THE BROWNS BOARD

BROWNS TO PAY DA'S BONUS

Sez.EJ

ARTICLE FROM ROTO TIMES:

Derek Anderson, QB, Cleveland Browns Thursday 3/12, 11:03 AM CT

The Browns plan on paying Derek Anderson his $5MM roster bonus on Friday, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Our View: GM George Kokinis is trying to get the best players on the team, and considers Anderson one of them. So it looks like Brady Quinn will have to fight for the starting gig at quarterback for 2009.

My view: DA is definately MORE tradeable after we pay the bonus. That is what I believe will happen. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also predicted the Browns would pay this bonus and not defer it. I also stand by my prediction he will be gone prior to the draft. DA.. I wish you all the best.. But this will be Quinns team next year. The bonus is due on the 15th.. but Roto times always seems to have the know lately... They had us signing Bowens 2-3 days before it was official.

I figure DA will be traded on draft day. Some team will be hoping Sanchez or Stafford fall to them. When they don't, they will get desperate and offer a 2nd for DA. At least thats my dream and I am sticking with it.

ARTICLE FROM ROTO TIMES:

The Browns plan on paying Derek Anderson his $5MM roster bonus on Friday, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Our View: GM George Kokinis is trying to get the best players on the team, and considers Anderson one of them. So it looks like Brady Quinn will have to fight for the starting gig at quarterback for 2009.

My view: DA is definately MORE tradeable after we pay the bonus. That is what I believe will happen. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also predicted the Browns would pay this bonus and not defer it. I also stand by my prediction he will be gone prior to the draft. DA.. I wish you all the best.. But this will be Quinns team next year. The bonus is due on the 15th.. but Roto times always seems to have the know lately... They had us signing Bowens 2-3 days before it was official.

I agree SEZ. I actually think that we already have a trade set up and DA will be on another team come Monday. My guess is Tampa Bay.

I think there are a few teams where DA could land. I think we see the writing on the wall. The "new Browns regime" wants draft picks ..lots of them....and RIGHT NOW... This is a really deep and talented draft pool that if done right can set the table for years to come for our franchise. Another 2nd or even a 3rd round pick for DA would be a HUGE.

Ok now I am going to get a bit crazy.. but check this out

Imagine Trading DA get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him......then trading out of the 5 spot to pick up 2-3 more draft picks..... WOW go into the draft and coming out ..with 4,5 even 6 high picks stepping onto the field this year..... OK.. I'm dreaming..

I could be out of my mind and DA does not get traded.. But I will be shocked if he is on the roster in April. As for the trade down from the 5 spot.. as much as I would like to see that, it's unlikely... Point is.. They pay DA the 5 mil.. then trade him..

It really does not suck to be DA.. get 5 mil from the Browns.. get traded..go sign a new contract with the new team and collect another big cash bonus.. Man life is tough.... hahahaha

I figure DA will be traded on draft day. Some team will be hoping Sanchez or Stafford fall to them. When they don't, they will get desperate and offer a 2nd for DA. At least thats my dream and I am sticking with it.

If you think about it, after the Browns pay him the bonus, he becomes a real bargain for teams enamored with his strong arm & his NFL experience as opposed to a high priced rookie "question mark". He may just bring that 2nd pick both you & I are dreaming of, or maybe even a mid to late 1st if packaged. The Browns are freeing enough under the cap that they could be a major draft player this year.

Mike

We've freed up a ton of cap money and I think part of the goal was to pull off this trade. If Anderson comes as cheap as he will... and it's damn cheap now for a couple years... I could see us getting Tampa or the NYJ's first pick. At least a second.

I'm getting the sense that Shaffer will resign on the cheap. They just ran out of time.

The Browns are looking to stockpile draft picks and strengthen the foundation of the team while surrounding them with versatile, high character guys who are familiar with Mangini's scheme.

So you feel certain Quinn is the direction they will move forward with?

We have so little on Mangini to judge upon, but he looks to be tidying up loose ends and previous projects from the last regime.

Well we need help in a lot of areas so we'll need those draft picks, the bad news is that we will have a lot of rookies on our team so don't expect any major improvement in our final records, however the fruits of our labor should be very tangible in 2010.

It would be great to suceed this year -

but i'm seething mad still about last year and will accept a new everything as long as they are trying and stabilizing the franchise.

ARTICLE FROM ROTO TIMES:

when they pay him is bonus, will it mean that we will find out what we got for k2? someone said last week that they aren't announcing the trade terms because it might involve da going to the bucks and the browns were going to pay the bonus. if that is the case, then i think that we got a first and second rounder this year considering both players were in the pro bowl last year. that's just my hope though.

let me get this "logic" correct... We pay 5 million to get another 2nd possibly that we have to pay another 1-2 million for that may potentially work out in the NFL. So this could be a 5-7 million dollar swing for another draft pick financially.....

All because of 3 regular season games and bQ draft position. Mangini and co are going to pigeon hole themselves on the hardest position to fill in the NFL AND make a 5-7 million financial swing for another draft pick.... Genius.

let me get this "logic" correct... We pay 5 million to get another 2nd possibly that we have to pay another 1-2 million for that may potentially work out in the NFL. So this could be a 5-7 million dollar swing for another draft pick financially.....

All because of 3 regular season games and bQ draft position. Mangini and co are going to pigeon hole themselves on the hardest position to fill in the NFL AND make a 5-7 million financial swing for another draft pick.... Genius.

The overall money you're talking about is the same whether we keep him or not. The bonus was guaranteed (5 million) and his base salary is 1.5 million. So the total investment is 7 million either way. The only question is whether they feel the team has too many holes to keep the 7 million potentially in their backup QB or whether they feel they need to fill more holes.

Food for thought here: You say that the QB position is the hardest to fill, I believe your right, however perhaps ManKok looked at the film from last year and decided that NEITHER QB could succeed with the pieces that were in place. Ergo one needs to be traded to make up depth in order for the other to succeed.

I dont think mankok is going to trade DA so who starts comes down to mangini's new addiction to DA's intoxicating arm and probowl status versus BQ"s potential versatility and 3 start status...wonder who will start? ;)

I'm 100% when going against your predictions so... I say DA is traded :)

I dont think mankok is going to trade DA so who starts comes down to mangini's new addiction to DA's intoxicating arm and probowl status versus BQ"s potential versatility and 3 start status...wonder who will start? ;)

True...but seeing as Brett Favre's intoxicating arm is what got him shit-canned in NY...I doubt DA's arm is going to have much effect on him.

small the overall money is NOT the same. IF you trade him AFTER we pay out the 5 million for a draft pick we then have to sign and pay ANOTHER contract to a 2nd rounder WHO may or may not pan out. The net swing for basically a 2nd rounder would be 5-7 million... that is ludicrous.

These BQ blind fans who keep talking about us unloading DA for a draft pick were the SAME ones last year who were convinced we would trade or release him.

We are not paying 5 million for a backup... we are paying for a 10 win season and a FRANCHISE best home record... meaning a potential starter.

Like I said a 5-7 million dollar financial swing for a potential 2nd rounder who may or may not even make it 2 years in the NFL.... Pure Genius logic for Mangini and company to pigeon hole themselves in for a 1st round draft pick and 3 mediocre games against crap defenses. Makes PERFECT sense.

small the overall money is NOT the same. IF you trade him AFTER we pay out the 5 million for a draft pick we then have to sign and pay ANOTHER contract to a 2nd rounder WHO may or may not pan out. The net swing for basically a 2nd rounder would be 5-7 million... that is ludicrous.

These BQ blind fans who keep talking about us unloading DA for a draft pick were the SAME ones last year who were convinced we would trade or release him.

We are not paying 5 million for a backup... we are paying for a 10 win season and a FRANCHISE best home record... meaning a potential starter.

Like I said a 5-7 million dollar financial swing for a potential 2nd rounder who may or may not even make it 2 years in the NFL.... Pure Genius logic for Mangini and company to pigeon hole themselves in for a 1st round draft pick and 3 mediocre games against crap defenses. Makes PERFECT sense.

Wow, you really are struggling to grasp whats going on.

Yep, and we were right then too, huh Sevs?

OK Adam yes I must be struggling with net result of our financial transactions in these hypothetical trades. Why dont you explain where my net numbers are off.

Lets see we FUND 5 million... trade him away for some sort of possible 2nd round draft pick who we then have to SIGN and PAY MORE....

OK Adam yes I must be struggling with net result of our financial transactions in these hypothetical trades. Why dont you explain where my net numbers are off.

Lets see we FUND 5 million... trade him away for some sort of possible 2nd round draft pick who we then have to SIGN and PAY MORE....

Listen very closely. We pay the 5 million no matter what. Weather we trade him / release him / kill him / stick him in a stew.

We either pay it today, or we pay it next year. There is no avoiding it.

Sev...and second rounder is going to be a TOTAL of 5-7M (likely a $1-2M cap hit THIS year)....not a CAP HIT of 5-7M....

So, we get a late 1st or early 2nd rounder for about the EXACT SAME CAP HIT this year....and about $5.5M LESS on the cap hit next year....and in a position where he might actually see the field and make an impact WITHOUT HOPING ANOTHER PLAYER SHITS THE BED (read BQ here).

Just so we are all on the same page here.

Adam um THAT IS OBVIOUS... That is why that 5 million COST IS ADDED to my net figures..... THAN IF we trade him for a draft pick we have to add the draft picks NEW CONTRACT amount to the 5 million meaning we trade DA for a prospect plus the additional cost of the new contract and our bonus we have to pay out ANYWAYS.

DA is at least a good backup if not starter at his age... a second is well just a prospect.. so we will pay out 5-7 million for a prospect in exchange for at least a competitive backup qb....

I am not referring to a cap hit this year WPB just basic net fundings for this year. We are going to pay out 5 million anyways this year to trade DA for a 2nd AFTER we pay him in a couple days only adds to our cost THIS year. Next year is another animal.

I dont believe for a second unless a major 1st and 4th was offered Mangini and company are going to trade DA this year.

I am not referring to a cap hit this year WPB just basic net fundings for this year. We are going to pay out 5 million anyways this year to trade DA for a 2nd AFTER we pay him in a couple days only adds to our cost THIS year. Next year is another animal.

I dont believe for a second unless a major 1st and 4th was offered Mangini and company are going to trade DA this year.

New coaches/GMs LOVE to remake a team in their image.

Mangini won with weak armed but accurate Pennington...and was on the record as being COMPLETELY AGAINST bringing in Favre and getting rid of Pennington. Then, Favre cost Mangini his job.

Kokinis has already said his job is to get Mangini the kinds of players that MANGINI WANTS at each position.

So, with that in mind...if you were to compare the QB's in question...DA is Favre lite (very lite)...and BQ is Pennington with additional arm strength (maybe not quite as accurate...but a pretty close comparison). So, given this situation...who do you think is LIKELY to be the guy that Mangini would be interested in keeping around?

Further...DA has already made comments about Cleveland (kinda like K2...and look where he is). DA has also not been noted to be anywhere near Berea...and all we hear is about how BQ is picking the new OC's brain and meeting with the new QB coach.

This all says a lot more than the deafening silence coming out of Berea.

But back to my original comment. Coaches/GM's like to remake the team in their image. So they tend to trade or cut the players that don't fit that image for players or draft picks that WILL fit that image.

So, as DA is the lite version of the QB that Mangini DIDN'T want...he is not likely going to fit the new system...and therefore is worth more in trade value than in bench sitting. Simple.

Careful. Your crush is showing through again.

We're talking about a guy who won't be more than a career backup in the NFL anyway...

Maybe I am not reading this right. But when, ever, has a second round pick gotten 5-7 million GUARANTEED? That's what we're talking about here is what the 2nd rounder would net. No matter what the Browns did this year they had to pay that 5 million. That leaves his base @1.5 for the rest of the season. So if you trade DA you're looking to replace his 1.5 million for the season. And I don't believe a 2nd rounder is going to break the bank on that one.

In addition to BQ hanging with the OC and QB coach, Anderson has told friends he doesn't expect to be in Cleveland.

Yes and seeing as how it is questionable whether Anderson even wants to play in Cleveland, the fact that Quinn still can't get a vote of confidence from his coach is another enormous blow to his lackluster career.

Yes and seeing as how it is questionable whether Anderson even wants to play in Cleveland, the fact that Quinn still can't get a vote of confidence from his coach is another enormous blow to his lackluster career.

Such a close minded comment that completely ignores the poker game that is involved prior to the draft. I really don't care which QB you're pulling for; for the coach or the FO to come out right now and declare a starter would completely diminish the others trade value across the league. And it doesn't really matter that everyone knows there's a smoke screen going on, it still leaves doubt in their (other organizations) minds as to whom the Browns value more.

Such a close minded comment that completely ignores the poker game that is involved prior to the draft. I really don't care which QB you're pulling for; for the coach or the FO to come out right now and declare a starter would completely diminish the others trade value across the league. And it doesn't really matter that everyone knows there's a smoke screen going on, it still leaves doubt in their (other organizations) minds as to whom the Browns value more.

Pretty interesting that there are no rumors of DA hanging out with the OC and QB coach. You would think, if he were in their plans, he would also be working hard with the coaches.

Makes you wonder... wait... no it doesnt. Retard.

hate directed at lum's stupidity, not the person I'm replying to.

Archived