THE BROWNS BOARD

Detroit on the clock

heckofajobbrownie

I have this sneaking suspicion that they're not taking Stafford, that both top QBs are going to slide, and that Aaron Curry may go #1.

Let me lay it out:

- Stafford isn't Matt Ryan. The only thing he's got on Ryan is a better arm. He's a reach at #1. Junior QBs have a tough history in the NFL.

- There's great tackle depth in the draft and there's no need to take one at #1, nor do any of these guys carry a grade like Long or Thomas. They're all a step below that.

- The Lions can deal their #20 pick for a QB like Cassel, or their #33 for a QB like Anderson. Neither is a top QB, but both are known qualities. Cassel has upside.

- The remaining pick could be used on a tackle, say the #20 on someone like Oher, or the #33 on someone like Ebon Britton or William Beatty.

I just have this feeling that the big story of this draft is going to be how Stafford and Sanchez slide.

I have this sneaking suspicion that they're not taking Stafford, that both top QBs are going to slide, and that Aaron Curry may go #1.

Let me lay it out:

- Stafford isn't Matt Ryan. The only thing he's got on Ryan is a better arm. He's a reach at #1. Junior QBs have a tough history in the NFL.

- There's great tackle depth in the draft and there's no need to take one at #1, nor do any of these guys carry a grade like Long or Thomas. They're all a step below that.

- The Lions can deal their #20 pick for a QB like Cassel, or their #33 for a QB like Anderson. Neither is a top QB, but both are known qualities. Cassel has upside.

- The remaining pick could be used on a tackle, say the #20 on someone like Oher, or the #33 on someone like Ebon Britton or William Beatty.

I just have this feeling that the big story of this draft is going to be how Stafford and Sanchez slide.

I agree with you but if they don't go with Stafford I think the have to go with a franchise type OT.

Also, I think it's very rare for LB's to ever go #1 overall.

Jeff Backus has already said the Lions have asked him to move from left tackle to guard, which makes it obvious they are planning on picking up an OT. The only real viable place is the draft. They could reach for one with a later pick but that doesn't make sense with the new OC they have. Scott Linehan is a very run oriented guy. He loves to dominate up front in the run game.

Guest Aloysius

From what I read, the Lions asked Backus if he thought he could make the switch; they haven't told him he'll be playing LG.

This makes Curry sound like a real possibility:

Schwartz said he looked at Curry before coming to Indianapolis and thinks Curry is unique -- big, strong, athletic and able to fit in a lot of places.

"He played (on the strong side), but it was interesting at Wake, he played an on-the-ball (strong-side) linebacker, which not many people play anymore," Schwartz said. "You have to be really strong to be able to do that. ...

"But they put him out in space, almost like a nickel back. Those are two almost sort of mutually exclusive skill sets. The fact that they had trusted him to do both, that spoke a lot about him."

Curry could be the Keith Bulluck of Detroit's defense.

From what I read, the Lions asked Backus if he thought he could make the switch; they haven't told him he'll be playing LG.

This makes Curry sound like a real possibility:

Curry could be the Keith Bulluck of Detroit's defense.

There isn't anything there that shows interest in Curry at #1. That is the kind of statements coaches make by the hundreds when talking about big time players.

They won't go LB with a #1 overall pick. It isn't going to happen. I think in the last 20 years there has only been two players taken #1 that wasn't an interior lineman or a Qb.

Backus moving to Guard is a done deal. He's been less than stellar the last couple years at LT.

In Detroit they like to call him "Sackus" lol!

Guest Aloysius
Backus moving to Guard is a done deal. He's been less than stellar the last couple years at LT.

In Detroit they like to call him "Sackus" lol!

I wouldn't be so confident that moving a mediocre finesse left tackle inside to guard is a good idea, or something that the Lions are absolutely committed to doing.

I agree that it would be odd to take a LB #1. I'm just saying I'd rather a sure thing when I'm spending $35 million, and I don't think Stafford or Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe is that.

I'm not so sure it is either.

I like Curry as well as those guys. I'm just going by the NFL's history. All the franchises really seem to be creatures of habit and they all love having that dominating left tackle or QB. But just as you said, I'm not sure Eugene Monroe is worth that #1 pick. Andre Smith is certainly not now. He may be lucky to see the 1st round.

I don't think Monroe or Ohler or any of the top OT's in this draft are Jake long or Joe Thomas.

I checked... Those two #1 overall picks that were not interior linemen or Qb's were Keyshawn Johnson and K'jahna Carter.

You make a good point. But I just don't think NFL franchises are ready to pay a LB that kind of money. They certainly haven't wanted to in the last 20 years.

I wouldn't be so confident that moving a mediocre finesse left tackle inside to guard is a good idea, or something that the Lions are absolutely committed to doing.

The great OT Lomas brown doesn't think it's a bad idea. Brown is quoted as saying That Backus is a more prototypical guard.

It's a well known fact in the NFL that moving from the outside to the inside is much easier than the other way around. Mayhew asked Backus about it and Mayhew has claimed Jeff told him he'd have no problem with it. The great Lomas brown said Backus should be playing guard and finally the fans, who call Backus 'Sackus', are wanting it.

Mayhew has also said the Lions are not going sign any pricey FA's.

All points that Backus is on the move and they are drafting an OT.

Guest Aloysius

Well, the great Alo thinks it's something that's subject to debate.

There have been rumblings out of Detroit that Backus isn't strong enough to play guard, and new OC Scott Linehan liked what he saw of Backus on film. Linehan also said that the Lions would be moving away from the zone blocking scheme they used last year, which would seem to make Backus a poorer fit for playing LG.

I agree that OT is a position of need for the Lions, but I don't think the reports that Backus may kick inside to guard absolutely necessitate they draft an OT with the first pick. Like Heck said, they could draft someone like Michael Oher or Eben Britton at 20.

There have been rumblings out of Detroit that Backus isn't strong enough to play guard, and new OC Scott Linehan liked what he saw of Backus on film. Linehan also said that the Lions would be moving away from the zone blocking scheme they used last year, which would seem to make Backus a poorer fit for playing LG.

I agree that OT is a position of need for the Lions, but I don't think the reports that Backus may kick inside to guard absolutely necessitate they draft an OT with the first pick. Like Heck said, they could draft someone like Michael Oher or Eben Britton at 20.

That's similar to what Dimitroff did in Atl last year when they went QB first and OT later in the round. Worked out REAL good.

- Tom F.

Yep, there's a lot of smoke being laid down these days. I don't make much out of what any coach or GM says publicly between the Shrine Game and Draft Day.

I will say this: I wouldn't want to be where the Lions are right now. I wouldn't want that first pick this year, with their needs. There's almost certain to overpay.

Also, can anyone tell me he last good QB to come out of Georgia? Has Mark Richt ever produced a NFL QB?

From Schwartz concerning having the #1 overall pick;

"I compare it to playing Black Jack. If you are playing the $5 table and make a bunch of bad decisions you lose $100 and have a lot of fun. If you play at the $5,000 table and make a bad decision you're walking, not flying home. You have to take this into the equation. You have an opportunity to get a great player, you have to be sure"

Sounds like a guy that is not going to gamble with that #1 overall.

Let's look a the recent history of 1st round OT's.

There have been 16 1st round picks projected at left tackle since 2000. Of those 16 only three have been real bust. One of those three were Robert Gallery who has turned himself into a solid guard. Of the other 13, 12 are with their original team.

One more Schwartz quote;

"Look at how many good free agent left tackles you see. There aren't any. Your only path is through the draft"

Schwartz may go OT with #20. But you have to remember with each pick farther down the line Schwartz is going to view it as a larger and larger gamble. Also remember that Schwartz is a defensive coach and Detroit was LAST in total defense....And they were really, really bad against the run.

This tells me he won't go offense with both first round picks. Drafting Stafford and then an OT? No way.

He doesn't want to gamble with the #1 overall pick and history shows us the success of OT's picked high.

I think they go Left tackle with that first pick and a player that will help stop the bleeding against the run on the #20 pick.

It could be Raji or Rey or Cushing or Jackson or English. But I think Schwartz will not gamble on not doing something about that defense with two picks in round 1

I am firmly in the OT at #1 camp for the Lions. I just think that the difference between the top 4 (which may all be gone by #20) and the next group is too big. Also...the difference between the top LB's and what can be had at #20 ISN'T very big...you may be able to get Cushing or somebody of that calibre...

and with the comments about the QB's coming out of the combine....DA isn't much different than what they think Stafford is (or Cassel for that matter)....so a #33 makes a lot more sense than a #1 there.

I see Detroit going...

#1 - LT

#20 - LB

#33 - traded for QB

...as a VERY possible scenario.

I am firmly in the OT at #1 camp for the Lions. I just think that the difference between the top 4 (which may all be gone by #20) and the next group is too big. Also...the difference between the top LB's and what can be had at #20 ISN'T very big...you may be able to get Cushing or somebody of that calibre...

That's a great point.

Do you lose much, if anything, by drafting Rey, Cushing, Laurinaitis, etc. around #20 compared to drafting Curry at #1 thru 5? I don't think so.

I agree that it would be odd to take a LB #1. I'm just saying I'd rather a sure thing when I'm spending $35 million, and I don't think Stafford or Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe is that.

Just from a money standpoint, a qb always gets a premium.....it lifts everything else....I know the league hope a backer or lineman is taken first.

Guest Aloysius

The Lions had a very long meeting yesterday with Everette Brown. There's a sense that the #1 pick could go in any of three or four directions.

If Stafford has a poor pro day workout, word is that the Lions may turn to Aaron Curry, though OT is also a major possibility.

Lets compare what the lions have done the past 15 years with there first pick.

17. Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston college

02. Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech

09. Ernie Sims, LB Florida State

10. Mike Williams, WR Usc

07. Roy Williams, WR Texas

02. Charles Rogers, WR Michigan State

03. Joey Harrington, QB Oregon

18. Jeff Backus, T Michigan

20. Stockar McDougle, T Oklahoma

09. Chris Claiborne, LB Usc

20. Terry Fair, DB Tennessee

5. Bryant Westbrook, DB Texas

23. Jeff Hartings, G Penn State

20. Luther Elliss, DE Utah

21. Johnnie Morton, WR Usc

The last 15 years the lions have selested an offensive player 10 out of the last 15 times

On defense they have selected (two LB's) (Two DB's) and one DE. in 15 years

On offence they have selected (Three OT's) (five WR's) (one QB) (one Gaurd) in the last 15 years.

If you like going by trends you will say they will select a WR.

But I think they are going to reverse their trend and go with a DE or a LB with the first pick.

But They are the lions and if they picked a WR I would not be at all shocked.

I think you can throw trends out the window.

This is a new regime...and they are going to make the team over in THEIR fashion...not based on any team history.

I think a far more telling stat is the sacks allowed over the past 3 seasons:

2006: 63

2007: 54

2008: 52

That is 169 sacks in just 3 years...and SCREAMS for help on the OL.

Guest Aloysius

I don't think you can abstract the discussion away from the actual prospects Detroit might take at #1.

Which OT should the Lions take? Jason Smith is great, but he may be a better fit for a ZBS. Eugene Monroe may have the highest floor, but there are questions about his effort & smarts. Andre Smith's the kind of dominant run-blocker that Scott Linehan wants, but he's taken himself out of consideration with his antics this weekend.

I'm not sure what direction Detroit will go in. But I could see them picking a guy like Oher at #20, playing him at LG for a year or two until he's ready to move out to tackle. Depending on how Gosder Cherilus develops, they could even move Oher to RT.

I think you can throw trends out the window.

This is a new regime...and they are going to make the team over in THEIR fashion...not based on any team history.

I think a far more telling stat is the sacks allowed over the past 3 seasons:

2006: 63

2007: 54

2008: 52

That is 169 sacks in just 3 years...and SCREAMS for help on the OL.

Who do you think they will take?

I personally don't see that from all that I have been reading the word is the OL are not as good as years past and not to many are worth a first round pick let alone a fisrt overall. I say they go free agency heck maybe even Jeff Saturday at center and start building around him in the latter rounds. That may be a little out there but I don't study the Lions much but you do make a good point about the sacks

I don't think you can abstract the discussion away from the actual prospects Detroit might take at #1.

Which OT should the Lions take? Jason Smith is great, but he may be a better fit for a ZBS. Eugene Monroe may have the highest floor, but there are questions about his effort & smarts. Andre Smith's the kind of dominant run-blocker that Scott Linehan wants, but he's taken himself out of consideration with his antics this weekend.

I'm not sure what direction Detroit will go in. But I could see them picking a guy like Oher at #20, playing him at LG for a year or two until he's ready to move out to tackle. Depending on how Gosder Cherilus develops, they could even move Oher to RT.

Alo...I agree the OT's have been dinged a bit by the media...but I also remember JT being called out for not being strong enough to handle the bull rush before we took him at #3...and look how that turned out.

I am just saying...I am not sure any of these guys are out of the running. When your line is giving up 3+ sacks per game for the past 3 years....you MUST fix it...and the top of the draft is the best way (See Cleveland and Miami).

Yep, there's a lot of smoke being laid down these days. I don't make much out of what any coach or GM says publicly between the Shrine Game and Draft Day.

I will say this: I wouldn't want to be where the Lions are right now. I wouldn't want that first pick this year, with their needs. There's almost certain to overpay.

Also, can anyone tell me he last good QB to come out of Georgia? Has Mark Richt ever produced a NFL QB?

Is David Greene still holding on somewhere? He's the last UGA QB I can think of that even had a cup of coffee in the League.

Archived