THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 Draft Targets

Harry Buffalo

The assumptions for this thread are as follows. We will assume that all of our FA signings will perform at a level that they have with past teams and we will assume that all our picks from the 1st-3rd round are solid. Along with this we will assume that all our players from last year will perform at a similar level as they did in the previous season. Based on all this identify what our draft needs will be based on lack of talent and or players leaving through FA.

QB: Obviously at this point we have zero clue what we have in Johnny Manziel. What he showed us last year was horrible but maybe he pulls it all together after changing his mindset and focus in the offseason. He did scary things in college with coaches who planned around his lack of preparation and vises, so it's kind of scary to think what he can do if he puts forth maximum effort towards being a starting NFL QB, something he did not do last season.

Now assuming Manziel performs at the same level as he did in his rookie season, this obviously becomes our #1 need. The good thing is there are currently quite a few quality QB's who will be coming out into the draft next year. This will be the draft of the Big 10 QB's. The top three guys I have seen are Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg for Penn State, and Connor Cook from Michigan State. The good thing here is if we see ourselves picking around the same spot again next year, it shouldn't be too hard to trade up for one of these guys, or for one of them to actually fall to us. Everyone is declaring Cardale as the #1 QB and #1 overall pick, even though he only has three starts. But that assumption is also based on the assumption that he is the starting QB in 2015. If he isn't he easily falls to the middle of the 1st round.

WR: At this point our best two WR's are aging FA signings who are a few seasons removed from their best seasons. Even if they perform better than they have in the previous few years, they are both going to be close or at 30 by the time the 2016 season starts, so it's time that we focus on finding a WR, cause we all know that if Gordon is still on the team come that point, there is zero way we can rely on him playing at his past pro bowl level or keeping from getting suspended again.

I've seen several names thrown around as top guys in next years draft, but I know very little about any of them. There is Treadwell from Ole Miss who is coming off a knee injury and Tyler Boyd who has put up 1000+ yard seasons in both his freshmen and sophomore years out of Pitt. These are the only two I am really familiar with, so any other suggestions would be great.

TE: At this point we do not have a starting caliber receiving threat at TE. We just don't. I also don't expect anyone on our roster to suddenly become a 600+ yard TE threat. So who do we go and get? I think that is too hard to say at this point. TE tend to make their case in the season leading up to the draft, and in alot of cases the big board for TE's gets made after the combine and pro days. I'm sure we will see a guy who switches from basketball to play one year as a TE get his name known, but right now picking a guy at TE is trying to pick the best 300 yard receiver you can find that is over 6'4" tall.

OLB: Assuming that Orchard comes in and plays well as a second round pick, we are going to need to keep looking for more rushers at OLB. Mingo to this point hasn't shown the rushing ability that he was supposed to have coming out of college and he is basically just a coverage LB at this point, and Kruger has never shown the ability to be a 10+ sack type of LB since his last season with the Ravens. When you add in the fact that Kruger is getting up their in age it becomes more clear that his replacement needs to be found. This is another position where it is hard to grab some names that might fit. Some will strictly be DE's in a 4-3. At the same time you typically have a bunch of names grouped together until someone shows that they are that 10+ sack guy in their final college season. Two names that I can currently think of that might work out are Dareen Lee out of Ohio State and Shilique Calhoun out of Michigan State.

MLB and Safety: I'm going to start off by saying that I have no idea who would be a good prospect to start looking at to take over as either MLB, SS, or FS. All I know is that we have an aging SS who is going into his double digits for NFL seasons and a FS who may not be resigning with us come FA next year and a 32+ year old MLB who already missed time last year do to injuries.

Our Biggest Needs, (WR, TE, Safety): I've picked these three based on the assumption that things simply work out at QB. Cause if I didn't have at least some hope that things will be ok then what is the point of watching next season. Obviously if things don't work out QB becomes our #1 need and we should do everything possible to make sure we get our franchise QB come next year. After that is it pretty clear cut. We don't have a #1 caliber WR. Find one and get one. We don't have a starting caliber TE. Find one and gets one. This works out well cause it is fairly easy to grab the #1 WR in round 1 and the starting TE in rounds 2-3. Our other need is Safety. I had a hard time deciding between this and MLB and it all entirely depends on what Gibson decides to do. If he goes we need someone to replace him right off the bat. If not it is a toss up finding the future replacement to either Whitner or Dansby.

So share what you think. Do you see our needs being different? Are there any prospects that you know we should be looking at right off the bat?

Love ya, HB... but still recovering from my 2015 Draft hangover.

Maybe in the Fall...

The Cleveland Browns select Cardale Jones. I'd love him to be a Brown but I don't know if Pettine would survive the season if we pick top 10 again.

1. Tennessee Titans - Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
4. Washington - Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State
5. Oakland Raiders - Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor
6. Cleveland Browns - Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State
7. Atlanta Falcons - Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame
8. Houston Texans - Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State
9. New York Jets - Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
10. Carolina Panthers - Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
11. Chicago Bears - Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
12. Kansas City Chiefs - Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
13. San Diego Chargers - Spencer Drango, OT, Baylor
14. Miami Dolphins - Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
15. St. Louis Rams - Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
16. Minnesota Vikings - D’haquille Williams, WR, Auburn
17. New Orleans Saints - Carl Lawson, DE/OLB, Auburn
18. Cincinnati Bengals - A’Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
19. San Francisco 49ers - TreDavious White, CB, LSU
20. Buffalo Bills - Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State
21. Detroit Lions - Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
22. Arizona Cardinals - Robert Nkemdiche, DE, Ole Miss
23. Pittsburgh Steelers - Eddie Jackson, CB/S, Alabama
24. New York Giants - Rashard Higgins, WR, Colorado State
25. Baltimore Ravens - Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
26. Philadelphia Eagles - Su’a Cravens, S/LB, Southern California
27. Denver Broncos - Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State
28. Dallas Cowboys - Tony Conner, S, Ole Miss
29. New England Patriots - Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh
30. Seattle Seahawks - Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
31. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
32. Green Bay Packers - DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/5/2/8534321/2016-nfl-mock-draft-prospects-cardale-jones-joey-bosa-christian-hackenberg-connor-cook-

What picks do we have for next year as it stands?

A ton: in addition to 1-7 we are scheduled for 2 comp picks in the 4th and 2 in the 5th.

http://overthecap.com/2016-compensatory-draft-pick-update-3132015/

And of course we likely get JG back.

By the way someone has us as the 3rd worst team in the 2016 draft and taking Cardale Jones. Such confidence! :P

A ton: in addition to 1-7 we are scheduled for 2 comp picks in the 4th and 2 in the 5th.

http://overthecap.com/2016-compensatory-draft-pick-update-3132015/

Thanks for that, was hopeful of a comp in the third as we lost some high profile starters in Sheard, Cameron and Skrine

Thanks for that, was hopeful of a comp in the third as we lost some high profile starters in Sheard, Cameron and Skrine

Well even Murray was only worth a 4th so we should count our lucky stars that our hurt TE got us a 4.

For comparison, Suh was worth a 3 at the top of the heap.

Well even Murray was only worth a 4th so we should count our lucky stars that our hurt TE got us a 4.

For comparison, Suh was worth a 3 at the top of the heap.

Fair point indeed. Another load of picks then, nobody can say Farmer didn't get the chance to build his roster how he wanted, up to him to execute it.

I think he will.

On my A&M board I made a long "State of the Browns" post so people could get acquainted with what's going on. In my draft conclusion post this is how I listed 2016 FA/draft needs:

1. Quarterback IF one isn't found this season. Next year's QB class is absolutely loaded. Guys all over the place. Farmer and Pettine may be at a place with the rest of the team where they feel they can make that big splash deal for a QB. Cardale Jones is the hometown kid and he just screams "AFC North." Let's hope it's all a moot point.

2. Tight End. Hopefully we found a solid blocker in Tefler, but we need to replace Jordan Cameron's production as a receiver.

3. Tall, elite-level receiver. Like I've said ad nauseum, this is a luxury. You can be an elite team and not have this. Also, Josh Gordon may be this guy for you.

4. More depth at both inside and outside linebacker.

5. An elite RB if Crow and West don't prove themselves this season.

Now do you see the Farmer QB Plan.. The surrounding pieces now in place. 2016 A QB and Finally a Featured WR not named Josh or Gordon.. I Think ;)

Below are some of the 2016 mock drafts floating around the internet already. Obviously, these are all way, way, way premature. However, nearly all of them (with the exception of one) have the Browns taking a quarterback.

Most mocks have us taking Cardale Jones, while one SI.com has us taking Hackenberg. The consensus seems to be that Manziel isn't going to turn it around this year, McCown won't recreate his wonder year from Chicago - and Vegas believes our "rush heavy" offense isn't going to net us very much success without a viable QB to keep defenses honest.

1 - Tennesee Titans - SHAWN OAKMAN, DE
2 - Jacksonville Jaguars - RONNIE STANLEY, OT
3 - Washington Redskins - JOEY BOSA, DE
4 - Tampa Bay Bucs - DEFOREST BUCKNER, DE
5 - Oakland Raiders - LAREMY TUNSIL, OT
6 - Cleveland Browns - CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG, QB

1 - Tennesee Titans - Joey Bosa, DE
2 - Jacksonville Jaguars - Shawn Oakman, DE
3 - Washington Redskins - Connor Cook, QB
4 - Tampa Bay Bucs - Ronnie Stanley, OT
5 - Oakland Raiders - Jalen Mills, CB
6 - Cleveland Browns - Cardale Jones

1. Tennessee Titans - Joey Bosa, DE
2. Oakland Raiders - Laremy Tunsil, OT
3. Cleveland Browns - Cardale Jones, QB
4. San Fransisco 49ers - Vernon Hargreaves, CB
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Robert Nkemdiche, DE

1. Tennessee Titans - Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
4. Washington - Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State
5. Oakland Raiders - Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor
6. Cleveland Browns - Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ronnie Stanley, OT
2. Tennessee Titans - Robert Nkemdiche, DE
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Joey Bosa, DE
4. Oakland Raiders - Ezekiel Elliott, RB
5. Washington Redskins - Christian Hackenberg, QB
6. New York Jets - Laremy Tunsil, OT
7. Chicago Bears - Jaylon Smith, LB
8. Atlanta Falcons - DeForest Buckner, DT
9. New York Giants - Vernon Hargreaves III, CB
10. St. Louis Rams - Laquon Treadwell, WR
11. Minnesota Vikings - A'Shawn Robinson, DT
12. Cleveland Browns - Cardale Jones, QB

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Ohio State DE Joey Bosa
2. Tennessee Titans -- Baylor DE Shawn Oakman
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Notre Dame OT Ronnie Stanley
4. Oakland Raiders -- Florida CB Vernon Hargreaves III:
5. Washington Redskins -- Michigan State QB Connor Cook.
6. New York Jets -- UCLA OLB Myles Jack
7. Chicago Bears -- Georgia OLB Leonard Floyd
8. Atlanta Falcons -- Oklahoma State DE Emmanuel Ogbah
9. New York Giants -- Virginia Tech CB Kendall Fuller
10. St. Louis Rams -- Mississippi OT Laremy Tunsil
11. Minnesota Vikings -- Alabama RB Derrick Henry
12. Cleveland Browns -- Alabama DT A'Shawn Robinson

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Ohio State DE Joey Bosa
2. Tennessee Titans -- Notre Dame OT Ronnie Stanley
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Florida CB Vernon Hargreaves III
4. Oakland Raiders -- Alabama DT A'Shawn Robinson
5. Washington Redskins -- California QB Jared Goff