THE BROWNS BOARD

How do you think ManKok is doing so far?

JoeSixPat

Wondering how pleased Brown fans are with ManKok so far.

From my outsider perspective things have been MUCH quieter than I would have been expecting of a team that needs so much rebuilding.

As everyone knows there's three off season phases, all of which are critical to rebuilding a team

1. Free Agency

2. the Draft and

3. Trades

Mankok seems to have passed on making any big moves in the early phase of free agency - aside from trading away and releasing certain players. That's a bit surprising given Cleveland's needs - though my guess is that they WANTED certain free agents but may have struck out in finalizing the deal. Seems like the bulk of the moves are 1 and 2 year cheap contracts for middle class players who might provide some depth, but shouldn't be counted on as impact starters.

Sign enough of these guys and you WILL have some nice surprises - so that's a solid and proven tactic by the front office there. Low risk, potential high reward - but those moves aren't enough to create a contender. Still, if Mankok has determined that this is a rebuilding year and Cleveland has little chance of contending, there's no need to overpay for such free agents now.

Some seem to think that one can just largely sit out of free agency and build a strong team through the draft. That's a dangerous foundation - the draft should be looked at as building talent for the NEXT few seasons - many players need 2,3, even 4 years to develop into big contributors. But again, it'd be wise of the Browns to trade back and go for quantity of players in the draft - draft enough guys, even in later rounds and you stand a good chance of being surprised and getting some contributors.

The Trade phase t has obviously started - but will run all through pre-season... so there's a lot yet to happen there.

If I were a Cleveland fan, holding out hope for a competitive season THIS season I'd be hoping that Mankok will be active in working trades through the summer, seeing as they need veteran leadership and experience on this team now more than ever.

Interestingly, last season when Mangini's job was on the line he was exceptionally active in the free agent market - and all that got him was a defacto 8-8 season. This season, feeling a little bit TOO secure IMO ManKok have refrained from making any real big splash moves - unable or unwilling to pull the trigger on the high risk high reward top free agents.

All things considered that may be the wiser move for now - though my feeling is as much as Mangini and Tannenbaum were TOO ACTIVE far in free agency in 2008, Mankok is being far too INACTIVE in 2009 as they feel secure in their jobs.

Overall I'd give them a C+ thus far, with the potential for a much higher grade on some of the bargain free agents they've brought in.

What grades would others give?

I'm impressed with Mangini because he's the first coach that brought his own private stalker to our board when he was hired.

I'm impressed with Kokinis because Steeler and Patriot fans seem to think its pronounced "cock-in-ass" and they get all flushed.

Zombo

I'm impressed with Mangini because he's the first coach that brought his own private stalker to our board when he was hired.

I'm impressed with Kokinis because Steeler and Patriot fans seem to think its pronounced "cock-in-ass" and they get all flushed.

Zombo

That was classic Zombo :lol:

Archived