THE BROWNS BOARD

Musts and Needs

Geech

I like forum threads that discuss a specific position. I, also, like forum threads that go position by position (as long as Flugel doesn't post in them...just kidding!)

Anyways...

In my opinion...

Defense

Musts

1. OLB - A Pass Rusher

A premium is put on these players for a very good reason. "The QB must go down, and he must go down hard."

My choice: Brian Orakpo (6'3" 263) - Big, strong, and athletic. He wowed at the Scouting Combine. He's gifted against the run, to go along with his pass rushing abilities. I've somewhat soured on Wimbley, but I'd like to see what he can do with a legitimate pass rusher on the other side. One starting OLB is enough for this offseason.

2. SS - The Enforcer

Sean Jones is good, but he was just a tad shy of being that Enforcer that would have made us slap the Franchise Tag on him. A 6'3" David Fulcher type who is quick and athletic enough to cover is wishful thinking, but you get my drift, I hope.

Can draftees Patrick Chung (5'11" 212) or William Moore (6'0" 221) be that guy for us?

3. SILB - A Run Stuffer

As we've already discussed in this thread, SILBs can be had easier than a pass rusher. There are several possibilities when it comes to head smashing ILBs in FA and the Draft. As good as Curry is, I just can't see a #5 overall for a 3-4 SILB, unless he is moved to WILB and DQ is allowed to walk when his contract expires. Even so, I can't see passing up Orakpo.

Needs

4. CB - Depth/Veteran Presence

I'm not content to go into the 2009 season with what we have. You can make a solid case for the guys we have, but it's still a risk to rely on youngsters and FA Daven Holly coming off of injury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offense

Musts

5. RB - The Power Runner

Questions regarding Jerome Harrison's ability to be an every down back coupled with Jamal Lewis's inability to be an effective back makes this position a must. As RifferX likes to say, Jamal leaves too many yards on the field. Young, fresh legs are in order. A Rashad Jennings or Shonn Greene could do wonders to alleviate the stress at RB.

6. OC - A Rock in the Middle

Fraley has seen better days. I won't say that he is Jeff Faine Part II, but he will be soon enough. We need a tough young brute to anchor the middle of the OLine.

My choice: Eric Wood (6'4" 310). He leaves a little to be desired when it comes to quickness and athleticism, but he's a rock.

7. WR/TE - A Passing Game

With the recent trade of KII to Tampa, the Browns need someone who can catch. Alot of money is wrapped up at the WR spot, but not much production can be seen on the field. Stallworth is unreliably injury prone and Braylon can't catch. Depth is laughable, at best. Steptoe didn't do too bad, but Sanders and Hubbard...puke.gif

We should give Martin Rucker a chance to show what kind of talent he is before we consider TE to be a must or need.

Needs

8. RG/RT - The Future

I think we can get by with Tucker and Shaffer for another year or two, but we need someone to replace the aging Tucker and inconsistent Shaffer. Shaffer has time to redeem himself, but Tucker will be 34 in June.

-Al

We need everything you mentioned plus more.

Indeed we do. We need alot of depth across the board, in addition to the starters I mentioned. I'm just trying to prioritize.

I could have said that we need a Free Safety, as well. I'm getting tired of watching Pool bite on underneath pump fakes only to end up getting beat deep.

We can only do so much this offseason. I think we can get by with Pool, Tucker, Shaffer, and a few others for now. Thus, the whole Must vs Needs thought process.

-Al

I think you about covered the needs and musts.

Mangini has said that he believes the number one priority is stopping the run. I believe that ILB is a must and I think their plan may be to bring in a veteran and use a second round pick for someone who can be in the rotation and work into the starter role during the season.

Our #5 pick looks like the pass rusher we desparately need unless we trade Edwards. Then, it could be Crabtree and there will be pass rushers in the second round. I'm a big Chung fan, but Moore will also be available in the second round.

That would cover the musts. Depending on what happens in FA, our needs will still be RB, Center, OT and WR

So, I think we are best suited to trade Edwards and Anderson and wind up with a combination of core guys like;

Orapko/Brown, Bunkley/Sintim, Mack/Unger, Jennings/Greene, Iglesias/Britt

We CANNOT draft a pass rusher in the first round. All those DE's are going to be busts. Clay Matthews Jr is a guy that I would like to target. He's an outside linebacker so he wouldnt need to make any adjustments. For the rest, Hadnot could be moved to center, Tucker at RG, and maybe find a late prospect to fill RT. I think we need to draft an ILB, OLB, WR, RB, and OL. We need to find a veteran to backup Quinn. James Sanders or James Butler could be filled in at S. We're not going to be very competitve this season because there are WAY to many holes to fill in for one offseason.

I'm not a huge Shonn Greene fan... he's pretty slow and I work that he's gonna struggle at the next level about like A-Train from Michigan. I'd rather get Derrick Ward, Rashad Jennings, or even Beanie Wells if we dump Lewis.

I agree. Plus Green will be 25 before he ever takes his first NFL snap. Beanie Wells will have been in the league three years by the time he's 25.

In a few years after drafting Green you are looking at a 30 year old RB.

Archived