THE BROWNS BOARD

Shaun Rogers

Skinny

Guest John McClane
This is a non story. I forget who it was, but someone didn't show up to the VOLUNTARY workouts last year either, and nothing happened with them.

I agree. It isn't mandatory that they show up so why worry. Now if he starts skipping mandatory things and doesn't mind paying fines then I'd start worrying.

I am liking Mangini more and more.

I see it like this...and this isn't necessarily directed at you Gipper .

In the past, most fans were really high on everybody we hired, and all of those coaches, GM's sucked.

Being a firm believer that most of the people in this country are dumb asses....note I said most, ....it gives me a warm feeling that most of the people aren't real happy with Mangini at this point.

I really don't care who we trade or cut....it was evident it wasn't going to work with what we had. So now we have the new guy. Coaches unlike players who need 5-6 games, need 17-18 games. We will know by then if we are on track or not.

After some thought, it struck me this morning that Rich had a thread up detailing why it would be wise to trade Rogers.

He mostly got ridiculed and in time the thread was deleted.

Now, 2 weeks later, people are calling for his release or trade if he doesn't shape up.

Just a FYI for those with a short memory.

I've been saying the only safe Brown was Joe Thomas, i actually like the no nonsense approach from Mangini.

Mangini has no obligation to say anything to the media, until i think after the first game or before the first game.

Let everyone stew in the shit there spewing :lol:

Rogers was great last year....BUT

1. He came from Detroit where losing was a way of life

2. he came here and we lost

3. he sees us in a rebuild situation

4. we are likely to lose again next year

5. He just turned 30 on March 12th

All this adds up to him not wanting to be around here. He needs to be traded in his own mind so he has a chance to be on a winning team before he retires.

I think that his 'I got dissed by the coach' thing is just an excuse to force a trade because he sees his chance of winning anything in this league slipping away...and he sees this coming year (or two) as just more of the same if he stays here.

As such...he is known for taking plays off when he is not happy...so trading him is also in the best interest of the Browns.

I don't know the cap hit we would take, but I do know there were $20M in guaranteed money in his contract.

After some thought, it struck me this morning that Rich had a thread up detailing why it would be wise to trade Rogers.

He mostly got ridiculed and in time the thread was deleted.

Now, 2 weeks later, people are calling for his release or trade if he doesn't shape up.

Just a FYI for those with a short memory.

I believe Rich's take was to outright release Rogers because he is "worthless".

But I'll let him speak for himself.

Zombo

BEfore you go off the deep end with all the speculation...

Did Rogers attend EVERY voluntary mini camp last year??

To me this could just be the case of a 30 year old veteran who's already known to take plays off, not wanting to go through these camps.

I've never seen an actualy quote from either Rogers or Mangini saying there is this huge problem...only just the usual "unnamed" sources.

The problem im starting to have with mankok is unlike most coaches/gms they arent putting any of these rumors to rest or confirming them and they arent saying anything about where they stand with rogers..they need to get on the ball PR wise...but at this point perhaps rich is right we should trade rogers if they cant reconcile their differences..

Even belichick is more open than mangini..

In the end, the key for me is this word:

voluntary

Sure we like it when guys show up, and coaches get all mad when guys don't, but in the end, the coach has to go pound salt or get rid of the guy.

If Rogers doesn't show for mandatory mini camps or whatnot, then I get concerned.

Rogers knows nobody is going to beat him out, so there isn't a lot of incentive to head to Cleveland at this time.

FYI - The Browns would take a $9.7 million salary-cap hit if they cut Rogers, according to the report, but they have no intentions of releasing him.

Even if they traded him he would have about the same cap hit, so he isn't going anywhere

I am liking Mangini more and more.

I see it like this...and this isn't necessarily directed at you Gipper .

In the past, most fans were really high on everybody we hired, and all of those coaches, GM's sucked.

Being a firm believer that most of the people in this country are dumb asses....note I said most, ....it gives me a warm feeling that most of the people aren't real happy with Mangini at this point.

I really don't care who we trade or cut....it was evident it wasn't going to work with what we had. So now we have the new guy. Coaches unlike players who need 5-6 games, need 17-18 games. We will know by then if we are on track or not.

Im still big on mankok but i expect them to live up to their words especially about team players/discipline and also to do what even belichick does and thats squish rumors..i believe mangini said earlier this year that he wanted to see both bq and da on the field to get a better feel of them so i dont believe bq or da are going anywhere (no trade posturing folks)however rogers isnt being a team player so perhaps we should take the cap hit trade his fat arse and use him as an example of what wont be tolorated i love the guys motor but he sucks as a human being and its becoming obvious he may not play hard for mangini if we force him to stay..

Its way too early to render any decisions on mankok and im still way onboard but this silence and lack of media control via PR is starting to tick me off a bit i consider the browns public relations with fans to be non-existant since 1999 and a huge part of the average fans overall poor opinion of the organization as a whole..

Im still big on mankok but i expect them to live up to their words especially about team players/discipline and also to do what even belichick does and thats squish rumors..i believe mangini said earlier this year that he wanted to see both bq and da on the field to get a better feel of them so i dont believe bq or da are going anywhere (no trade posturing folks)however rogers isnt being a team player so perhaps we should take the cap hit trade his fat arse and use him as an example of what wont be tolorated i love the guys motor but he sucks as a human being and its becoming obvious he may not play hard for mangini if we force him to stay..

Its way too early to render any decisions on mankok and im still way onboard but this silence and lack of media control via PR is starting to tick me off a bit i consider the browns public relations with fans to be non-existant since 1999 and a huge part of the average fans overall poor opinion of the organization as a whole..

Welcome to the Parcel's way. Belichick adopted it, Mangini did it in NY and now you see McDaniel and even Pioli doing it. The reason is every time you talk to the media you are airing your dirty laundry or the story gets blown out of proportion.

Before people piss all over Rogers, maybe they need to find out why. First, the workouts are voluntary. Second, many teams allow players to continue to work out in their hometowns because of some family issues. Rogers was in and out of town over the winter and was working out at the facility in Berea. Third, maybe he was excused by Mangini until they get their tiff behind them. If you look at other teams, many veteran players don't come in. It doesn't mean they aren't team players. Preseason OTAs thru postseason is about 9+ months. Aren't players entitled to their offseason per the collective bargaining agreement?

BTW, no conformation that Anderson or Edwards were here at the beginning of the week. Winslow used to workout at home.

................. i love the guys motor but he sucks as a human being and its becoming obvious he may not play hard for mangini if we force him to stay..

his motor is the ONLY problem. :blink:

as far as sucking as a human being, the guy may not cater to Browns fans in public places but his pr interviews are all class, a total pro.

how many interviews did you watch of his last year gips? if you had i doubt you'd be saying what you're saying. maybe the Browns multimedia vault still has them if you're interested.

nothing is obvious to me, and kokman owes you nothing. just sit back and enjoy. the team is improving daily right before your eyes.

Savage signed accomplished yet over-priced free agents on the back end of their careers who played just well enough to keep the youth off the field.

i feel most of these guys kok/man are bringing in aren't necessarily meant to start, they're solid but more like measuring sticks who collectively make up the core. the youth should be able to get the start over them......and if they can't, they'll get swapped out.

a much, much better approach IMO.

how many interviews did you watch of his last year gips? if you had i doubt you'd be saying what you're saying. maybe the Browns multimedia vault still has them if you're interested.

I know I was impressed with him in the interviews I saw. He was actually very humble and well spoken. It seemed odd in this day and age.

Well with all the "Team First" conversation and all , it would better to get off on the right foot . I am talking about all sides in this matter .

I have a feeling Coach will win all pissing contests on this team .

I agree it would be better, and agree the coach will win unless he is a wimp......but not over this.

I know I was impressed with him in the interviews I saw. He was actually very humble and well spoken. It seemed odd in this day and age.

well put OC. he was humble, intelligent, classy, professional-it was the epitome of what you'd like to see, taking no personal credit for plays and complimenting those around him. he answered everything directly w/out really revealing anything.

after such a shy start i never ever would have thought he'd be that way. he's got it down pat.

i hope this whole thing blows over and the Browns actually have some success moving forward.

i want his decision to come to CLE to be one he is happy he made. a happy Rogers is a nice piece of the puzzle.

Unless there's some reason why Mangini would INTENTIONALLY be trying to get rid of Rogers, this was a badly mismanaged situation.

Rogers is certainly being a bit of a crybaby, but Mangini either truly didn't know who one of his few premier players was, or he intentionally snubbed him.

Neither is a sign of good management.

It'd be one thing if the team had a ton of talent and Mangini wanted to make an example of someone (which he most certainly will in training camp - cutting a veteran to make a point) - but that's not the case and Rogers is someone I'd want to keep on the team for as long as possible, rather than have him disgruntled and demanding a trade.

Mangini's history on such matters with the Jets isn't good - with numerous players seemingly able to dictate to the coach and GM demanding trades or lucrative contract extensions. That'd be a worry if Mangini were setting the same standard in Cleveland.

Mangini's history on such matters with the Jets isn't good - with numerous players seemingly able to dictate to the coach and GM demanding trades or lucrative contract extensions. That'd be a worry if Mangini were setting the same standard in Cleveland.

here's to hoping he has learned from the past.

**insert cheers smiley**

Once again, Joe, your strange anti-Mangini vendetta skews your perspective.

Mangini didn't snub Rogers. They were at the same event. Mangini presented an award and left. Rogers may or may not have even seen him. Mangini has stated publicly he didn't run into Rogers.

I get the argument that Mangini should have reached out to his core players immediately, and there's validity to that argument, but that argument doesn't apply in this situation. Rogers took this thing public because he felt dissed. Key word: "felt" not 'was".

We won't know what Mangini may or may not have done with Rogers because Rogers started crying before Mangini actually had a chance to "reach out".

For an interesting counterpoint to this whole thing, look at how Josh Cribbs approached the new coach and his comments on those meetings.

here's to hoping he has learned from the past.

**insert cheers smiley**

My friend, you are absolutely blind and not to be insulting but, clueless if you think this is a Mangini created problem.

This is about a guy who say Haynesworth get a $100 miillion contract. It has nothing to do about ignoring him at a function that it has already been noted by Pluto, who was there, that Mangini had his back turned to him talking to Shapiro when Rogers went by him. Mangini didn't even know Rogers was there. Mangini left after a very short while and didn't stay to mingle.

Rogers is acting like a prima donna and wants paid like one. Too bad, he will play for the Browns at what he's signed for or he won't play. Screw him.

My friend, you are absolutely blind and not to be insulting but, clueless if you think this is a Mangini created problem.

This is about a guy who say Haynesworth get a $100 miillion contract. It has nothing to do about ignoring him at a function that it has already been noted by Pluto, who was there, that Mangini had his back turned to him talking to Shapiro when Rogers went by him. Mangini didn't even know Rogers was there. Mangini left after a very short while and didn't stay to mingle.

Rogers is acting like a prima donna and wants paid like one. Too bad, he will play for the Browns at what he's signed for or he won't play. Screw him.

eh? i see no "Mangini created problem" and how you got that from my post is beyond me. none of this is news to me--you should stop trying to educate people.

i read the board too friend, and i miss little news on my team.

before you inject yourself into other's replies maybe try to get the point right. or just address the right person.

This is all overblown media BS.. I seriously doubt Rogers is being the "big baby".. and I don't think he ever went to voluntary workouts in Detoit either. It is a non situation blown up by a bunch of schoolgirls in the media, and fed to us as reality....which I doubt there any substance to this at all. That being said..we are not getting rid of our BEST defensive player.

Archived