THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers think olinemen are a dime a dozen?

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

I think this move would beg to differ with the theory that great teams think Olinemen are a dime a dozen

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-s...p&type=lgns

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Offensive tackle Max Starks was designated as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ franchise player on Thursday, the second successive year they have retained the two-time Super Bowl starter by placing a tag on him.

Starks made $6.9 million last year as a transition player, although he didn’t begin the season as a starter. He ended up starting 11 games at left tackle after Marvel Smith was injured.

“We were happy we had Max Starks available to us when he was needed,” Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. “We were fortunate that he was still here because he gave us an experienced guy who had played as a starter in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl.”

Starks was the Steelers’ right tackle when they won the Super Bowl during the 2005 season.

By being designated as a franchise player, Starks will make $15.35 million over the 2008 and 2009 seasons, unless he agrees to a long-term deal— considerable money for Pittsburgh to pay a player who didn’t make their lineup at the start of last season.

Starks must make $8.451 million in 2009, the average of the NFL’s top five offensive linemen last season.

Another team could sign Starks because he is designated as non-exclusive, but that team would owe the Steelers a pair of first-round draft picks.

come on RICH.. this one is beggin for ya.

I know the game no time to bother with neophytes who have no clue.......the Stillers get it.........da Browns don't simple as that.........

OL remains dime a dozen...........oh my witout Faneca the Stillers get killed oops won the bowl and wit Faneca the Jets kick ass oops fired de coach.........'

and oops we hired him

someday the observer brain dead fan will get it.........

until then I remain correctomundo.............nearly 100%.................enjoy second guessing the best

no wait we got joe thomas leading us to a 4-12 record OL rocks

Rich... you are nothing but 'hindsight is 20/20." You don't have a clue about the details of why Pittsburgh wins, Cleveland doesn't, or any other franchise. Nor do you have the first clue about what being a true, loyal fan is.

It just goes to show, you DRAFT and DEVELOP your oline. Most of the time you get one in the FA market it's because he's over the hill or about to get way overpaid for an average performance. *cough*Shaffer*cough*

The problem with developing guys is that you need to give them time on the bench, and when you're a bad team you're more likely to overpay for an average guy that can help now that a diamond in the rough you're going to have to shape with quality coaching and veteran advice over the next 3 seasons.

I think this move would beg to differ with the theory that great teams think Olinemen are a dime a dozen

That said, if there's a RARE Orlando Pace or Joe Thomas on your doorstep - you cannot pretend you can do better later. Keyword in that sentence was "rare." Unfortunately, when there isn't a Pace or Thomas - it seems like they want to invent one for every draft the way they TRIED to do so with Robert Gallery. He looked like he had clumsy feet and benefitted from learning from our former Oline Coach Kirk Ferentz. Gallery has actually transitioned into a decent Offensive Guard.

Has anyone seen Andre Smith play? He just put his Nikes in his mouth saying he just started working out. However, as Gruden says there's a team at #10 saying let this kid fall to us.

Masters, when I saw you arguing that NFL linemen are NOT just a dime a dozen - I couldn't wait to piggy back in there and remind people that BOTH of Carolina's OTs were first round selections just like BOTH of their RBs were. Otah was a freakin beast and Jordan Gross has been pretty rock solid. The formula was once pretty good in Minnesota with Stringer and Steussie on the bookends.

No MATTER what position the pick is - you just gota hope he's the RIGHT guy. We thought Courtney Brown was Bruce Smith at a time we didn't know our Jamir Miller would actually make a BETTER Bruce Smith than the kid we went #1 overall on. That was quietly the BEST new millenium problem-solve I've seen on our defense before Shaun Rogers. The Jamir effect enable a previous team of 5-27 to actually lead the conference in INTs in 2001. I try envision, what Jamir's presence might have meant to our 2002 post season begging for just 1 big play on defense. It's amazing 1 achilles injury meant to our path/fate.

As a fan, I pretend I know all there is to know about guys and yet I'm wrong more than MOST people in here. For example, some of the guys I thought we landed as the biggest steals were William Green in the middle of round one and Lawyer Tillman in round 2. However, in 2000 - me and Zombo setup Camp Arrington on our message board at the time because we wanted a man basterd over a guy with field manners. I remembered pre-draft saying Florida's Alex Brown will be a better DE in the next draft. He's still pretty good in Chicago while Courtney Brown is still just a NICE young man that didn't have the killer instinct for the pro game. Courtney mastered the olay (1 gap) thing which made him STRONGER against the backside run than when it came right at him. The Michigan matchup he had in college reminded me of the Gumbo Elliott vrs Bruce Smith matchup. They ran RIGHT at him instead of allowing him to be a monster coming from the backside. THAT was what made me swim against the current on Brown fair or not. Michigan represented what I felt was the closest type of tackle he'd face in the pros (next to OSU).

These guys like Maybin that are snap count anticipaters scare the crap out of me. I'd rather trade down and get a Clay Matthews. I haven't seen enough of Ev Brown to be fair. Although I HATE it when I see a highlight of him against a scheme that didn't even TRY to block him thinking he was too dumb for misdirection/playaction. I saw 1 Youtube clip of him and he clobbered someone for a loss vrs a scheme that tried to trick him with misdirection. Of course he's gonna make the tackle for a loss. They didn't even pull a backside Guard to try to block him like bootleg and waggle rollouts often do. Alot of people see that play and think he's perfect for the NFL. Ask Wimbley how much more frequently he's been BLOCKED since leaving the ACC. Ask Gholston. Ask Courtney Brown.

- Tom F. (JD's idea of tradedown is intriguing as Hell if we can't get our x-factor LBer at #5)

Archived