THE BROWNS BOARD

Univision host fired for saying Michelle Obama looks like an ape

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's your white guilt allowing your contemporaries to saddle you with the sins of the father.

Uuhhhh... What? I'm telling you why calling a black person a monkey is racist. Things are racist and offensive to certain groups because of the history behind it. Every bit of racism you think is fake can't be written off as white guilt...

Uuhhhh... What? I'm telling you why calling a black person a monkey is racist. Things are racist and offensive to certain groups because of the history behind it. Every bit of racism you think is fake can't be written off as white guilt...

yeah almost all of it can actually.

Calling someone a monkey isn't inherently racist. I call my youngest son jack a monkey all the time. if I adopted a black kid I might also call him a monkey. It's the intent with which you use it which makes it derogatory. if you use it like "you're not a human you monkey" that's derogatory although not necessarily racist. If you use it like "you're climbing the walls like a monkey, monkey" it's not derogatory.

Calling someone a monkey isn't inherently racist. I call my youngest son jack a monkey all the time. if I adopted a black kid I might also call him a monkey. It's the intent with which you use it which makes it derogatory. if you use it like "you're not a human you monkey" that's derogatory although not necessarily racist. If you use it like "you're climbing the walls like a monkey, monkey" it's not derogatory.

Please stop.

There is a long history of negatively referring to Black Americans as monkeys based on facial features and then continuing the negativity by then suggesting lesser intelligence.

The moron said she looks like an ape, no climbing, if he doesn't know of the stereotype he should have been fired for being a idiot.

ok... I agree

That's not really what's going on here, but ok

"Howard Cosell was a colorful guy. The broadcaster's death is a sad day for sports. I did not, and do not, take exception to anything he said about me in the broadcast. Matter of fact, I am pleased that he singled me out for such favorable attention."
-- Washington Redskins wide-receiver, Alvin Garrett

Because today's liberals have no sense of humor.

The only "jokes" for them, are those THEY get to use on people

and groups they disagree with.

In THIS instance, I believe the TV announcer was naive, not racist.

Otherwise, how dumb can one person be?

Maybe it is a Hispanic cultural thing but - other than Cal - everybody knows his comments echoed a racial stereotype.

Just like that woman TV announcer from Ohio who stated she liked "jigaboo" music. HOW DUMB CAN SHE BE?

It is said that ignorance of the law is no excuse. In this instance, there is no law to make or break.

I say both are 'ignorant' and should be 'talked to'. Firing is another thing as I cannot believe somebody 'in the know' could/would make such comments.

"Howard Cosell was a colorful guy. The broadcaster's death is a sad day for sports. I did not, and do not, take exception to anything he said about me in the broadcast. Matter of fact, I am pleased that he singled me out for such favorable attention."

-- Washington Redskins wide-receiver, Alvin Garrett

It is all about context. I am sure Alvin Garrett would have a different opinion if pictures of him with a monkey face circulated after Cosell saying that. Cosell said it with zero malice behind it.

In THIS instance, I believe the TV announcer was naive, not racist.

Otherwise, how dumb can one person be?

Maybe it is a Hispanic cultural thing but - other than Cal - everybody knows his comments echoed a racial stereotype.

Just like that woman TV announcer from Ohio who stated she liked "jigaboo" music. HOW DUMB CAN SHE BE?

It is said that ignorance of the law is no excuse. In this instance, there is no law to make or break.

I say both are 'ignorant' and should be 'talked to'. Firing is another thing as I cannot believe somebody 'in the know' could/would make such comments.

Someone actually used the term "jigaboo music" on TV? hahaha

1) was calling George Bush a monkey in an insulting manner a racial slur?

No, because there is no racial history behind calling white people monkeys. At no point in America were white people thought of as sub-human, like monkeys. That's the point. That's why it is offensive.

It's not even the same because that's not what he insinuated. He insinuated she looked like a character from planet of the apes. Calling someone ugly and calling them subhuman is different. I don't expect you to grasp the difference though because you're all in on the pc outrage wagon

It's not even the same because that's not what he insinuated. He insinuated she looked like a character from planet of the apes. Calling someone ugly and calling them subhuman is different. I don't expect you to grasp the difference though because you're all in on the pc outrage wagon

Oh, I'm on the PC outrage wagon? Oh no, that's a bummer.

so your point goes

Call white person monkey = ok

call black person monkey = racist; should lose job. but by all means let's pretend equality is feasible.

I think you need to reread all of my posts, and actually figure out the point I originally was arguing against.

Archived