THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign David Patten

EERSandBROWNS

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The Browns are bringing back David Patten to help fill their void at wide receiver, General Manager George Kokinis said at NFL owners meetings today.

"We're going to sign him. It's another veteran leader, experienced," Kokinis said.

Patten will be 35 on Aug. 19. He played for the Browns in the 2000 season and then experienced a couple Super Bowl championships with the New England Patriots. Patten spent the past two seasons with New Orleans.

He has 324 catches in his 13-year NFL career.

The Browns are thin at receiver and don't know if Donte Stallworth will play for them in 2009. Stallworth could be facing legal problems as a result of a fatal car accident in Miami Beach on March 14.

"We had David in before the Stallworth incident occurred, so that signing wasn't really triggered by that," Kokinis said.

The addition of Patten coincides with a report from New York that the Browns engaged in trade talks with the Giants about Braylon Edwards.

Kokinis confirmed he spoke with Giants General Manager Jerry Reese during the NFL combine in Indianapolis last month, but said nothing came of it.

"We exchanged ideas about everything, but nothing really culminated into specifics," he said. "I'm excited to have Braylon on this team. He brings a dimension that not a lot of receivers can bring in relation to going up and attacking the football. He had extremely good production a couple years ago and we're anticipating he has that this year."

Grossi

Guest ATENEARS

What was the gift the Browns are giving season tickets holders if they sign-up for a plan by April 1st? Was it a small plastic seat replica, with yout seat number on it?

Yeah ... along those lines ...

Patton will most likely be a one and done signing. You can't count on Cribbs and steptoe as a slot receiver. A guy like Patton is also injury protection. When Stallworth went down last year before the season started, we didn't have a veteran receiver to step in so the teams just rolled their coverage to Edwards and brought 8 in the box.

Hey Patton could end up a #4 receiver but at least we have something to fall back on.

Eh.. not impressed. Much rather have Holt. Did we even talk to Holt?? Maybe he wanted to much money?

I'm sure he's going to want top dollar but with all the QB rumors flying around he has no idea who would be throwing the ball to him here.

I think Patton will make a pretty good possession receiver . He has good hands and knows where the sticks are .

Patton has good hands as i recall but at his age.......he has to have lost a couple steps and may injure easy..they may want him around more for his veteran status perhaps even leadership qualities?

Patten had more success than any other Saints receiver at getting open opposite Marques Colston in '07, converting 88 targets into 54 catches and 792 yards, His 14.7 yards-per-catch average was 17th in the league and 2.5 better than the hobbled Colstonin 07.

Patten only played in 5 games in 08, if he and Edwards can repeat what they did in 07 instead of what happened in 08 this could be a great pickup for us.

Patton will most likely be a one and done signing. You can't count on Cribbs and steptoe as a slot receiver. A guy like Patton is also injury protection. When Stallworth went down last year before the season started, we didn't have a veteran receiver to step in so the teams just rolled their coverage to Edwards and brought 8 in the box.

Hey Patton could end up a #4 receiver but at least we have something to fall back on.

Doesn't that being #4 mean we have a #2 and #3 receiver, because I don't really see one. I see some guys who can catch balls in a pinch, but certainly nothing along the lines of a #2 guy (yet).

I can see Patten being one of the starting WRs. That doesn't really say much about our other talent at receiver.

Pretty incredible that, after 4 years, we're still as thin (maybe thinner?) at receiver as when Opie/RAC took over.

What was the gift the Browns are giving season tickets holders if they sign-up for a plan by April 1st? Was it a small plastic seat replica, with yout seat number on it?

Yeah ... along those lines ...

LOL...I hear ya......but you are also entered in to a drawing for free seats and superbowl tickets......plus the plastic seat......you can still get the plastic seat if they are paid my may 1(I think)

Been debating today if i should pay up this week or stretch it out a bit.

Guess i might as well pay up because i know i am going to....too late and too bad with everything to sell off the PSL's...figure i need to keep the seats at least 2-3 more years before i could walk away from the PSL's and not feel like I lost money.

not too crazy about this pickup.. Ok for a 4th or 5th guy... but we still need the 2 and 3 spot if DS is jailed/suspended as planned.. There are a few guys in this group better/ younger/ or at least more upside than patten. that we can look at.. not crazy about giving a pick for any of these "tendered" guys but there are a few worth having.. I'm not in love with any of these guys..but there are a few guys who can fill the 3 spot.. I think we need to fill the 2 spot in the draft with a highish pick. push come to shove..furry would be my top choice of the true free agents

here is what i found in no particular order or preference.

Drew Carter, Raiders. Age: 27.

Ben Obomanu (ERFA), Seahawks. Age: 25.

Hank Baskett (RFA), Eagles. Age: 26. - Tendered by Eagles (2nd round)

Miles Austin (RFA), Cowboys. Age: 25. - Tendered by Cowboys (2nd round)

David Clowney (RFA), Jets. Age: 24.

Sam Hurd (RFA), Cowboys. Age: 24. - Tendered by Cowboys (2nd round)

Demetrius Williams (RFA), Ravens. Age: 26.

D.J. Hackett, Panthers. Age: 28.

Ruvell Martin (RFA), Packers. Age: 27. - Tendered by Packers

Drew Bennett, Rams. Age: 31.

Jerry Porter, Jaguars. Age: 31.

Eric Parker, Chargers. Age: 30.

Mike Furrey, Lions. Age: 32.

Brandon Lloyd, Bears. Age: 28.

Darrell Jackson, Broncos. Age: 30.

Dane Looker, Rams. Age: 33.

Roydell Williams, Titans. Age: 28.

Kelley Washington, Patriots. Age: 30.

Marty Booker, Bears. Age: 33.

Eh.. not impressed. Much rather have Holt. Did we even talk to Holt?? Maybe he wanted to much money?

Holt is a high profile WR of the same ilk as T.O, he most definitely wants to get paid and the Browns would be stupid to invest that kind of money in a aging WR. T.O on the other hand is most definitely up there but he's a physical freak where as Holt is not and his productivity has suffered a bit over the last couple years. David Patten is a good locker room presence and he knows what it feels like to win football games. He's not going to lite up the score board but he'll be a solid veteran leadership kind of guy. I don't think it's a phenomenal signing but certainly not a bad one and if you can move Braylon for some help on defense and a draft pick I say Kokinis or however you spell his last name and Mangini are doing pretty well. My two cents.

I think for right now the staff is happy with 1-2 year deals.....knowing what they want and the type of players they want, and the only guys willing to do 2 year deals are older players.

This is going to be a drafted team.

As for Patton....he is a pro who can catch...as someone else said....sort of like JJ in the stage of his career.

I don't have a problem with the move. Patton is going to be an asset next year, and maybe one after that.

Since trade talks regarding Braylon have been confirmed, does that mean he is gonna pull a Cutler and throw a hissy fit?

-Al

I doubt it.....because I think he wants to go.

He has his fingers crossed.

Doesn't that being #4 mean we have a #2 and #3 receiver, because I don't really see one. I see some guys who can catch balls in a pinch, but certainly nothing along the lines of a #2 guy (yet).

I can see Patten being one of the starting WRs. That doesn't really say much about our other talent at receiver.

Pretty incredible that, after 4 years, we're still as thin (maybe thinner?) at receiver as when Opie/RAC took over.

I said he could end up a #4 receiver. That's "could"............................meaning he comes to camp and we see what he has. It also means they shouldn't be done looking at WRs. If we don't pick Crabtree then we should pick a WR with one of our #2s. At best that puts Patton in the slot. If Cribbs is given a fair chance or we sign another FA Patton "could" be a #4 which isn't bad to have a veteran like him as a backup.

So, being a #4 means we need "could" and "should" be looking for a #2 and #3. A #2 in the draft and a #3 from what we have and FA. Crabtree would be a great #2, most likely a #1, if drafted at 5. If we go for a LB at #5 then Britt, Iglesias or Robiskie could be a nice #2 if picked in the second round.

My point was we shouldn't be done by signing WRs with Patton because he should be a slot #3, at best.

Another take with included dialogue about the qbs.

By Patrick McManamon

Beacon Journal columnist

DANA POINT, Calif.: The Browns have not "shopped" quarterback Brady Quinn or wide receiver Braylon Edwards on the trade market, GM George Kokinis said Monday at the NFL's annual meetings

Kokinis sat down during a lunch break and addressed many issues related to the Browns — including trade rumors surrounding Quinn and Edwards.

Asked specifically if he had shopped Quinn and Edwards, Kokinis said no.

He did say the team will sign free agent receiver David Patten soon. Patten fits a category of other free agent signings, which bring experienced veterans who can provide leadership, Kokinis said. Patten played for the Browns in 2000.

Regarding trades, Kokinis said he had talked with Giants GM Jerry Reese at the scouting combine about his team's roster, but said he had no specific talks about trading Edwards to New York.

He said he expects Quinn and Derek Anderson to be on the team come training camp, and he's eager to see which one adapts best to the new offense.

The team will await legal results on the status of wide receiver Donte Stallworth before making a decision his status. Stallworth hit and killed a pedestrian on Miami Beach while driving his Bentley; results of blood tests taken on Stallworth at the scene have yet to be released. Kokinis said the Browns let him return to the team last week because it provided him some stability.

Finally, Kokinis said the disagreement with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is on the way toward working itself out, and he said Rogers would fulfill all the requirements of his contract. That sounds like Rogers will be at the mandatory minicamps, but might miss the remainder of the voluntary offseason workout program.

Kokinis said he did not demand Rogers lose weight, that Rogers dominated at his weight last season. He indicated the team's strength coach might have suggester Rogers lose weight, but no demand was made from Kokinis.

More from this interview during the day on McManamon's blog and in Tuesday's Akron Beacon Journal.

Another take with included dialogue about the qbs.

By Patrick McManamon

Beacon Journal columnist

DANA POINT, Calif.: The Browns have not "shopped" quarterback Brady Quinn or wide receiver Braylon Edwards on the trade market, GM George Kokinis said Monday at the NFL's annual meetings

Kokinis sat down during a lunch break and addressed many issues related to the Browns — including trade rumors surrounding Quinn and Edwards.

Asked specifically if he had shopped Quinn and Edwards, Kokinis said no.

He did say the team will sign free agent receiver David Patten soon. Patten fits a category of other free agent signings, which bring experienced veterans who can provide leadership, Kokinis said. Patten played for the Browns in 2000.

Regarding trades, Kokinis said he had talked with Giants GM Jerry Reese at the scouting combine about his team's roster, but said he had no specific talks about trading Edwards to New York.

He said he expects Quinn and Derek Anderson to be on the team come training camp, and he's eager to see which one adapts best to the new offense.

The team will await legal results on the status of wide receiver Donte Stallworth before making a decision his status. Stallworth hit and killed a pedestrian on Miami Beach while driving his Bentley; results of blood tests taken on Stallworth at the scene have yet to be released. Kokinis said the Browns let him return to the team last week because it provided him some stability.

Finally, Kokinis said the disagreement with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is on the way toward working itself out, and he said Rogers would fulfill all the requirements of his contract. That sounds like Rogers will be at the mandatory minicamps, but might miss the remainder of the voluntary offseason workout program.

Kokinis said he did not demand Rogers lose weight, that Rogers dominated at his weight last season. He indicated the team's strength coach might have suggester Rogers lose weight, but no demand was made from Kokinis.

More from this interview during the day on McManamon's blog and in Tuesday's Akron Beacon Journal.

That's the most said by the new regime since their hiring. Glad he put some rumors to rest and stopped some speculation. Now, that doesn't mean there won't be a trade, it just means they aren't shopping them. If someone comes calling they will listen.

I said he could end up a #4 receiver. That's "could"............................meaning he comes to camp and we see what he has. It also means they shouldn't be done looking at WRs. If we don't pick Crabtree then we should pick a WR with one of our #2s. At best that puts Patton in the slot. If Cribbs is given a fair chance or we sign another FA Patton "could" be a #4 which isn't bad to have a veteran like him as a backup.

So, being a #4 means we need "could" and "should" be looking for a #2 and #3. A #2 in the draft and a #3 from what we have and FA. Crabtree would be a great #2, most likely a #1, if drafted at 5. If we go for a LB at #5 then Britt, Iglesias or Robiskie could be a nice #2 if picked in the second round.

My point was we shouldn't be done by signing WRs with Patton because he should be a slot #3, at best.

Got it. It seemed maybe you were happy with what's on roster now. I know I'm not.

I think the big problem is we really don't know what we have on roster; RAC and Phil made such a cluster-xxxx mess of it, it's difficult to judge. I have no idea how Mangini and Kokinis can do it this early.

Got it. It seemed maybe you were happy with what's on roster now. I know I'm not.

I think the big problem is we really don't know what we have on roster; RAC and Phil made such a cluster-xxxx mess of it, it's difficult to judge. I have no idea how Mangini and Kokinis can do it this early.

I think there are guys on the roster that the new staff has no clue about because they never got a chance to play last year. But, believe me I don't like our roster and hope there are more changes. I'm one that says draft Crabtree at #5 and take your OLB at #36. There is more value at LB at #36 compared to Orakpo then there is WRs compared to Crabtree. Personally, I'm just not sold on Orakpo and think Crabtree would be the best player available, by far.

Now, Seattle takes Crabtree and we don't have Curry or Crabtree to pick, try like hell to trade down.

I think there are guys on the roster that the new staff has no clue about because they never got a chance to play last year. But, believe me I don't like our roster and hope there are more changes. I'm one that says draft Crabtree at #5 and take your OLB at #36. There is more value at LB at #36 compared to Orakpo then there is WRs compared to Crabtree. Personally, I'm just not sold on Orakpo and think Crabtree would be the best player available, by far.

Now, Seattle takes Crabtree and we don't have Curry or Crabtree to pick, try like hell to trade down.

If the Browns are talking to the Giants about Edwards then you have to think they are going with Crabtree at #5

Archived