THE BROWNS BOARD

Are we stuck with DA?

We need Tom Tupa

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scou...y_keep_anderson

Thanks Cassel, Browns May Keep Anderson

Monday, March 02, 2009

Posted By Mike Florio 8:48 AM

Here’s a potential bit of fallout from the trade that sent quarterback Matt Cassel to the Chiefs for only a second-round pick.

With the Browns potentially shopping quarterback Derek Anderson, the fact that the Pats got only a second-rounder for Cassel (and also gave up linebacker Mike Vrabel) could make it very hard for the Browns to do as well or better in exchange for Anderson.

Just as some claim that Cassel was/is a one-year wonder, Anderson was/is the same. In fact, Anderson is farther along his career arc, with that single stellar season coming in 2007 and the correction already taking root, to the point that he was benched last year for Brady Quinn.

Making this situation even more intriguing is the fact that former Pats assistant and Belichick/Pioli Spygate nemesis Eric Mangini is the guy who might in the end be forced to keep Anderson (and pay out a $5 million guaranteed roster bonus) because the Browns can’t get the kind of trade package they want, because of the deal that Belichick and Pioli did for Cassel.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scou...y_keep_anderson

Thanks Cassel, Browns May Keep Anderson

Monday, March 02, 2009

Posted By Mike Florio 8:48 AM

Here’s a potential bit of fallout from the trade that sent quarterback Matt Cassel to the Chiefs for only a second-round pick.

With the Browns potentially shopping quarterback Derek Anderson, the fact that the Pats got only a second-rounder for Cassel (and also gave up linebacker Mike Vrabel) could make it very hard for the Browns to do as well or better in exchange for Anderson.

Just as some claim that Cassel was/is a one-year wonder, Anderson was/is the same. In fact, Anderson is farther along his career arc, with that single stellar season coming in 2007 and the correction already taking root, to the point that he was benched last year for Brady Quinn.

Making this situation even more intriguing is the fact that former Pats assistant and Belichick/Pioli Spygate nemesis Eric Mangini is the guy who might in the end be forced to keep Anderson (and pay out a $5 million guaranteed roster bonus) because the Browns can’t get the kind of trade package they want, because of the deal that Belichick and Pioli did for Cassel.

I read that too...but then I saw this on the Mock Draft by WalterFootball:

Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, ILB, Wake Forest

I had two reasons for putting Mark Sanchez No. 3 in many of my previous updates. First, quarterbacks hold much more positional value than linebackers. That's just how the draft works. For more on this, check out the History of Linebackers in the NFL Draft and the Top-Three NFL Draft Pick Trends.

And second, new regimes mean new quarterbacks. I was confident Clark Hunt, Scott Pioli and Todd Haley would be searching for "their guy." I just thought it would be Sanchez. Apparently, they liked Matt Cassel better, though I wouldn't exactly consider him much of an upgrade over Tyler Thigpen. Both Thigpen and Cassel are shotgun spread quarterbacks with limited arm strength and an inability to play under center. Put Thigpen on the Patriots last year, and he would have put up the same numbers as Cassel.

At any rate, the Chiefs can now focus on finding help for their new 3-4 defense. The best defensive player in this draft is Aaron Curry, and he'd fill a big need at inside linebacker.

Basically what I see here is what I have been saying all along. Cassel is probably seen more as a product of a system with average tools....where even though DA had a one and done type year...he is NOT part of a system (except of losing) and has an EXCEPTIONAL arm.

Teams that are interested in Cassel would not be interested in DA....and because DA is not a 'system' QB...he is likely to have more value than Cassel in the open market.

Besides which, Vrabel (33) was probably something that NE wanted to get off their books ($3.2M) and is a FA next year....so KC gets a filler until they can draft the guy for the position. Not really anything more than KC taking cap space off of NE so NE could sign all their 2nd round picks they now have.

Maybe the Browns can reignite the trade with the Bucs and the Broncos. Cutler isn't happy, the Bucs still want him?. DA will cost less money, making him more valuable/tradeable than Cassel

it's not a terrible idea but it will never happen. mcdaniels wanted cassel specifically. he he wanted any quarterback to run his offense he would just stick with cutler. he wasn't looking to get rid of cutler as much as he was just looking to get cassel in denver. i don't think it was anything personal against cutler, he is just the present qb there.

he he wanted any quarterback to run his offense he would just stick with cutler. he wasn't looking to get rid of cutler as much as he was just looking to get cassel in denver. i don't think it was anything personal against cutler, he is just the present qb there.

From what Peter King says, Cutler actually asked to be traded once their old offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates went to USC.

it's not a terrible idea but it will never happen. mcdaniels wanted cassel specifically. he he wanted any quarterback to run his offense he would just stick with cutler. he wasn't looking to get rid of cutler as much as he was just looking to get cassel in denver. i don't think it was anything personal against cutler, he is just the present qb there.

Cassel would have been ideal for mcdaniels offense but cheatachek wanted to give pioli a parting gift package to get him off to a good start for all his years of loyal arselicking....;)

Is it really so bad if we keep DA?

We currently have 2 decent qbs i would like to see it stay that way minus a great trade offer for DA..i dont think we should give him away..

So would I.....errrr.....wait, i'm a BQ fag, so I need to have Quinn start at all costs!!!!!

:blink:

seriously if we could get cutler I would ship BQ's ass outta here in a heartbeat.

I think I better shop for a vintage jersey, no one is safe at the present. Which shall be good for competition.

I hope ManKok gets the best out of these players. :lol:

Maybe the Browns can reignite the trade with the Bucs and the Broncos. Cutler isn't happy, the Bucs still want him?. DA will cost less money, making him more valuable/tradeable than Cassel

I have actually seen that rumor on some NFL forums. Tampa Bay wants Cutler and we could get involved with Anderson to Denver and get draft picks from Tampa Bay. Only thing, Denver wants equal value for Cutler, so getting a Anderson for Cutler wouldn't work for them unless we swapped #1s with them and got a mid round pick from Denver and a pick or two from Tampa Bay.

The other rumor was Denver making the trade with Tampa for their #1 and then packaging a few picks and moving up to take Sanchez or Stafford. San Fran also wants Sanchez so that might also put us in the mix.

Again, it is just a fun rumor that is making it's way around the forums.

Stuck with DA? Worse, you are stuck with LumDumb.

LOL! Doesn't every team have a male cheerleader for their backup QB?

I got the perfect blind date for Loverboy - Joe 6pack, if we can keep his mind off steroids long enough.

- Tom F.

Cutler's a stud. it'd be ridiculous getting him in cleveland.

i say give the Retarded Broncos anderson and quinn for cutler.

no more qb debate.

You know, that isn't all that far fetched. The Browns currently have 2 QBs. and they may not be hot on either of them. I could see a trade for an experienced QB and another position filler or medium/high round draft pick for the both of them.

You know, that isn't all that far fetched. The Browns currently have 2 QBs. and they may not be hot on either of them. I could see a trade for an experienced QB and another position filler or medium/high round draft pick for the both of them.

Can you show me the link to anything the front office of coaching staff has said negative about either QB. Nothing has come out of Berea. You got a few reporters lookiing for a story writing crap like they heard that the team isn't sold on Quinn. It's medi spin because no rumors are coming out of Berea. It's on lockdown, no leaks.

Quinn will be the starting QB and they will continue to shop Anderson. That's about as solid as any other story going around.

You got to be joking that they would trade both of them and bring in a overpaid whiner in from Denver. Do you even understand what that would do to their salary cap.

The Patriots traded Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs for undisclosed draft pick then 2 days later added Matt Cassel to the trade for a 2nd.

Just throwing this out there but I havent seen anywere where we oficially disclosed what draft picks we got, so maybe theres a chance we allready have a deal in place to send DA to tampa with the Winslow trade for 1st, and 3rd or maybe 2nd and 3rd, or whatever the combination be. They just have to wait till the 16th or whenever it is we have to pay his bonus. What do ya think :unsure:

If they liked Cutler, they will love Anderson. Same type of QB without the attitude and whining.

If they liked Cutler, they will love Anderson. Same type of QB without the attitude and whining.

Cutler is 10 times better than DA. Jay had the highest passer rating in the league while on the run last year and hes much more accurate. Its more like they loved Cutler so they might settle for DA

Archived