THE BROWNS BOARD

Derek Anderson versus Matt Cassel

Zombo

Didn't we all see what happened when we had to play real NFL teams? DA flourished in three or four games in 2007 against awful football teams. Take out those three games and he's been a pedestrian QB at best in his FOUR years in the NFL.

Forget Quinn. Ask yourself if you think DA's total body of work warrants a commitment to him as our long term starter. I wouldn't make that bet. Hell, if you hate Quinn then let's draft Sanchez.

DA gets rid of the ball fast, but I happen to have a problem with it and always have. Yeah, it's great not taking as many sacks, but when you chuck it at the first sign of pressure before a receiver cuts it doesn't matter. I also like my QB to be able to be able to occasionally buy some time. Don't have to worry about that with DA, he's just going to fling it the second someone gets close, regardless if someone is open or not.

He lacks the intangibles of quick release guys like Marino. He's more in the Jeff George vein.

nah if I'm gonna watch a game from that year I watch the Oregon-Oregon State game. A 50-21 win over Kellen Clemens and the quacks.

so what games do you Quinn pud-pullers watch most? The loss to USC?

We watch Browns football. Try it sometime.

Will Start by saying Da needs to be traded.

Second I find it funny when people say that Da has the same issues as he did in High School. College, YES, High School no.

High school: Attended Scappoose (Ore.) High School...Excelled for the Class 3A (4A is the state's largest) Cowapa League member Indians...Was the first individual ever selected the 3A Player of the Year in football and basketball in the same season...Scappoose won the state title his senior year...Selected the top quarterback in the state and second in the nation by Super Prep Magazine at the conclusion of his senior year...Super Prep All-American pick and rated the magazine's 10th best player in the nation...Also earned All-American honors from Prep Star and Student Sports...USA Today Player of the Year for Oregon...Threw for 8,177 yards and 85 touchdowns, and completed 61 percent of his passes during his three-year varsity career...Second team All-State pick as a junior...Averaged 26.8 points and 10.8 rebounds during his senior year on the basketball court...For his 104-game basketball career, he averaged 18.6 points and 8.6 rebounds...First team All-State choice as a junior and senior in basketball...Finished his career earning four letters in football and basket-ball and two in track (shot put, hurdles, 1,600-meter relay)...Played in numerous all-star games in football and basketball, including the inaugural National High School All-Star game in Highland, Texas...Graduated with a 3.2 grade point average.

Not that his High School stats mean anything but I get tired of what a few people keep saying, they think because they say it that it must be true.

Moved into the starting lineup in 2002, setting school season-records with 3,313 yards and 25 touchdowns passing, topping the previous marks of 3,053 yards by Jonathan Smith in 1999 and 20 scoring strikes by Smith in 2000. He completed 47.0% of his passes (211 of 449) with thirteen interceptions that season, but was sacked 25 times and had nine fumbles...Broke his own school record and had the second-best season in Pac-10 Conference annals when he threw for 4,058 yards in 2003 (record held by Washington's Cody Pickett, who threw for 4,458 yards in 2002)...Connected on 261 of 510 passes (51.2%) with 24 touchdowns as a junior, but also set a school record and tied a conference mark with 24 interceptions, sharing those dubious Pac-10 honors with Dan Fouts of Oregon (1970), Ty Paine of Washington State (1970) and Chris Rowland of Washington (1973)...Extended his consecutive starts string to 38 in 2004, completing 279 of 515 passes (54.2%) for 3,615 yards, 29 touchdowns and 17 interceptions...One of only six Pac-10 quarterbacks to pass for in excess of 10,000 yards joining Carson Palmer (Southern California), Steve Stenstrom (Stanford), Cade McNown (UCLA), Cody Pickett (Washington) and Andrew Walter (Arizona State)...For his career, Anderson completed 768 of 1,515 passes (50.7%) for 11,249 yards, 79 touchdowns and 57 interceptions, breaking the old school career-records of 9,680 yards and 55 scores by Jonathan Smith (1998-2001)...Only Erik Wilhelm (870, 1985-88) had more pass completions in OSU annals and Derek's 57 interceptions are surpassed only by Wilhelm's 61 on the school and Pac-10 all-time record list...His 10,716 yards in total offense broke Smith's previous school record of 9,680.

This does illustrate more what you say in that he has a big arm but IS turnover prone. Not that many of you have probably watched many of DAs College games but he usually had only one good receiver a year to throw too and a horrible offensive line. But, he DID and DOES tend to lock on to a receiver and has never been good at checking down. He was asked to carry the team, even when Steven Jackson was their.

Most of you are use to the OSU in Ohio, where you have a winning tradition. Oregon State has only recently began winning (not to the level of Ohio State most certainly, but we can beat USC) and Derrick Anderson was one of the main reasons for this turn around. So, he really does have a fearless "it" factor. It is not like he was QBing a storied college program, he was Qbing one of the worst college programs in history (until the last 12 years) and helped to make it into a program that now wins 9 or 10 games every year.

So, all and all I think DA has had a pretty decent career. If you think about it, he lead a Browns team in his first year of starting to a 10 and 6 record (10 - 5 in his starts). When was the last time that has happened? I know he was helped by the schedule and the "Cockpit". And I know he did not play great the second half of the year, but how many first year starters do? as far as last year goes, what was the Browns record for his starts? 3 - 5? not great but most certainly as good as BQ's starts 1 - 2. He played a great game against the Giants and 2 other good games(not great good) and a few average games and of course a few BAD games. He had a good game going against Dallas until the great BE dropped a wide open TD pass in the middle of the field that changed the momentum of the game. Again against the ravens 2, BE dropped a pass that changed the whole game.

DA has issues, is not perfect and will always throw allot of ints. But, at his age I have no doubt that somebody will trade for him, and if it is the right team (Vikings or Niners) then I think he will be successful.

As far as BQ goes, this will be his first year of starting. he has 3 starts under his belt. he has a new OC. Age 24. Sound familiar? Well I most certainly expect 29 tds, 3900 yards and 10 wins out of him at the very least. And no second half lull after the DCs adjust to him and his style. And I hope he does it.

Good luck to DA in his new home and good luck to BQ.

I would think a shrewd GM would think the waters are kinda frothy around Matt Cassel right now ... I think DA's value increases as the off-season goes on. Personally, I hope we keep him.

Derek Anderson: First year as a Starter

2007, Age: 24

Team's record previous season: 4-12

Record with Anderson starting: 10-5

Zombo

--Wait ... why do we hate this guy again?

The BIGGEST problem I have with DA, which isn't necessarily HIS fault, is we made a DRAFT commitment to Quinn which was why we didn't have a first round pick in 2008. That said, we've decided to overcommit to a QB that was 0-3 in his first 3 NFL starts prior to our immensely perceived need to trade backup into round 1 to add Quinn. It was overwhelming confusion to the GM, Head Coach, 2 QBs, OC, entire offense and fanbase.

On Christmas Eve of 2006 DA threw 4 atrocious INTs to the about-to-be 4-12 TB Bucs. 365 days later, which was also about 6 weeks after our QB Cinderella story hit midnight - DA threw the same 4 INTs vrs the same type of shit team in Cincy. That's not growth from experience. In fact, it was regression from overwhelmance to the demands of justifying the ability to KEEP a starting job. 2008 wasn't any different. Therefore, why inhibit the growth process of the guy we felt strongly compelled to draft in round 1 for the theory that the guy we got for the exchange value of a bag of potato chips and a stale Coke?

A HUGE problem is DA's agent AND DA think he's a starting QB and anything else means he doesn't want to be here as our happy-go-lucky backup with a great attitude. That slammed home when DA whined the Cleveland fans don't want me here as their starter instead of admitting he needed to play like a well paid starter. If you don't WANT to hear fans wanting another QB starting; then play like you did the first 7 starts of 2007 if you claim you're good enough. I'm SOOOOOO sick of excuses for our starting QBs every freakin year. We just saw 2 rookie QBs good enough to elevate teams that were between 3-13 and 5-11 in 2007. What if Atlanta felt compelled to stay with Joey harrington because they petrified of Ryan's inexperience? When I saw our 3 Qbs in the 2007 preseason, my question was WHY did Dumb Ass and Charlie struggle to combine for just 1 TD pass in 4 games while the guy with the least training camp reps threw 3 TD passes in just 1 preseason game?

If Rex Ryan is the smart defensive coach I perceive him to be - he's smart enough to remember his defense took 4 DA passes to the end zone in 2008. Understanding this, I think the NY Jet rumors sell his intellect a little short doesn't anyone else?

I just don't think it's healthy to have Quinn vrs a guy that feels he's a capable starter here for us at the same age. I'd rather have us bring in a Chris Simms who's comfortable being a backup and he wouldn't clobber our cap like DA will. One QB costs us money and the other cost us a 1st round pick. If neither is going to be exceptional, we don't have enough room for both. It may not be fair but when have things been fair since the day we lost our team?

I didn't see an offense buying into DA. I remembered in 2007 when we played SF and Brady Quinn came into the huddle after DA dinged his hand - Shaffer and Tucker gave each other a high 5. I know someone else had to see that besides me. Why would you suppose they'd do something like that if the team bought into DA? That miserable outing the week before in Cincy wasn't like our Oline wasn't doing the job in the trenches. We rushed for almost 150 yards at Cincy and we had the ball inside their 28 yard line on 5 different occasions where we didn't get a single point. As an olinemen, you're PISSED that busting your tail ain't leading to points. This was especially so because everytime our running game got us inside the red zone - Dumb Ass was playing Santa Claus to the Cincy D. The high 5 among linemen was the very next game so it certainly made sense. I think DA had an early INT in that one too while Quinn's first drive went for points. Guys seemed shocked passes were hitting their hands in stride so we had 2-3 dropped passes. Now when they dropped Quinn's passes - I diodn't have to hear the peanut vendors were too loud for us to come away with points. We scored them.

If we NEVER drafted Quinn - I'd almost understand the rationale to fight for DA but I'd have to see progress instead of regression. Poor Lummy hasn't slept since he heard Vick is getting out of jail. Obviously, it's a good thing they waited until after Valentine's Day to announce that one.

- Tom F.

DA was riding pine his second year in the NFL. So I can only guess you are talking about his game against IND this year, his 4th in the NFL (yet still as inaccurate as he was in HS), where he posted a 71QBR, going 16 for 26, 110 yards, with 3 sacks, no TDs, and no INTs. Yup, he played like a champ. That is a Charlie Frye game. Heck, Frye had games better than that against PIT. Maybe you didn't actually watch the IND game this season (or look at the box score). CLE was in that game thanks to the D showing up that week. DA did nothing with that great D performance. While facing a IND D that was missing Sanders and Freeney. Well DA did do one thing in that game to help a win, he fumbled the ball that resulted in IND's TD.

semantics. DA managed a great game considering what was going on around him. i don't know how well you read people, but i feel i read them pretty well. i stand behind all i said.

How can the two most important QB stats NOT be the best criteria to judge a QB?

So, no, I won't cyber-bet on something so broad as "if DA gets to start again or not".

I WANT DA to get to start again. I WANT another team to give us draft picks because we are morons and they can fix him. I don't want to bet against DA starting at all!

I mean, after all, he's 24, with NFL starting experience and a huge arm and obviously his past performance was affected by the poor seasons of the players around him. Guys like DA don't just come around that often, so teams better come take advantage of the Browns' stupidity.

At least that's what ManKok should be selling everyone darn second to every team that wants a QB.

Those of us who have watched him know that he won't break a 90 passer rating and be above .500 as a starter for his career which is why I don't blame you for not betting on him making those milestones.

apologies for the delay. this site is a luxury anymore.

how?

you can't measure shit w/ those stats.

pity. it could've been a Browns Board milestone.

Didn't we all see what happened when we had to play real NFL teams? DA flourished in three or four games in 2007 against awful football teams. Take out those three games and he's been a pedestrian QB at best in his FOUR years in the NFL.

Forget Quinn. Ask yourself if you think DA's total body of work warrants a commitment to him as our long term starter. I wouldn't make that bet. Hell, if you hate Quinn then let's draft Sanchez.

why is it always about Quinn w/ you?

Ask yourself if you think DA's total body of work warrants a commitment to him as our long term starter.

long term? this was rhetorical, right?

for the record, obviously not. but why so extreme?

it's as simple as this: would you try him again on a short leash if others failed?

it's fine to move on and turn the page. the guy has upside imho. that's what i'm saying.

DA gets rid of the ball fast, but I happen to have a problem with it and always have. Yeah, it's great not taking as many sacks, but when you chuck it at the first sign of pressure before a receiver cuts it doesn't matter. I also like my QB to be able to be able to occasionally buy some time. Don't have to worry about that with DA, he's just going to fling it the second someone gets close, regardless if someone is open or not.

He lacks the intangibles of quick release guys like Marino. He's more in the Jeff George vein.

the Browns left a ton of plays on the field that were catchable. big plays. 3rd downs. we weren't in the booth to hear Chud's calls. they call a play, you run it. they're open, cool if not next. he'll buy time w/ more experience, obviously.

if he develops further it was time well spent.

"would think a shrewd GM would think the waters are kinda frothy around Matt Cassel right now ... I think DA's value increases as the off-season goes on. Personally, I hope we keep him.

Derek Anderson: First year as a Starter

2007, Age: 24

Team's record previous season: 4-12

Record with Anderson starting: 10-5

Zombo

--Wait ... why do we hate this guy again?"

Exactly my feelings. I sense a genuine dislike for Anderson in this Forum. Why is that? I understand he didn't perform up to expectations last year, but some of the comments in here are off the wall. Why all the love for Quinn? He didn't perform good at all in the few starts he had before he hurt his finger. I still think the expectations of Quinn being a great QB are nonsense. I would rather start Anderson and trade Quinn. However, I think we would get a higher draft pick for Anderson. If I recall correctly, no one wanted Quinn in the Draft.

as a pretty new Browns fan, it's interesting to hear all the QB frustration.

We've got two decent Qb's. not many teams in the league can claim that.

We don't have turds like Losman or Grossman. Be thankful.

there are two decent-potential QB's on the roster, and it's a gamble either way.

One can play medicore football with the "next great thing" sitting on the bench

or you can trade "the next great thing" away on a crap shoot of free agents or draft picks.

either way, nothings a sure thing and it's going to be a gamble.

okay. on with the bickering.

[Exactly my feelings. I sense a genuine dislike for Anderson in this Forum. Why is that? I understand he didn't perform up to expectations last year, but some of the comments in here are off the wall

- lobstrocity

In Atlanta, it's not that everyone HATES Joey Harrington - it's just that they understand WHY they needed to draft a QB in the first round. Dallas fans actually wanted Steve Walsh to START over the Troy Aikman they were booing. If BOTH Dallas and Atlanta kept farting around with the COMFORT of sitting QB's of lesser experience - they would have never ALLOWED themselves to see WHAT they drafted and WHY they drafted them. When I'm watching 4 DA passes intercepted for TDs vrs the Ratbirds in 2008 or seeing 4 INTs vrs a Cincy D in 2007, it's time to see the 1st round alternative we were so compelled to trade up for.

I think the hostility you see is why move heaven and earth to acquire 1 guy in the draft if you're only going to promote a guy you weren't happy with in the first place? Didn't make sense. This is where you need your Head Coach and GM on the same wavelength. Savage and RAC weren't even on the same planet soetimes and it was frustrating.

Nobody REALLY hates DA - you just need to be around enough to know Loverboy Lummy invites some ballbusting about the QB from his alma mater. He loves to get all Cupid for the QB Gone Stupid.

- Tom F. (You might be a Redneck if you're the guy with the Orange Helmet throwing the ball to the player in the purple helmet because he said "I'm open." Then again, you might be Santa Claus too!)

Exactly my feelings. I sense a genuine dislike for Anderson in this Forum. Why is that? I understand he didn't perform up to expectations last year, but some of the comments in here are off the wall. Why all the love for Quinn? He didn't perform good at all in the few starts he had before he hurt his finger. I still think the expectations of Quinn being a great QB are nonsense. I would rather start Anderson and trade Quinn. However, I think we would get a higher draft pick for Anderson. If I recall correctly, no one wanted Quinn in the Draft.

Do you even know what the xxxx you're talking about? How does ONE start, where he had a QBR OVER 100, on 2 days practice turn into "the few starts he had before he hurt his finger"? He busted his finger in the 1st quarter of the next game.

You DA lovers really know how to distort the facts!

Archived