THE BROWNS BOARD

Shaffer released

Guest Aloysius

Levi Brown

It's not going to happen. You don't draft a right tackle with the 5th overall pick....Unless it is as Alo said, to protect a lefty.

I'm just not sure who they'll sign....Kahlif Barnes? Draft and start a rookie that they draft somewhere in rounds 2 or 4?

I'm wondering If Shaffer is not coming back with a new deal.

A #5 right tackle? I don't think so.

Right!

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, but I'll say it again. To me, putting a #5 overall OT at RT would be a waste of his talent. He'd be overqualified. It sounds oh so delicious, but in the end, it's not the smartest use of a #5 overall pick, especially with the multitude of needs we have.

-Al

You don't draft a RT that high in the draft... unless you have a left handed qb and you desperately need that on the oline.

Shaffer played hard, he just didn't have the feet to keep up with speed rushers. And anymore, if not before the past couple of years,

he's easily? bull rushed to the qb.

He just hasn't been getting the job done.

Need new right tackle. I would still draft Jamon Meredith of S. Carolina, he has the frame to go from 308 to 320 and he's smart,

strong, quick and solid character. Second round.

But signing a capable RT is preferable, unless the Browns trade down from #5 for extra picks...

Guest Aloysius
Need new right tackle. I would still draft Jamon Meredith of S. Carolina, he has the frame to go from 308 to 320 and he's smart,

strong, quick and solid character. Second round.

Not sure about the weight projection. He weighed in at 304 lbs. at the Combine, but he was only 289 lbs. at the Shrine Game. He may not be capable and/or willing to pack on an additional fifteen pounds.

Also, the intelligence thing is a little complicated. He's a 3.7 GPA student, but he also had to be coached up during drills at the Combine. Also, there was something fishy going on between him and Spurrier: it was odd that Spurrier wouldn't let a guy that athletic play tackle (Meredith started at left guard).

A #5 right tackle? I don't think so.

You are correct...not a rt...you get a LT and put him on the right. Gives us leverage and trading ammo in future and bookends the line and if your lt goes down you have a true step in starter not a backup lt that gets beaten like a redheaded step child. to name a few....it isn't out of the relm of possibility and only position worth a #5 if curry gone, don't think we'll go crabtree. JMO

I love it. They are taking out the trash.

Shaffer was a bum and couldn't be traded with his contract. Guarantee whoever they get is better then Shaffer.

One thought comes to mind. When they are looking at film are they seeing a few guys who quit on the team at the end of the season. Shaffer absolutely sucked at the end of the year. Maybe Jones was hurt but he didn't leave it on the field. He was arm tackling.

I hope Shaun Smith is next, he certainly quit on the team and whatever he is getting paid, it's too much.

I'm just hoping they have a plan to get more draft picks so they can build this team the right way. Screw overpaid free agents.

I just don't see us taking any tackle at #5. If the guys (Curry? Raji?) that we are targeting are gone then that means that a desirable tackle is still there and we would be crazy not to try to trade that pick to a team wanting to move up and grab him before Cincy does.

I just don't see us taking any tackle at #5. If the guys (Curry? Raji?) that we are targeting are gone then that means that a desirable tackle is still there and we would be crazy not to try to trade that pick to a team wanting to move up and grab him before Cincy does.

Hope Eugene Monroe gets past Rams,chiefs and Seattle...I think jason Smith is the best choice for Detroit. Would love to screw the Bengals...and get extra picks. Phily could make a play for monroe.

Right!

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, but I'll say it again. To me, putting a #5 overall OT at RT would be a waste of his talent. He'd be overqualified. It sounds oh so delicious, but in the end, it's not the smartest use of a #5 overall pick, especially with the multitude of needs we have.

-Al

And then we can go back and read where most of our qb injuries the last few years didn't happen on the blind side.

You take the talent when and where you can.

A wasted pick is selecting a player who isn't as good as the one you passed up.

I love it. They are taking out the trash.

Shaffer was a bum and couldn't be traded with his contract. Guarantee whoever they get is better then Shaffer.

One thought comes to mind. When they are looking at film are they seeing a few guys who quit on the team at the end of the season. Shaffer absolutely sucked at the end of the year. Maybe Jones was hurt but he didn't leave it on the field. He was arm tackling.

I hope Shaun Smith is next, he certainly quit on the team and whatever he is getting paid, it's too much.

I'm just hoping they have a plan to get more draft picks so they can build this team the right way. Screw overpaid free agents.

Exactly Y-Town, I love the fact we are moving in this direction. I was a training camp last year watching the OL and you could just tell the difference between Thomas and everyone else. Shaffer had horrible footwork and looked slow. I'm glad the days of overpaying for average FA is threw.

Maybe, just maybe, Isaac Sowells will get some playing time. He's been riding the pine for what, 4 years?

I was waiting for the punch line, then realized that was the punch line.

LOL

Yea but we don't have anyone? I agree his contract was too big, but now what? What is going on here? At the end of the year I am either going to love these moves or hate em?

We have Ryan Tucker for at least this year...so we have this and next years draft and FA to fill the position. there are still a number of decent OT's that can be had cheap in this years FA crop..so I am not worried.

let's get alex boone in the 6th round and sign him to a 10 year, $100 million contract. he would live up to the billing... or he would get arrested 5 minutes after being signed because he went ape shit on another cop car.

A Boone should only be at the browns game tailgating- here he can bring it hard- if drinking is involved

We have Ryan Tucker for at least this year...so we have this and next years draft and FA to fill the position. there are still a number of decent OT's that can be had cheap in this years FA crop..so I am not worried.

Nor am I.

I know we will line up someone at the position, and seeing Shaffer wasn't more than average, I doubt we see a big decline.......and who knows, it is still open for Schaffer to return....we may end up with him before it is all said and done.

Yea but we don't have anyone? I agree his contract was too big, but now what? What is going on here? At the end of the year I am either going to love these moves or hate em?

I agree 100%.

Maybe he was not producing but if we keep cutting guys loose that just leaves us with more holes to fill.

And we don't have a ton of draft picks either and banking on a big trade or droping out of the first round for more picks is not a gaurantee either by a long shot.

Lets look at FA who's there at a resonable price and equally as good.... huh, I rest my case.

Tucker if healthy is a outstanding RT, what we need is a solid backup because of his injury history. We also need to start drafting some 2nd day OL guys and coaching them up, to be ready when guys like Steinbech and Tucker are ready to be replaced. Instead of bringing in 2 FA backup, average, offensive linemen. This team should have had guys being brought along to step in.

And, they need to shit or get off the pot with Sowells. Bringing in a guy like Goldberg who can play every line position is great for backup protection but we need to start growing our own linemen also.

Archived