Come on, she’s Beyoncé! You can’t please everybody, man. I still love [West] and think he’s genius. I aspire to do what he does.”

The rapper, too, lessened his comments later, telling a TMZ paparazzo that he regretted implying that Beck was not an artist. “I wasn’t saying Beck; I said the Grammys,” he said. “Beck knows that Beyoncé should have won; you know that… . Come on, man. I love Beck! But he didn’t have the Album of the Year.”

Related

Beck makes his OWN music. Producer, writer, plays all the instuments, and sings

Beyonce is an expensive kaeroke singer

Beck makes his OWN music. Producer, writer, plays all the instuments, and sings

Beyonce is an expensive kaeroke singer

That is why Kanye West is so fucking stupid. The two are completely different kinds of artists.

Beck, as you say is a writer, musician, singer......and though I don't know his stuff well it must be pretty good and many people like him a lot...including some people whose opinion I respect.

Beyonce is a great artist.....and her art is different than Beck's. She is a great performance artist. I don't know....she probably doesn't write many of her own songs...does she? I have never seen her play in instrument....does she ever play. But I think she is an excellent vocal talent.....and has a talent body that she knows what to do with.

There is a lot to be said for her talent.

(It is like the discussion we had about KISS.....great performance artists.....a little light on pure musicianship). Kanye is all about the performance art.....after all, he is fucking Kim Kardashian......who has no other talent than performing whatever schtick she has.

ms. manson in garbage was to kanye like a knat.

angry black dude had the marry the whitest chick with the biggest ass. he blows.

btw garbage was made up of movie producers and the like to form a pretty cool band....nothing like the jeff lynne directed ELO: (they showed kanye upclapping to the song........pleez)

Archived