THE BROWNS BOARD

Shaffer released

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

According to the folks at the OBR, the Browns are talking with Kevin Shaffer about restructuring his deal. If they can't come to an agreement in the next few days, Shaffer could end up being released.

EDIT: According to Adam Caplan, Shaffer will be released.

According to the folks at the OBR, the Browns are talking with Kevin Shaffer about restructuring his deal. If they can't come to an agreement in the next few days, Shaffer could end up being released.

Wow...you'd think somebody would pony up a draft pick for him....no?

I wonder why there so worried about freeing up all this money when there not even spending any. If there going to just build through the draft were going to be 40 million under the cap for the next 3 years. Does Lerner want a fat wallet or are they maybe making room for another high 1st rd. pick.

It looks like mankok is attemping to restructure every mediocre and or injury prone vet players salary to the nfl minimum...especially if they are easily replaced with equal or better talent or are expendable...

We have to many benchsucking leeches that are drawing much more money then their feeble play is worth and mankok is obviously looking to take the "prove you are worth more first" approach..I like it! ;)

It looks like mankok is attemping to restructure every mediocre and or injury prone vet players salary to the nfl minimum...especially if they are easily replaced with equal or better talent or are expendable...

We have to many benchsucking leeches that are drawing much more money then their feeble play is worth and mankok is obviously looking to take the "prove you are worth more first" approach..I like it! ;)

Maybe they'll restructure Braylon's and Stallworths contract to

i dont have a problem with what these two have done so far. Nothing extreme really...... KW was a bit of a shock but one that has some logical merits.

I suppose I am biased because last season I was harping how we were actually better with Heiden at TE and using kw as a slot third reciever instead. Schaffer is not a shock, I am waiting on JL and what they are going to do with him.

Guest Aloysius
Maybe this is just posturing to get him to restructure. I hope so.

That's a possibility. On the other hand, there's been some speculation that Mangini & Kokinis want to move towards a more bigger, more physical o-line, which Shaffer isn't a great fit for.

Guest Aloysius
That makes sense right up to the part where they might release him. He has to be worth something to somebody.

I would have thought so...His base salaries over the next couple years aren't too bad - $2.65M in '09, $2.9M in 2010, then $3.4M for the final two years of the deal. However, some of that may have been guaranteed money, which could have scared away teams.

his contract was ludicrous when we signed him to it, but the timing of this is what really makes no sense. it completely tips our draft hand unless we're counting on signing a stopgap solution like khalif barnes, orlando pace or marvel smith.

rich, prepare to be thrilled by the new regime's first draft pick, a top-five tackle. i'm as excited about it as you are.

I would have thought so...His base salaries over the next couple years aren't too bad - $2.65M in '09, $2.9M in 2010, then $3.4M for the final two years of the deal. However, some of that may have been guaranteed money, which could have scared away teams.
Even so, he's going to have to sign a new deal with someone now. Before we cut him, we couldve charged a draft pick for the right to give him his new contract. Oh, well. My POV on this isnt exactly rocket science. I'm sure it was considered. I just hate to see us lose contributing players for nothing.

another participant of last years shitfest released!!! I love it.

All this kicking of dead weight to the curb has put me in a good mood.

Win or lose next year at least last years losers won't be seeing my $$ (at least not all of them)

Kinda like fireworks- can't wait for the grand finale

Hmmm.....Might make OL a prospect.....at #5

Hmmm...seems I have mentioned Oline on a few occasions.

O-line, tackle to be exact, is the top end strength of this draft.

If you think you will need a O-tackle sometime in the next 5 years, this is a good year to get that done.

That, or we feel pretty good about that O-lineman who visited.

Archived