THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 Draft Targets

Harry Buffalo

Superior, but no "can't miss" prospects.... again... At least none that can be seen from Spring, 2015.

why would someone have us taking another DT?

Something to do with Big Phil's contract being up I'd guess.

This is way premature. They have no idea how good any of our players will be, this is a whole new team. Three QB's that we haven't really seen yet, Manziel, Shaw and McCown. The new WR Duo, plus a few new faces, a new running game featuring new TEs and an improved offensive line. I haven't even talked about the Defense yet- but my BOLD prediction is that they will finish top 3 in the NFL. This team is going to be better by a lot than they were last year. The pundits and critics are to dimwitted and near thinking to see any different. We picked 12th this year and we could have been even higher than that if we didn't sustain the injuries and the late season meltdown. But, think of it this way, if we didn't tank at the end of the season we would never had been in position to draft the players that we did. We got a lot-lot better. 11+ Wins, my lowside prediction.

If JF ends up taking over the starting position he will likely struggle the first half of the season as all new starting QB's almost invariably do. So drafting inside at least the top 15 is likely to occur.

These are based off of Vegas odds or this year's draft order.

Also, no we won't.

We shall see. The main thing missing obviously is a top of the line franchise QB. But the team is strengthened just about everywhere else. McCown will be a steady veteran hand in control. Obviously not spectacular. So I figure probably mid teens.

(Point being....where they will draft next year, they probably again will not be in position to take the cream of the crop at QB)

Next year's QB crop could include: Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, Jared Goff, and Cody Kessler.

I think that's FAR superior to this years crop.

Is it? I guess I need to see the college season play out as, after 12 Gauge....who honestly is still really a mystery who could be just a flash, I am NOT all that impressed with those other names. I don''t see a Winston/Mariota/Newton...and certainly no Luck in that bunch.

Is it? I guess I need to see the college season play out as, after 12 Gauge....who honestly is still really a mystery who could be just a flash, I am NOT all that impressed with those other names. I don''t see a Winston/Mariota/Newton...and certainly no Luck in that bunch.

If the 2016 draft were today, Cook is probably the second QB off the board behind Christian Hackenberg. However, if Cook's career continues to progress, I think he'll be the first QB taken next year. I like the toolset that Hackenberg possesses. I like that he has experience in a play-action, pro-style offense. However, my biggest detractor for Hackenberg is also what I feel to be Cook's biggest benefit. I get the impression that the Penn State offense protects Hackenberg and emphasizes him, while the Michigan State offense pushes Cook. Cook plays a grittier type of football. While it isn't the prettiest, Cook seems like he's almost ready to turn the page.

In order to eliminate as many variables as I can, I compared first half performances against Ohio State in 2014. Common opponent, same time of day, same score differential (for the most part). I understand this is projecting a sample to a population and is a common logical fallacy, but....screw it, the draft is a year away. More than enough time between now and then for my opinion to change.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/connor-cook-vs-ohio-state-2014/

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/christian-hackenberg-vs-ohio-state-2014/

I see a PSU offense that protected Hackenberg by primarily sticking near the bottom of the route tree and playing sideline to sideline. PSU started off with a number of quick hitches, in what I'm assuming was both an attempt to set the pace as well as bait up a safety, but the strategy was an overall failure. I also slightly get the feeling that Hackenberg is rattled easily, in this game I got a heavy "captain checkdown" vibe. PSU played Hackenberg no favors with the playcalling, it was as vanilla as it could be. However, that is also a cause of concern to me - as I wonder if the vanilla playcalling, the high-percentage PA passes and the occasional 50-50 ball to an All-American WR (in 2013) are all scripted solely for Hackenberg to shine. Hackenberg reminds me plenty of Brady Quinn. A guy who seemingly has all of the tools, runs a pro-style offense, has played well in big games, and then fizzles in the pros when the scripted offense busts.

Final game stats: 31 completions | 49 attempts | 63.3% completion | 1 TD | 2 INT | 100.2 rating

Comparatively, I see an MSU offense that opens the game up pushing Cook immediately...starting off with a PA deep post against 2-high coverage. MSU got lucky on a roll out that turned into a TD, but overall Cook was asked to make plenty of NFL reads (and throws) in that first quarter - a handful of outs, a backside screen, a deep curl, etc. Cook's play against a very good defense wasn't disappointing, it was solid, exciting and inspired. At this stage in his career, Cook physically reminds me of Philip Rivers and mentally reminds me of Andrew Luck - he plays gritty but he can make any single throw you ask of him and he prepares like a coach.

Final game stats: 25 completions | 45 attempts | 55.6% completion | 358 yards | 2 TD | 0 INT | 127 rating

Cook isn't polished. He's like a pony that hasn't quite found his legs fully. But he's being pushed by the MSU staff and he's pushing back - attending offseason training camps, working out with George Whitfield, staying for another year to refine his technique (and to beat Meatchicken again).

I don't like highlight videos. I try to refrain from ever watching them; they're normally just a series of wide open streaks for TD's or stupid lucky plays that rarely ever happen. However, this highlight reel of Cook is similar to what they aired for Jameis during the draft. It features plenty of NFL-caliber throws as well as plenty of attributes you like to see in a quarterback (working up the pocket, standing tall and delivering a strike while taking a hit, etc.)

Hackenberg absolutely leaves me cold. Only positive I can find is that he shows great determination in throwing to his primary... even if he's on his way into fetal position due to seeing pressure coming.

The bar for being considered a top prospect seems to get lower and lower...

Archived