THE BROWNS BOARD

Walter Scott

gftChris

Also, as you alluded to, there are already laws on the books preventing "criminals" from obtaining guns. Rather than putting an effort into the support of enforcing those existing laws, our government insists on writing new laws that turn regular citizens into criminals (another discussion).

That, coupled with the media's goal (well, I'm not sure who's goal it really is, but the media seems to have a vested interest in it) of portraying all police officers as racist white assholes, has hamstrung efficient & effective 'law enforcement.'

Granted, this Walter Scott incident looks to be pretty inexcusable (in fact, the only way it's not actual cold-blooded murder is if all parties were actors and someone was filming a low-budget movie). But I guarantee this story about 2 police officers buying a car seat for a family that couldn't afford one - rather than citing them - won't receive 1/100th of the air time that the Walter Scott story gets.

I agree, and that's exactly where I started - enforce the laws you have in place to stop criminals obtaining guns. I would make all guns (except those for hunting or "bear defence," as outlined previously) illegal, but that's not likely any time soon.

The question was why such a disproportionately high civilian death rate - is it because the police are shoot first? Is it because the people they confront are shoot first? There was presumably a time when an officer stops a suspect, and the first thought from both parties wasn't "he's gonna shoot me if I don't shoot him first" and why has that changed? Obviously, that's not the case everywhere, but it seems to be in a lot of places. Is it over-militarisation? We've all read the reports that cal has posted about police departments being given ex-military equipment. Do people see the police as 'the enemy' and in turn do the police see the people as 'the enemy' - that's where I wanted to go with this topic.

Also, stories like the car seat one get plenty of play nationally (and I guess internationally since I'd read it before). There are plenty of stories out there like that that don't get so much attention because that's how police *should* be.

So if the per had no gun how does this story relate to your demand to disarm the US? You mean the police as well?

WSS

I'm not a citizen, I have no demands or rights to demand anything. But as relates to this incident - in countries with no guns, police officers do not carry guns. So, this guy wouldn't have been killed in any other civilised country. It's a pretty simple connection in this case that you seem to have (intentionally?) missed.

in countries with no guns, police officers do not carry guns. So, this guy wouldn't have been killed in any other civilised country.

Yea why on earth would police officers need to carry guns in countries that don't allow guns?

(that man on the ground is a police officer)

BN-GH877_0107fr_P_20150107123438.jpg

Being English you don't understand the American way. We were settled by people who had the gonads to pack up and leave their homeland, travel thousands of miles to a new country and start over. We had the wild west where guns ruled. We have a different mindset then the English. Pretty simple. Europeans don't get us. No big deal. We don't need you to.

Being English you don't understand the American way. We were settled by people who had the gonads to pack up and leave their homeland, travel thousands of miles to a new country and start over. We had the wild west where guns ruled. We have a different mindset then the English. Pretty simple. Europeans don't get us. No big deal. We don't need you to.

I have tried to explain this in those terms. There is a cultural difference.

Certainly but back child support doesn't carry murder by cop type penalties.

No, but I suspect there will be a load of people talking about how he's such a great guy, wouldn't harm anybody, yada yada yada. He didn't deserve to die, but he didn't seem to be mother teresa.

No, but I suspect there will be a load of people talking about how he's such a great guy, wouldn't harm anybody, yada yada yada. He didn't deserve to die, but he didn't seem to be mother teresa.

I'm waiting for the high school graduation picture complete with mortarboard, if there is one.

WSS

I'm of two minds about this as I usually am. First of all the shooting seems grotesquely inappropriate. The second cop was in a decent position to capture the fleeing suspect. Second off the second cop was black so the racism angle where evil whitey couldn't wait to kill a poor ol black man rankles me. I hate that constant assertion which is used to constantly fuel racial hatred. Third why does this guy run and where does he think he's going to go? I think the cop was definitely wrong but I don't think first degree murder is appropriate. I expect this will be a manslaughter conviction. The planting of the taser was a really ugly look. Not uncommon I'm sure, and an attempt to justify exceedingly lazy police work.

I wonder if that taser was the victim's, it did look like he was trying to

reach low towards the officer with it, and then saw the gun drawn,

and dropped the taser and ran.

Still, on the run, no excuse for gunning the victim down after the fact..

I wonder if that taser was the victim's, it did look like he was trying to

reach low towards the officer with it, and then saw the gun drawn,

and dropped the taser and ran.

Still, on the run, no excuse for gunning the victim down after the fact..

It was the officer's. He had already used the taser on the guy which is what I think led to the officer going Rambo and shooting the guy 8 times in the back.

Ah. Too bad the video doesn't show what happened right before that.

Maybe the guy was high on something...whatever.

Still, the shooting was a disgrace, should have followed him and called for backup.

Not that this justifies anything, but I read he was driving a Mercedes. North Charleston, SC might as well be Mogadishu.

Black guy in that car in that area, sorry but suspicions and alert level is raised. Not saying it's right. But it is what it is.

Archived