THE BROWNS BOARD

Charles Clay visits Browns after Bills

I'm not exactly sure what he would cost us since he was transition tagged... but seems like a good addition to pick up.

Any thoughts?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477860/article/visits-tracker-cj-spiller-to-meet-with-saints

Flip said in an interview he wanted a "F-back" as he called it, much like Marcell Reese in Oakland. Clay would fit that position perfectly, and he is young and talented. I'd pay him more than Cameron right now b/c I think he can do so much more for our team, in terms of versatility... We would need to give him top 5 TE money, but he would probably be worth it, particularly given the state of our offense currently...

I'm not exactly sure what he would cost us since he was transition tagged... but seems like a good addition to pick up.

Any thoughts?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477860/article/visits-tracker-cj-spiller-to-meet-with-saints

• A transition player has received a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

• A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22.

I like him and since he was a FB in college it's easy to see the H-back fit, but not seeing top five TE money here.

Clay just seems tweener-ish to me. Not tall and fast enough to be with the elite TE pass catchers and not big and strong enough to be with the elite, well-rounded TEs.

and, although he has a transition tag, it's looking like Miami is out of $$$$ now....so they probably cant keep him even if they want to

Right, shouldn't be hard to get him to sign a front-loaded contract that they can't pull off after the Suh signing... I hope it works out...

Ah thanks for that explanation Tour.

Seems like a pretty productive player despite his speed and size limitations.

Your welcome... got info from answer.com.

Yeah no slouch, but not elite... Forgot to mention that Clay has a fairly low drop rate at 3.6%... same as Dray.

there are a number of articles relating how bad the dolphins $$$ issues are...but here is a link thats kept up to speed for the most prt...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2015/

I could not tell if that represented the current situation after the last few days of signing or not. Per that it did seem to imply that the Dolphins still had about 6 Million in cap room...third least. Browns had 3rd most.

If Miami is out of money then how are they going to sign Jordan Cameron? I hope Cameron re-signs with the Browns and we draft a big tight end. We still have the most picks of any team. By the way, I read on ESPN that Chip Kelly is not fooling anyone when he says that "a team" offered him a first round pick for Bradford. If anyone team was that interested they would have dealt directly with St. Louis before the trade. So Chip Kelly is up to something. Just hope the Browns aren't foolish enough to trade their two picks for a guy who has only proven his knees are trashed.

If Miami is out of money then how are they going to sign Jordan Cameron? I hope Cameron re-signs with the Browns and we draft a big tight end. We still have the most picks of any team. By the way, I read on ESPN that Chip Kelly is not fooling anyone when he says that "a team" offered him a first round pick for Bradford. If anyone team was that interested they would have dealt directly with St. Louis before the trade. So Chip Kelly is up to something. Just hope the Browns aren't foolish enough to trade their two picks for a guy who has only proven his knees are trashed.

What makes anyone think that we are having any dealings with the Eagles at all?

Just because we are the only team with 2 first rounders? Just because Kelly would like to get his hands on Mariota?

It is not the Browns he needs to deal with for that.

WTF can they give us or WTF can we give them that would net them Mariota.

Besides....Kelly is going all in for a different offense. They just acquired DeMarco Murray.

Miami has enough to basically sign one mid range guy @ $5-6m....which is about what Cameron/Clay could draw....

so, just as an example......we could sign clay to a 3yr - $15 million contract...front loaded ....like this....

year 1 = $ 7million (all guaranteed)....which Miami cant match

year 2 = $ 4 million

year 3 = $ 4 million

so, it's about structuring it right, cause anything over $6 mil and Miami is out......

Miami has enough to basically sign one mid range guy @ $5-6m....which is about what Cameron/Clay could draw....

so, just as an example......we could sign clay to a 3yr - $15 million contract...front loaded ....like this....

year 1 = $ 7million (all guaranteed)....which Miami cant match

year 2 = $ 4 million

year 3 = $ 4 million

so, it's about structuring it right, cause anything over $6 mil and Miami is out......

Is this guy worth that?.....not that I care about the money.....just the effect the money has to the cap and other opportunities.

Is this guy worth that?.....not that I care about the money.....just the effect the money has to the cap and other opportunities.

I think he probably is,....not a 10 mil guy and not a 2 mil guy....bottom line, if he and Cameron are both going to get $5m a year, then Id rather spend my 5 on Clay.......

and, considering our excess funds this year, the front loaded/declining contract will work to our advantage going forward...

I think he probably is,....not a 10 mil guy and not a 2 mil guy....bottom line, if he and Cameron are both going to get $5m a year, then Id rather spend my 5 on Clay.......

and, considering our excess funds this year, the front loaded/declining contract will work to our advantage going forward...

OK, brilliant....that cold knock Miami out of it.....but who else is in the hunt for him?

Pros/Cons Cameron vs. Clay:

Clay about 8 months younger actually than Jordan

What about injury history? Jordan's is an issue, how about Clay?

Clay has had more catches for more yards and more TDs that Cameron....of course Cameron has missed half his games.

Other pros/cons? I am of the belief that the money should be similar.

Cameron saying essentially that he doesn't want to stay......so black mark on him.

What else?

Even though we just inked Cameron, I still wouldn't mind picking up Clay because of Jordan's injury history.

Yes Buffalo it going after Clay after releasing Chandler. My bet is Rex Ryan will win on this one.

Well, now that the Browns actually did lose Cameron, they need to try harder to get Clay.

I would hope the whole embarassment of "we signed JC.....oops, no we didn't" would motivate them to go out and get this guy.

So? Right now we can look at this as a trade between the Browns and Dolphins, Jordan Cameron for Brian Hartline. We took their guy, they took ours.

If that were a trade, would you make it?

(but if we get Clay....we win?)

Well they took the risk of more concussions, but protected themselves with no guaranteed money. We get a guy who may fit better what our O is trying to do eventually. Possession receiver vs occasional hr hitter who more often than not is not even there to play. I'll take that trade any day. History of concussions usually leads to very early retirement. We shall see.

Even if Clay get taken off the board for the Browns there are still a few TEs out there to be had, that may be as worthy as JC was (at least less risky):

Jemaine Gresham

Tony Moeaki

Jacob Tamme

David Ausberry

Though I do think a TE will be taken in the draft. Probably not 1st/2d round but starting in round 3. James, O'Leary, Heuerman are possibles.

Archived