THE BROWNS BOARD

What our draft looks like to me...now

calfoxwc

I think if it's true that Rodgers never asked for his release, the reporter? who reported it, should be Rodgers' gopher for a week.

And at the end of the week, Rodgers should be allowed to stomp on him for 5 minutes.

The Winslow trade was excellent. Two picks in the second round is dynamite for the Browns.

Assuming Rodgers is all good and he's our NT...

Two lb's, a big rb, a new RT/OG and ... in two rounds. And a DE/Future NT in the fouth round.

Well, if you're going to dream, dream big.

The Browns will draft Brian Orakpo in the first round, assuming they can't trade down...

The Browns will trade DA for a second round pick: (I figure Sean Smith cb/s goes in the first round now)

With our three picks in the second round,

**** OLB, Mathews or Barwin. Which ever one made it this far. Maybe neither? Barwin is probably the pick.

**** OT/OG, Jamon Meredith, South Carolina - unless he went in the first round, too...

and:

**** Rashad Jennings, Liberty

Height: 6-1. Weight: 231.

Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

Combine 40 Time: 4.64.

Benchx225: 29. Vertical: . Broad: 10-0.

This kid needs to be a Cleveland Brown.

and in the 4th round,

**** Name: Sammie Lee Hill

College: Stillman Number: 91

Height: 6-4 Weight: 329

Position: DT Pos2: DE

Class/Draft Year: rSr/2009

40 Time: 5.14 40 Low: 5.08 40 High: 5.28

Projected Round: 5-6 Stock: High: Mid 3 Low: Late 6

Rated number 14 out of 164 DT's 169 / 2595 TOTAL

Im still thinking we get a 3rd, not a 2nd for DA, but I like it. Only change I would make is if Nicks is on the board, you take him over Meredith. But if we go OLB in the first, why the second too? Unless your one of the assumption that Clay can play inside. I'd rather reach for Maualuga in the first then take the Barwin/Sintim/Matthews-Nicks/Mack/OT-Jennings

well,

1. Sean Jones hasn't left yet, but if he did, I'd be picking Sean Smith, cb/s if he was there. We may very well have to nab a safety...

2. I actually would change the draft to be picking a wr, but thought we could sign one more easily

than a big rb, or rt.

It's interesting, Nicks may very well go into the first round. But, if you did nab a wr, Nicks is more highly rated, I think on stats

in college, but Robiskie is as fast, runs better routes and is freakin smart. Nicks is perhaps a better blocker... but often rounds out

his routes, needs, so they say, more coaching. Robiskie could step in and start.

If I'm really full of crap about the lb's... it would be Nicks or Robiskie with the second 2nd maybe, and Sean Smith cb/s with the first 2nd.

It's all so confusing...

And Da for a second is my wishful thinking. Who knows...

Still virtually impossible to address this. There are too many questions unanswered at this point.

Do we move DA, what round pick do we get and do we sign a FA QB or need to draft one?

Are they planning to trade Edwards? What draft choices and do we sign a FA WR?

Also, do we trade down?

From where we are at this point, FA should help with some depth but doesn't seem that it will resolve any musts and needs.

Considering we do nothing in trades or adding additional draft picks from now till draft day and Curry is gone.

#5 - Orakpo

#34 - Clint Sintum

#50 - R. Jennings (if we resign Jones or a FA), if not best SS available

I choose Sintim only because we have a "must" fill position at ILB. If we sign a stopgap ILB which I believe should happen then I would change to something like this.

#5 - Orakpo

#34 - Donald Brown

#50 - William Moore

If we trade Anderson for a high 3rd rounder and sign a FA bck up QB

#5 - Orakpo

#34 - Alex Mack/Unger

#50 - Barwin

3rd Rounder - Chung

If we trade down to the middle of the first round then I take Cushing in the 1st and Connor Barwin with a late second or early 3rd. I would also look for my RB and SS with the extra 2nds.

Still virtually impossible to address this. There are too many questions unanswered at this point.

Do we move DA, what round pick do we get and do we sign a FA QB or need to draft one?

Are they planning to trade Edwards? What draft choices and do we sign a FA WR?

Also, do we trade down?

From where we are at this point, FA should help with some depth but doesn't seem that it will resolve any musts and needs.

Considering we do nothing in trades or adding additional draft picks from now till draft day and Curry is gone.

#5 - Orakpo

#34 - Clint Sintum

#50 - R. Jennings (if we resign Jones or a FA), if not best SS available

I choose Sintim only because we have a "must" fill position at ILB. If we sign a stopgap ILB which I believe should happen then I would change to something like this.

#5 - Orakpo

#34 - Donald Brown

#50 - William Moore

If we trade Anderson for a high 3rd rounder and sign a FA bck up QB

#5 - Orakpo

#34 - Alex Mack/Unger

#50 - Barwin

3rd Rounder - Chung

If we trade down to the middle of the first round then I take Cushing in the 1st and Connor Barwin with a late second or early 3rd. I would also look for my RB and SS with the extra 2nds.

Look guys we have Nick Sorenson( special teamer) and Brodney pool on the roster at safety...that's it! If we don't resign Jones or Adams or pick up a fa safety....those second rounder could both be safeties

if we stay at five, i like orakpo, too. i just hope the vernon gholston flop doesn't scare mangini off him and into take everette brown.

sintim played OLB in al groh's 3-4 in college, and while his combine numbers and senior bowl week weren't great, his existing scheme knowledge would be enough to keep him outside for us, i'd think.

i'd love to get jennings with the 50th pick. he's far and away my favorite back in this draft.

william moore is a joke. dude can't cover at all. he'll get picked by a 4-3 team looking to convert him to a WLB and will have to add at least 15 pounds. it's his only chance of playing in the NFL. if we pick him, it means out FO hasn't improved over last year.

if we could pull off a trade for a 3rd round pick and get chung, that would be incredible, but i sincerely doubt he lasts that long. he's one of the better safeties in this year's draft, and, unlike william moore, chung actually knows what to do when the ball's in the air.

i'm not sold on either mack or unger. i like a.q. shipley or robby felix more than either of the top prospects, especially because we'll be able to get them later and can devote higher draft picks to more important positions like RB, WR, LB and S where guys' impact is more immediate and game-changing.

however, it's still the beginning of march. there's a lot of time until the last weekend in april for things to change.

if we stay at five, i like orakpo, too. i just hope the vernon gholston flop doesn't scare mangini off him and into take everette brown.

sintim played OLB in al groh's 3-4 in college, and while his combine numbers and senior bowl week weren't great, his existing scheme knowledge would be enough to keep him outside for us, i'd think.

i'd love to get jennings with the 50th pick. he's far and away my favorite back in this draft.

william moore is a joke. dude can't cover at all. he'll get picked by a 4-3 team looking to convert him to a WLB and will have to add at least 15 pounds. it's his only chance of playing in the NFL. if we pick him, it means out FO hasn't improved over last year.

if we could pull off a trade for a 3rd round pick and get chung, that would be incredible, but i sincerely doubt he lasts that long. he's one of the better safeties in this year's draft, and, unlike william moore, chung actually knows what to do when the ball's in the air.

i'm not sold on either mack or unger. i like a.q. shipley or robby felix more than either of the top prospects, especially because we'll be able to get them later and can devote higher draft picks to more important positions like RB, WR, LB and S where guys' impact is more immediate and game-changing.

however, it's still the beginning of march. there's a lot of time until the last weekend in april for things to change.

Well, my best case senerio would be trade down to the middle of the first round and take Cushing. I believe he was the best LB at USC last year. He can play both inside and outside and can rush the passer and cover. I have to disagree on Mack. I just don't think he will be there at #34. If you like Shipley you might get him in the 4th round. He's about the 4th rated center in the draft. I think Mack and Unger are far superior to him. I believe the best SS is Chung but also think Moore will be a very good SS.

As far as needs, I believe center is a very big need. Bigger then WR and RB. Fraley is on his last leg, he got pushed around by most DTs we played. Hadnot may end up there if we don't draft a center.

SS William Moore - evaluation from Scouts.com

Moore is a strong, playmaking satety who can alter the game with his unique of attributes. He's a forceful run defending safety, who defends well in coverage. He's fast in pursuit, tracks down ball carriers and brings them down on initial contact. He anticipates the action well, reads the quarterback, displays a great burst and uses his excellent ball skills. Chris Steuber, Scouts.Com

Do not draft a RB in this class. This is a rebuilding year so go with the RB's you have. Give Harrison a chance at 70% of the carries.

Since this is a rebuilding year, if it turns out that Harrison can't carry the load then draft a RB in the 2010 draft. It is so much deeper than the RB's in this draft. Three RB's coming from USC alone in 2010!! All three could be quality NFL backs. James Starks is a Jennings type of back out of Buffalo. There are about 10 RB's coming out in next year's draft that I like a lot. Why reach for a Jenning at #50 this year when in that same spot next year you can get a better, more polished back?

We can't think about getting it all in one draft.

Unlike so many postions, the RB can come in and be a huge contributor right now. We've seen it time and time again.

It seems to take WR's and QB's and even LB's a year or two to really settle in and become a great football player.

I hope the Browns go with defense with all three 1st and 2nd round picks. My, how they could improve on defense with three of the top 50 players! Even if they end up with 4 picks in the 1st and 2nd round, I'd draft defense. There are so many good players in the draft on the defensive side.

If the Browns end up with four 1st and 2nd round picks, you could have two of your future LB's, a future DE and a future Safety all in one draft. Sign a few FA's and and another draft in 2010 and you are on your way.

Guest Masters
I believe he was the best LB at USC last year. He can play both inside and outside and can rush the passer and cover.

Could not agree more with you. Been saying it all year long.

Guest Masters
The only problem with Cushing is the guy has battled injuries throughout his college career. You could be taking a huge chance there.

They have been minor and never the same thing. He injury history is like that of AP. Different little things that can just happen.

They have been minor and never the same thing. He injury history is like that of AP. Different little things that can just happen.

In 2007 he sprained and ankle and missed 5 games. They also found out he had a small fracture in the the same ankle.

His Freshman year he missed half the season due to a serious shoulder injury.

I'm not sure I'd call either minor.

SS William Moore - evaluation from Scouts.com

Moore is a strong, playmaking satety who can alter the game with his unique of attributes. He's a forceful run defending safety, who defends well in coverage. He's fast in pursuit, tracks down ball carriers and brings them down on initial contact. He anticipates the action well, reads the quarterback, displays a great burst and uses his excellent ball skills. Chris Steuber, Scouts.Com

i've read evaluations of moore that say stuff like that, too, but it doesn't at all mesh with what i've seen of him. i watched him in two late-season games, one of which was their bowl game, and all he did was get burned time after time.

here's a scouting report that i think more accurately represents what kind of player he'll be:

02/18/09 - He exploded onto the scene in 2007, intercepting eight passes and establishing himself as an elite playmaker. He has a history of turning interceptions into touchdowns, with four of his 11 career picks returned for scores. Moore struggled early in the year before picking up his play, but then appeared too stiff for a safety in Senior Bowl workouts and scouts began discussing a possible move to linebacker. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange, NFL Draft Scout

it's not that he's without ability, it's just that his late-season pass coverage, especially when teams went right at him, was severely lacking.

Guest Aloysius

I'm not very high on Cushing as a 3-4 ILB, though many people are. Just can't forget how uncomfortable he looked playing ILB in the Oregon game. It could have simply been due to inexperience, but it also could be a sign that he won't be able to deal with blockers coming at him from both sides - he looks significantly better playing outside, especially as an "on the ball" 4-3 strongside linebacker.

I'm not very high on Cushing as a 3-4 ILB, though many people are. Just can't forget how uncomfortable he looked playing ILB in the Oregon game. It could have simply been due to inexperience, but it also could be a sign that he won't be able to deal with blockers coming at him from both sides - he looks significantly better playing outside, especially as an "on the ball" 4-3 strongside linebacker.

More scheme brainwashing....I'll take him on the inside all day!

Guest Masters
In 2007 he sprained and ankle and missed 5 games. They also found out he had a small fracture in the the same ankle.

His Freshman year he missed half the season due to a serious shoulder injury.

I'm not sure I'd call either minor.

Those are minor, in the scheme of football. Sprained and fractured an ankle. That's not like ripped tendons or muscles. But notice two different areas. That's like AP. This guy is not an injury risk, any more than any other LB.

Guest Aloysius

In '07, Cushing strained his hamstring, had his left knee scoped, and sprained his ankle twice. He had to have the ankle scoped after the season.

Durability is a concern with him.

NICE FIND< AL ! I keep flappin my jaws about Meredith. I think if he's there for the Browns at the top of the second,

you'd have to take him. He could be our new starter RT and we'd have bookend tackles.

I just think Jamon would be an outstanding draft pick in the second for the Browns.

Guest Aloysius
I wonder if Everette was having his school work done for him? It would be intersting to see how widespread it was on the FSU football team.

They got hammered pretty hard by the NCAA.

Don't know about that, but I was pretty surprised to hear Brown say he'd prefer to play in a 4-3 at the next level. He seems like a good kid, but that's not a smart move, especially when his lack of height is going to scare away some 4-3 teams.

Guest Aloysius
NICE FIND< AL ! I keep flappin my jaws about Meredith. I think if he's there for the Browns at the top of the second,

you'd have to take him. He could be our new starter RT and we'd have bookend tackles.

I just think Jamon would be an outstanding draft pick in the second for the Browns.

He's a good player, but I'm not sure he's a fit for our system. Meredith may be best suited for a zone blocking scheme, where his lack of bulk will be less of an issue. Though Meredith weighed in at 304 lbs. at the Combine, he was only 289 lbs. when he showed up at the Shrine Game. And based on what Kokinis said at the Combine, we seem to be looking for big, drive-blocking offensive linemen.

NFL | Jennings runs at Pro Day

Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:57:39 -0800

JJ Pesavento, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Liberty RB Rashad Jennings ran between 4.42 seconds and 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard yard dash at his Pro Day. The Washington Redskins, the Tennessee Titans, the Denver Broncos, the Indianapolis Colts, the New Orleans Saints, the New England Patriots, the New York Giants, the Cleveland Browns, the Atlanta Falcons and the Carolina Panthers attended the Pro Day.

Guest John McClane
Look guys we have Nick Sorenson( special teamer) and Brodney pool on the roster at safety...that's it! If we don't resign Jones or Adams or pick up a fa safety....those second rounder could both be safeties

Adams resigned and I am not at all worried about losing Jones. We can get a good one in the draft like Moore or Chung

Archived