THE BROWNS BOARD

Free speech or not?

I guess the Frat is covered by, "Free Speech" but - at the same time, I believe the school has it within its rights to rebuke, de-certify, etc.

I expect the school would take similar actions against all such speech / talk within its scope of responsibility.

I'd have a problem if they were arrested for "Hate Speech" or negatively impacting certain civil rights.

Sounds like the Frat - like a lot of them - is filled with drunken asspoles. Their actions were crude and unbalanced, IMHO.

Their parents should be ashamed. I bet they are.

You can't fix, "Stupid".

Fuck feats first of all. Greek life in general.

Second, this is borderline free speech / hate speech. Mostly just racist douchebags. Either way, it doesn't matter because they aren't free from consequence. I see nothing wrong if they get expelled.

Second, this is borderline free speech / hate speech. Mostly just racist douchebags. Either way, it doesn't matter because they aren't free from consequence. I see nothing wrong if they get expelled.

Expelled?

Tuition refunded? Should they be allowed to enroll in another school? How about jail time?

WSS

Meanwhile while we're all up in arms about the nasty frat saying mean hurtful things a dozen blacks attacked the manager and staff of Chuck e cheese in Parma because a game didn't work.

Gee I wonder why racism still exists.

Right, so fuck those kids for what they did. Their race is irrelevant...

Expelled?

Tuition refunded? Should they be allowed to enroll in another school? How about jail time?

WSS

I see no reason for a refund. Whatever is normally done in cases of expulsion. If they go that route.

I think jail time is excessive. In the end I don't think they were trying to set back civil right. I think they're just a bunch of racist, dumbass, frat douchebags

Expelled?

WSS

No, No, No, No.... what should happen is happening the national Fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon closed the location since they did not want to be associated with the group. Sure its free speech but you are also on a Frat sponsored trip that represents that Frat.

"In addition, all of the members have been suspended (from the organization), and those members who are responsible for the incident may have their membership privileges revoked permanently," the national organization said in a statement. "We apologize for the unacceptable and racist behavior of the individuals in the video, and we are disgusted that any member would act in such a way. Furthermore, we are embarrassed by this video and offer our empathy not only to anyone outside the organization who is offended but also to our brothers who come from a wide range of backgrounds, cultures and ethnicities." - National SAE president Brad Cohen - http://www.koco.com/news/ou-investigates-video-reportedly-showing-fraternity-singing-racist-chant/31686542

Woody is an absolute cunt.

He's somebody who wants people fired for their words that were unknowlingly filmed yet he would never release his own personal information or texts.

Anything can be considered abusive or hate filled (even your rebuttal) so does that mean you should be fired/expelled/and not get your money back.

Fuck Liberal Cunt you need your molars removed with a tire iron

Meanwhile while we're all up in arms about the nasty frat saying mean hurtful things a dozen blacks attacked the manager and staff of Chuck e cheese in Parma because a game didn't work.

Gee I wonder why racism still exists.

Phony Liberal Outrage is America's #1 export

They should be expelled for something offensive?

Then everyone should be expelled by this logic you fucking cunt

It's not irrelevant. and fuck the fraternity, but a lot of people in college do things they're not proud of later.They're bound to find that out the hard way.

How are the Parma kids' races relevant exactly?

And yes, those guys will regret being douchebags. They probably already are

I thought all the young people were different from us old fucks.

I don't believe I speak in sweeping generalizations like some on here. I would be willing to bet that type of attitude isn't the majority for this age and it becomes more common in older groups.

Woody is an absolute cunt.

He's somebody who wants people fired for their words that were unknowlingly filmed yet he would never release his own personal information or texts.

Anything can be considered abusive or hate filled (even your rebuttal) so does that mean you should be fired/expelled/and not get your money back.

Fuck Liberal Cunt you need your molars removed with a tire iron

No where in my texts or personal information would you see something similar to racist chants...

Idc if it was unknowingly filmed. I'm not even calling for people in past cases to be fired or these kids yo be expelled. I'm just saying its complete within the right of the company /school and I completely see why they would do that.

If I went around spouting harsh words about frats, and my company didn't want that bad press, they are within their right to remove me. Of course, the offense to what I'm saying wouldn't be as universal. I'm also only doing this on a forum, not in person.

I would assume that there is an African American fraternity on that campus.

I would also assume that during at least a few, if not all, of the parties drinking and hip hop music are featured. I would also assume that said hip hop music included at least some hardcore gangsta rap concerning de white man or de po-lice and references to raping bitches and hoes.

If someone were to have video from a hidden smartphone should that fraternity lose its representation and its members expelled?

(I have seen no such hidden video tape but I would bet a year's salary those situations have happened if, in fact, there is a black fraternity that has parties)

WSS

1) that music wouldn't be limited to a black fraternity

2) if the school felt it made them look bad by having students listen to rap.... Then sure...

3) now if a group of black students were caught on video chanting bad shit about whitey, then yes, I'd be for a similar response.

Why are people outraged over racist chants and white cops shooting black teens when blacks kill each other at a rate of 293471983714982743198427398417238941723894731249217483247892347198347389714793871482397489127439814782934718923741374391478931747389247312947381947893471394873178924897347013274379814893247321984371473

times more than whites?

1) that music wouldn't be limited to a black fraternity

> you are correct. But I'd call it hate speech. If we decide to make it illegal. which is a slippery slope. <

2) if the school felt it made them look bad by having students listen to rap.... Then sure...

> true again. But I doubt they'd have the balls to attack black culture.<

3) now if a group of black students were caught on video chanting bad shit about whitey, then yes, I'd be for a similar response.

> Well I'd be very surprised if that were the response whether or not you would support it. And we have heard some pretty outrageous Black Panther professors being invited to speak on college campuses. I can't recall a Klansman taking the stage.<

Still fucking up someone's life or career because they said something that bothered you is bullshit in my opinion.

WS

If there is a conduct code that incorporates racist speech, they would be rightly expelled. You could make the argument it is free speech but they could also attend another school who doesn't frown on free speech of any kind.

The school should just let people protest and let the media/public opinion do the punishing for them.

Still fucking up someone's life or career because they said something that bothered you is bullshit in my opinion.

WS

It is not just because is bothered me, or someone else. It is because it makes the university look like shit. Oklahoma doesn't want to be known as the school that does nothing to racist asshole frats. That's terrible publicity.

Also, like Logic said, they have the freedom to go somewhere else. They also have the freedom to not be racist douchebags in the first place

It is not just because is bothered me, or someone else. It is because it makes the university look like shit. Oklahoma doesn't want to be known as the school that does nothing to racist asshole frats. That's terrible publicity.

Also, like Logic said, they have the freedom to go somewhere else. They also have the freedom to not be racist douchebags in the first place

But banning the American flag, canceling charity events, painting your face, and micro aggression are all culturally insensitive and should not be tolerated?

Gotcha ya fucking fuck

Free to go somewhere else. Like homosexuals are free to go to another bakery, something like that?

At some point it looks like we'll have to admit that freedom of speech has gone the way of the right to bear arms. something we thought was a good idea a couple hundred years ago but not today. If you aren't free to say offensive things you aren't free. Probably not worth living in a bunker in Montana but makes bragging about your freedoms a little silly.

WSS

Of course we still have freedom of speech and the right to bear arms. Any other notion is silly. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence (for the hundredth time)

It's kind of hard to flip the script from discriminatee to discriminator here.

The OU students had the ability to go to that school, and (potentially) blew it. The gay couple never had the ability to go to that bakery.

The OU students are actively discriminating a group of people. The gay couple is being discriminated against.

The OU students made a choice to be racist douchebags. The gay couple was born gay.

It's not intolerant to not tolerate intolerance. If you want to believe all gays or blacks are inferior, no one can stop you. But if you're actively affecting their lives, its not a freedom of speech thing anymore.

Of course we still have freedom of speech and the right to bear arms. Any other notion is silly. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence (for the hundredth time)

It's kind of hard to flip the script from discriminatee to discriminator here.

The OU students had the ability to go to that school, and (potentially) blew it. The gay couple never had the ability to go to that bakery.

The OU students are actively discriminating a group of people. The gay couple is being discriminated against.

The OU students made a choice to be racist douchebags. The gay couple was born gay.

It's not intolerant to not tolerate intolerance. If you want to believe all gays or blacks are inferior, no one can stop you. But if you're actively affecting their lives, its not a freedom of speech thing anymore.

How exactly is a bunch of morons cheering on a bus directly affecting anyones life?

How exactly is a bunch of morons cheering on a bus directly affecting anyones life?

It becomes a problem when the school is having to deal with a PR disaster and the potential of lost potential students, athletic recruits, and money due to having to deal with the fallout from the video.

We could make a commentary on how people react to the media cycle. But we can't deny that the school will see some financial damage, even if temporary.

Archived