THE BROWNS BOARD

Univision host fired for saying Michelle Obama looks like an ape

Univision host fired for first lady comment says White House complained

By Tom Kludt @tomkludt

Unvision fires anchor for racist comments about First Lady

A Univision host who compared Michelle Obama to characters in the movie "Planet of the Apes" alleged Thursday that he was fired after the network received a complaint from the White House.

Rodner Figueroa, an Emmy Award-winning host and presenter, was fired by the Spanish-language network for remarks he made on-air Wednesday.

Figueroa asserted in a statement released Thursday that Univision was contacted by the first lady's office.

"I was verbally notified that because of a complaint from your office, I was fired," he said in the statement which was addressed to Mrs. Obama.

Figueroa's statement was translated from Spanish by CNN. The first lady's office declined to comment.

A Univision executive denied that the White House called to complain. The executive said Univision reached out to the White House this morning to share its public statement.

In a broadcast on Wednesday, Figueroa said, "Michelle Obama looks like she's part of the cast of 'Planet of the Apes.'" Figueroa made the comments as a photo of the first lady was shown on screen.

But in his statement today, Figueroa said that his comments were intended as a criticism of an unflattering job done by Obama's makeup artist.

"The full video clip in context shows that," he said.

Figueroa referred to his own background in asserting that he's "no racist."

"I come from a biracial Latino family with members like my father who are Afro-Latino," he said.

Figueroa showed contrition, too. He apologized to Obama and said there's "no excuse" to make a comment "that could be interpreted as offensive or racist during these volatile times we're living in."

Figueroa also used the statement to highlight his voting history.

"I openly voted twice for your husband, Barack Obama, because I consider him a great man who respects minorities like me in this country," he said.

Earlier on Thursday, Univision confirmed that Figueroa had been terminated.

"Yesterday during our entertainment program 'El Gordo y La Flaca' Rodner Figueroa made comments regarding First Lady Michelle Obama that were completely reprehensible and in no way reflect Univision's values or views," Univision said in a statement. "As a result, Mr. Figueroa was immediately terminated."

150312133022-rodner-figueroa-michelle-ob

Univision reaches 94 million households in the United States. It is the largest Spanish language broadcaster in the U.S., and the fifth largest television network.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/24/newspaper-obama-ape-belgian-satire-putin-barack-president-racism-racist_n_5020987.html

From a Belgian newspaper. I thought Obamao was going to make us sooooooooooooooo respected in the

world, SHEP

bush_chimps2.jpg

No one complained when George w bush was compared to a chimp. Now it's racist. the double standard at work.

AWESOME

Not the smartest thing to say, given the background and implications.

However, for the White House to get involved is phooey.

BTW, didn't Cassius Clay / Muhammid Ali call Joe Frazier a 'Gorilla'?

It's OK for black people to make fun of other black people,

There were "white" monkeys in the movie, too.

And saying that Bush was like a monkey showed him "less than human",,,,

like the nazis thought of the Jews in WWII.

Nah, I saw the Bush thing as pretty funny, especially the first one and a few others.

I never heard, all my life, of calling black people monkeys. Never.

Tarzan the Ape Man was white.

He didn't like guns or to fight...

The shows were in black and white.

Jane was white.

Yeah, Cheeta was all about racist victimization to these

kids that don't remember but still want to sashe' up

onto the liberal bandwagon...

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/320406/Tarzan-The-Ape-Man-Movie-Clip-I-Wish-You-d-Knock-.html

Tarzan the Ape Man was white.

He didn't like guns or to fight...

The shows were in black and white.

Jane was white.

Yeah, Cheeta was all about racist victimization to these

kids that don't remember but still want to sashe' up

onto the liberal bandwagon...

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/320406/Tarzan-The-Ape-Man-Movie-Clip-I-Wish-You-d-Knock-.html

... i am guessing this is just some attempt at a joke.... but no shit a lead character was white in 1932 lol

Japanese used to think we were subhuman, barbarians how far back in time you wanna go?

(according to Darwin before woodpeckers could fly they had scales and crawled out of the primordial ooze)

WSS

Japanese racism towards whites is rooted in our country's history? I played a prominent role in shaping what we are today? I must have missed that...

Travel to where rednecks are. I had to beat the shit out of a guy at a costume party for getting drunk and calling my wife a "fucking monkey" when she tried to politely ask him to leave the party.

And that, sir, is an ass beating I would enjoy watching. Still wouldn't he have gotten one for calling her bitch, cunt or whore?

WSS

Log, that's sick. And, I honestly never heard that, growing up.

Well, sure, in grade school a great friend of mine was the only black kid in our school,

and a group of kids were chasing him across the playground one day, and I got our there

a bit late, and went out and submarined them to let him get away.

Of course, I hadn't bargained on getting sticked and stoned and kicked myself, but ...

the fight was on, and then they left to go chase him some more.

A few of em hated me for the next whole year, they got into so much trouble. But they

never messed with either one of us again.

And, there was that kid who HATED white guys, from where he grew up, in the service, that

I ran afoul of, just because I was walking down the polished hall while he was running the buffer,

but I've told that story before.

No, but why the fuck does it matter if I was? That doesn't change the history behind the insult and why it obviously is more insulting and racist to blacks than whites...

That's your white guilt allowing your contemporaries to saddle you with the sins of the father.

Probably a bad example considering the conditions on the reservations.
WSS
Interesting point... here's a very good article about that:

Archived